Griffey Jr Hits #600

GoBengals

Too bad it's being met with a collective yawn by most folks.

I was heartened by the classy reception he received in Philadelphia and Florida, though.

Guess that's what happens when you're not a cheating pile of shit...

[quote name='Bunghole' post='671882' date='Jun 10 2008, 02:52 PM']I think it's better that he finally got it out of the way. It was like a millstone around his neck.[/quote]

People keep saying that but it was only 17 at bats in between 599 and 600 and he had been hitting like .400 plus in those 17 at bats with like 8 walks or something.

Griffey said something that pissed me off in his interview. It basically reassured me that he was a pansy and didnt have any "WANT" left in him.

He said something along the lines of "You know i dont snap, i dont throw things, i dont get pissed off, after the game i have to go home and be a husband and father, i cant let baseball affect the way im a dad"

Sum that up and hes basically saying

"I DONT GIVE A SHIT WHAT HAPPENS ON THE FIELD"

I hate guys like that "non-chalaunt"<<<spelling attitude.

I think the reds are seriously lacking PASSION and that WANT you need to win a series. These guys are just going threw the motions and collecting checks. And griffey passes that atmosphere throughout the whole team.

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='671900' date='Jun 10 2008, 04:34 PM']Griffey said something that pissed me off in his interview. It basically reassured me that he was a pansy and didnt have any "WANT" left in him.

He said something along the lines of "You know i dont snap, i dont throw things, i dont get pissed off, after the game i have to go home and be a husband and father, i cant let baseball affect the way im a dad"

I think the reds are seriously lacking PASSION and that WANT you need to win a series. These guys are just going threw the motions and collecting checks. And griffey passes that atmosphere throughout the whole team.[/quote]

So your saying you would be a pissed off asshole to your family if you didn't play well? Because it looks like he is saying he doesn't want to go home and be a dickface to everyone because he can't hit 600.

[quote name='JC' post='671904' date='Jun 10 2008, 03:43 PM']So your saying you would be a pissed off asshole to your family if you didn't play well? Because it looks like he is saying he doesn't want to go home and be a dickface to everyone because he can't hit 600.[/quote]

In other words he doesn't want to act like Bonds...

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='671900' date='Jun 10 2008, 03:34 PM']Griffey said something that pissed me off in his interview. It basically reassured me that he was a pansy and didnt have any "WANT" left in him.

I think the reds are seriously lacking PASSION and that WANT you need to win a series. These guys are just going threw the motions and collecting checks. And griffey passes that atmosphere throughout the whole team.[/quote]

so you're knocking the guy for being a mature adult? There are plenty of ways to show passion without pulling an Ocho Stinko.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='671912' date='Jun 10 2008, 04:52 PM']so you're knocking the guy for being a mature adult? There are plenty of ways to show passion without pulling an Ocho Stinko.[/quote]

name one of the ways griffey does.

Does he show it on the field?
-by hussling out ground balls.
-by getting in the ready position every pitch.
-by showing emotion after a team-mate makes a great play

Does he do it in the dug-out
-By being a strong motivator.
-By always paying attention to the game while his team-mates are batting.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='671886' date='Jun 10 2008, 02:12 PM']People keep saying that but it was only 17 at bats in between 599 and 600 and he had been hitting like .400 plus in those 17 at bats with like 8 walks or something.[/quote]
Yeah, but how long was that drought between 598 and 599? Over a month, wasn't it?

I don't hate Griff, I'm happy for him. I'm simply saying that I think he was pressing to get to that milestone, and now I hope bats better now that it's out of the way.

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='671919' date='Jun 10 2008, 05:56 PM']name one of the ways griffey does.

Does he show it on the field?
-by hussling out ground balls.
[b]-by getting in the ready position every pitch.
-by showing emotion after a team-mate makes a great play[/b]

Does he do it in the dug-out
-By being a strong motivator.
-By always paying attention to the game while his team-mates are batting.[/quote]

Nice way of completely ignoring my comments. Sure griffey's got his faults, but you wanting him to act like an immature child isn't the way to show passion. That's the topic at hand.

I'd say he does the bolded, and would say he's a motivator in the dugout as motivated by interviews from many of his current and past teammates. As far as the last part, I think every ballplayer is guilty of that one.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='671926' date='Jun 10 2008, 07:04 PM']Nice way of completely ignoring my comments. Sure griffey's got his faults, but you wanting him to act like an immature child isn't the way to show passion. That's the topic at hand.

I'd say he does the bolded, and would say he's a motivator in the dugout as motivated by interviews from many of his current and past teammates. As far as the last part, I think every ballplayer is guilty of that one.[/quote]

How did i ignore your comment.

Your comment was stupid anyhow.

Of course i dont want him to act like an immature child. But i hate that "oh well" attitude. And i can garuntee you great players and great Leaders that have won a world series. DID NOT HAVE "OH WELL" Attitudes.

You think Pete Rose went home at night after a bad game and a loss and didnt care. You think he just said fuck it oh well. I still got my check.

Hell no. Petey came out the game with an attitude that shit aint happening again.

You ever heard of the term "Batting with an attitude"

You dont have to act like an immature child to have passion about something. But saying something like what griffey said and looking at his actions on the field one can only conclude his initial thoughts that GRIFFEY JUST DONT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT WINNING or being a good leader and role model to his teammates.

BTW i believe you bolded the Getting in the ready position every time out on the field.

I can gauruntee you he doesnt.

I sat and watched him multiple times in a row through out the entire pitch stand out in right field with his hands on his knees.

Pete Rose is also a laughingstock who is disliked around baseball for the qualities you describe. It is refreshing to watch a ballplayer like Griffey who knows there are more important things for him than the game. Look at Pete Rose Jr. - no surprise he is a louse who has done time for dealing steroids. Jr is a credit to Griffey Sr and Birdie, and the young Griffeys are being raised likewise.

I don't have any problem with Griffey leaving work at work. Every broadcaster I've ever heard has at one point mentioned that all great closers forget about blown saves when they leave the clubhouse, and come back like it never happened. I suppose you despise this sort of nonchalance, though - 'they gave away the game, and didn't go home and beat their wife!'

As for Griffey not appearing spry and energetic...don't forget that this is what 38 year old ballplayers look like when they're not on the juice and have played on astroturf for over a decade. Griffey has had fluid drained from his knee, and gets regular cortisone shots there.

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='672055' date='Jun 11 2008, 10:45 AM']How did i ignore your comment.

Your comment was stupid anyhow.

Of course i dont want him to act like an immature child. But i hate that "oh well" attitude. And i can garuntee you great players and great Leaders that have won a world series. DID NOT HAVE "OH WELL" Attitudes.

You think Pete Rose went home at night after a bad game and a loss and didnt care. You think he just said fuck it oh well. I still got my check.

Hell no. Petey came out the game with an attitude that shit aint happening again.

You ever heard of the term "Batting with an attitude"

You dont have to act like an immature child to have passion about something. But saying something like what griffey said and looking at his actions on the field one can only conclude his initial thoughts that GRIFFEY JUST DONT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT WINNING or being a good leader and role model to his teammates.

BTW i believe you bolded the Getting in the ready position every time out on the field.

I can gauruntee you he doesnt.

I sat and watched him multiple times in a row through out the entire pitch stand out in right field with his hands on his knees.[/quote]

you ignored the comment by not adressing it. Pretty simple concept.

As I said there are plenty of ways to show passion, and there is nothing wrong with separating work and home, which was the point of the quote you're griping about. You're pissed because he doesn't let work affect his attitude at home. That's something we should all aspire to do. There's no reason a ball player can't separate the two and still have the attitude that you want them to have.

The # 1 key in sports, or anything really, is not to get too emotional. Then you start to loose focus.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='672064' date='Jun 11 2008, 11:12 AM']Pete Rose is also a laughingstock who is disliked around baseball for the qualities you describe. .[/quote]

The rest of your post is null after a comment like that. :lol:

Pete rose is disliked around baseball for his hussel and passion for the game. :lol:

Thanks for posting:)

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='672073' date='Jun 11 2008, 11:27 AM']As I said there are plenty of ways to show passion, and there is nothing wrong with separating work and home, which was the point of the quote you're griping about. You're pissed because he doesn't let work affect his attitude at home. That's something we should all aspire to do. There's no reason a ball player can't separate the two and still have the attitude that you want them to have.[/quote]

Your entire point is still hovering around the immature child Bullshit.

Griffey has a "oh well" attitude. Period. He doesnt have enough want to win a championship so he never will. That makes hima plague on this team.

He doesnt hussel out balls. He acts like his shit dont stink. He does his homerun walk when balls barely reach the warning track. (which has rubbed off on Brandon phillips who now does this as well)

As long as this team has griffey this team will go nowhere. PERIOD!

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='672080' date='Jun 11 2008, 12:11 PM']The rest of your post is null after a comment like that. :lol:

Pete rose is disliked around baseball for his hussel and passion for the game. :lol:

Thanks for posting:)

Your entire point is still hovering around the immature child Bullshit.

Griffey has a "oh well" attitude. Period. He doesnt have enough want to win a championship so he never will. That makes hima plague on this team.

He doesnt hussel out balls. He acts like his shit dont stink. He does his homerun walk when balls barely reach the warning track. (which has rubbed off on Brandon phillips who now does this as well)

As long as this team has griffey this team will go nowhere. PERIOD![/quote]

I think your dislike for Griffey is clouding your objectivity and I'll leave it at that.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='672086' date='Jun 11 2008, 12:38 PM']I think your dislike for Griffey is clouding your objectivity and I'll leave it at that.[/quote]

I think its partly cloudy but i can still see the sun.

And just to let it be known. I LOVED GRIFFEY AS A KID>

I would always buy his swingman batting gloves they came up with every year. I was absolutely ecstatic when they first got him to the reds.

And then i saw him play everyday and realized how he really is. Than he got hurt and the rest is history. He took 8 yrs to hit 200homeruns with the reds.

He took 4yrs to perform the same feat. with the mariners.

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='672094' date='Jun 11 2008, 01:18 PM']I think its partly cloudy but i can still see the sun.

And just to let it be known. I LOVED GRIFFEY AS A KID>

I would always buy his swingman batting gloves they came up with every year. I was absolutely ecstatic when they first got him to the reds.

And then i saw him play everyday and realized how he really is. Than he got hurt and the rest is history. He took 8 yrs to hit 200homeruns with the reds.

[b]He took 4yrs to perform the same feat. with the mariners.[/b][/quote]

ever heard of these things called injuries? And if you want to get technical, it took him 7 years to get to 200 homeruns as a Mariner, not 4yrs. Not sure where you made that one up from unless you're wanting to just use his last 4yrs in seattle, which isn't what you said.

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='672080' date='Jun 11 2008, 12:11 PM']The rest of your post is null after a comment like that. :lol:

Thanks for posting:)[/quote]

[img]http://images.onesite.com/thelotd.com/user/squibber/sorry.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='672109' date='Jun 11 2008, 01:36 PM']ever heard of these things called injuries? And if you want to get technical, it took him 7 years to get to 200 homeruns as a Mariner, not 4yrs. Not sure where you made that one up from unless you're wanting to just use his last 4yrs in seattle, which isn't what you said.[/quote]

Ever heard of hooked on phonics. My post clearly says "And then he got hurt."

yes his last 4 yrs with the mariners.

Now you understand. Or do you need pictures.

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='672180' date='Jun 11 2008, 04:01 PM']Ever heard of hooked on phonics. My post clearly says "And then he got hurt."

yes his last 4 yrs with the mariners.

Now you understand. Or do you need pictures.[/quote]

umm yea, I saw it. Then you went and still made a comment that completely left the injuries out of context. It's completely moronic to point out that he started getting injured, and then try to make a point where injuries directly shoot down the point you're trying to make. Of coure he did it quicker in seattle genius, he was healthy.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='672183' date='Jun 11 2008, 04:07 PM']umm yea, I saw it. Then you went and still made a comment that completely left the injuries out of context. It's completely moronic to point out that he started getting injured, and then try to make a point where injuries directly shoot down the point you're trying to make. Of coure he did it quicker in seattle genius, he was healthy.[/quote]

He was hitting 50+hrs a year in seattle genious.

He has never been on pace for something like that with the reds.

You mr. Genious are fighting a losing battle. Are you seriously sitting here argueing the fact that Griffey has been something other than a HUGE dissapointment since he came to the reds.

Good luck with that battle.

Archived