Backfire? Tactics could get Burress, Chad Johnson suspended

[quote][size=5][b]Backfire? Tactics could get Burress, Chad Johnson suspended [/b][/size]
Posted: June 13, 2008

There's a new trend among disgruntled NFL players who believe they have "outperformed" their contracts. Because boycotting mandatory offseason minicamps triggers a maximum fine of $8,638 per day, some players have opted to report for the mandatory sessions but then do nothing.

New York Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress and Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson, among others, have tried this in recent days. Both want more money. Both avoided practicing during the opening sessions of their minicamps.

It's a great loophole for those who want to withhold service without withholding attendance. And I'm amazed no one thought of it sooner.

Actually, I'm not amazed, because the strategy is reckless and stupid and ultimately could cause even bigger problems for the players who attend but not participate.

Though the NFL's club discipline schedule does not expressly allow teams to fine players for refusing to practice, the collective bargaining agreement permits a team to fine or suspend a player for engaging in conduct detrimental to the team. Surely, refusing to practice when otherwise healthy constitutes detrimental conduct.

(Note: Johnson's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, claims Johnson has a bum ankle, although Johnson first said it was a back injury and told coach Marvin Lewis that the issue was about business. Johnson did pass a physical and was cleared to practice. Burress did have ankle problems last season and a knee problem in the Super Bowl, but he says he won't practice no matter his physical status until he has a new contract.)

Refusing to practice is, in fact, the essence of conduct detrimental to the team because it defies the entire concept of "team," in which each member has a job to do and does it.

Under Article VIII, Section 1 of the CBA, the maximum permissible fine for conduct detrimental to the team is one week's pay. The maximum permissible suspension is four games without pay.

In addition to (and separate from) any fine or suspension for conduct detrimental to the team, refusing to practice also jeopardizes the player's signing bonus, if the player's contract contains appropriate forfeiture language. Though recovery under contracts signed after February 2006 is limited to 25 percent of the current year's signing bonus allocation, it's still a significant amount of money.

For example, if a player in 2007 signed a four-year deal with a $4 million signing bonus, $1 million of that bonus would apply to the current season. A refusal to practice could require the player to cough up up to 25 percent of that season's prorated bonus ($250,000, in this example).

It's unclear whether Burress or Johnson considered all this when deciding to attend a mandatory minicamp session but refusing to practice.

Burress' strategy extended into a second day, possibly because he believes the Giants won't risk making a bad situation worse by suspending him or trying to recover money that already has been paid.

Johnson participated, at least partially, in the afternoon practice Thursday, perhaps because he and Rosenhaus, who also represents Burress, realize the Bengals are more likely to take a hard line with Johnson, just as the Philadelphia Eagles did three years ago with wide receiver Terrell Owens, another Rosenhaus client.

Regardless of how the Giants and Bengals deal with their rogue players, any failure by teams to take a stand against such disruptive behavior will result in more of it, and players who want more money will look for more ways to pressure teams into caving.

The core of the problem continues to be a belief in some circles that, because the current compensation system between the league and the players' union permits teams to cut underperforming players with years left on their contracts, fairness dictates that the players should have a similar tool available to them when they outperform their contracts. But the players bargained for the current system; if they want to change the system, they need to take it up with union officials in the next round of bargaining.

And just as the system doesn't permit players to fire their teams, the system also prevents players from choosing when and where they'll practice. That same system also allows teams to take action against players who fail or refuse to follow the rules.

If NFL teams opt not to pursue their rights, players will continue to ignore rules whenever doing so helps them achieve their objectives of getting new, bigger contracts.

Mike Florio, a practicing attorney, is the legal analyst for Sporting News.[/quote]

[url="http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=423010"]http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=423010[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]Chad Johnson Shows For Bengal Camp For Free Food[/b][/size]
By Andrea Madsen

Chad Johnson, who had threatened to hold out from reporting to camp with the Cincinnati Bengals arrived on Thursday. He claims he changed his mind about the hold out when he realized he would miss the free food.

It is customary for players to receive free food in the locker room during camp. Johnson had said he was going to stay away from camp unless the Bengals traded him, but the lure of the free food was too great.

"I'm an eating man. I like my food, and although I have the money to eat at any restaurant I want, I figured I'd punish the Bengals by showing up and eating as much of their food as I can," said Johnson, looking unusually big on his first day of camp.

This does not mean that Johnson is here to play football. He made it very clear to reporters that he was only in camp for the food. according to a source within the organization, Johnson has been splurging in the locker room.

"I thought he might not have eaten all off season the way he was putting down those ribs. If he keeps eating like this, he'll be in no shape to play football," said the source.

That might be just what Johnson is banking on. He has been trying to force a trade all off season, and he may be hoping the overeating of the free food forces the hand of the Bengals. Team reps, however, claim Johnson has another thing coming if that is what he believes.

"We'll serve liver and chicken gizzards and make the whole team suffer before we trade Chad," said team chef, Brian Wadler.[/quote]

[url="http://www.sportssatire.com/articles/26/1/174/Chad-Johnson-Shows-For-Bengal-Camp-For-Free-Food/Page1.html"]http://www.sportssatire.com/articles/26/1/...Food/Page1.html[/url]

how is it that drew hasnt been blackballed under the table yet?

it has to be coming...

has there been any player who isnt a drew rosenhaus client to act this way?

ANY?

lance briggs - drew
moss - drew
to - drew
burress - drew
chad - drew
earnest graham bitching about deal in tampa after a whopping 898 yards rushing - drew

i googled holding out for more money fl players and got nothing but drews clients.. aside from rookies...which isnt uncommon...

thats fucked up

[quote name='GoBengals' post='672970' date='Jun 13 2008, 10:13 PM']how is it that drew hasnt been blackballed under the table yet?

it has to be coming...

ANY?

lance briggs - drew
moss - drew
to - drew
burress - drew
chad - drew
earnest graham bitching about deal in tampa after a whopping 898 yards rushing - drew

i googled holding out for more money fl players and got nothing but drews clients.. aside from rookies...which isnt uncommon...

thats fucked up[/quote]

He does live in Miami!!!!!

why don't we get a collection and payoff BJ to Whack that mother fucker :hmm:

[quote name='GoBengals' post='672970' date='Jun 13 2008, 09:13 PM']how is it that drew hasnt been blackballed under the table yet?

it has to be coming...

ANY?

lance briggs - drew
moss - drew
to - drew
burress - drew
chad - drew

thats fucked up[/quote]

You forgot Shockey, Winslow, and Boldin...hell even Kassim Osgood of the Chargers is bitching about his role and requesting a trade.

On the subject of stupid holdouts...I think topping the list would be Joe Horn in ATL. He had a whopping 27 rec for 243 yards and 1 TD, yet he's bitching about money.

[quote name='jza10304' post='672989' date='Jun 13 2008, 09:56 PM']You forgot Shockey, Winslow, and Boldin...hell even Kassim Osgood of the Chargers is bitching about his role and requesting a trade.

On the subject of stupid holdouts...I think topping the list would be Joe Horn in ATL. He had a whopping 27 rec for 243 yards and 1 TD, yet he's bitching about money.[/quote]

mike mckenzie

Archived