** POSTGAME THREAD ** - Thoughts and analysis.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='690881' date='Aug 23 2008, 11:37 PM']new to football? we understand. we have rotated guys at 3 of the 5 positions. center has had eric and bobbie, hell whitworth tried in camp, guard has had bobbie and stacy, and rt has had stacy and willie, and certainly they havent played a game together in god knows how long.. levi recovered from injury last year, illie was gone almost the whole year, whitworth played LT and LG, and Center had more than one starter as well,

or do you not know the definition of continuity?

they dont just exchange phone numbers and facebook pages and all the sudden gel together. it may take a regular season game or two to even get to a good place playing together, whomever starts once the season hits. how can you possibly have missed all of last season and ignore the positon experiments and changes so far this offseason? seriously?[/quote]

I'm kind of wondering why they didn't try Stacy in Whits spot? We tried alot and I think the idea is to get the best 5 guy lineup out of the 6 good linemen we have. I still don't see Andrews as better then a healthy Willie.

[quote name='Memphis_Bengal' post='690884' date='Aug 24 2008, 12:47 AM']Ok...great. No continuity on the OL. Nice built in excuse for another year of failing to reach the playoffs. I mean...no NFL team could be expected to overcome injuries. Only the Bengals have losses like that.[/quote]

alrighty then.. i guess the part where i said it might take 1-2 regular season games, yes a whopping max 2 games to gel is soemhow an excuse for playoffs? what the hell are you even talking about? do you actually have ANY opinion that isnt a braud heard on 1530 generalization? "they looked horrible" really? why? blow off the snap? getting beat off the edges? what EXACTLY did you SEE that you didnt like from any specific player?

[quote name='ccartman2' post='690885' date='Aug 24 2008, 12:48 AM']I'm kind of wondering why they didn't try Stacy in Whits spot? We tried alot and I think the idea is to get the best 5 guy lineup out of the 6 good linemen we have. I still don't see Andrews as better then a healthy Willie.[/quote]

ive never seen a oline guy switch sides, that or dont remember it.. wonder if its that much different of a spot to learn with everything being on the opposite side of you...

im all about talking about the shitty points, at least of players who will still be in the league come next weekend. .... anyone have a player or situation to bitch about. or disagree with any assessment of the guys i saw doing things good or better?

the whole "they fuckin suxzorz!!11 argument is pretty boring and pointless.. certainly wasnt a good game, i dont think we schemed for the opponent even the tiniest bit..

does anyone know if they plan and watch film of the team in preseason or is it not worth game planning for a roster of 80 guys with your roster of 80 guys?

if they gameplanned for this we have some o and D playcalling issues, but if not, then it explains a lot of wierd zone vs man coverage calls and why a safety was covering a top 2 wr on a deep route alone and a SLB was covering a te across the field alone in the endzone.

i was just assuming we were trying out formations and how teams react to them more than an actual gameplan for the saints..

[quote name='Memphis_Bengal' post='690884' date='Aug 23 2008, 11:47 PM']Ok...great. No continuity on the OL. Nice built in excuse for another year of failing to reach the playoffs. I mean...no NFL team could be expected to overcome injuries. Only the Bengals have losses like that.[/quote]

It is not an excuse, it is a fact. Anyone who has ever played on the OL, at any level, can tell you that. It is not easy learning multiple spots and knowing all the calls that go with them. That screws things up. Also when you play next to the same guy for a long period of time, you get used to their strengths and weaknesses and you learn to work within that. When you keep moving people around, you are constantly having to deal with new issues on top of having to keep track of what calls go with what position.

The talent is there. We have seen how good these guys can be. As the regular season approaches, they are going to have less time to practice. That is less time for them to experiment with different alignments. They will have to settle on one first unit and one secon unit. That way. All Whit will have to do is know LG, Bobbie only has to know RG, Stacy only has to know RT. That will focus the group. That will allow them to better understand each other.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='690897' date='Aug 24 2008, 12:06 AM']willie anderson has never played as bad as he played today. he was getting schooled in the 4th quarter by DEs that wont ever see an NFL snap again.[/quote]

I also happened to notice this. Willie did appear to struggle against scrubs today

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='690892' date='Aug 24 2008, 01:03 AM']Yep.

The oline didnt play well at all, but the for the most part kept their men occupied, the blitz pickups were horrible, worst I've seen in a long long time.[/quote]

levi is letting his guy get way too far behind the QB, the pocket should be U shaped, he makes it O shaped with his guy.. seems like lazy play, let him get close but not close enough.. and sometimes thats failing..

[quote name='cinci1fan1' post='690899' date='Aug 24 2008, 01:14 AM']I also happened to notice this. Willie did appear to struggle against scrubs today[/quote]

i was wondering why they started him, i think perhaps it was to prove andrews is the better guy come monday in the film room, i think willie can be productive in an accessory type role for another 1-2 years.. but probably not worth the pricetag after this year..

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='690892' date='Aug 24 2008, 12:03 AM']Yep.

The oline didnt play well at all, but the for the most part kept their men occupied, the blitz pickups were horrible, worst I've seen in a long long time.[/quote]

It looked as though on most of the big sacks, they had Perry going out to receive in the opposite direction. I do wonder if he is good at picking up blitzes though, as I'd imagine he is our starting RB week 1. As nice as it would be to see a three WR set with Utecht & Perry going out to receive as well, we can't very well do that if the D is sending 6 or 7 guys.

[quote name='ccartman2' post='690901' date='Aug 24 2008, 01:17 AM']It looked as though on most of the big sacks, they had Perry going out to receive in the opposite direction. I do wonder if he is good at picking up blitzes though, as I'd imagine he is our starting RB week 1. As nice as it would be to see a three WR set with Utecht & Perry going out to receive as well, we can't very well do that if the D is sending 6 or 7 guys.[/quote]

palmer didnt call many changes at the line, perhaps they werent adjusting to the defensive scheme, hopefully not just plain missing it..

[quote name='GoBengals' post='690891' date='Aug 24 2008, 01:03 AM']im all about talking about the shitty points, at least of players who will still be in the league come next weekend. .... anyone have a player or situation to bitch about. or disagree with any assessment of the guys i saw doing things good or better?

the whole "they fuckin suxzorz!!11 argument is pretty boring and pointless.. certainly wasnt a good game, i dont think we schemed for the opponent even the tiniest bit..

does anyone know if they plan and watch film of the team in preseason or is it not worth game planning for a roster of 80 guys with your roster of 80 guys?

if they gameplanned for this we have some o and D playcalling issues, but if not, then it explains a lot of wierd zone vs man coverage calls and why a safety was covering a top 2 wr on a deep route alone and a SLB was covering a te across the field alone in the endzone.

i was just assuming we were trying out formations and how teams react to them more than an actual gameplan for the saints..[/quote]

Go.

So far, we suck.

There's no getting around it. <_<

Hopefully this isn't what we look like when the games are for real, and before the game all I asked for was no injuries, but I can't honestly find any real postives so far.

We aren't doing anything well.

:mellow:

[quote name='ccartman2' post='690901' date='Aug 24 2008, 12:17 AM']It looked as though on most of the big sacks, they had Perry going out to receive in the opposite direction. I do wonder if he is good at picking up blitzes though, as I'd imagine he is our starting RB week 1. As nice as it would be to see a three WR set with Utecht & Perry going out to receive as well, we can't very well do that if the D is sending 6 or 7 guys.[/quote]

Having both of your pro-bowl WRs out is going to make teams send more guys after the QB, if Chad is done for the year we can expect more of this, even with TJ on the field and ESPESSALLY untill Chris Henry gets back.

I mean damn freaking KK got two sacks.

:mellow:

Not concerned with the team.

I am however, slightly concerned with the chicken Littles and negative nancies.

Listening to the Radio you'd think they just went 0-16 for the fifth straight year, and

WHAH
Marvins Lost the team.... and

WHAH
This teams' sold its good fortune down the styx for giving Slim Chugga another chance....and

WHAJH
how on earth does Marvin still have a job? ....and

WHAH
NO HEART

WHAAAAAA!!!!

and then you catch the replay

NFL NETWORK!!!!

It's ok . . . really, Go's got enough floaties for everyone who fell overboard. There, there, now swim on back.

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='690904' date='Aug 24 2008, 01:20 AM']Go.

So far, we suck.

There's no getting around it. <_<

Hopefully this isn't what we look like when the games are for real, and before the game all I asked for was no injuries, but I can't honestly find any real postives so far.

We aren't doing anything well.

:mellow:[/quote]

pretty tought to have any run game with ZERO threat at WR< and tough to have a pass game obviously as well, the BLANK scoreboard is SLIGHTLY surprising, but honestly, what do you expect with holt/chatman as starters? 7-8 in the box all day will beat us everytime with that lineup. and things arent looking good for chad,

[quote name='GoBengals' post='690909' date='Aug 24 2008, 01:22 AM']pretty tought to have any run game with ZERO threat at WR< and tough to have a pass game obviously as well, the BLANK scoreboard is SLIGHTLY surprising, but honestly, what do you expect with holt/chatman as starters? 7-8 in the box all day will beat us everytime with that lineup. and things arent looking good for chad,[/quote]

Agreed, but like I said, I really can't find any positives from what I've seen so far.

Maybe this game will look better on tape than it looked from my seat. I'm not giving up on the season based on preseason games missing key players, but we look like shit to this point.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='690909' date='Aug 24 2008, 12:22 AM']pretty tought to have any run game with ZERO threat at WR< and tough to have a pass game obviously as well, the BLANK scoreboard is SLIGHTLY surprising, but honestly, what do you expect with holt/chatman as starters? 7-8 in the box all day will beat us everytime with that lineup. and things arent looking good for chad,[/quote]

So, back to Franciso's thread, if chad is out for the year, who is #2 behind TJ. Before he was hurt, I'd said we would be okay with Maxwell, and I think Chatman belongs in the slot. Do you go with Simpson or Caldwell until Slim gets back? Holt is the only other option.

Also, for playing against 3rd stringers, Purify looked like he has potential in the long term.

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='690914' date='Aug 24 2008, 01:34 AM']Agreed, but like I said, I really can't find any positives from what I've seen so far.

[b]Maybe this game will look better on tape than it looked from my seat.[/b] I'm not giving up on the season based on preseason games missing key players, but we look like shit to this point.[/quote]

i doubt it.. haha, it looked pretty bad, and if thats the personnel we have available all year itll stay that bad, but tj helps, chad helps way more, then slim will be back too, our best 3 WR's didnt sniff the field. without chad we will be LUCKY to get 8 wins, with him we have a shot at some success,

[quote name='ccartman2' post='690915' date='Aug 24 2008, 01:36 AM']So, back to Franciso's thread, if chad is out for the year, who is #2 behind TJ. Before he was hurt, I'd said we would be okay with Maxwell, and I think Chatman belongs in the slot. Do you go with Simpson or Caldwell until Slim gets back? Holt is the only other option.

Also, for playing against 3rd stringers, Purify looked like he has potential in the long term.[/quote]

i guess TJ/CHAT/holt with simpson and cladwell on the edge splitting time.. caldwell probably starts before simpson still but simpson will see some endzone set playtime for sure.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='690917' date='Aug 24 2008, 12:41 AM']i doubt it.. haha, it looked pretty bad, and if thats the personnel we have available all year itll stay that bad, but tj helps, chad helps way more, then slim will be back too, our best 3 WR's didnt sniff the field. without chad we will be LUCKY to get 8 wins, with him we have a shot at some success,

i guess TJ/CHAT/holt with simpson and cladwell on the edge splitting time.. caldwell probably starts before simpson still but simpson will see some endzone set playtime for sure.[/quote]

I guess they best part is, we got a glimpse of what the season may have been like with out Chad if he plays. Probably a good thing we didn't trade him. Still, if we did, I would bet we would have drafted a more NFL ready WR before Simpson.

[quote name='ccartman2' post='690921' date='Aug 24 2008, 01:52 AM']I guess they best part is, we got a glimpse of what the season may have been like with out Chad if he plays. Probably a good thing we didn't trade him. Still, if we did, I would bet we would have drafted a more NFL ready WR before Simpson.[/quote]

nah, simpson was a love connection for the coahces for a while i think.. he is a freak.., probably would ahve grabbed a vet somewhere tho.. TJ would help some.. tj and slim then the youngins would be OK but chad is a game changer...

BENGALS OFFENSIVE PLAYBOOK

1st and 10
Hand off and run the back right up behind the pile of people that aren't moving. Lose 2-3 yards.

2nd and 13
Screen pass have receiver run to the edge of the field with nowhere to cut up field. Lose 2-3 yards.

3rd and 16
Send WR's and TE waiting 5 yards short of the first down with defenders all around them and nowhere to go.

PUNT

BENGALS DEFENSIVE PLAYBOOK

Running play
Allow opposing team to get through a hole in the line. While tackling, make sure to wrap arms over top of shoulder pads and slip body downwards allowing RB to gain an extra 3 yards.

Passing play
Do not go near receivers! Give all receivers a 5 yard pad. Once they have the ball, rush them. Instead of wrapping arms over top of shoulder pads, on a passing play all defenders should run into receiver and bounce off. If you do get a grip make sure to let it slip off so your teammate can have some fun tackling too.

Blitzing
Don't do it. If you do, wait until we're so far behind that it doesn't really matter. We don't want to put any undue pressure on the visiting quarterback.

Note: In the event that you do make a very good tackle, after allowing 300+ yards in the first half, you and your teammate should celebrate that tackle like it was the best move in football history. High fives and chest bumps are recommended.

MULLY
this team looks so shitty it's not even funny. I know, it's pre season, it doesn't matter. They're saving the exotic packages for the regular season.

and people wonder why Chad doesn't want to play in Cincinnati. Carson's next.

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='690927' date='Aug 24 2008, 02:41 AM']BENGALS OFFENSIVE PLAYBOOK

1st and 10
Hand off and run the back right up behind the pile of people that aren't moving. Lose 2-3 yards.

2nd and 13
Screen pass have receiver run to the edge of the field with nowhere to cut up field. Lose 2-3 yards.

3rd and 16
Send WR's and TE waiting 5 yards short of the first down with defenders all around them and nowhere to go.

PUNT

BENGALS DEFENSIVE PLAYBOOK

Running play
Allow opposing team to get through a hole in the line. While tackling, make sure to wrap arms over top of shoulder pads and slip body downwards allowing RB to gain an extra 3 yards.

Passing play
Do not go near receivers! Give all receivers a 5 yard pad. Once they have the ball, rush them. Instead of wrapping arms over top of shoulder pads, on a passing play all defenders should run into receiver and bounce off. If you do get a grip make sure to let it slip off so your teammate can have some fun tackling too.

Blitzing
Don't do it. If you do, wait until we're so far behind that it doesn't really matter. We don't want to put any undue pressure on the visiting quarterback.

Note: In the event that you do make a very good tackle, after allowing 300+ yards in the first half, you and your teammate should celebrate that tackle like it was the best move in football history. High fives and chest bumps are recommended.

MULLY
this team looks so shitty it's not even funny. I know, it's pre season, it doesn't matter. They're saving the exotic packages for the regular season.

and people wonder why Chad doesn't want to play in Cincinnati. Carson's next.[/quote]

rules for not knowing anything about football or understand anything about the roster, preseason or the league as a whole: Read above.

your right bjork and blackstock sure let us down, we sure cant count on chatman and holt as our #1 and #2 punch on offense.. :rolleyes: what the hell did you expect to see happen this evening?

[quote name='GoBengals' post='690928' date='Aug 24 2008, 03:45 PM']rules for not knowing anything about football or understand anything about the roster, preseason or the league as a whole: Read above.

your right bjork and blackstock sure let us down, we sure cant count on chatman and holt as our #1 and #2 punch on offense.. :rolleyes: what the hell did you expect to see happen this evening?[/quote]

Go, it's not this evening, it's the past 3 seasons. They haven't shown one ounce of change in the way they run plays. Better players don't make those shitty calls look any better. No wonder Chad wants out of this place. And honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Carson doesn't put up with this shit for much longer. He was visibly pissed at the end of last season and even made some remark about it. Of course after he cooled down he was his usual self and didn't give any sound bytes, but you really gotta wonder if he's going to want to stay in Cincinnati until he's 35 years old and free to move on to a better team.
MULLY

I said it last week, I will say it again....this team is fundamentally awful. I don't care if it's the preseason and you have your 238th string out there.....if they can't tackle, remember not to jump offsides, can't remember the fuckin' snap count, or any other of the VERY FUCKING SIMPLE intangibles of the game, they shouldn't be out there. It speaks volumes about how thin this team is at almost every position. If some folks were able to see a silver lining out of this game, more power to them. I would say that 95% of the Bengal nation disagrees.

Oops, forgot I'm a nancy boy if I think this team sucks based on what I've seen in the preseason. :rolleyes: Oh wait, I think this team sucks based on what I've seen since late 2006. Watch closely, this team has bounced between average and shitty since then. I still love them, still follow them, still watch every game like a hawk and I will still go to a game or two a year, like I always have.....but it's not a great team right now, as much as I hate to admit that. Chad and TJ aren't going to fix the blocking problem, Odom isn't going to be a one man wrecking crew, and Rivers isn't going to magically teach the rest of the defense to suddenly know what they're doing. We aren't a player or two away from being right. It's a fundamental issue that starts at the top.

Archived