Obama speech could bump tonight's Bengals game

oldschooler

[quote][size=5][b]Obama speech could bump tonight's Bengals game[/b][/size]

If it comes down to the Cincinnati Bengals vs. Barack Obama tonight on WKRC-TV (Channel 12), the Bengals will lose.

Channel 12, which will broadcast the Bengals-Indianapolis Colts game starting at 7 p.m., will switch to CBS News' Democratic National Convention coverage at 10 p.m. if the game is not over.

The final minutes of the last preseason game would air on Channel 12's sister station, the CinCW, also being called Local 12.2.

Presidential nominee Obama will address the convention in a national TV speech after 10 p.m., when the broadcast networks provide live coverage from Denver.

"Because of the long history and tradition we have for news here, and the historic nature of the convention, we thought our WKRC-TV viewers would expect to see the convention on Local 12," said Les Vann, Channel 12 general manager.

WLWT-TV (Channel 5) also will be airing NBC's preseason football game, Jacksonville at Washington, at 7 p.m. today. Channel 5 will "do whatever the NBC network does at 10 p.m.," a station spokesman said.[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080828/SPT02/808280377/1066/SPT02"]http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...0377/1066/SPT02[/url]

Isn't that why we have all the cable news channels? What will McCain preempt, week one of the NFL? I wish the networks would realize that we like football because it is real, not the phony baloney speechs these guys say to get elected.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='692216' date='Aug 28 2008, 09:05 AM']right, because Obama is the one making that decision right?[/quote]

Nobody is to blame and it is the notorious 2nd string only game that is only played to shore decide maybe 4 roster spots.

[quote name='Spinylumpsucker' post='692215' date='Aug 28 2008, 09:04 AM']Not a good campaign move by Obama. Go ahead and bump a football game in an important swing state.[/quote]

Huh?

:blink:

Wow.

PLEASE tell me you don't actually think this...

And TBH it doesn't bother me... Whether it reps or dems or whatever.. But I think this country would genuinely be a better place if people become more involved and more educated about what is going on in our government/politics...

I mean really people... It's pre season football... If you want to keep watching the final moments of a meaningless game, then just change the channel.

People complain about all the crooked ass pols.. But don't realize those crooked ass pols are counting on your ignorance.

[quote name='Spinylumpsucker' post='692220' date='Aug 28 2008, 09:11 AM']Perception is everything. Maybe he will get lucky and McCain will interrupt a Buckeye game.[/quote]

Then Obama would win Ohio.

[quote name='Lucid' post='692222' date='Aug 28 2008, 09:12 AM']Huh?

Wow.

And TBH it doesn't bother me... Whether it reps or dems or whatever.. But I think this country would genuinely be a better place if people become more involved and more educated about what is going on in our government/politics...

People complain about all the crooked ass pols.. But don't realize those crooked ass pols are counting on your ignorance.[/quote]

I hardly think we will learn anything about any politician from their acceptance coronation. A carefully written canned speech that will explain little and attack the other side is nothing more than throwing meat to your supporters. I will wait until the debates to see how candidate X, Y, or Z can handle pressure and actually answer a non scripted question.

[quote name='SF2' post='692224' date='Aug 28 2008, 09:16 AM']I hardly think we will learn anything about any politician from their acceptance coronation. A carefully written canned speech that will explain little and attack the other side is nothing more than throwing meat to your supporters. I will wait until the debates to see how candidate X, Y, or Z can handle pressure and actually answer a non scripted question.[/quote]

Well of course an acceptance speech is not going to give you the measure of the man... But seriously, it's a major speech from a candidate for president, and people are complaining that they may have to switch to another channel to watch the last minute or so of a pre season football game?

It's the attitude in general that is part of the problem.

[quote name='Lucid' post='692222' date='Aug 28 2008, 08:12 AM']Huh?

Wow.

I mean really people... It's pre season football... If you want to keep watching the final moments of a meaningless game, then just change the channel.

People complain about all the crooked ass pols.. But don't realize those crooked ass pols are counting on your ignorance.[/quote]

I believe a lot of other people do. Also, politicians and pundits will use anything to their advantage to cause a stir.

Personally, I am more political than most people. My job helping to manage our nation's fisheries depends on it. I have done enough research on both candidates to have already made up my mind.

[quote name='Spinylumpsucker' post='692255' date='Aug 28 2008, 10:56 AM']I believe a lot of other people do. Also, politicians and pundits will use anything to their advantage to cause a stir.

Personally, I am more political than most people. My job helping to manage our nation's fisheries depends on it. I have done enough research on both candidates to have already made up my mind.[/quote]

So what is Obama supposd to do about it? Cancel or reschedule because it may interrupt a preseason football game? He has absolutely no control over what the networks decide to air.

[quote name='bengalfanatl' post='692236' date='Aug 28 2008, 08:54 AM']Tsk tsk tsk Jason. I met you and thought you were a very smart person even if our politics dont match.
This is something that may NEVER happen again. Its historic whether he wins or loses and that is not meaningless. Shame on you, dude[/quote]

Well, I kind of agree with Jason. I would rather watch a meaningless football game over a meaningless pep rally for any politician. Not one person should base their vote on what he says tonight. Instead they should vote based on what he actually stands, such as supporting socialized medicine. Maybe takie a look at his voting record on the issues would help America choose better. Instead, I'm sure many people will cast a vote in the name of "change." Now perhaps I am missing history, with him being the first minority nominated for the presidency, but it's my perception that history was made when the votes were cast.

As a disclaimer, I may watch it if my wife wants too. She has actually paid attention to the process, and it's good that she has finally bothered to learn how American politics work. Other then that too, I'd rather not sit and be lied to by any politician. And for what it is worth, I probably won't watch the end of the game anyway.

Obama's certainly not to blame if there is a scheduling conflict. McCain is possibly going to conflict with the NFL opener which is even worse. Unless Obama comes up with some new campaign promises, there really isn't much that's newsworthy going on. His acceptance speech in Minnesota in June was really his debut as the nominee. Basically he's looking for a do-over since that speech had some unfortunate stuff about his election being the moment the oceans stopped rising and people started caring for the sick, etc. All that said, the end of the 4th preseason game is as meaningless as it gets unless you're a family member of a bubble guy.

[quote name='Spinylumpsucker' post='692215' date='Aug 28 2008, 08:04 AM']Not a good campaign move by Obama. Go ahead and bump a football game in an important swing state.[/quote]

A report out earlier this week said that Obama's advisors believe that he can win without Ohio, and therefore are planning to ignore the Buckeye state in favor of more strategic swing states.

[quote name='Flip' post='692294' date='Aug 28 2008, 12:28 PM']A report out earlier this week said that Obama's advisors believe that he can win without Ohio, and therefore are planning to ignore the Buckeye state in favor of more strategic swing states.[/quote]

Can we move this to the J&W forum?

[quote name='bengalfanatl' post='692236' date='Aug 28 2008, 08:54 AM']Tsk tsk tsk Jason. I met you and thought you were a very smart person even if our politics dont match.
This is something that may NEVER happen again. Its historic whether he wins or loses and that is not meaningless. Shame on you, dude[/quote]

I'll probably watch the speech as Obama is a great speaker, and the theater will be good (in a stadium, on a temple), but let's not pretend he's going to say anything that is meaningful. It's going to be nonsense like

"I stand before you today, on the shoulders of giants. For those who are my progenitors have hewn the rock which I make my pulpit. And it is with humility, and a sense of the grandeur of this moment, that I accept the honor which Fortune has decided is mine.

Or rather ours. For alone I am a mere man, well-meaning and principled but essentially without a voice. You, the people, are my voice, acting as a canyon to reverberate my utterances into a thunderous chorus. BLAH BLAH BLAH"

Speaking of which, when is McCain going to give his acceptance? Because if it's next Thursday, that will conflict with the first official NFL game. Which is much more a big deal than the last preseason game.

Archived