Crazy ass idea

Why didnt they try Fitzpatrick for a series or two today?? Palmer couldnt get shit going today, most of the problem was the hellacious Raven pass rush. When I was watching I think i saw Palmer set his feet and throw twice, he was on the run all day. Fitzpatrick is obviously the better running QB and i think he could have used his legs to make some plays and get the first downs that Palmer couldnt run for. I think he could have come up with a TD drive or at least a field goal. I would have given him one series in the second quarter and, depending on how well he did, a series in the third quarter.

OK, i will admit i didnt watch the entire game because i had seen enough and had better things to do. So if he looked better in the second half then this argument is moot but i am guessing that things didnt change much from the first.

We were one score away from even. I just don't think you ever sit your franchise pro bowl QB unless he is hurt or he is over the hill. Then again I do remember a game that Kenny Anderson replaced an unproductive Boomer Esiason for a few series, scored a TD, then Boomer went back in and played great. Boomer was only in his first or second season though, there is a big difference.

My crazy Idea was to go empty backfield instead bringing more folks into the backfield.

IMO, they should have tried to spread them out more. When the Bengals built a fort around Palmer it just made things messy and played into their hands,IMO. Having max protect seemed to make things easier for the Raves vs harder.

I would have liked to see less 2 TEs set, more Perry split out wide.

But who knows?

Although, I don't think I'd ever want to take Palmer out. Kenny Anderson was benched in the opening game of the 1981 season in which he later was MVP.

[quote name='scharm' post='697925' date='Sep 7 2008, 09:22 PM']My crazy Idea was to go empty backfield instead bringing more folks into the backfield.

IMO, they should have tried to spread them out more. When the Bengals built a fort around Palmer it just made things messy and played into their hands,IMO. Having max protect seemed to make things easier for the Raves vs harder.

I would have liked to see less 2 TEs set, more Perry split out wide.

But who knows?

Although, I don't think I'd ever want to take Palmer out. Kenny Anderson was benched in the opening game of the 1981 season in which he later was MVP.[/quote]

I definately would have liked to see us spread the field on some of the 3rd and 4th and shorts. Also, while I know we had protection issues, we made no effort to go after their banged up secondary, especially when Ivy went down.

What's the harm in sending Simpson deep once or twice, if nothing else to take someone with him?

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='697935' date='Sep 7 2008, 09:28 PM']The moment this team gives up on thier franchise QB to come back and lead them from victory (barring injury), is the moment we should all quit being Bengal fans[/quote]

not to mention the message it sends to the team.

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='697935' date='Sep 7 2008, 09:28 PM']The moment this team gives up on thier franchise QB to come back and lead them from victory (barring injury), is the moment we should all quit being Bengal fans[/quote]I figured this thread would get flamed but not with such ignorance as this post..... i wrote that i couldn't hurt to give fitzpatrick a try for ONE OR TWO series in the 2nd or 3rd quarter... obviously Palmer would be in there for most of the game including all of the 4th quarter while the game still hangs in the balance :rolleyes:

[quote name='hooday' post='697941' date='Sep 7 2008, 09:40 PM']I figured this thread would get flamed but not with such ignorance as this post..... i wrote that i couldn't hurt to give fitzpatrick a try for ONE OR TWO series in the 2nd or 3rd quarter... obviously Palmer would be in there for most of the game including all of the 4th quarter while the game still hangs in the balance :rolleyes:[/quote]

This isn't college football ...

Please don't call my posts "ignorant" when you are the one asking that a probowl QB sits a series or two to switch up the tempo ...

You want the tempo switched? Talk to the coordinator.

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='697935' date='Sep 7 2008, 09:28 PM']The moment this team gives up on thier franchise QB to come back and lead them to victory (barring injury), is the moment we should all quit being Bengal fans[/quote]

Ken Anderson's best season was in 1981, although it started out very badly for him. In the Bengals opening game against the Seattle Seahawks, Anderson was intercepted 3 times in the first half and the Seahawks built up a 21-0 halftime lead. [b]In the second half, Cincinnati coach Forrest Gregg benched Anderson and brought in third string quarterback Turk Schonert (second string quarterback Jack Thompson was injured at the time).[/b] With Schonert in command of the offense, the Bengals stormed back and won the game 27-21.

i dont believe the Bengals fans quit then. I also believe the Bengals fans were rewarded with a Super Bowl berth too that year. Im not saying Palmer should have been benched or that we would go to the Super Bowl if he took a seat for a while. I really have no opinion on this subject, but to make a stupid ass comment like that when it has been done in the past is kind of fucking dumb.

[quote name='hooday' post='697941' date='Sep 7 2008, 09:40 PM']I figured this thread would get flamed but not with such ignorance as this post..... i wrote that i couldn't hurt to give fitzpatrick a try for ONE OR TWO series in the 2nd or 3rd quarter... obviously Palmer would be in there for most of the game including all of the 4th quarter while the game still hangs in the balance :rolleyes:[/quote]

I'll throw myself out there for the flames as well. I don't care WHO you are on the team, if you aren't getting it done, a change should be made and see if the "flow" can change. I don't think it would have hurt to give Palmer a chance to "watch" the offense play for a series or two (which would help with perspective), and also it would change things up for D and maybe alter the momentum.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='697949' date='Sep 7 2008, 09:48 PM']Ken Anderson's best season was in 1981, although it started out very badly for him. In the Bengals opening game against the Seattle Seahawks, Anderson was intercepted 3 times in the first half and the Seahawks built up a 21-0 halftime lead. [b]In the second half, Cincinnati coach Forrest Gregg benched Anderson and brought in third string quarterback Turk Schonert (second string quarterback Jack Thompson was injured at the time).[/b] With Schonert in command of the offense, the Bengals stormed back and won the game 27-21.

i dont believe the Bengals fans quit then. I also believe the Bengals fans were rewarded with a Super Bowl berth too that year. Im not saying Palmer should have been benched or that we would go to the Super Bowl if he took a seat for a while. I really have no opinion on this subject, but to make a stupid ass comment like that when it has been done in the past is kind of fucking dumb.[/quote]

Wait ... does that say 1981?

Just checking ...

EDIT: And when posting stuff like this, please try and compare apples to apples. Carson didn't throw 3 INTs in the first half, and without fully knowing the context of the game Anderson was benched, it's tough to say that his line sucked / getting blown up every play, the running game wasn't working, etc...

[quote name='BengalSIS' post='697950' date='Sep 7 2008, 09:48 PM']I'll throw myself out there for the flames as well. I don't care WHO you are on the team, if you aren't getting it done, a change should be made and see if the "flow" can change. I don't think it would have hurt to give Palmer a chance to "watch" the offense play for a series or two (which would help with perspective), and also it would change things up for D and maybe alter the momentum.[/quote]

That would be like saying if Shayne messes up a kick or two, or is having a hard time on kick offs, that Larson should take a few kicks so that Shayne can "watch" ...

Let's get serious here people ... If Fitz was anywhere near the talent of Carson, he wouldn't be the Bengals backup. Please PLEASE don't let the preseason fool you...

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='697949' date='Sep 7 2008, 09:48 PM']Ken Anderson's best season was in 1981, although it started out very badly for him. In the Bengals opening game against the Seattle Seahawks, Anderson was intercepted 3 times in the first half and the Seahawks built up a 21-0 halftime lead. [b]In the second half, Cincinnati coach Forrest Gregg benched Anderson and brought in third string quarterback Turk Schonert (second string quarterback Jack Thompson was injured at the time).[/b] With Schonert in command of the offense, the Bengals stormed back and won the game 27-21.

i dont believe the Bengals fans quit then. I also believe the Bengals fans were rewarded with a Super Bowl berth too that year. Im not saying Palmer should have been benched or that we would go to the Super Bowl if he took a seat for a while. I really have no opinion on this subject, but to make a stupid ass comment like that when it has been done in the past is kind of fucking dumb.[/quote]

just because something was done 27 years ago doesn't mean it should be done now. It's as stupid as you jumping into an argument you have no opinion abou just because you don't like Palmer4hof

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='697948' date='Sep 7 2008, 09:48 PM']This isn't college football ...

Please don't call my posts "ignorant" when you are the one asking that a probowl QB sits a series or two to switch up the tempo ...

You want the tempo switched? Talk to the coordinator.[/quote]

It's not unheard of. And if Palmer continues to play scared (for many valid reasons), then Fitz deserves a chance to try. Even if just a series or two for Palmer to watch and chill.

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='697951' date='Sep 7 2008, 09:50 PM']Wait ... does that say 1981?

Just checking ...

EDIT: And when posting stuff like this, please try and compare apples to apples. Carson didn't throw 3 INTs in the first half, and without fully knowing the context of the game Anderson was benched, it's tough to say that his line sucked / getting blown up every play, the running game wasn't working, etc...[/quote]

palmer couldnt have thrown 3 INTs, he was too busy holding onto the ball too long and not making any fucking decisions.

[quote name='hooday' post='697911' date='Sep 7 2008, 09:08 PM']Why didnt they try Fitzpatrick for a series or two today?? Palmer couldnt get shit going today, most of the problem was the hellacious Raven pass rush. When I was watching I think i saw Palmer set his feet and throw twice, he was on the run all day. Fitzpatrick is obviously the better running QB and i think he could have used his legs to make some plays and get the first downs that Palmer couldnt run for. I think he could have come up with a TD drive or at least a field goal. I would have given him one series in the second quarter and, depending on how well he did, a series in the third quarter.

OK, i will admit i didnt watch the entire game because i had seen enough and had better things to do. So if he looked better in the second half then this argument is moot but i am guessing that things didnt change much from the first.[/quote]
After watching Fitz in the preseason, the same thought crossed my mind. He's got wheels and pocket presence that Carson apparently will never have, which really sucks.

I was telling my companion watching the game with me that Carson's biggest flaw is his inability to sidestep the rush and/or his inability to perceive when the pocket is collapsing and move around to open things up.

I understand those that say "hey this isn't college, we don't run a 2 QB system" or "what kind of message does it send to the team if you bench your franchise QB?", but let's be honest...Carson has looked less than stellar for awhile now, dating back to last season. This isn't new. I honestly think that running Fitz out there for a few series would have reinforced the message that if you don't produce, then you don't play, no matter whom you are.

I think it would have lit a fire under Carson's ass. Obviously I'm not blaming him for our loss but the entire offense, including Carson, played like absolute shit. Worst performance from this offense I've ever seen, bar none. It was just terrible.

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='697955' date='Sep 7 2008, 09:52 PM']That would be like saying if Shayne messes up a kick or two, or is having a hard time on kick offs, that Larson should take a few kicks so that Shayne can "watch" ...

Let's get serious here people ... If Fitz was anywhere near the talent of Carson, he wouldn't be the Bengals backup. Please PLEASE don't let the preseason fool you...[/quote]

Bullshit. Get your metaphors straight. Shayne is the KICKER. Larson is the PUNTER.

I'm not asking Perry to start playing QB. And Palmer plays EVERY snap. The kicker gets 1 to 3 kicks a game...there is no rhythm there.

Talk about apples to apples....sheesh.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='697956' date='Sep 7 2008, 09:52 PM']just because something was done 27 years ago doesn't mean it should be done now. It's as stupid as you jumping into an argument you have no opinion abou just because you don't like Palmer4hof[/quote]

i didnt even look to see who posted it and i dont hate palmer4hof. he hates me and that doesnt effect my thinking or posting. i only hate the posters on this site who seem to find a way to complain about mike brown no matter what the situation is.

[quote name='BengalSIS' post='697962' date='Sep 7 2008, 09:55 PM']Bullshit. Get your metaphors straight. Shayne is the KICKER. Larson is the PUNTER.

I'm not asking Perry to start playing QB. And Palmer plays EVERY snap. The kicker gets 1 to 3 kicks a game...there is no rhythm there.[/quote]

well isn't larson the backup kicker?

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='697968' date='Sep 7 2008, 09:56 PM']i didnt even look to see who posted it and [b]i dont hate palmer4hof[/b]. he hates me and that doesnt effect my thinking or posting. i only hate the posters on this site who seem to find a way to complain about mike brown no matter what the situation is.[/quote]

yea, you two going at it for years must have just been a mirage. :lol:

[quote name='BengalSIS' post='697962' date='Sep 7 2008, 09:55 PM']Bullshit. Get your metaphors straight. Shayne is the KICKER. Larson is the PUNTER.

I'm not asking Perry to start playing QB. And Palmer plays EVERY snap. The kicker gets 1 to 3 kicks a game...there is no rhythm there.[/quote]

Metaphors?

Correct me if my equation here is wrong but:

Fitzpatrick : Palmer
Larson : Graham

In strict terms of depth charts, If Fitz is Palmer back up, then I would presume Larson is your bros? Correct?

SO if Shayne was struggling, then I would presume Larson would take over?

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='697969' date='Sep 7 2008, 09:59 PM']well isn't larson the backup kicker?[/quote]

He is hte backup for EMERGENCIES...they don't practice it everyday with the same expectations as the QBs do. They are only backups to each other because the teams can't carry a second kicker in their positions....

I hope Larson NEVER gets hurt...let's leave it at that.

Archived