Do we have the worst owner in football?

[quote name='GoBengals' post='714938' date='Oct 19 2008, 09:09 AM']if people wanna call me a nazi or stalin or whetever the fuck, thats going to be their problem, i explain everything i do 99% of the time and am pretty open about just about anything that goes on here... even the small stuff [b][size=4]like what forums to add or remove or merge[/size][/b], the layout and design, where ads are least annoying, etc..

and such a system has been rather successful.[/quote]

Go.. in all seriousness, you need to start a Mike Brown sucks forum.

Let everyone know that the forum is the ONLY place where Mike Brown bashing is allowed, and delete threads doing likewise that aren't in that forum.

I have no problem at all with people voicing their displeasure with Mike Brown, but as soon as I came to this forum and asked why there weren't more threads about it and when they were started, they were pretty much slammed... I understood.

This is a forum for people looking forward instead of in the past, and therefore is a much more optimistic forum.
I can appreciate that, and judging by the number of my posts, it's quite obvious that I do.

I still think you're a Nazi tyrant bastard at times Go, but that's because I like to start trouble!

:devil:

[quote name='USN Bengal' post='714966' date='Oct 19 2008, 10:58 AM']Go.. in all seriousness, you need to start a Mike Brown sucks forum.

Let everyone know that the forum is [b]the ONLY place where Mike Brown bashing is allowed,[/b] and delete threads doing likewise that aren't in that forum.

I have no problem at all with people voicing their displeasure with Mike Brown, but as soon as I came to this forum and asked why there weren't more threads about it and when they were started, they were pretty much slammed... I understood.

This is a forum for people looking forward instead of in the past, and therefore is a much more optimistic forum.
I can appreciate that, and judging by the number of my posts, it's quite obvious that I do.

I still think you're a Nazi tyrant bastard at times Go, but that's because I like to start trouble!

:devil:[/quote]

I don't know that it needs to go that far. I think that we can be critical of MB in this forum and discuss it like adults, but there's definately a dozen or so posters who have no insterest in acting like adults. THOSE threads belong in a forum like that.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='714938' date='Oct 19 2008, 09:09 AM']i dont really like salad (shocker i know) but i dont spend my time on iceberg.com bitching about how they have the worst greens on the planet and their salad dressing is fucking garbage and how their salad will always be fucking stupid as long as the OWNER is still the OWNER.

and im not gonna fly a plane over the iceberg lettuce plant saying "LETTUCE IS THE FUCKING SUCKZORSZZ!!11" "STEP DOWN LETTUCE OWNER!!!11"[/quote]

I follow your line of thinking here when it comes to out of town fans.

But what about those of us who live here and have no plans to move?

To use your salad analogy, what if Mike Brown's Tossed Salad (lol) was the only food in town? I'm not a salad man myself so it would probably piss me off if Mike Brown's crappy salad was the only food in town. "But I like eating! Why must this be the only food in town?!"

Agreed nothing can be done about it, so no point in harping on it. But to act as if it isn't there is to ignore the big bald elephant in the room.

[quote name='GoatGreen' post='714975' date='Oct 19 2008, 11:31 AM']I follow your line of thinking here when it comes to out of town fans.

But what about those of us who live here and have no plans to move?

To use your salad analogy, what if Mike Brown's Tossed Salad (lol) was the only food in town? I'm not a salad man myself so it would probably piss me off if Mike Brown's crappy salad was the only food in town. "But I like eating! Why must this be the only food in town?!"

Agreed nothing can be done about it, so no point in harping on it. But to act as if it isn't there is to ignore the big bald elephant in the room.[/quote]

The Bengals are the only form of entertainment in town? You talk as if having an NFL franchise is life or death. You can choose to not be a fan and still live a happy life.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='714980' date='Oct 19 2008, 11:47 AM']The Bengals are the only form of entertainment in town?[/quote]

The only form of NFL entertainment? Yes.

[quote]You talk as if having an NFL franchise is life or death. You can choose to not be a fan and still live a happy life.[/quote]

Why should I have to give up my enjoyment of the NFL just because the local owner's tossed salad tastes like crap? ;)

[quote name='GoatGreen' post='714983' date='Oct 19 2008, 11:51 AM']The only form of NFL entertainment? Yes.

Why should I have to give up my enjoyment of the NFL just because the local owner's tossed salad tastes like crap? ;)[/quote]

You don't have to give up your enjoyment of the NFL. But also don't pretend that its the end of the world if they are the only team in town. There's life after the Bengals games, its ok to accept that. No one's forcing you to be an NFL fan, and no one's forcing you to be a Bengals fan. Be a fan, or don't be a fan. It's your choice.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='715260' date='Oct 19 2008, 01:36 PM']You don't have to give up your enjoyment of the NFL.[/quote]

Well without a home team, the NFL gets a lot less interesting.

[quote]But also don't pretend that its the end of the world if they are the only team in town.[/quote]

Never said is was. You must be thinking of someone else. I just think its kinda lame, thats all.

[quote]There's life after the Bengals games, its ok to accept that.[/quote]

Again, you must have me confused with someone else... it doesn't ruin my week or even the rest of my day.

[quote]No one's forcing you to be an NFL fan, and no one's forcing you to be a Bengals fan. Be a fan, or don't be a fan. It's your choice.[/quote]

Never said it wasn't my choice. Too bad Mike Brown and his lack of interest in a Super Bowl has to be my home team. That's pretty much allI have ever said. Not sure why that is so hard to understand. Kind of a dead horse here too, I might add.

[quote name='GoatGreen' post='714983' date='Oct 19 2008, 11:51 AM']Why should I have to give up my enjoyment of the NFL just because the local owner's tossed salad tastes like crap? ;)[/quote]

Watch the visiting team if you want to enjoy the NFL.

Well, he's certainly in the running. I'm not old enough to even really remember the Superbowls. I began to like the Bengals when they sucked and will continue to like them regardless. I don't understand the constant MB bashing. I also don't uderstand the posters that lose their shit at the first sight of it. MB sucks balls, but if you watch every week and buy tickets then you are obviously okay with that.

Having said that, he's certainly a horrible owner. Oh well...

[quote name='VonBlade' post='714889' date='Oct 19 2008, 03:56 AM']Clay Bennett would like a word. As would David Levy. Or Thaksin Shinawatra. Or Al Davis.

Anyway, the point is, he's barely the worst owner in the AFC.[/quote]

Why is Shinawatra on the list? Came in, pumped money into a moribund team, fired a coach, way too early (but arguably got a better replacement) and then when the law caught up to him, sold off to much richer Arabs. Perfect owner imo. It's like screwing a playboy model, short sharp and you knew it wasn't going to last....but it was damn fun and also gave you a shit load of street cred for later on.

[quote name='globetrotter' post='715505' date='Oct 19 2008, 03:26 PM']Mike Brown is not the worst owner.

He is the worst GM.

Dont forget that without MB as owner these might be the Los Angeles Bengals.[/quote]

That about sums it up. If worst owner=product on the field it would be hard to argue against

[quote name='globetrotter' post='715505' date='Oct 19 2008, 02:26 PM']Mike Brown is not the worst owner.

He is the worst GM.

Dont forget that without MB as owner these might be the Los Angeles Bengals.[/quote]
Absolutely. This is the key thing to remember. It's not that he's necessarily a terrible owner. He's just not a good GM. He continually makes poor football decision after poor football decision, and always hires the wrong football people. But those are "GM" decisions. Nobody is really asking him to give up his precious team. We just want him (and GO - btw - I have season tickets, so I guess in your eyes I have moral authority to say this) to hire more and better people to run the team.

That said, he's pretty overrated as an owner/businessman. We should admire him for being loyal to the city. But, that city built him a free palace. And he didn't build the team, his dad did and then gave it to him. As was once said about a certain politician, Mike Brown was basically born on third base and thought he hit a triple.

[quote name='top6' post='715550' date='Oct 19 2008, 03:13 PM']And he didn't build the team, his dad did and then gave it to him. As was once said about a certain politician, Mike Brown was basically born on third base and thought he hit a triple.[/quote]

That`s not true.

Mike Brown was there at the very beginning with his Dad.
He is the one that pushed Cincy as the spot his Dad
should take (over Seattle) for his new AFL team.

Plus Mike worked in the front Office until his Dad
left him the team.

[quote name='top6' post='715550' date='Oct 19 2008, 05:13 PM']Absolutely. This is the key thing to remember. It's not that he's necessarily a terrible owner. He's just not a good GM. He continually makes poor football decision after poor football decision, and always hires the wrong football people. But those are "GM" decisions. Nobody is really asking him to give up his precious team. We just want him (and GO - btw - I have season tickets, so I guess in your eyes I have moral authority to say this) to hire more and better people to run the team.

That said, he's pretty overrated as an owner/businessman. We should admire him for being loyal to the city. But, that city built him a free palace. And he didn't build the team, his dad did and then gave it to him. As was once said about a certain politician, Mike Brown was basically born on third base and thought he hit a triple.[/quote]

We don't have a medical staff or practice facilities that are on par with the rest of the NFL, and that's on the owner; he doesn't care enough to take care of his players. He does turn a profit by tricking you poor saps into filling up his stadium every week, but he is hardly a "good" owner. As a GM he is absolutely the worst in the NFL, and probably in all of sports. I have 20 years of data to prove it.

[quote name='VonBlade' post='715555' date='Oct 19 2008, 05:29 PM']All of sports? Please. Don't be so retarded.[/quote]

Who's been worse? If he wasn't the Owner of the team, he would've been fired years ago. As it is, he's had 1 winning season in 20 years. If he isn't the worst, he certainly gets the lifetime achievement award.

[quote name='Turd Ferguson' post='715567' date='Oct 19 2008, 10:44 PM']Who's been worse?[/quote]

Hmmm well let me see. There are 96 professional soccer teams in England and only 3 different teams have won it all in the last fifteen odd years. So that's 93 right there. And that's just in England. There are thousands of inept professional football teams in the world. Tens of thousands.

But as you've got 20 years of data to proclaim Mike Brown as "teh w0rst in teh vurld!!!", how is the owner of the Parramatta Eels doing? Or Wuyts Patricks stint as chairman? I wont need to tell you which club or sport will I because you clearly know them all.

I reiterate. You're a fucking retard. An insular fucking retard.

[quote name='Turd Ferguson' post='715554' date='Oct 19 2008, 04:20 PM']We don't have a medical staff or practice facilities that are on par with the rest of the NFL, and that's on the owner; he doesn't care enough to take care of his players. He does turn a profit by tricking you poor saps into filling up his stadium every week, but he is hardly a "good" owner. [b] As a GM he is absolutely the worst in the NFL, and probably in all of sports. I have 20 years of data to prove it.[/b][/quote]

Matt Millen makes Mike Brown look like Bill Polian.

[quote name='VonBlade' post='715575' date='Oct 19 2008, 04:06 PM']Hmmm well let me see. There are 96 professional soccer teams in England and only 3 different teams have won it all in the last fifteen odd years. So that's 93 right there. And that's just in England. There are thousands of inept professional football teams in the world. Tens of thousands.

But as you've got 20 years of data to proclaim Mike Brown as "teh w0rst in teh vurld!!!", how is the owner of the Parramatta Eels doing? Or Wuyts Patricks stint as chairman? I wont need to tell you which club or sport will I because you clearly know them all.

I reiterate. You're a fucking retard. An insular fucking retard.[/quote]
Fair enough. There are possibly soccer teams in England who have worse GMs than Mike Brown.

Can you name a worse GM of a team in one of the major North American professional sports leagues - specifically, Major League Baseball, the National Football League, the National Basketball Association and the National Hockey League? I think it would be tough to find a GM who has consistently been that bad for such a long period of time.

[quote name='VonBlade' post='715616' date='Oct 19 2008, 05:07 PM']How bout them Kansas City Royals?

Or those ever awesome Pittsburgh Pirates?

Or the always playoff bound Washington Nationals?

You set them up, I'll keep knocking them out the park.[/quote]
Who are the specific GMs who ran those teams who have similar or worse winning percentages than Mike Brown over a similar period of time? You didn't answer my question or knock anything out of the park, FYI.

[quote name='VonBlade' post='715616' date='Oct 19 2008, 06:07 PM']How bout them Kansas City Royals?

Or those ever awesome Pittsburgh Pirates?

Or the always playoff bound Washington Nationals?

You set them up, I'll keep knocking them out the park.[/quote]
I've never heard of those "football" teams

Archived