Do we have the worst owner in football?

In case you hadn't noticed Mike Brown isn't a GM, he's the owner. So that's one strike against you.
Secondly the NFL is almost wholly unique in having a tiny season, so a small error or injury can lead to a woeful season unlike almost every other sport where the season has so many games it's easy to recover to a less abysmal position. So the NFL is uncomparible to any other sport. Strike two there sparky.

[quote name='Hint of Snow' post='715626' date='Oct 20 2008, 12:29 AM']I've never heard of those "football" teams[/quote]

Threads are complex beasts I know, and I see you've become confused so I'll try and help you along.

Each post follows a previous one and usually refers to it in some way. Thusly you can follow the "thread" of the conversation.

So in this instance if you pay really close attention you'll note than the poster above me requested examples of North American sports, which I therefore provided.

Glad to be of service.

[quote name='Hint of Snow' post='715626' date='Oct 19 2008, 05:29 PM']I've never heard of those "football" teams[/quote]
In fairness, he was responding to my post that asked him to name a worse GM of a major North American professional sports team. He earlier said that someone who believed that Mike Brown was the worst GM in professional sports was a "fucking retard" because there are 93 teams in England that have not won a championship. So I tried to establish that Mike Brown is the worst GM in North America.

Of course, the fact that in all this he has not pointed out a worse GM of an NFL team does sort of prove the original point of the thread.

[quote name='VonBlade' post='715629' date='Oct 19 2008, 05:31 PM']In case you hadn't noticed Mike Brown isn't a GM, he's the owner. So that's one strike against you.
Secondly the NFL is almost wholly unique in having a tiny season, so a small error or injury can lead to a woeful season unlike almost every other sport where the season has so many games it's easy to recover to a less abysmal position. So the NFL is uncomparible to any other sport. Strike two there sparky.[/quote]
You seriously think you have made some sort of assinine "point" because Mike Brown's title isn't technically GM even though he has final say over all football decisions? And you are even wrong, his title is "President" not "owner."

As for your second point, that's true, but you are forgetting that the NFL is a league with a salary cap that should in theory make it easier for small market teams like the Bengals to succeed, unlike baseball (and the small market teams you cited).

[quote name='GoBengals' post='714909' date='Oct 19 2008, 07:51 AM']i like going to games, and thats NEVER going to stop,[/quote]

If you went to Burger King and got burnt burgers over and over again would you still go? If you went to Pizza Hutt and 4 out of every 5x they made your order wrong would you keep going?

I love football too but he is counting on your statement as being true. As much as I hate to say this, teh best thing that can happen to a Bengals fan will be for them to go 0-16 and less than 20,000 go to the remaining games. This resulted in short lived change after the 02 season so maybe it will be long term next time.

My worst fear is they simply fire a coach to use as a scape goat in an attempt to trickm fans into beleiving they are making changes.

[quote name='cwing' post='715650' date='Oct 19 2008, 06:53 PM'][b]If you went to Burger King and got burnt burgers over and over again would you still go?[/b] If you went to Pizza Hutt and 4 out of every 5x they made your order wrong would you keep going?

I love football too but he is counting on your statement as being true. As much as I hate to say this, teh best thing that can happen to a Bengals fan will be for them to go 0-16 and less than 20,000 go to the remaining games. This resulted in short lived change after the 02 season so maybe it will be long term next time.

My worst fear is they simply fire a coach to use as a scape goat in an attempt to trickm fans into beleiving they are making changes.[/quote]

who's forcing you to go? I had a bad meal at Burger King and didn't go back for like 20 years. That's a choice I made. Go to games, don't go to games. That's your choice, just don't expect people to listen to you whine about what choice you're going ot make.

[quote name='cwing' post='715650' date='Oct 19 2008, 07:53 PM']If you went to Burger King and got burnt burgers over and over again would you still go? If you went to Pizza Hutt and 4 out of every 5x they made your order wrong would you keep going?[/quote]

I've enjoyed every season since Marvin has been here until this year.

I wasn't getting burnt burgers. I was getting a lot of great games, some amazing performances, a shot at the playoffs right up to the end (except last year), and having a lot of fun in the process. We came up short, but I had a lot of fun trying to get there.

This year sucks, and I actually agree with your assessment of areas we should have addressed yet didn't. I don't excuse Mike or Marvin. When you're 0-7, most likely everyone involved has some blame. It just seems like people act like we've gone 2-14 for 5 straight years. We haven't.

[quote name='VonBlade' post='715616' date='Oct 19 2008, 07:07 PM']How bout them Kansas City Royals?

Or those ever awesome Pittsburgh Pirates?

Or the always playoff bound Washington Nationals?

You set them up, I'll keep knocking them out the park.[/quote]

Ummm...when baseball gets equal revenue sharing so all teams have a level playing field like football then these guys can count.....

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='715654' date='Oct 19 2008, 06:58 PM']who's forcing you to go? I had a bad meal at Burger King and didn't go back for like 20 years. That's a choice I made. Go to games, don't go to games. That's your choice, just don't expect people to listen to you whine about what choice you're going ot make.[/quote]

Hummmmmmmmm, a little attitude here? That was a question directed for a specific person based on a specific quote that person made. It has nothing to do with you and it has nothing to do with me. It is a simple question.

[quote name='VonBlade' post='715629' date='Oct 19 2008, 06:31 PM']In case you hadn't noticed Mike Brown isn't a GM, he's the owner. So that's one strike against you.
Secondly the NFL is almost wholly unique in having a tiny season, so a small error or injury can lead to a woeful season unlike almost every other sport where the season has so many games it's easy to recover to a less abysmal position. So the NFL is uncomparible to any other sport. Strike two there sparky.[/quote]

VB, are you saying that you think Brown is just unlucky? That the last 18 years are due to injuries hitting the Bengals more severely than their competitors?

I'd also disagree with you regarding pro soccer teams. Who in the prem has been there for 18 years as GM, with such a poor record? Since the bottom teams drop to the Championship, English fans are spared the spectacle of an inherited team being run by a nincompoop over such a prolonged period.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='715654' date='Oct 19 2008, 06:58 PM']who's forcing you to go? I had a bad meal at Burger King and didn't go back for like 20 years. That's a choice I made. Go to games, don't go to games. That's your choice, just don't expect people to listen to you whine about what choice you're going ot make.[/quote]

Stop playing that tired ass card. We are Bengals fans . All of us. Else we would have bailed long ago. Tired of that card.

We get it. You [i]like[/i] shitburgers. Good for you. We don't. This is a Bengals forum. Here's where we talk about it.

Deal.

[quote name='GoatGreen' post='715690' date='Oct 19 2008, 09:40 PM']Stop playing that tired ass card. We are Bengals fans . All of us. Else we would have bailed long ago. Tired of that card.

We get it. You [i]like[/i] shitburgers. Good for you. We don't. This is a Bengals forum. Here's where we talk about it.

Deal.[/quote]
:applaud:

[quote name='cwing' post='715670' date='Oct 19 2008, 07:38 PM']Hummmmmmmmm, a little attitude here? That was a question directed for a specific person based on a specific quote that person made. It has nothing to do with you and it has nothing to do with me. It is a simple question.[/quote]

wasn't directed specifically to you. There's a lot of whiners around here these days.

[quote name='GoatGreen' post='715690' date='Oct 19 2008, 08:40 PM']Stop playing that tired ass card. We are Bengals fans . All of us. Else we would have bailed long ago. Tired of that card.

Deal.[/quote]

it has nothing to do with "shitburgers". It's about playing a broken record over and over again, and fans who think the organization "owes" them anything. You have a choice to be a fan, and you have a choice to be a season ticket holder. As fans, we aren't "owed" anything. When you buy season tickets for the Bengals, you know the choice you're making. If you don't like the way Mike Brown runs the team and still line his pockets, that's on you. Don't be stupid enough to buy season tickets and then try and play the "they owe me something!!!!!" card. It's a form of entertainment. That's all. If you're not entertained, don't keep buying the product. It's that simple.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='715703' date='Oct 19 2008, 09:00 PM']it has nothing to do with "shitburgers". It's about playing a broken record over and over again, and fans who think the organization "owes" them anything. You have a choice to be a fan, and you have a choice to be a season ticket holder. As fans, we aren't "owed" anything. When you buy season tickets for the Bengals, you know the choice you're making. If you don't like the way Mike Brown runs the team and still line his pockets, that's on you. Don't be stupid enough to buy season tickets and then try and play the "they owe me something!!!!!" card. It's a form of entertainment. That's all. If you're not entertained, don't keep buying the product. It's that simple.[/quote]

Stop giving people shit because they are pissed the Bengals lost again.

We care too, and we stand by our Bengals, just as you do.

Stop playing the tired ass "love it or leave it" card.

[i]That[/i] shit needs its own forum too...

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='715703' date='Oct 19 2008, 10:00 PM']it has nothing to do with "shitburgers". It's about playing a broken record over and over again, and fans who think the organization "owes" them anything. You have a choice to be a fan, and you have a choice to be a season ticket holder. As fans, we aren't "owed" anything. When you buy season tickets for the Bengals, you know the choice you're making. If you don't like the way Mike Brown runs the team and still line his pockets, that's on you. Don't be stupid enough to buy season tickets and then try and play the "they owe me something!!!!!" card. It's a form of entertainment. That's all. If you're not entertained, don't keep buying the product. It's that simple.[/quote]

Umm....if you pay your employees you expect productive work, right?

Fans pay the players/coaches/owners salaries....so yes...they owe us something.

Preferably something better than what is currently being provided.

I just dont get it.

I dont get why the man doesnt see his way isnt working and hasnt worked since the 80s, how can any one person be so damned stubborn and opposed to changing your ways to get up to date with how its done thoughout the league, when you have year after year of evidience showing yours doesnt work. We keep hearing how he wants to win, but damn why dont you do everything you can within reason to do just that?

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='715713' date='Oct 19 2008, 09:10 PM']I just dont get it.

I dont get why the man doesnt see his way isnt working and hasnt worked since the 80s, how can any one person be so damned stubborn and opposed to changing your ways to get up to date with how its done thoughout the league, when you have year after year of evidience showing yours doesnt work. We keep hearing how he wants to win, but damn why dont you do everything you can within reason to do just that?[/quote]

My feeling is that he will see the light soon. No, he won't sell the team. None of us really wants that anyway. But I do see a season like this for what it is. Think what 2002 did for changes within the organization.

this season might get us a GM.

Dare to dream but thats my prediction.

[quote name='GoatGreen' post='715714' date='Oct 19 2008, 09:12 PM']My feeling is that he will see the light soon. No, he won't sell the team. None of us really wants that anyway. But I do see a season like this for what it is. Think what 2002 did for changes within the organization.

Dare to dream but thats my prediction.[/quote]

I would be shocked if we got a GM. I really would. But damn if we cant just get a larger scouting department.

[quote name='GoatGreen' post='715707' date='Oct 19 2008, 09:03 PM']Stop giving people shit because they are pissed the Bengals lost again.

We care too, and we stand by our Bengals, just as you do.

Stop playing the tired ass "love it or leave it" card.

[i]That[/i] shit needs its own forum too...[/quote]

no one's playing the "love it or leave it" card. It's about common sense. You know what you're getting with the Bengals with Mike Brown as owner. Whining about it only makes you look stupid.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='715709' date='Oct 19 2008, 09:07 PM']Umm....if you pay your employees you expect productive work, right?

Fans pay the players/coaches/owners salaries....so yes...they owe us something.

Preferably something better than what is currently being provided.[/quote]

was that supposed to be a good analogy?

[quote name='GoatGreen' post='715714' date='Oct 19 2008, 09:12 PM']My feeling is that he will see the light soon. No, he won't sell the team. None of us really wants that anyway. But I do see a season like this for what it is. Think what 2002 did for changes within the organization.

Dare to dream but thats my prediction.[/quote]

you're gut feeling also said we were going to win today. :P

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='715718' date='Oct 19 2008, 09:16 PM']no one's playing the "love it or leave it" card. It's about common sense. You know what you're getting with the Bengals with Mike Brown as owner. Whining about it only makes you look stupid.[/quote]

What a crock of shit.

I no more than anyone else want this to turn into a MBS board, but whining about it doesnt make you look stupid it makes you fucking frustrated.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='715717' date='Oct 19 2008, 09:15 PM']I would be shocked if we got a GM. I really would. But damn if we cant just get a larger scouting department.[/quote]

A bigger scouting department or a GM would be the next logical upgrades. Sometimes seasons like these are the catalyst needed for changes like these.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='715722' date='Oct 19 2008, 09:17 PM']you're gut feeling also said we were going to win today. :P[/quote]

yeah well we all have a little homer in us... ;)

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='715724' date='Oct 19 2008, 09:18 PM']What a crock of shit.

I no more than anyone else want this to turn into a MBS board, [b]but whining about it doesnt make you look stupid it makes you fucking frustrated.[/b][/quote]

when its all you do and you can't bring up anything new regarding the topic, then yea it is.

[quote name='GoatGreen' post='715725' date='Oct 19 2008, 10:20 PM']A bigger scouting department or a GM would be the next logical upgrades. Sometimes seasons like these are the catalyst needed for changes like these.

yeah well we all have a little homer in us... ;)[/quote]
Why does MB have to be like a drug user and hit rock bottom before he will make a change?

Answer: Because the NFL enables him with equal revenue sharing and there is no "real" need to outperform other teams.

Archived