Who's on First.....

[quote][size=5][b]Patchwork line facing Pittsburgh[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]Bengals missing 2 starters vs. NFL's No. 1 defense[/b][/size]
By Mark Curnutte • mcurnutte@enquirer.com • November 20, 2008

The already unenviable task of facing the top-ranked Steelers' defense tonight has become even more difficult for the Bengals.

The Bengals (1-8-1) will be without four starters - two apiece on offense and defense - as well as a top backup tonight at AFC North-leading Pittsburgh (7-3).

On offense, starting left tackle Levi Jones (back) and left guard Andrew Whitworth (ankle) are out, as is No. 2 left guard Scott Kooistra (knee). Rookie Anthony Collins and Nate Livings will make their first NFL starts.

With three regular offensive linemen unavailable, the Bengals signed first-year tackle Dennis Roland off their practice squad Wednesday and placed receiver Antonio Chatman, who has a spinal cord contusion, on the season-ending injured reserve list. Roland and Andrew Crummey - neither of whom has played in a regular-season NFL game - will be backups behind a starting five of Collins at left tackle, Livings at left guard, Eric Ghiaciuc at center, Bobbie Williams and right guard and Stacy Andrews at right tackle.

The Bengals will face a Steelers team ranked first in the NFL in total defense, rush defense and pass defense.

Crummey is a rookie from Maryland who was waived Aug. 30 by Washington. The Bengals claimed him off the Redskins' practice squad.

Roland was signed to the roster from the Bengals' practice squad and previously was on practice squads in Tampa Bay and Dallas.

On the Bengals' defense, right end Antwan Odom, who has a shoulder injury, will miss his second game in a row, further limiting an already weak pass rush. Safety Chinedum Ndukwe, who has a foot injury, also is out.

Frostee Rucker will start again in Odom's place. Chris Crocker is expected to fill in for Ndukwe.[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20081120/SPT02/811200402/1066"]http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2008112.../811200402/1066[/url]

[quote name='Chucktkd' post='725464' date='Nov 19 2008, 04:15 PM']I guess the author of the injury list is not counting Palmer as a starter as that would be three not two. I guess that's a sign that Palmer will not play anymore this year.[/quote]

Technically Carson is the starter, but he hasn`t started since
week 5. So, he isn`t listed as one of the starters missing.
And I don`t think means he won`t play this year. But if he
doesn`t play against the Ravens (it would have been 10 weeks
since the injury, 8 weeks since his last start and 10 days between games)
then I think you can start leaning heavily that way.

[quote][size=5][b]Chatman down, Roland up: Bengals resemble hospital ER heading to Pitt[/b][/size]
By Chick Ludwig | Wednesday, November 19, 2008, 02:12 PM

BENGALS CAN’T BRING ‘A GAME,’

TOO MANY GUYS ARE INJURED

The Cincinnati Bengals — clearly bitten by the injury bug and obviously hurting for healthy bodies — today placed wide receiver Antonio Chatman on the Injured Reserve list and filled his roster spot by promoting offensive tackle Dennis Roland off the practice squad.

Chatman, a sixth-year veteran from the University of Cincinnati, suffered a cervical injury this past Sunday against Philadelphia. Chatman ends his season with 10 games played, 21 receptions for 194 yards and a 7.5-yard average on 21 punt returns.

Roland, a mammoth 6-9, 325-pounder from the University of Georgia, has been on the practice squad for 11 weeks this season.

He opened the 2008 preseason with Tampa Bay and was waived in final roster cuts. He entered the NFL in 2006 as a college free agent with the Dallas Cowboys.

He spent most of 2006 and 2007 on Tampa Bay’s practice squad. He was on Tampa Bay’s 53-player roster for two games in 2007, but was a game-day inactive.

BENGALS INJURY REPORT

FOR THURSDAY’S GAME AT

PITTSBURGH’S HEINZ FIELD

OUT

WR Antonio Chatman-Neck (Injured Reserve)

LB Abdul Hodge-Elbow (Injured Reserve)

DE Eric Henderson-Neck

OT Levi Jones-Back

G Scott Kooistra-Knee

S Chinedum Ndukwe-Foot

DE Antwan Odom-Shoulder

QB Carson Palmer-Right Elbow

G Andrew Whitworth-Ankle

DOUBTFUL

WR Jerome Simpson-Ankle

QUESTIONABLE

CB Johnathan Joseph-Foot

PROBABLE

WR Andre Caldwell-Foot

WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh-Back

TE Reggie Kelly-Ankle

TB Kenny Watson-Shoulder[/quote]

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/chickludwig/entries/2008/11/19/chatman_down_roland_up_bengals_1.html"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/s..._bengals_1.html[/url]

So I was wondering. Not counting Chatman and Hodge,
they have 7 players listed as out. That means they only
have one player they have to deactivate.
If Simpson is doubtful, then he should be inactive (at least you would think so)
So does that mean Big Shirley gets activated for a game?

[quote name='oldschooler' post='725574' date='Nov 20 2008, 08:02 AM']Technically Carson is the starter, but he hasn`t started since
week 5. So, he isn`t listed as one of the starters missing.
And I don`t think means he won`t play this year. But if he
doesn`t play against the Ravens (it would have been 10 weeks
since the injury, 8 weeks since his last start and 10 days between games)
then I think you can start leaning heavily that way.[/quote]

I too wonder if they are going to play him against Baltimore with the 10 day layoff.

Though I also think, and mentioned a few weeks ago, that they may be holding him back until after the Philly/Pissburgh/Baltimore stretch considering the shape of the oline.

[quote name='mhfinks' post='725450' date='Nov 19 2008, 05:26 PM']I MEANT - HOW THE INJURY'S WILL GROW THROUGHOUT THURSDAY NIGHTS GAME - IT SEEMS THAT OUR LIST OF INJURIES GET BIGGER AND BIGGER WHILE OTHER TEAMS SEEM TO RECOVER AND GET SMALLER AS THE SEASON GOES ON - LIKE LAST YEAR - WE LOST ALL OF OUR LB'S -[/quote]

We don't let our players heal. The medical staff would rather shoot them up (see Varsity Blues). The example I know of specifically is Ndukwe. Prior to last week's game, he was told not to play by a medical professional outside of the Bengals organization. What do they Bengals do? They shoot him and and he screws his shit up even more. The Bengals still refuse to put him on the IR although any medical professional that actually cared about his patients would not clear him to play. He SHOULD NOT play the rest of the year. Who knows what those stupid FCKS will do over there in PBS.

I'm not going to rant.....

[quote name='CO Bengal' post='725591' date='Nov 20 2008, 08:53 AM']We don't let our players heal. The medical staff would rather shoot them up (see Varsity Blues). The example I know of specifically is Ndukwe. Prior to last week's game, he was told not to play by a medical professional outside of the Bengals organization. What do they Bengals do? They shoot him and and he screws his shit up even more. The Bengals still refuse to put him on the IR although any medical professional that actually cared about his patients would not clear him to play. He SHOULD NOT play the rest of the year. Who knows what those stupid FCKS will do over there in PBS.

I'm not going to rant.....[/quote]

just because your friend tells it to you doesn't make it true. Based on what I've read and heard its actually better that Ndukwe tore his plantar facitis on his own rather than having surgery done on it. It's also an injury commonly played through.

Somehow I doubt your massage therapist friend is priivy to to much info about what the medical staff does and doesn't do.

By the way, I thought you were leaving a few weeks ago?

[quote name='CO Bengal' post='725591' date='Nov 20 2008, 07:53 AM']We don't let our players heal. The medical staff would rather shoot them up (see Varsity Blues). The example I know of specifically is Ndukwe. Prior to last week's game, he was told not to play by a medical professional outside of the Bengals organization. What do they Bengals do? They shoot him and and he screws his shit up even more. The Bengals still refuse to put him on the IR although any medical professional that actually cared about his patients would not clear him to play. He SHOULD NOT play the rest of the year. Who knows what those stupid FCKS will do over there in PBS.

I'm not going to rant.....[/quote]

Hell, it looks to me like you already ranted.

Anyway, from what I read, Ndukwe's injury basically
basically did surgery on it's self. So I don`t see how that
equals "screws his shit up more". And he is listed as out,
so he isn`t cleared to play. Also, other NFL players have
and have played with Nduke's injury. And you are discounting
his desire to play this season too.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='725598' date='Nov 20 2008, 10:08 AM']Hell, it looks to me like you already ranted.

Anyway, from what I read, Ndukwe's injury basically
basically did surgery on it's self. So I don`t see how that
equals "screws his shit up more". And he is listed as out,
so he isn`t cleared to play. Also, other NFL players have
and have played with Nduke's injury. And you are discounting
his desire to play this season too.[/quote]

He has an incredible desire to play. Tonight more than any. Hell, he was the favorite to light Ward up tonight. I assure you, he does not want to risk further injury. He can barely walk right now.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='725590' date='Nov 20 2008, 07:51 AM']I too wonder if they are going to play him against Baltimore with the 10 day layoff.

Though I also think, and mentioned a few weeks ago, that they may be holding him back until after the Philly/Pissburgh/Baltimore stretch considering the shape of the oline.[/quote]

Yeah, but a road game at the Colts isn`t much
better than a home game against the Ravens.

I think it may come down to the health of the O-line
heading into the Ravens game.

[quote name='CO Bengal' post='725599' date='Nov 20 2008, 08:11 AM']He has an incredible desire to play. Tonight more than any. Hell, he was the favorite to light Ward up tonight. I assure you, he does not want to risk further injury. He can barely walk right now.[/quote]

I wasn`t talking about just tonight's game.
And I said it is a shame he wouldn`t be playing
against the Stealers, considering how vocal he
was (actually he was about the only player that was)
about Whines Hard's "block".

And I can assure you, the Bengals do not want
to risk further injury to his foot either. Probably just
as much as he doesn`t.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='725600' date='Nov 20 2008, 09:12 AM']Yeah, but a road game at the Colts isn`t much
better than a home game against the Ravens.

I think it may come down to the health of the O-line
heading into the Ravens game.[/quote]

sure it is. I'd much rather have him face the Indy D than the Ravens' D.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='725602' date='Nov 20 2008, 08:20 AM']sure it is. I'd much rather have him face the Indy D than the Ravens' D.[/quote]

Well, the Ravens only sacked Carson 2 times their first game.
And I think his return would be better with the home crowd
over a hostile crowd. And Carson has had some pretty good
games against the Ravens in the past. Plus Freeney and Mathias
are no slouches. And the Ravens have 20 sacks on the season,
while the Colts have 14.

So while I think it may be a little better to wait until the Colts game
(but not much better as I already mentioned) I can see some pluses
for him coming back against the Ravens too.

I just hope he comes back, and remains healthy if he comes
back, regardless of who it is against.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='725603' date='Nov 20 2008, 08:30 AM']Well, the Ravens only sacked Carson 2 times their first game.
while the Colts have 14.

back, regardless of who it is against.[/quote]
Guys, I'm afraid that the only Palmer we're going to see this season is Jordan, possibly as early as tonight after Fitz picks his spleen up off of the turf.

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='725607' date='Nov 20 2008, 08:49 AM']Guys, I'm afraid that the only Palmer we're going to see this season is Jordan, possibly as early as tonight after Fitz picks his spleen up off of the turf.[/quote]

I think the new guys are going to play well.

And the Bengals are gonna SHOCK THE WORLD !!!

Of course, I am an optimist, a homer and someone
that doesn`t care to stick their neck out. So, take
it for what it's worth.

:anticipate:

haha

[quote name='oldschooler' post='725603' date='Nov 20 2008, 09:30 AM']Well, the Ravens only sacked Carson 2 times their first game.
while the Colts have 14.

back, regardless of who it is against.[/quote]

the Colts play you much more straight up though, while the Ravens try and confuse you bringing different blitzes and pressures. Therefore, the colts are an easier matchup for our currently inexperienced oline.

Also, while the Colts may have a hostile crowd on their side, the Colts are playing like crap at home.

[quote name='cincity' post='725615' date='Nov 20 2008, 10:00 AM']I am excited to see the potential of all the new linemen..... Could not do too much worse than the vets that have so far this year.[/quote]

It's going to be long night i'm afraid but watching next years startes will be interesting.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='725611' date='Nov 20 2008, 08:54 AM']the Colts play you much more straight up though, while the Ravens try and confuse you bringing different blitzes and pressures. Therefore, the colts are an easier matchup for our currently inexperienced oline.

Also, while the Colts may have a hostile crowd on their side, the Colts are playing like crap at home.[/quote]

The Colts have won their last 3 home games.
And they destroyed the Ravens to start that streak.

Anyway, I guess you keep missing where I said twice,
that it would be better for him to return against
the Colts, but not much better. You argumentative bastard. :P

[quote name='oldschooler' post='725622' date='Nov 20 2008, 10:14 AM']The Colts have won their last 3 home games.
And they destroyed the Ravens to start that streak.

Anyway, I guess you keep missing where I said twice,
that it would be better for him to return against
the Colts, but not much better. [b]You argumentative bastard. [/b]:P[/quote]

now if that isn't the "pot calling the kettle black" comment of all time.... :lol:

Archived