So many injuries? Can this really just be bad luck?

In the past few years, it seems the Bengals have had well more than their share of injuries.

Just off the top of my head, here is a (very long) list of players who ended up on IR or missed significant time over the past 2-3 years:

Willie Anderson
Carson Palmer
Rich Braham
Jon Fanene
Antwan Odom
Adam Kieft
Sam Adams
Rudi Johnson
David Pollack
Chad Johnson
Johnathan Joseph
Keith Rivers
Justin Britt
Antonio Chatman
Kyle Cook
DeDe Dorsey
Abdul Hoge
Dexter Jackson
Chinedum Ndukwe
Jeremi Johnson
Corey Lynch
Ethan Kilmer
Reagan Mauia
Dan Santucci
Matt Sherry
Rashad Bauman
Madieu Williams
Andrew Whitworth
Levi Jones
Scott Kooistra
Herana Daze Jones
Bennie Brazell
Chris Perry
Caleb Miller
Tab Perry
Lemar Marshall
Eric Henderson
Frostee Rucker

So.... wtf? At what point do we notice a pattern here? This seems beyond getting "bitten by the injury bug."

Bad teams always have lots of injuries. Losing players contributes to a bad record and having a bad record means no one hurries back to the lineup. Carson would probably be playing with his sore elbow on some other teams. Let's also not ignore that other teams have had serious injury problems too including the Steelers.

I think there are several factors at work.

Yes, there's a lack of desire and need to "gut it out" on a 1-9 team.

I think there's a little bit of laziness involved, too. Guys coming in from the off-season out of shape certainly accounts for some of it. Where this "whatever" attitude comes from has been debated to death, but blame aside, clearly that attitude does exist.

Young teams are going to see more injuries as well. It takes a pretty special physical specimen to survive NFL play. Most college players add a good 10-20 pounds to their playing weight in the pro's, let alone strength and agility. I think the conditioning varies greatly from one college program to the next. Even at the biggest "football factory" schools the time devoted to conditioning is far less, out of necessity, not to mention the season being about 1/3rd shorter.

There's been a good deal of debate over an indoor practice facility. You may not have noticed, but there have been an increase in practice field injuries as the weather has gotten colder and wetter.

Another theory, which is just some crackpot analysis on my part, is that new field turf being partly responsible. I don't have figures to back me up, but it seems like there have been a lot more non-contact knee and ankle injuries on this new field. What I suspect is that the rubber "fill" material is too reactive, causing more shock to be reflected back into the body. Dirt gives more when you plant your foot than rubber.
No I did not stay at Holiday Inn last night.

Jeremi Johnson not getting cut might contribute to the problem. The Bengals aren't a well conditioned team and it shows up in things like pulled hammys and non-contact injuries. I would have cut fat Jeremi the first day of camp but the fact he's still getting paid on IR proves to the players that fitness isn't a priority with the team.

[quote name='T-Dub' post='726827' date='Nov 22 2008, 08:38 AM']I think there are several factors at work.

Yes, there's a lack of desire and need to "gut it out" on a 1-9 team.

I think there's a little bit of laziness involved, too. Guys coming in from the off-season out of shape certainly accounts for some of it. Where this "whatever" attitude comes from has been debated to death, but blame aside, clearly that attitude does exist.

Young teams are going to see more injuries as well. It takes a pretty special physical specimen to survive NFL play. Most college players add a good 10-20 pounds to their playing weight in the pro's, let alone strength and agility. I think the conditioning varies greatly from one college program to the next. Even at the biggest "football factory" schools the time devoted to conditioning is far less, out of necessity, not to mention the season being about 1/3rd shorter.

There's been a good deal of debate over an indoor practice facility. You may not have noticed, but there have been an increase in practice field injuries as the weather has gotten colder and wetter.
[b]
Another theory, which is just some crackpot analysis on my part, is that new field turf being partly responsible. I don't have figures to back me up, but it seems like there have been a lot more non-contact knee and ankle injuries on this new field. What I suspect is that the rubber "fill" material is too reactive, causing more shock to be reflected back into the body. Dirt gives more when you plant your foot than rubber.
No I did not stay at Holiday Inn last night.[/b][/quote]
I've had this thought as well. Seems like all of this injury crapola started about the same time the field turf went in..

*goes to look it up*

Field turf was installed for the '04 season.

I have to admit, as an out of towner w/o Sunday Ticket pre-2004, I couldn't tell you much about the team's injury history in 2003 or earlier. But I do wonder if that turf has contributed to the MASH unit that has been taking the field @ PBS the past few seasons.

Every team has to deal with them.
They are just excuses. Good teams find a way to win.

Yada-yada-yada, blah, blah, blah

Anyway, yeah, some of the injuries could be helped by more trainers,
better conditioning. But a lot of them, like Palmer, Pollack, Chris Perry,
Braham, Chad, Whitworth, Levi and Ndukwe's injuries are just part of football. Shit happens.

And then you have cheap shot like what happened to Palmer and Rivers . . .

Just wander how much of this can also be attributed to to medical staff misdiagnosing injuries... Chris Perry, Willie, Levi... I know that some of the players refer to Dr. C as "Dr. Death". Does anyone else remember the Sports Illustrated article a few years back that had the rankings of the NFL teams medical staffs based on the confidence the players had in them? Cincy was 32.

Injuries are more of a focus because our coaching staff/players can't overcome them to still produce victory.

With a season like this you'll see them IR players/bench players earlier on the side of caution/rehab and develop young players since there has been nothing to play for since early October.

[quote name='JoePong' post='726826' date='Nov 21 2008, 06:32 PM']We have alot of injuries because other teams beat the crap out of us and totally manhandle us.

Dude, when was the last time one of our WRs took out a LB for the season?[/quote]

when has that ever happened ever before ever in the league ever aside from wards helmet to chin hit?

never..

what kind of bullshit faggotry logic is that?

Archived