The New 24 Thread

Jason

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='744875' date='Feb 6 2009, 08:54 AM']actually, I think they are wanting you to think that its him so you're surprised when the reveal its someone else. They tend to do that. He's basically playing the "tony" role from season 1. Pain in the ass smart ass who has trouble listening to orders and keeping his mouth shut.

Based on who we've met so far, I think its the blonde we were briefly introduced to 2 weeks ago and that your guy went off on.[/quote]

Shocker, I was right.

However, if it had turned out to be Garafolo, I was done with this season. That would have been the dumbest thing this show has done in the seasons I watched (I didn't watch the last 2 because the writing was getting laughable).

Good job bringing Pierce back last night for a few seconds.

[quote name='Go Skins' post='747137' date='Feb 17 2009, 10:04 AM']Shocker, I was right.

However, if it had turned out to be Garafolo, I was done with this season. That would have been the dumbest thing this show has done in the seasons I watched (I didn't watch the last 2 because the writing was getting laughable).

Good job bringing Pierce back last night for a few seconds.[/quote]

I can understand your feelings about season 6, but season 5 was great.

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='Go Skins' post='756202' date='Mar 15 2009, 02:16 PM']Spoiler from the March 9th episode:

[spoiler]
Bill Buchanan dies while he and Jack try to capture the people taking over the White House.[/spoiler][/quote]

Yeah I think that was kinda inevitable though...unfortunate though

They really had to set up a rouge jack scenario cause thats when hes at his best sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...
From the 3/23 episode....

Shocker, Renee will end up back in the fold because Moss realizes he can't do it all. Shocker, the president's daughter did leak Bauer's involvment to the press. Seriously, the writing hasn't changed one bit. Come up with something that anyone couldn't see coming a mile away. There still has to be something else though, too much time is left for this WMD be the last thing to deal with.

Anyone that lives in DC should get a laugh out of this:

[url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/29/AR2009032902355.html"]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...9032902355.html[/url]

Howard Gordon, "24's" executive producer, concedes that the show's writing staff isn't exactly all that knowledgeable about the lay of our land. "We've all been to Washington," he says from "24's" production offices in Los Angeles, "but none of us are Washington residents. I'm the closest thing. I'm from New York."

The show's chief research tool on Washington geography: "We have a big map in our office."

If so, how to explain the crash of a passenger jet in the alleged Washington suburb of "Edgeboro, Md."? Or that Jack is able to maintain his tail on a suspect on "New York Avenue" by driving across a very large (and utterly imaginary) park?

Gordon says the names and locales need only to be plausible, if not literally accurate, since almost all of the 11 million who watch "24" each week have no idea what's where in the nation's capital. "The only people who really care about this are people with too much time on their hands," he says.

Also, Gordon points out another little thing: "24" is a made-up show. "It's called dramatic license," he says.

So let's see where we're at. (UK has just shown the one you had last monday).

Olivia, who came into it acting like a total slimebag, has turned out to be a total slimebag.
Ethan, who initially seemed strange, seems strange but nobel.
The assistant to Jonas looks like (thanks to blatantly obvious acting and direction) he will crack before it gets that far. I expect him to ring the FBI or something with a warning before it actually kicks off.
Jack went against his own rules and it bit him in the arse.
Tony, who would have been killed if he was a Star Trek redshirt, is inexplicably left alive by the terrorists. Well, I say inexplicably but it's clearly so he can be an inside guy helping Jack or something. The likelyhood of him being kept alive just so they can torture him to death is pretty slim.

In fact the only big change between this seasons writing and the rest is the possibility that the main evil villain is unlikely to be running Jack down in a Parking Lot.

24. Nuke, Bio, Nuke, Bio, Nuke, Bio ... what's the betting Day Eight involves a Nuke? And a mole inside CTU/FBI/Whitehouse/Whatever. And a big evil guy who by episode six turns out to be working for another evil guy who is dead by hour 12 and leads us to the actual big evil guy who we chase until the end. And nobody will trust Jack even though he's never been wrong about anything, ever.

I love 24, best show on TV. But blimey it's difficult to not see every plot twist coming. When was the last time someone was outed as the bad guy/gal/mole without being able to spot it coming a mile away? Someone needs to teach the actors to not act so fucking obviously slimey. And show the writers how to make it as surprising as it was in the first few seasons.

[quote name='VonBlade' post='759878' date='Mar 30 2009, 06:23 PM']So let's see where we're at. (UK has just shown the one you had last monday).

Olivia, who came into it acting like a total slimebag, has turned out to be a total slimebag.
Ethan, who initially seemed strange, seems strange but nobel.
The assistant to Jonas looks like (thanks to blatantly obvious acting and direction) he will crack before it gets that far. I expect him to ring the FBI or something with a warning before it actually kicks off.
Jack went against his own rules and it bit him in the arse.
Tony, who would have been killed if he was a Star Trek redshirt, is inexplicably left alive by the terrorists. Well, I say inexplicably but it's clearly so he can be an inside guy helping Jack or something. The likelyhood of him being kept alive just so they can torture him to death is pretty slim.

In fact the only big change between this seasons writing and the rest is the possibility that the main evil villain is unlikely to be running Jack down in a Parking Lot.

24. Nuke, Bio, Nuke, Bio, Nuke, Bio ... what's the betting Day Eight involves a Nuke? And a mole inside CTU/FBI/Whitehouse/Whatever. And a big evil guy who by episode six turns out to be working for another evil guy who is dead by hour 12 and leads us to the actual big evil guy who we chase until the end. And nobody will trust Jack even though he's never been wrong about anything, ever.

I love 24, best show on TV. But blimey it's difficult to not see every plot twist coming. When was the last time someone was outed as the bad guy/gal/mole without being able to spot it coming a mile away? Someone needs to teach the actors to not act so fucking obviously slimey. And show the writers how to make it as surprising as it was in the first few seasons.[/quote]

What about the plot twist where jack is infected by the biochemical and will eventually die from it? Would that surprise you at all? Cause I really have a feeling thats whats gonna happen, except it wont be a quick death (like george mason) it will be something that will kill him in season 8.

Maybe I was being a bit harsh. The death of Mayer was a little bit of a shock.

Jack dying from the chemical. Having been swamped with articles (during the year without 24 whilst trying to find out information (I'm a spoilerphobe)) that explained how Keifer wouldn't be against killing Jack and that he's probably done with 24 in series form then I wouldn't be utterly gobsmackingly shocked in the way I was with the death of President Palmer, or Bill or Ryan Chappell. Plus of course it's a bioweapon. I was shocked he was exposed to it, but for him to die from it does follow logically. Right now, not being able to see the one you get tonight until next monday, I'm expecting him to die within the hour.

The only way I could see it working if they wanted to extend the franchise whilst killing off Jack, would be to bring in Renee as the new Jack. She's almost been groomed for it and is the only one I feel would do what it takes. Although I thought the same about Mike Doyle in S6 and look how that turned out :)

It's got to be a quick death, because otherwise as a bioweapon it's pretty shoddy. Unless Day Eight continues straight after Day Seven. Which would be a twist.

Since there is someone in the UK that reads this....I will hide what I thought about last night's episode:

[spoiler]The guy that was going to help out Tony, and then double crossed him, why would they even bother with this? There was already plans to go into the compound regardless, the president signed the executive order, and Jon Voight has nothing to stand on (the previews for next week were laughable, more proof how badly written this show really is). There has to be something else since there is 8 hours left, and I am presuming the finale will be 2 hours sometime in May. It was interesting to see Jack pushed to the side for once, at least the writers want to try something different. [/spoiler]

[quote name='Go Skins' post='759960' date='Mar 31 2009, 08:44 AM']Since there is someone in the UK that reads this....I will hide what I thought about last night's episode:

[spoiler]The guy that was going to help out Tony, and then double crossed him, why would they even bother with this? There was already plans to go into the compound regardless, the president signed the executive order, and Jon Voight has nothing to stand on (the previews for next week were laughable, more proof how badly written this show really is). There has to be something else since there is 8 hours left, and I am presuming the finale will be 2 hours sometime in May. It was interesting to see Jack pushed to the side for once, at least the writers want to try something different. [/spoiler][/quote]

[spoiler] Not really sure what you are upset about...everyone was saying things like "Well obviously this Greg character is gonna sell out hodges you can tell how nervous he is, etc." Then they add a twist and show that he set up Tony the whole time. Not only did he set them up, but now their army guys have the whole fbi sorrounded which will easily allow Hodges the 1 hour it will take to get the bioweapons off the premises, and then there is no proof to hold starkwood for anything. Im sorta confused at what you are talking about, but whatever. The remaining 8 hours will probably go towards stopping the bioweapon and starkwood in general, along with Jack dealing with his life threatening illness. [/spoiler]

[quote name='VonBlade' post='759878' date='Mar 30 2009, 06:23 PM']The assistant to Jonas looks like (thanks to blatantly obvious acting and direction) he will crack before it gets that far. I expect him to ring the FBI or something with a warning before it actually kicks off.

I love 24, best show on TV. But blimey it's difficult to not see every plot twist coming. When was the last time someone was outed as the bad guy/gal/mole without being able to spot it coming a mile away? Someone needs to teach the actors to not act so fucking obviously slimey. And show the writers how to make it as surprising as it was in the first few seasons.[/quote]

[spoiler] Got you good. Almost as good as they got Tony. [/spoiler]

[quote name='Go Skins' post='759960' date='Mar 31 2009, 08:44 AM']Since there is someone in the UK that reads this....I will hide what I thought about last night's episode:

[spoiler]The guy that was going to help out Tony, and then double crossed him, why would they even bother with this? There was already plans to go into the compound regardless, the president signed the executive order, and Jon Voight has nothing to stand on (the previews for next week were laughable, more proof how badly written this show really is). There has to be something else since there is 8 hours left, and I am presuming the finale will be 2 hours sometime in May. It was interesting to see Jack pushed to the side for once, at least the writers want to try something different. [/spoiler][/quote]

I don't see any problem with it. [spoiler]not only did he buy Hodges some time, but if things go downhill, he's not got executive immunity to protect himself with.[/spoiler]

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='760009' date='Mar 31 2009, 11:34 AM']I don't see any problem with it. [spoiler]not only did he buy Hodges some time, but if things go downhill, he's not got executive immunity to protect himself with.[/spoiler][/quote]

[spoiler]They really use executive immunity wrongly imo, no way would any president give it before they had their hands on the weapons.[/spoiler]

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='760042' date='Mar 31 2009, 12:50 PM'][spoiler]They really use executive immunity wrongly imo, no way would any president give it before they had their hands on the weapons.[/spoiler][/quote]

Jamie and 1181, [spoiler]I dont think Greg has immunity anymore. I believe the president signs (at least in 24 world) a agreement saying that if the guy does what he says he is going to do (in this case, if Greg helps them find the bioweapon) then he gets immunity. But since he didnt do his end of the bargain, he doesnt have immunity now. Greg basically sacrificed himself for Starkwood. At least thats how I interpret the immunity thing working. [/spoiler]

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='760100' date='Mar 31 2009, 05:52 PM']Jamie and 1181, [spoiler]I dont think Greg has immunity anymore. I believe the president signs (at least in 24 world) a agreement saying that if the guy does what he says he is going to do (in this case, if Greg helps them find the bioweapon) then he gets immunity. But since he didnt do his end of the bargain, he doesnt have immunity now. Greg basically sacrificed himself for Starkwood. At least thats how I interpret the immunity thing working. [/spoiler][/quote]

true, but [spoiler]I believe the way they stated it, he promised to show them where they were. He could always make the claim that they were there, but Hodges got them moved before the team entered the building.[/spoiler]

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='760109' date='Mar 31 2009, 06:01 PM']true, but [spoiler]I believe the way they stated it, he promised to show them where they were. He could always make the claim that they were there, but Hodges got them moved before the team entered the building.[/spoiler][/quote]

I just dont think it works that way, I mean its possible, but im pretty sure he has to 100% live up to his end of the bargain.

Ok. Just seen this one.

1) Thanks a lot guys, but you don't have to spoiler tag stuff. I only come to this thread just after the latest episode but before you've seen the next.

2) The whole thing with Hodges right-hand man is bullshit. Ok so I thought he'd crack, and he did, but in a double-crossy way. And that makes zero sense. The writers set us up for two episodes that he might crack, so we believe it when he does. Except at the time he was showing signs of cracking he didn't know that Tony would be captured and his cracking under the pressure might prove useful for double-crossing Tony. So his cracking served no purpose at all apart from misdirecting the audience. Plot hole-a-riffic.

3) So what the fuck do we do with Jack? MrsVB postulated that Starkwood would have engineered a vaccine just in case and they'll find it just in time to save Jack. I vote that he's dead.

4) Olivier again. It definitely (see #2) seems they are setting up the fact that she was/is working for Starkwood as a private contractor and so might be a mole in the Presidents office. Again though any revelations, apart from the one that she's a bitch, wouldn't make any sense.

She (and let's assume Starkwood) can't have known that the First Man would chase them down, can't have known that Jack would find him, and can't have known that the President would call for her. And that's not including the very real possiblity that she and Juma can't have known that the Pres would open the door, saving Juma from having to cut her into pieces. So hopefully (if the writers care about logic) they wont reveal she is anything other than a power hungry bitch.

Of course as they demonstrated (see #2 again) they really don't care about logic. And so whilst I was "tricked" into believing Jonas' guy would crack when he didn't (although getting immunity and taken out the loop means he might have cracked, but in a way that looks like he didn't so Jonas doesn't hunt him down) I stand by my original assertion that you can read 24 like a pamphlet.

Not that I don't think it's the greatest program ever. And it is. Only the original Murder One series came close.

[quote name='Jason' post='763489' date='Apr 13 2009, 10:16 PM']I felt like I was reading a government document.

Nice twist in tonight's episode.[/quote]

Twist didn't surprise in the least, Tony said many episodes back there is a lot more than meets the eye (or something to that effect). He knows way too much, and had to make it look really good, and apparently it worked. He has a reason to be upset based on prior seasons.

The question is, what else is out there? The writers were really stalling for material this time around, and there are what, 6 hours left? We still have the president's daughter to deal with, if she is really bad or not (something tells me she is based on her acting which is beyond pathetic), and we know Jack will live since season 8 is coming, and it is pretty clear that Kim is the only one that can save him. Chloe still doesn't know Buchanan is dead. The ultimate twist would be if Garalofo is somehow involved, which wouldn't surprise me, she has been in the background enough, is jealous about Chloe, and her acting doesn't make her happy working.

Jamie should get a good laugh out of this, there is no Route 42 in Washington, DC - or any suburbs for that matter. I laughed when that was said and then Fairfax County which is the biggest county in the state of Virginia. You would think the writers would be smart enough to look at a DC map.

Tony twist didnt surprise me much...

However, I can almost guarantee that tony ISNT "bad" in the normal 24 sense of the word.

Yeah hes done bad things, but he isnt a terrorist or whatever.

He seemed generally sorry that he had to kill Moss and also stopped whatever Hodges had planned.

His motive Im still unsure about, but its definitely going to be something personal, hes not just gonna try to unleash the bioweapon on innocent people or something. My only guesses are to try to get immunity, to try to get payback against someone (Perhaps Logan?). I donno, all I do know (at least really really hope) is that Tony isnt a terrorist mastermind and isnt trying to kill innocent people.

Archived