Ben Utecht's gospel rock should be a hit in Cincy's locker room

oldschooler

[quote name='DontPushMe' post='773050' date='May 3 2009, 12:31 PM']nothing shows weakness of the human race quite like people following a dead man because of rumors they heard about him[/quote]

And the posts get stupider and stupider...

Sounds like you need to do a little historical homework.

[quote name='Le Tigre' post='773044' date='May 3 2009, 12:16 PM']Key word: try. In order to succeed at being like him...one has to follow his lead (and it's quite a bit deeper than the three examples you gave). Those that follow--and there are many more than you estimate--do "try"...and this takes place every moment of every day of their lives. It's a growing process--not something that one instantaeously transforms into because they decide to follow him. I do volunteer work at my church for just those kinds of people. They simultaneously are beat down by the outsiders who call them "fakes and hypocrites" and by those within who judge them as "not really one of us". One thing is for sure...the embodiment of what much of society and the world thinks anyone who follows him should totally be...will never be totally attained while living in this life. The followers seek, knock, and find--but not to its total completeness. So the followers fall short at times. The outsiders mock and judge. Some insiders mock and judge. The growth process continues.

Ben would understand this process. Most would not.[/quote]

Best post in thread.

[quote name='Elflocko' post='772938' date='May 2 2009, 10:56 PM']"Christians" != to people who actually try to live as Christ did (i.e. non-judgmental, loving, accepting, etc.). Those people are very few and far between, sadly.[/quote]

This is a pretty broad definition of Christianity. Lots of people try to live like that, but it doesn't mean they are Christians.

And I don't know about the non-judgemental part. Christ was very firm in differentiating between right and wrong and what is sinful. I guess it depends on your definition of judgemental. The modern definition seems to be all about not being able to make judgements about right and wrong regarding people's behavior. That is not what Christ taught.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='773073' date='May 3 2009, 12:25 PM']It's the posh thing to do.

Welcome to the site Marty, glad your here my friend.[/quote]
There's nothing "posh" or particularly special about making light of someone's faith (or lack thereof), no moreso than making fun of someone or something for any other reason. That's the point. It's just teasing anyway.

I think we've been ignoring the larger issue: Christian rock fucking sucks. Many have tried, none have succeeded. You have to have the Devil on your side if you wanna rock-n-roll.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='773080' date='May 3 2009, 02:36 PM']There's nothing "posh" or particularly special about making light of someone's faith (or lack thereof), no moreso than making fun of someone or something for any other reason. That's the point. It's just teasing anyway.

I think we've been ignoring the larger issue: Christian rock fucking sucks. Many have tried, none have succeeded. You have to have the Devil on your side if you wanna rock-n-roll.[/quote]

This thread is quickly going to end up in J&D.

Im not a huge fan of it either.

I do like Flyleaf however. (though they dont describe themselves as Christian Rock, so much as a band of believers.)

About the two girls at columbine who were asked if they believed in God and were murdered when they said yes.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='773080' date='May 3 2009, 02:36 PM']There's nothing "posh" or particularly special about making light of someone's faith (or lack thereof), no moreso than making fun of someone or something for any other reason. That's the point. It's just teasing anyway.

I think we've been ignoring the larger issue: Christian rock fucking sucks. Many have tried, none have succeeded. You have to have the Devil on your side if you wanna rock-n-roll.[/quote]

I have never really listened to it, but it has to be better than rap or hip-hop, which appeals only to the truly stupid and is perpetrated by a bunch of posers all trying to copy each other. Wear a wife-beater, a few chains around your neck, and make the same stupid motions with your hands as you rap that every other rap "artist" in the world does... Seriously, what's with the hand thing?

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='773081' date='May 3 2009, 02:41 PM']When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

:)[/quote]

Don't know what gods you are talking about. I am not religious, I am Christian. It takes me about 3 seconds to dismiss every other religion in the world, but Christianity (and the God of the Bible) is validated to me constantly basically becasue everything He has said has proven to be correct over time.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='773082' date='May 3 2009, 01:42 PM']This thread is quickly going to end up in J&D.

Im not a huge fan of it either.

About the two girls at columbine who were asked if they believed in God and were murdered when they said yes.[/quote]

That story is not true - it did not happen.

[url="http://www.salon.com/news/feature/1999/09/30/bernall/"]http://www.salon.com/news/feature/1999/09/30/bernall/[/url]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassie_Bernall"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassie_Bernall[/url]

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' post='772765' date='May 2 2009, 01:14 PM']since this is a religious topic, im going to say HOLLY Shit this one funny ass thread :thumbsup:
but really, i think Utecht isn't a bust. no one on the team had a good year last year. we couldn't get nothing right.
not his fault, and i think that he will be a good TE this season for Carson.[/quote]

Who's Holly Shit?

[quote name='Elflocko' post='772947' date='May 2 2009, 11:15 PM']Exactly.

If someone posts a video of Dhani singing "I'm a Barbie Girl", the board would roast him mercilessly.

But because a player is singing about their sky buddy, OH NO!!!! YOU"RE WORSE THAN DICK CHENEY"S LESBIAN DAUGHTER"S IRON DILDO!!!!!

Please...[/quote]

If Carson made the album, there would be no negative comments. If Rey Maualuga (already seems to be a fan favorite) made the album, nothing. Same goes for such players as Keith Rivers and Chinedum Ndukwe. The ribbing is coming from the consensus here that Ben Utecht has been a disappointing signing. It all goes back to football - even religion.

[quote name='WhoDeyBabe' post='773085' date='May 3 2009, 01:47 PM']Don't know what gods you are talking about. I am not religious, I am Christian. It takes me about 3 seconds to dismiss every other religion in the world, but Christianity (and the God of the Bible) is validated to me constantly basically becasue everything He has said has proven to be correct over time.[/quote]

Right - here comes the swine flu to wipe out all of us non-believers who eat pork! Not to mention those of who us have the gall to plant two different crops side by side.

[quote name='bengalmonsta' post='773072' date='May 3 2009, 01:21 PM']Damn didnt know I was in here with a bunch of Godless Heathens!! :P

Funny how the internet is like liquid courage...Everybodys balls are just a lil bit bigger on here....Everybody attackin my God (yea I know yall think its fake, Christians are stupid blah, blah, blah) Lets hope ur right for ur sake (even though yall wrong) might wanna move this to the dubya forum unless yall wanna start
talkin football again.[/quote]
Im equally as shocked that there are this many religious people. Ive always noticed that more people on the internet arent religious, and surely its because people who in their day to day life act religious for fear of ridicule are more comfortable being truthful when they have some anonymity.

Lets hope we're right? Maybe you should turn that around on you, lets hope you are right, otherwise you have wasted countless hours of your life on something made up.

If im wrong, ill get to find out if this god is really all loving, or is he just some pompus egotistical asshole who tortures his "children" for eternity because they didnt worship him enough.

[quote name='WhoDeyBabe' post='773083' date='May 3 2009, 02:43 PM']I have never really listened to it, but it has to be better than rap or hip-hop, which appeals only to the truly stupid and is perpetrated by a bunch of posers all trying to copy each other. Wear a wife-beater, a few chains around your neck, and make the same stupid motions with your hands as you rap that every other rap "artist" in the world does... Seriously, what's with the hand thing?[/quote]

i like rap, and i love it. but i do also like all kinds of other music. i don't go around town screaming Yeeeeeeahhhh Boooooooooyyyyyyy and saying Flava flaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaav.

[quote name='mjm47' post='773086' date='May 3 2009, 02:49 PM']That story is not true - it did not happen.

[url="http://www.salon.com/news/feature/1999/09/30/bernall/"]http://www.salon.com/news/feature/1999/09/30/bernall/[/url]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassie_Bernall"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassie_Bernall[/url][/quote]

Doesn't take away from the message.

[quote name='DontPushMe' post='773089' date='May 3 2009, 02:51 PM']Im equally as shocked that there are this many religious people. Ive always noticed that more people on the internet arent religious, and surely its because people who in their day to day life act religious for fear of ridicule are more comfortable being truthful when they have some anonymity.

Lets hope we're right? Maybe you should turn that around on you, lets hope you are right, otherwise you have wasted countless hours of your life on something made up.

If im wrong, ill get to find out if this god is really all loving, or is he just some pompus egotistical asshole who tortures his "children" for eternity because they didnt worship him enough.[/quote]

I just feel sad for you and how combatively ignorant you are.

Im moving this to J&D.

I think we've been ignoring the larger issue: [b]Christian rock fucking sucks. Many have tried, none have succeeded.[/b] You have to have the Devil on your side if you wanna rock-n-roll.[/quote]

Ok just gotta chime in here... To say that Christian rock sucks is a matter of opinion....To say it is a failure it totally ignorant.
I've produced some Christian/pop/Rand B/rock albums.
Won a few stellar awards, some Dove awards and nominated for a few grammys blah, blah, blah.
Christian music has a built in audience that aint goin nowhere...Its music sales have tapered off about a tenth of the rest of record industries.
Trust me I know people who are VERY rich of off doin Christian Rock (Im doin ok)...So to say that none have succeeded?
HAHA! You're funny!
Now can we please move this so I aint gotta comment in this stupid thread no more? :P

[quote name='bengalmonsta' post='773093' date='May 3 2009, 02:56 PM']Ok just gotta chime in here... To say that Christian rock sucks is a matter of opinion....To say it is a failure it totally ignorant.
I've produced some Christian/pop/Rand B/rock albums.
Won a few stellar awards, some Dove awards and nominated for a few grammys blah, blah, blah.
Christian music has a built in audience that aint goin nowhere...Its music sales have tapered off about a tenth of the rest of record industries.
Trust me I know people who are VERY rich of off doin Christian Rock (Im doin ok)...So to say that none have succeeded?
HAHA! You're funny!
Now can we please move this so I aint gotta comment in this stupid thread no more? :P[/quote]

Michal W Smith and DC Talk both hit the top 40 pop charts.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='773091' date='May 3 2009, 01:54 PM']Doesn't take away from the message.[/quote]

Sure it does - the message is built on a fucking lie. The hypocrisy of that doesn't distract from the "message?"

[quote name='WhoDeyBabe' post='773083' date='May 3 2009, 01:43 PM']I have never really listened to it, but it has to be better than rap or hip-hop, which appeals only to the truly stupid and is perpetrated by a bunch of posers all trying to copy each other. Wear a wife-beater, a few chains around your neck, and make the same stupid motions with your hands as you rap that every other rap "artist" in the world does... Seriously, what's with the hand thing?[/quote]
Just because you dont like rap doesnt make it a bad genre of music. I basically act and dress like a laid back beach dude, but i love rap. I prefer rock but i listen to both, and i dont have to act you describe to enjoy it. You could use your logic to discredit any genre by pointing out some stereotypes about it and generalizing them.
[quote name='WhoDeyBabe' post='773085' date='May 3 2009, 01:47 PM']Don't know what gods you are talking about. I am not religious, I am Christian. It takes me about 3 seconds to dismiss every other religion in the world, but Christianity (and the God of the Bible) is validated to me constantly basically becasue everything He has said has proven to be correct over time.[/quote]
How do you dismiss every other god in 3 seconds? Do you want me to show you some of the inaccurate statements in the bible? There are a lot of them. And you do know that had you just happened to be born in Iraq, you would be a devout muslim, as sure that you are right about islam as you are about christianity now, right?
[quote name='Jamie_B' post='773091' date='May 3 2009, 01:54 PM']Doesn't take away from the message.[/quote]
I would think it does, considering the event didnt happen..
[quote name='Jamie_B' post='773092' date='May 3 2009, 01:55 PM']I just feel sad for you and how combatively ignorant you are.

Im moving this to J&D.[/quote]
Good way to dismiss an argument that you have no real counter to.

[quote name='DontPushMe' post='773089' date='May 3 2009, 02:51 PM']If im wrong, ill get to find out if this god is really all loving, or is he just some pompus egotistical asshole who tortures his "children" for eternity because they didnt worship him enough.[/quote]

Why would a loving God force you to be with him for all eternity after you have spent your life rejecting Him and wanting nothing to do with Him? Seems like that would be pretty cruel.

[quote name='mjm47' post='773097' date='May 3 2009, 03:00 PM']Sure it does - the message is built on a fucking lie. The hypocrisy of that doesn't distract from the "message?"[/quote]

Why? Is music always literal for you? I tend to think that most music is metaphorical.

[quote name='DontPushMe' post='773098' date='May 3 2009, 03:01 PM']And you do know that had you just happened to be born in Iraq, you would be a devout muslim, as sure that you are right about islam as you are about christianity now, right?[/quote]

LOL! I WAS born in Iraq, genius! I fled with my family from Iraq when I was younger to escape persecution.

You apparently need to reconsider some of your preconceived notions about religion.

Archived