Ben Utecht's gospel rock should be a hit in Cincy's locker room

oldschooler

[quote]Fri May 01, 2009 12:30 pm EDT

[size=5][b]Ben Utecht's gospel rock should be a hit in Cincy's locker room[/b][/size]
By MJD

I've learned two things about [url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/cin/"][color="#0069aa"]Cincinnati Bengals[/color][/url] tight end [url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7499/"][color="#0069aa"]Ben Utecht[/color][/url] that I didn't know before today. One, he's the religious sort; kind of like the [url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4541/"][color="#0069aa"]Kurt Warner[/color][/url] of tight ends. And two, he's a musician with a lovely voice and a new album devoted to his relationship with Christ.From [url="http://www.cbn.com/cbnmusic/news/043009_BenUtecht_DebutAlbum.aspx"][color="#0069aa"]the Christian Broadcasting Network[/color][/url]:

[indent]Full of passion, depth and insight into the struggles of faith and life, Utecht is a fresh new wordsmith, musician and singer, from an unlikely arena. Utecht has performed the national anthem at numerous college and pro sports events, played at churches over the years and even sung for both President Bushes. Tomorrow he celebrates the new album release with a concert at the Montgomery Community Church in Cincinnati, OH.

When asked about his successes, Utecht responds, “My identity is as a Christian, not a football player or musician. In music and sports, the things people are doing become who they are. While people come to hear my testimony as a professional athlete, or see me as a musician, it is who I am as a believer in Christ that I want people to see.”[/indent]It appears to be a self-titled album, and [url="http://www.benutecht.com/portals/38/ecards/2009_04_BenUtecht_listeningparty/index.html"][color="#0069aa"]you can hear it here[/color][/url].

I'm happy for anyone who's found something to believe in, and if singing about his faith makes Ben Utecht feel happy, then I'm all for it. I wouldn't have thought that he'd be the first Cincinnati Bengal putting out an album, though. My guess is that it would have been an album titled "Find A Law And I'll Break It," by ... well, any number of people, really.[/quote]

[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Ben-Utecht-s-gospel-rock-should-be-a-hit-in-Cinc?urn=nfl,160559"]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl,160559[/url]

[b][color="#FF8C00"]First off, even though I don't share the same faith as Utecht, It AMAZES me that someone would openly mock another man for his. It's disgusting on a level we haven't seen since the last Dick Cheney Interview.

That being said, I've spent the last few days emailing with one of Ben's reps, Rick Hoganson. Rick was kind enough to send me a press copy of the CD.

I was working on a letter for our Draft party donation to Ndukwe's NuWay foudation late last night, so I popped the CD in while I was working.

Ben has pretty good pipes. Of course, you can tell the production work went into it, but at the same time, I feel that Ben could perform live and not be booed off the stage. Now is he the next Michael W Smith? Not by any means. But if you are of the Christian faith, this CD is quite enjoyable.

Without knowing that is was a religious type album, you could listen to the first sing titled Generation and think it's a pop rock song, similar to "Place in this World" by Michael W Smith.

The short of it is, if Ben decides to walk away from football tomorrow, he's got another career that he's pretty good at. I give it a B+

Marty
BengalsRoar.com
martin.smith@bengalsroar.com[/color] [/b]

[quote name='Mortgage_Man_X' post='772733' date='May 2 2009, 12:07 PM'][b][color="#FF8C00"]First off, even though I don't share the same faith as Utecht, It AMAZES me that someone would openly mock another man for his. It's disgusting on a level we haven't seen since the last Dick Cheney Interview.

That being said, I've spent the last few days emailing with one of Ben's reps, Rick Hoganson. Rick was kind enough to send me a press copy of the CD.

I was working on a letter for our Draft party donation to Ndukwe's NuWay foudation late last night, so I popped the CD in while I was working.

Ben has pretty good pipes. Of course, you can tell the production work went into it, but at the same time, I feel that Ben could perform live and not be booed off the stage. Now is he the next Michael W Smith? Not by any means. But if you are of the Christian faith, this CD is quite enjoyable.

Without knowing that is was a religious type album, you could listen to the first sing titled Generation and think it's a pop rock song, similar to "Place in this World" by Michael W Smith.

The short of it is, if Ben decides to walk away from football tomorrow, he's got another career that he's pretty good at. I give it a B+

Marty
BengalsRoar.com
martin.smith@bengalsroar.com[/color] [/b][/quote]

And if the article had been about him knitting sweaters for orphans I would have mocked that too.

I'd much rather read an article about him working to [b]not[/b] suck at playing Tight End.

[quote name='Elflocko' post='772737' date='May 2 2009, 12:17 PM']And if the article had been about him knitting sweaters for orphans I would have mocked that too.

I'd much rather read an article about him working to [b]not[/b] suck at playing Tight End.[/quote]

[b][color="#FF8C00"]You ever played tight end in the NFL? It's amazing how quickly the bleacher jokeys love to critizise a man doing something on his own time.

Go Figure[/color].[/b]

[quote name='Mortgage_Man_X' post='772743' date='May 2 2009, 12:35 PM'][b][color="#FF8C00"]You ever played tight end in the NFL? It's amazing how quickly the bleacher jokeys love to critizise a man doing something on his own time.

Go Figure[/color].[/b][/quote]

:254:

[quote name='Mortgage_Man_X' post='772743' date='May 2 2009, 12:35 PM'][b][color="#FF8C00"]You ever played tight end in the NFL? It's amazing how quickly the bleacher jokeys love to critizise a man doing something on his own time.

please return to BengalsRoar.com

thanks

It is the NFL and he hasn't shown a damn thing as of yet...I don't hate the guy personally, but maybe he should apply some of that effort on the field.

[quote name='Mortgage_Man_X' post='772749' date='May 2 2009, 12:46 PM'][b][color="#FF8C00"]Um, no.

Thanks.

Who let the retarded panda out anyway?[/[/color]b][/quote]

oh shit that was a good burn damn i'm still sizzling ouch

"In the beginning was only Being,
One without a second.
Out of himself he brought forth the cosmos
And entered into everything in it.
There is nothing that does not come from him.
Of everything he is the inmost Self.
He is the truth; he is the Self Supreme.
You are that, You are that."

Chandogya Upanishad 6 - 2.2

[quote name='bengalmonsta' post='772755' date='May 2 2009, 11:52 AM']Dang, how far have we fallen in society when a man does something positive in his life and all you get is a bunch of HATAZ! :huh:[/quote]

Hmmm, this could have unintended consequences.

As Roger Goodell is obviously in league with Satan, I could see Utecht being suspended indefinitely...

since this is a religious topic, im going to say HOLLY Shit this one funny ass thread :thumbsup:
but really, i think Utecht isn't a bust. no one on the team had a good year last year. we couldn't get nothing right.
not his fault, and i think that he will be a good TE this season for Carson.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='772758' date='May 2 2009, 12:56 PM']My favorite track was the last one on the CD titled "Chase Coffman Just Took My Fucking Job, Why God?"[/quote]
:lol: :rofl:

Christian music practically makes fun of itself!!

I got hopes that Utech can still contribute. But after reading about Coffman I think he's our TE of the future.

well....

two things here...

are people being dbags for making fun of the christ rock? sure... tho its not too different than just about any other criticism that gets pelted around here.. different people have different feelings on things, i can assure you Ben is comfortable enough in his faith and beliefs to not give a damn what anyone here is saying.

good for him for doing something he enjoys and believes in.

and how ridiculous are the people making his a disappointing bust... he has been here part of a single injured season... OH NO!!!

coates and kelly are more ont he chop block than ben is at this point.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='772786' date='May 2 2009, 02:06 PM']well....

two things here...

are people being dbags for making fun of the christ rock? sure... tho its not too different than just about any other criticism that gets pelted around here.. different people have different feelings on things, i can assure you Ben is comfortable enough in his faith and beliefs to not give a damn what anyone here is saying.

good for him for doing something he enjoys and believes in.

and how ridiculous are the people making his a disappointing bust... he has been here part of a single injured season... OH NO!!!

coates and kelly are more ont he chop block than ben is at this point.[/quote]

B)

I'd LOVE to see Daniel Coats gone. Fui the 7th rounder took care of FB and Coffman and Utecht took care of TE. We carried three TE's at the start of last season, and we could do it again.

Archived