Ben Utecht's gospel rock should be a hit in Cincy's locker room

oldschooler

[quote name='WhoDeyBabe' post='773102' date='May 3 2009, 03:05 PM']LOL! I WAS born in Iraq, genius! I fled with my family from Iraq when I was younger to escape persecution.

You apparently need to reconsider some of your preconceived notions about religion.[/quote]

my mom was born in Iraq, and my bebe lives here. you should know what that is.

elhas teeze gawaad

you don't like rap welaak ?

[quote name='DontPushMe' post='773098' date='May 3 2009, 03:01 PM']Just because you dont like rap doesnt make it a bad genre of music. I basically act and dress like a laid back beach dude, but i love rap. I prefer rock but i listen to both, and i dont have to act you describe to enjoy it. You could use your logic to discredit any genre by pointing out some stereotypes about it and generalizing them.

How do you dismiss every other god in 3 seconds? Do you want me to show you some of the inaccurate statements in the bible? There are a lot of them. And you do know that had you just happened to be born in Iraq, you would be a devout muslim, as sure that you are right about islam as you are about christianity now, right?

I would think it does, considering the event didnt happen..

Good way to dismiss an argument that you have no real counter to.[/quote]

What argument that I have no real counter to? What I see in you is someone who comes into these types of threads with a vitrol hatred of something you have no real understanding of or spent real time with other than what Hitchens has told you. And you do it every time these topics come up. Its sading. Who is anyone hurting if they believe in something you dont? Yet you seem to get a rage in you as if you have been hurt by these people. I feel sorry for you that you have such anger.

[quote name='bengalmonsta' post='773101' date='May 3 2009, 03:04 PM']yep.....worked with Tobymac numerous times, trust me dude is loaded.[/quote]

I got to preform with Michal Tait (I play trumpet) in a big church service once. His sister has a set of pipes on her that would make the hairs on your arms stand up.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' post='773104' date='May 3 2009, 02:08 PM']my mom was born in Iraq, and my bebe lives here. you should know what that is.

elhas teeze gawaad[/quote]

I left with my parents and older brother a little after saddam took over. Most of the rest of my family was executed but I still have aunts and uncles. My family had always lived there (they speak assyrian) but they are all Christian. It just thinks it shows how ignorant these people are who just assume you believe something just because that's how you were raised. Most christians I know believe what they do based on thorough examination and have concluded that it is true. Likewise, most people I know who are so anti-Christian are extremely ignorant about Christianity and have very fallacious arguments.

[quote name='WhoDeyBabe' post='773099' date='May 3 2009, 02:02 PM']Why would a loving God force you to be with him for all eternity after you have spent your life rejecting Him and wanting nothing to do with Him? Seems like that would be pretty cruel.[/quote]
Why would a loving god torture someone for not worshiping him? You would get thrown in jail for half the things god does or says he will do.
[quote name='WhoDeyBabe' post='773102' date='May 3 2009, 02:05 PM']LOL! I WAS born in Iraq, genius! I fled with my family from Iraq when I was younger to escape persecution.

You apparently need to reconsider some of your preconceived notions about religion.[/quote]
Ok so your parents were christian? Obviously you are the exception to the rule then. The vast majority of people just accept the religion that they are raised into by their parents. That is a fact.
[quote name='Jamie_B' post='773105' date='May 3 2009, 02:09 PM']What argument that I have no real counter to? What I see in you is someone who comes into these types of threads with a vitrol hatred of something you have no real understanding of or spent real time with other than what Hitchens has told you. And you do it every time these topics come up. Its sading. Who is anyone hurting if they believe in something you dont? Yet you seem to get a rage in you as if you have been hurt by these people. I feel sorry for you that you have such anger.[/quote]
I have no understanding of it? Bro i went to church until i was 18ish. I was one of the people brainwashed because their parents took them there for years. Luckily for me, i started to think critically about it and realized that it didnt really make much sense. Then i started taking college science classes, and was given the answers to the questions i was looking for.

So because you went to church for 18 years that makes you qualified? I would have to disagree, Ive spent many a years in church as well and realize that there are many many many people who get it wrong even in church.

You want an example? Look at the recent report on the number of faithful who believed torture is ok, I submit to you they have forgotten what it says about loving your enemies and not fighting evil with evil.

You have taken a set of folks and painted all of them with a very angry brush, and for that I feel so sad for you.

That's why Le Tigre's post was dead on.

[quote name='WhoDeyBabe' post='773102' date='May 3 2009, 02:05 PM']LOL! I WAS born in Iraq, genius! I fled with my family from Iraq when I was younger to escape persecution.

I thought you were 1/3 Indian.

:ninja:

[quote name='Tigris' post='773087' date='May 3 2009, 12:50 PM']If Carson made the album, there would be no negative comments. If Rey Maualuga (already seems to be a fan favorite) made the album, nothing. Same goes for such players as Keith Rivers and Chinedum Ndukwe. The ribbing is coming from the consensus here that Ben Utecht has been a disappointing signing. It all goes back to football - even religion.[/quote]
While this post is funny (how even religion goes back to football), it isn't true. I would make fun of whomever for doing this. We used to have green grass and high tides forever getting comedy mileage out of John Kitna for being so outspoken about his religion (granted, he may not be a very good example for my argument, because he fucking sucks too!).

Bill Maher said it best "God doesn't care who wins the game, so quit [i]thanking[/i] him! You don't hear anyone [i]blaming[/i] Him when they lose! That goddamn Jesus, I had the ball right there...I know what it was, the other team outprayed us at halftime, that's what happened!"

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='773111' date='May 3 2009, 02:20 PM']So because you went to church for 18 years that makes you qualified? I would have to disagree, Ive spent many a years in church as well and realize that there are many many many people who get it wrong even in church.

You want an example? Look at the recent report on the number of faithful who believed torture is ok, I submit to you they have forgotten what it says about loving your enemies and not fighting evil with evil.

You have taken a set of folks and painted all of them with a very angry brush, and for that I feel so sad for you.

That's why Le Tigre's post was dead on.[/quote]
well we can find some common ground there, that many of the people who call themselves christians dont act the way the book describes christ

all im saying is, i have a background in christianity because i had it shoved down my throat for 18 years, so im not speaking on something that i know nothing about... im not some master on it, but im also not just someone who was raised by anti-christs who reads dawkins and hates god... my parents are christians, and i havent read any of the hate god books, almost all of my anti religion opinions come from science classes and my own opinions

[quote name='DontPushMe' post='773120' date='May 3 2009, 04:21 PM']well we can find some common ground there, that many of the people who call themselves christians dont act the way the book describes christ

all im saying is, i have a background in christianity because i had it shoved down my throat for 18 years, so im not speaking on something that i know nothing about... im not some master on it, but im also not just someone who was raised by anti-christs who reads dawkins and hates god... my parents are christians, and i havent read any of the hate god books, almost all of my anti religion opinions come from science classes and my own opinions[/quote]

im sure we'd find common ground on many things.

and here is my point on this, can you sit and tell me what is literal and what is metaphorical? do you realize that the vatican said science and the bible are not enemies? That's my point here, there is a deeper understanding that alot of folks even in church just simply do not understand that if they spent time with would come to realize that. Thats why I said that to you.

There is not a single faith one person can say is without fault. However, the issue that "someone" says something (Cheney) said was disgusting yet act upset when those stones are tossed back their way is hypocritical. It was not Elf or anyone else who cast that first stone.

Rely on your faith as a crutch but don't cancel out the thoughts through censorship of those who do not believe in your "brand" of religion in which what you say is the only truth. In essence what you have done is just perpetuate the sterotypical religious fanaticism. Censorship and/or moving a thread is no more than a way to avoid hearing someone elses opinion. Now we can sit back and sing Kumbaya and love will prevail across the world...

Man this was my kinda discussion and I missed it.

I'd make fun of any player's gospel rock. I write ridiculous prog/power metal that I'm sure lotsa people here would laugh at if they heard too.

There needs to be a lot more poking fun at peoples religions so we can start to look at this ridiculous mythology with a critical eye and start to put it behind us. The sooner our people start thinking without supernatural nonsense clouding their minds, the sooner we can right this sinking ship.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='773183' date='May 3 2009, 08:28 PM']Man this was my kinda discussion and I missed it.

I'd make fun of any player's gospel rock. I write ridiculous prog/power metal that I'm sure lotsa people here would laugh at if they heard too.

There needs to be a lot more poking fun at peoples religions so we can start to look at this ridiculous mythology with a critical eye and start to put it behind us. The sooner our people start thinking without supernatural nonsense clouding their minds, the sooner we can right this sinking ship.[/quote]

prog?

[quote name='WhoDeyBabe' post='773078' date='May 3 2009, 02:35 PM']This is a pretty broad definition of Christianity. Lots of people try to live like that, but it doesn't mean they are Christians.

And I don't know about the non-judgemental part. Christ was very firm in differentiating between right and wrong and what is sinful. I guess it depends on your definition of judgemental. The modern definition seems to be all about not being able to make judgements about right and wrong regarding people's behavior. That is not what Christ taught.[/quote]

That post was directed towards the "God-hates-fags-let's-torture-you're-going-to-hell-for-that-abortion" crowd.

And Jesus was the least judgmental of the bible crowd.

Maybe you need to read a little closer...

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='773081' date='May 3 2009, 02:41 PM']When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

:)[/quote]

Everyone here is an atheist.

Some of us just choose to take it one god further...

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='773203' date='May 3 2009, 09:20 PM']no[/quote]

So you believe in and worship Allah, Oman Rah, The Flying Spaghetti Monster, Zues, Vishnu, Ganesh, et al?

That's a yes or no question, Jamie...

[quote name='Elflocko' post='773205' date='May 3 2009, 09:22 PM']So you believe in and worship Allah, Oman Rah, The Flying Spaghetti Monster, Zues, Vishnu, Ganesh, et al?

That's a yes or no question, Jamie...[/quote]

no it isnt

[quote name='Elflocko' post='773202' date='May 3 2009, 08:18 PM']Everyone here is an atheist.

Some of us just choose to take it one god further...[/quote]

Yeah, here's the full quote.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Stephen Roberts

Archived