Ben Utecht's gospel rock should be a hit in Cincy's locker room

oldschooler

I for one was only playing along with the so-called "HATAZ" because [b]Mortgage Man X[/b] kinda came in here all tossing the moral indignation card around...shit, we made fun of Kitna for the same damn thing, and that's all it is, good-natured ribbing. I believe in God just fine.

Whatever.

And I agree with Go, there's little chance Utecht gets cut. I just hope that he (and all our players, for that matter) stay healthy for once. We're due a break from the injury bug.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='772807' date='May 2 2009, 02:00 PM']I for one was only playing along with the so-called "HATAZ" because [b]Mortgage Man X[/b] kinda came in here all tossing the moral indignation card around...shit, we made fun of Kitna for the same damn thing, and that's all it is, good-natured ribbing. I believe in God just fine.

Whatever.

And I agree with Go, there's little chance Utecht gets cut. I just hope that he (and all our players, for that matter) stay healthy for once. We're due a break from the injury bug.[/quote]

Exactly.

Moral indignation just makes me want to twist the knife more...

[quote name='DontPushMe' post='772834' date='May 2 2009, 04:04 PM']why is it that making fun of religion is somehow different than making fun of someone for anything else?

calling something faith doesnt give it special rights.. or at least it shouldnt[/quote]

Praise Vishnu and pass the virgins...

[quote name='Bunghole' post='772867' date='May 2 2009, 07:19 PM']There you go making sense again!
:P
Anyway, how many Gregs are there for all the Dharmas?[/quote]

There are as many Gregs as there are grains of sand in all the oceans in all the worlds in all the directions, for the dharmas [in this context dharmas meaning states of being, modes, etc.,] are infinite.

:ninja:

[quote]First off, even though I don't share the same faith as Utecht, It AMAZES me that someone would openly mock another man for his. It's disgusting on a level we haven't seen since the last Dick Cheney Interview.[/quote]

Let he who is without cast the first stone. It's ok to criticize one man but not another? Get real.

You rock Elf. Keep going.

[quote name='Numbers' post='772921' date='May 2 2009, 09:11 PM']Let he who is without cast the first stone. It's ok to criticize one man but not another? Get real.

You rock Elf. Keep going.[/quote]
Not to mention comparing mocking someone (in a god, er [b]good[/b]natured way) over the internet is somehow comparable to [i]anything[/i] Dick Cheney has ever done or said.

Yeesh.

[quote name='Numbers' post='772921' date='May 2 2009, 10:11 PM']Let he who is without cast the first stone. It's ok to criticize one man but not another? Get real.

You rock Elf. Keep going.[/quote]

I just don't understand why religion seems to have this privileged status above criticism or jest. Seems a little too much like Saudi Arabia or Iran for my taste.

Why, pray tell, does an all-powerful, all-knowing being that supposedly created everything and everyone need protection from hurtful words from his supposedly inferior creations?

[quote name='Elflocko' post='772926' date='May 2 2009, 09:35 PM']I just don't understand why religion seems to have this privileged status above criticism or jest. Seems a little too much like Saudi Arabia or Iran for my taste.

Why, pray tell, does an all-powerful, all-knowing being that supposedly created everything and everyone need protection from hurtful words from his supposedly inferior creations?[/quote]
He doesn't, and He [i]better[/i] have a sense of humor or I am seriously fucked.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='772929' date='May 2 2009, 10:37 PM']He doesn't, and He [i]better[/i] have a sense of humor or I am seriously fucked.[/quote]

And yet we have his minions (or hers or theirs, depending on what deity you're referring to) whipping themselves into an evangelical frenzy anytime someone dares make a joke about said diety.

:rolleyes:

[img]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b226/lodge308/8310protect-me-jesus-posters.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Elflocko' post='772933' date='May 2 2009, 08:47 PM']And yet we have his minions (or hers or theirs, depending on what deity you're referring to) whipping themselves into an evangelical frenzy anytime someone dares make a joke about said diety.

:rolleyes:

[img]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b226/lodge308/8310protect-me-jesus-posters.jpg[/img][/quote]
That's what is crazy...I am busy defending [i]genuine[/i] Christians (they do exist) from unwarranted attack because certain sectors of our white upper middle class and upward have hijacked Christianity for their political and social means, none of which represent Christianity at all.

It's all a bunch of lip service.

[quote name='Elflocko' post='772926' date='May 2 2009, 09:35 PM']I just don't understand why religion seems to have this privileged status above criticism or jest. Seems a little too much like Saudi Arabia or Iran for my taste.

Why, pray tell, does an all-powerful, all-knowing being that supposedly created everything and everyone need protection from hurtful words from his supposedly inferior creations?[/quote]
Seriously.

If we found out that one of our players was releasing a cd where he would be singing about star wars, he would get made fun of mecilessly, why is this any different? The only difference i can think of is star wars is a sci-fi movie and bible is a sci-fi book.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='772935' date='May 2 2009, 10:50 PM']That's what is crazy...I am busy defending [i]genuine[/i] Christians (they do exist) from unwarranted attack because certain sectors of our white upper middle class and upward have hijacked Christianity for their political and social means, none of which represent Christianity at all.

It's all a bunch of lip service.[/quote]

"Christians" != to people who actually try to live as Christ did (i.e. non-judgmental, loving, accepting, etc.). Those people are very few and far between, sadly.

[quote name='DontPushMe' post='772936' date='May 2 2009, 10:52 PM']Seriously.

If we found out that one of our players was releasing a cd where he would be singing about star wars, he would get made fun of mecilessly, why is this any different? The only difference i can think of is star wars is a sci-fi movie and bible is a sci-fi book.[/quote]

Exactly.

If someone posts a video of Dhani singing "I'm a Barbie Girl", the board would roast him mercilessly.

But because a player is singing about their sky buddy, OH NO!!!! YOU"RE WORSE THAN DICK CHENEY"S LESBIAN DAUGHTER"S IRON DILDO!!!!!

Please...

[quote name='Elflocko' post='772947' date='May 2 2009, 10:15 PM']Exactly.

If someone posts a video of Dhani singing "I'm a Barbie Girl", the board would roast him mercilessly.

But because a player is singing about their sky buddy, OH NO!!!! YOU"RE WORSE THAN DICK CHENEY"S LESBIAN DAUGHTER"S IRON DILDO!!!!!

Please...[/quote]
Wow, I figured Dick with all his stolen money could at least buy his carpet-munching daughter a dildo made from titanium alloy. For Christmas, you know.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='772952' date='May 2 2009, 11:30 PM']Wow, I figured Dick with all his stolen money could at least buy his carpet-munching daughter a dildo made from titanium alloy. For Christmas, you know.[/quote]

:lol:

Well played...

Singing about his Sky Buddy...

Hmmmph - thats funny.

:)

It is easy to see the faults of others; we winnow them like chaff. It is hard to see our own; we hide them as a gambler hides a losing draw. But when one keeps dwelling on the faults of others, his own compulsions grow worse, makeing it harder to overcome them.

- Dhammapadda 252 & 253

[quote name='Elflocko' post='772938' date='May 2 2009, 10:56 PM']"Christians" != to people who actually try to live as Christ did (i.e. non-judgmental, loving, accepting, etc.). Those people are very few and far between, sadly.[/quote]

Key word: try. In order to succeed at being like him...one has to follow his lead (and it's quite a bit deeper than the three examples you gave). Those that follow--and there are many more than you estimate--do "try"...and this takes place every moment of every day of their lives. It's a growing process--not something that one instantaeously transforms into because they decide to follow him. I do volunteer work at my church for just those kinds of people. They simultaneously are beat down by the outsiders who call them "fakes and hypocrites" and by those within who judge them as "not really one of us". One thing is for sure...the embodiment of what much of society and the world thinks anyone who follows him should totally be...will never be totally attained while living in this life. The followers seek, knock, and find--but not to its total completeness. So the followers fall short at times. The outsiders mock and judge. Some insiders mock and judge. The growth process continues.

Ben would understand this process. Most would not.

Damn didnt know I was in here with a bunch of Godless Heathens!! :P

Funny how the internet is like liquid courage...Everybodys balls are just a lil bit bigger on here....Everybody attackin my God (yea I know yall think its fake, Christians are stupid blah, blah, blah) Lets hope ur right for ur sake (even though yall wrong) might wanna move this to the dubya forum unless yall wanna start
talkin football again.

[quote name='Mortgage_Man_X' post='772733' date='May 2 2009, 12:07 PM'][b][color="#FF8C00"][color="#FF0000"]First off, even though I don't share the same faith as Utecht, It AMAZES me that someone would openly mock another man for his.[/color] It's disgusting on a level we haven't seen since the last Dick Cheney Interview.

That being said, I've spent the last few days emailing with one of Ben's reps, Rick Hoganson. Rick was kind enough to send me a press copy of the CD.

I was working on a letter for our Draft party donation to Ndukwe's NuWay foudation late last night, so I popped the CD in while I was working.

Ben has pretty good pipes. Of course, you can tell the production work went into it, but at the same time, I feel that Ben could perform live and not be booed off the stage. Now is he the next Michael W Smith? Not by any means. But if you are of the Christian faith, this CD is quite enjoyable.

Without knowing that is was a religious type album, you could listen to the first sing titled Generation and think it's a pop rock song, similar to "Place in this World" by Michael W Smith.

The short of it is, if Ben decides to walk away from football tomorrow, he's got another career that he's pretty good at. I give it a B+

Marty
BengalsRoar.com
martin.smith@bengalsroar.com[/color] [/b][/quote]

It's the posh thing to do.

Welcome to the site Marty, glad your here my friend.

Archived