Enjoying NBA Basketball more and more...

Magic win!! Nice comeback on the road too. Down by 16 at one point. Lewis hit's the winning
3 pointer with around 14 seconds left. Gutsy call going for the win with the 3 pointer but no way
they would've won in OT with Howard fouled out and on the bench. Of course he shouldn't of
fouled out considering 2 of the fouls called on him were total BS!

[quote name='Randle P McMurphy' post='777831' date='May 21 2009, 07:10 AM']Magic win!! Nice comeback on the road too. Down by 16 at one point. Lewis hit's the winning
3 pointer with around 14 seconds left. Gutsy call going for the win with the 3 pointer but no way
they would've won in OT with Howard fouled out and on the bench. Of course he shouldn't of
fouled out considering 2 of the fouls called on him were total BS![/quote]

drove my ass up to cleveland this morning, posting from hotel all day today.. going to the game tomorrow, back home sat morning... woohoooooo

Shaquille O'Neal isn't a great basketball player. He's an extremely rare combination of height and strength. Basketball players know how to dribble, drive and shoot jump shots. OK, Shaq is a center you say. I think Hakeem in his prime was waaaaaay better than Shaq. All Shaq does is butt-force his guy into the lane and turn around and dunk. Yay. What mad skilllz.

Most overrated center ever. He scores because there's no way to stop his body mass from moving towards the basket, not because he's good.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='778049' date='May 21 2009, 07:30 PM']Shaquille O'Neal isn't a great basketball player. He's an extremely rare combination of height and strength. Basketball players know how to dribble, drive and shoot jump shots. OK, Shaq is a center you say. I think Hakeem in his prime was waaaaaay better than Shaq. All Shaq does is butt-force his guy into the lane and turn around and dunk. Yay. What mad skilllz.

Most overrated center ever. He scores because there's no way to stop his body mass from moving towards the basket, not because he's good.[/quote]

This argument is tired. There have been lots of big guys in the NBA. There have been lots of strong guys in the NBA. Shaq didn't last this long simply because he is big and strong. You are foolish if you really believe this.

I can't believe you and Bengals Migration act as if Shaq has done nothing in the league. He is one of the top 50 NBA players ever. Period. I have no bias when I say this. I have no favorite team. No favorite player. Simply calling it like I see it.

For chrissake, hit up youtube and look for some Shaq highlights. He has beautiful footwork, great quickness, and loads of agility. He is an unbelievably underrated passer and yes, has decent ball handling skills. The very first Shaq highlight film I found has highlights of him bringing the ball up the court and dribbling.

You guys must be blind. Or stupid. Keep posting, maybe you will reveal which you actually are.

[quote name='sois' post='778086' date='May 22 2009, 12:02 PM']This argument is tired. There have been lots of big guys in the NBA. There have been lots of strong guys in the NBA. Shaq didn't last this long simply because he is big and strong. You are foolish if you really believe this.

I can't believe you and Bengals Migration act as if Shaq has done nothing in the league. He is one of the top 50 NBA players ever. Period. I have no bias when I say this. I have no favorite team. No favorite player. Simply calling it like I see it.

For chrissake, hit up youtube and look for some Shaq highlights. He has beautiful footwork, great quickness, and loads of agility. He is an unbelievably underrated passer and yes, has decent ball handling skills. The very first Shaq highlight film I found has highlights of him bringing the ball up the court and dribbling.

You guys must be blind. Or stupid. Keep posting, maybe you will reveal which you actually are.[/quote]
If you think Shaq came anywhere near maximizing his potential as a player, you're a moron.

[quote name='Bengal Migration' post='778098' date='May 21 2009, 11:02 PM']If you think Shaq came anywhere near maximizing his potential as a player, you're a moron.[/quote]

I didn't say that. I said he was awesome and worked hard. Did he work like a maniac like Kobe and MJ? No, but he didn't turn into a fat slob and Jeremi Johnson'ed his way out of the league. He came in mildly out of shape SOME seasons and always busted his ass getting in great shape by the playoffs.

He is a sure fire hall of famer, what else do you want from the guy? Are you offended that he didn't stay at the gym 24 hours a day? You are going to hold it against a guy that has access to millions of dollars, unimaginable worldwide fame, a few championships in the bag and tons of natural athleticism? Hell, with that kind of success, you should be praising him for staying as focused as he did. Money and fame destroy many careers. It didn't hurt Shaq very much, except in your eyes.

I guess 25/11/3 a game for 18 years isn't good enough for you.

[quote name='sois' post='778176' date='May 22 2009, 11:50 PM']I didn't say that. I said he was awesome and worked hard. [b]Did he work like a maniac like Kobe and MJ?[/b] No, but he didn't turn into a fat slob and Jeremi Johnson'ed his way out of the league. He came in mildly out of shape SOME seasons and always busted his ass getting in great shape by the playoffs.

He is a sure fire hall of famer, what else do you want from the guy? Are you offended that he didn't stay at the gym 24 hours a day? You are going to hold it against a guy that has access to millions of dollars, unimaginable worldwide fame, a few championships in the bag and tons of natural athleticism? Hell, with that kind of success, you should be praising him for staying as focused as he did. Money and fame destroy many careers. It didn't hurt Shaq very much, except in your eyes.

I guess 25/11/3 a game for 18 years isn't good enough for you.[/quote]
Then maybe you should have actually read what I'd posted before calling me out.
[quote]Give me the old days of Dr. J, MJ, Sir Charles, Magic, Kareem, Bird, etc. Guys who busted their asses to get the most out of their abilities. The young'ns rarely seem to play with that kind of desire any more. Guess it's hard to motivate a guy who's already got more money than he can spend at the age of 22.[/quote]

I was pretty clear as to the standard I was holding Shaq to.

And listing Jeremi as an example? Could you have set the bar lower? Not if you wanted fat-ass Shaq to get over it most offseasons. He came in 30-40 pounds overweight most years, and spent the regular season playing himself back into shape. And if you're being objective, you know this.

I'd say Shaq put forth no more than average effort, and therefore, in my eyes, he deserves no more than average praise. I don't care about the fucking numbers. My mom could have put up those number in that body. He underachieved for his entire career. Just like a lot of the other young millionaires that have ruined the game for me.

If you're satisfied with Shaq's level of play, good for you. Be a fan.

I'm underwhelmed. Just as I'm underwhelmed with the NBA as a whole.

[quote name='Bengal Migration' post='778184' date='May 22 2009, 10:35 AM']Then maybe you should have actually read what I'd posted before calling me out.

I was pretty clear as to the standard I was holding Shaq to.

And listing Jeremi as an example? Could you have set the bar lower? Not if you wanted fat-ass Shaq to get over it most offseasons. He came in 30-40 pounds overweight most years, and spent the regular season playing himself back into shape. And if you're being objective, you know this.

I'd say Shaq put forth no more than average effort, and therefore, in my eyes, he deserves no more than average praise. I don't care about the fucking numbers. My mom could have put up those number in that body. He underachieved for his entire career. Just like a lot of the other young millionaires that have ruined the game for me.

If you're satisfied with Shaq's level of play, good for you. Be a fan.

I'm underwhelmed. Just as I'm underwhelmed with the NBA as a whole.[/quote]

You set everyone up for failure by comparing them to the top 5 players in NBA history. What is the point of that?
He didn't come in 30-40 lbs overweight MOST years, you're making shit up.

In my eyes, Shaq worked hard, developed as a player throughout his entire career. You act like he is the only 7 foot player in NBA history.

I sure hope you don't hold everyone in your life to such high standards. You're going to be very disappointed in life. How the hell are you even a Bengals fan if you don't enjoy watching anything but world class, greatest-of-all-time type athletes?

PS: You wax poetic about Barkley and Kareem, both of whom were known to have dubious work ethic. What a hypocrite.
PS Again: You bash Shaq for being bigger than everyone, yet you fawn over Kareem. Wasn't he the only guy who could even dunk when he went to college? Real athletic era he played in huh?

[quote name='sois' post='778192' date='May 23 2009, 01:01 AM']You set everyone up for failure by comparing them to the top 5 players in NBA history. What is the point of that?
He didn't come in 30-40 lbs overweight MOST years, you're making shit up.

In my eyes, Shaq worked hard, developed as a player throughout his entire career. You act like he is the only 7 foot player in NBA history.

I sure hope you don't hold everyone in your life to such high standards. You're going to be very disappointed in life. How the hell are you even a Bengals fan if you don't enjoy watching anything but world class, greatest-of-all-time type athletes?

PS. You wax poetic about Barkley and Kareem, both of whom were known to have dubious work ethic. What a hypocrite.[/quote]
:lol:

Name me another 6'4" (had to edit his height, I was off an inch) power forward who made the HOF besides Barkely. Please.

Who bitched about Kareem? That guy in the kid's dad in the movie Airplane? :P

And Shaq was a fat ass every damn year. YOU're making shit up. He regularly used the regular season to get into playing shape.

And it's not just about his height. It's his mass, strength, and agility. The guy could have re-written the record books from top to bottom. Instead, he made up stupid nicknames for himself, and shot < 50% from the FT line.

He could have done better than that shooting granny style, for fucks sake.

If you choose to heap praise upon lazy fucks who underachieve, good for you. I do set my sights a bit higher than that.

[quote name='Bengal Migration' post='778195' date='May 22 2009, 11:10 AM']:lol:

Name me another 6'4" (had to edit his height, I was off an inch) power forward who made the HOF besides Barkely. Please.[/quote]

So he gets extra credit because he is short? Muggsy Bogues must be the GOAT to you.

[quote]Who bitched about Kareem? That guy in the kid's dad in the movie Airplane? :P[/quote]

You said you longed for the days of Kareem. That guy was known to half ass it through the regular season.

[quote]And Shaq was a fat ass every damn year. YOU're making shit up. He regularly used the regular season to get into playing shape.[/quote]

Bullshit. Go look at pictures. What the hell do you define as fat? Is anyone bigger than Kevin Durant fat?

[quote]And it's not just about his height. It's his mass, strength, and agility. The guy could have re-written the record books from top to bottom.[/quote]

L OUT L!!! Yeah, he sucks. What a dumbass argument. Might as well argue MJ sucks if you discount his killer instinct and leaping ability.

Also, who cares about the record books? 4 championships is what it's all about.

[quote]Instead, he made up stupid nicknames for himself, and shot < 50% from the FT line.
He could have done better than that shooting granny style, for fucks sake.
If you choose to heap praise upon lazy fucks who underachieve, good for you. I do set my sights a bit higher than that.[/quote]

I think I personally became exhausted just hearing all of the stories about how hard Shaq was working on his free throws. How the hell can you call him lazy? He took the criticism in stride and worked with many free throw gurus to get better.

Plus lots of big men suck at free throws. Do you think Dwight Howard sucks because he can't shoot free throws? Come on.

Most importantly, I like Shaq cause he is never in trouble. He doesn't get arrested. He doesn't get DUI's. He seems like a nice guy to me. Yeah that counts for me. That is why I don't like Kobe. That is why Barkley breaks my heart. That is why I despise Bird and Malone.

Shaq's first season in the league, he shot 59% from the line. His career average is 53%, including a gem of a season where he shot just over 42% from this stripe.

Man, was he ever working hard to improve. :rolleyes:

He sure did overachieve at not getting arrested, though. That's something to be proud of. :mellow:

Damn, is the offseason too quiet and too long when I can waste this much time on this ridiculous topic... :D

[quote name='Bengal Migration' post='778260' date='May 22 2009, 04:27 PM']Shaq's first season in the league, he shot 59% from the line. His career average is 53%, including a gem of a season where he shot just over 42% from this stripe.

Man, was he ever working hard to improve. :rolleyes:[/quote]

You can't improve at everything. I'm sure there are things you have tried and failed at.

[quote]He sure did overachieve at not getting arrested, though. That's something to be proud of. :mellow:[/quote]

It is. It really is. I'm glad Shaq isn't a big douche like many players in the league.

[quote]Damn, is the offseason too quiet and too long when I can waste this much time on this ridiculous topic... :D[/quote]

The only thing ridiculous is you guys claiming Shaq, one of the top players in NBA history, sucks.

[quote name='sois' post='778272' date='May 23 2009, 08:10 AM']You can't improve at everything. I'm sure there are things you have tried and failed at.

It is. It really is. I'm glad Shaq isn't a big douche like many players in the league.

The only thing ridiculous is you guys claiming Shaq, one of the top players in NBA history, sucks.[/quote]
You really should learn reading comprehension. I don't believe the word "sucks" has been used. In fact, I'm a Laker fan who rooted for Shaq for the better part of his career. So I've watched him plenty to know of what I speak.

He underachieved. Period. Got fat and lazy. Was unmotivated to do jack shit in the off-season and regular season, which he used as an 82-game training camp. He simply would try to turn it on in the playoffs (generally with success). If he'd worked at his game at all, he'd have been the greatest ever. Instead, he's a perfect example of why I don't give two shits about the NBA.

BTW, I'm so far beyond done with this topic, it's not even funny.

[quote name='Bengal Migration' post='778273' date='May 22 2009, 06:51 PM']You really should learn reading comprehension. I don't believe the word "sucks" has been used. In fact, I'm a Laker fan who rooted for Shaq for the better part of his career. So I've watched him plenty to know of what I speak.

He underachieved. Period. Got fat and lazy. Was unmotivated to do jack shit in the off-season and regular season, which he used as an 82-game training camp. He simply would try to turn it on in the playoffs (generally with success). If he'd worked at his game at all, he'd have been the greatest ever. Instead, he's a perfect example of why I don't give two shits about the NBA.

BTW, I'm so far beyond done with this topic, it's not even funny.[/quote]
You're a Laker fan? Jesus. Well, I guess we can't be alike in [i]everything[/i].

If I had to pick an NBA team to root for I guess it would be the Pistons. They play defense...and have Tayshaun Prince.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='778274' date='May 23 2009, 08:56 AM']You're a Laker fan? Jesus. Well, I guess we can't be alike in [i]everything[/i].

If I had to pick an NBA team to root for I guess it would be the Pistons. They play defense...and have Tayshaun Prince.[/quote]
One of the first single games I can remember was the game where Magic played all 5 positions on the floor (as a rookie?) in the playoffs. I've followed them as much as anyone after that moment.

I've tended to root for Cleveland a bit (I loved those Mark Price teams that could never get past MJ) and the 76ers (Dr.J and then Sir Charles), at least until Iverson went there. That was the end of that. Damn good player, but I never got over the BS cloud that followed him *everywhere*.

I think I've thought more about the NBA in the last 24 hours than I had in the last 4 years. ^_^

[quote name='#22' post='776402' date='May 14 2009, 11:07 PM']I love the guy to death, but Chuck Hayes has to be one of the worst starting Centers in the NBA. I guess most of his problems stem from the fact that he's only 6'6".

On a related note, J.J. Redick is the worst guard in the NBA. His assist to turnover ratio is horrendous, and he shoots worse than Chris Lofton in his Senior Year.[/quote]

JJ redick is far from the worst guard in the NBA. He actually even plays pretty good D now.

[quote name='Bengal Migration' post='776982' date='May 18 2009, 03:39 AM']Shaq.

The perfect example of the typical NBAer. Too much money. No desire to actually be worth a damn. He had all of that talent, and refused to learn to use any of it. All he wanted to do was dunk. Could have been the best ever. Instead, he's like a bad parody of what the modern day athlete looks like.

From what I'm reading LeBron was showing some signs of coasting like that, but has changed it around. Maybe he can lead the new generation of players into wanting to be great, and not just millionaires.

Give me the old days of Dr. J, MJ, Sir Charles, Magic, Kareem, Bird, etc. Guys who busted their asses to get the most out of their abilities. The young'ns rarely seem to play with that kind of desire any more. Guess it's hard to motivate a guy who's already got more money than he can spend at the age of 22.[/quote]

Kareem NEVER busted his ass haha.

Also Lebron shows no signs of coasting. Lebron shows all signs of flying right by jordan for the best ever and he doesnt even have as good of players around him as jordan did or they would pretty much never lose.

Archived