Bengals Hard Knocks commercial

[quote name='Oldcat' post='777898' date='May 21 2009, 01:40 PM']I think his trouble really started when TJ began to rival him as the best WR on the team. That offseason is when he stopped with the fun dances and started with the baby TO and contract crap.[/quote]

I think he's an emotional guy who got his feelings hurt when Marvin threw him under the bus & the local media jumped his shit. Right or wrong, it seems like that's when he became disgruntled. TJ & him are buddies & I don't think that upset him in the least. He's been near as bad as TO, either. He hasn't called Carson gay or left practice to go do sit ups on his front poarch...... yet.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='777901' date='May 21 2009, 01:54 PM']You are a joke.

I don't care about Chad trying to talk his way off the team. Lot's of good players have done that (Owens, Faneca, Urlacher, Asante Samuel, etc etc). BUt [b]when Chad refused to have ankle surgery until late summer last year so that he wouldn't be 100% by training camp he crossed a line.[/b] he wassn't just talking then. he was doing things to intentionally make the Bengals a weaker team.

Then he got suspended for the Pittsburgh game last year. Why do all you Chad lovers just erase that from your memory?

If any of the players you mentioned do the same things that Chad has then, yes, I will want them off the team. But to continue to support Chad after he has attempted to sabatoge the team is indefensible.

Kobe Bryant said worse things about his team than Chad ever did about the Bengals, but when he saw that he was stuck with the Lakers he did every thing he could to help the team win. When Chad saw that he was not leaving the Bengals he did things to try and hurt the team. That is unforgivable.[/quote]

[b]Super good point[/b] & I hear where you're coming from. We just interpret things differently.

I don't view Chad's surgery (or not) as him trying to sabotage the team. I think he was hiding the fact he needed surgery in hopes that it wouldn't hurt his ability to get traded & it backfired on him & the team. I also think he could've thrown in the towel last year before the season even started after he tore his labrum in the preseason, but he didn't. He played. I think that says a lot about his willingness to compete & play.

The game against the Steelers was shocking to me, sure. But Chad didn't duck it. He did interviews, explained his mistake, & didn't come across as pissed about it as if the coaches were wrong. He didn't rant or rave or throw a fit. Looking thorough the timeline of his issues, interviews, play, etc. I just don't believe Chad's the type of person or athlete or as bad a guy as people like to make him out to be. It just doesn't all add up to me in that way.

[quote name='mroby85' post='777902' date='May 21 2009, 01:56 PM']Yes Really! Btw, do you not remember halftime of the playoff game? was that not a ruckus? How about him pouting one game when they were beating cleveland, but hims didn't have enough catches :(
How about all the crap on NFL network with TJ recently saying Chad calling him crying, saying everyone else gets out and he doesn't...
How about not showing up to any OTA's to show he wants to get better?
You think Carson Palmer is just one of those bitter fans like us? because he appears to be sick of Chad's crap too.[/quote]

No, I don't consider what happened during the playoff game 3 years ago in the playoffs of 2006 to be an omen as to him wanting off the team during the offseason of 2008. Be upset at him for ‘06, fine, but to say it's the same kind of noise he was talking in '08 doesn't make sense to me.

I don't recall the stuff with the Browns game.

I also don't care about TJ bitching on NFL network & then dragging Chad's name out in it. That's on TJ. Hate on TJ for it.

Showing up to OTA's? he hasn't done OTA's for quite awhile. Neither has TJ (accept for this year when it's closer to his home & he's with a new team).

I don't have a problem with Carson calling Chad out at all. He's right to do so. He's the quarterback & is there working hard coming off an injury. He said he hasn't spoken to Chad this offseason. So, maybe instead of calling Chad out in an interview, he could also try to call him on the phone? Maybe he has? Who knows about their dynamic? I don't, nor am I going to read a few articles about it & take everything word for word. In the end, I'm not going to sit around stewing over it & hating on (IMO) the best WR in the Bengals history when I think he still has a lot left in the tank to give the team. Let’s see what happens when Chad shows up at camp.

I will say this: If he shows up & all of a sudden has to have shoulder surgery, count me in with the haters!

Chad WAS a great player, I liked him, but you know as well as I do he didn't deserve his last pro bowl, and didn't go last year, which makes 2 years now. It's not his play that has made me not like him anyway, it's his annoying don't care about the team attitude. That's why I don't like him anymore.

[quote name='mroby85' post='777955' date='May 21 2009, 04:00 PM']Chad WAS a great player, I liked him, but you know as well as I do he didn't deserve his last pro bowl, and didn't go last year, which makes 2 years now. It's not his play that has made me not like him anyway, it's his annoying don't care about the team attitude. That's why I don't like him anymore.[/quote]

2007 was his arguably best season here. I say arguably because it was just as great as all the other ones.

Seriously, please check it out.....

[url="http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JohnCh01.htm"]http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JohnCh01.htm[/url]

[quote name='WhoDeyBabe' post='777912' date='May 21 2009, 02:24 PM']So what if Carson is tired of Chad? Palmer likely won't make it through the season anyway...he's proven you can't count on him to stay healthy. As far as Carson's opinion on Chad - don't know if that's the case or not...he's just trying to build the confidence of the other WRs in camp who have yet to accomplish anything. Nothing wrong with that.

And while Carson was sitting on the bench all last year with a sore elbow, Chad was playing with a dislocated shoulder and a bum ankle every damn week for a horrible offense that had no chance to do anything when he easily could have sat out.[/quote]

This is about as dumb of a post as I have ever seen. Chad "I make any quaterback better" Noshowcinco ran shitty routes, dropped passes, and flat out dissapeared from just about every game he played in last year. Where was all this greatness? Why the hell does every pass he catches have to be an out route? Why does he fall down two steps after he catches the ball on most plays? Because he is all about "him" and "him" is a big attention whore poon that isn't willing to take a hit.

Don't you think that teams figured that out? Teams figured out that he's either going to run an out or a go and shut those routes down. Why do you think TJ was open underneath all the time? Unless he decides he can go across the middle and not dive at safteys feet as he catches the ball, he isn't worth much in the AFC North. This is especially true if he doesn't run the right routes all the time and drops passes when he does. If he is soooo good and we are sooo much worse off without him then why couldn't he dominate last year? Why does he dissappear in big games? Because defenses have adapted to him and rely on his poon-ness. Our division is full of dicks and you know what dicks do to poons (or maybe you don't?).

[quote name='Palmer9' post='777956' date='May 21 2009, 04:06 PM']2007 was his arguably best season here. I say arguably because it was just as great as all the other ones.

Seriously, please check it out.....

[url="http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JohnCh01.htm"]http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JohnCh01.htm[/url][/quote]

Did you sit through that season or just look at stats at the end of the year? he had a ton of 3rd down drops, caught 3 of his 8 TD's in the last game of the year that really didn't matter against miami, and I believe he had another 3 td game against Tennessee, for the most part he was worthless that season, and only went to the pro bowl because of an injury.

[quote name='mroby85' post='777988' date='May 21 2009, 05:24 PM']Did you sit through that season or just look at stats at the end of the year? he had a ton of 3rd down drops, caught 3 of his 8 TD's in the last game of the year that really didn't matter against miami, and I believe he had another 3 td game against Tennessee, for the most part he was worthless that season, and only went to the pro bowl because of an injury.[/quote]

I watch the games. All receivers drop passes. They're not robots. It happens. And didn't Chad win best hands in the NFL one year?

The actual stats are there to look up with just a few clicks.....

Chad Johnson TD's in 2007
Ravens - 1
Browns - 2
Titans - 3
Dolphins - 2

He also contributed 1440 yards (worthless yards, right?) & 93 "worthless" catches. His probowl stats are in line with the other players from the AFC. Randy Moss being the one player who blew everyone away with 23 TDs. In fact, compared to the NFC guys, Chad's stats are in line with or better than theirs as well.

That year (2007) Chad Johnson ranked:
- 3rd among all WR in receiving yards (1440)
- 6th in receiving yards per game (90.0)
- 9th in yard from scrimmage (1487). He was one of only three WR on the list.

All while having another WR on the field who had a career year with big numbers, TJ. TJ caught 12 TDs, had really good yardage, & 112 receptions. I contend that playing opposite Chad had tons to do with TJ's success... but we'll have to wait until after this year to prove it now that TJ's on another team.

Against the 6 top 15 defenses the Bengals played that year, Chad had 428 yards (71.3 per game), 43 catches (7.2 per game), & 3 touchdowns.
You're right, though, the 3 TD's all came against the Titans. But the Titans D was ranked 8th in the league that year. It's not like the better teams in the league were consistently shutting him down.

[quote name='Palmer9' post='777996' date='May 21 2009, 06:16 PM']I watch the games. All receivers drop passes. They're not robots. It happens. And didn't Chad win best hands in the NFL one year?

The actual stats are there to look up with just a few clicks.....

Chad Johnson TD's in 2007
Ravens - 1
Browns - 2
Titans - 3
Dolphins - 2

He also contributed 1440 yards (worthless yards, right?) & 93 "worthless" catches. His probowl stats are in line with the other players from the AFC. Randy Moss being the one player who blew everyone away with 23 TDs. In fact, compared to the NFC guys, Chad's stats are in line with or better than theirs as well.

That year (2007) Chad Johnson ranked:
- 3rd among all WR in receiving yards (1440)
- 6th in receiving yards per game (90.0)
- 9th in yard from scrimmage (1487). He was one of only three WR on the list.

All while having another WR on the field who had a career year with big numbers, TJ. TJ caught 12 TDs, had really good yardage, & 112 receptions. I contend that playing opposite Chad had tons to do with TJ's success... but we'll have to wait until after this year to prove it now that TJ's on another team.

Against the 6 top 15 defenses the Bengals played that year, Chad had 428 yards (71.3 per game), 43 catches (7.2 per game), & 3 touchdowns.
You're right, though, the 3 TD's all came against the Titans. But the Titans D was ranked 8th in the league that year. It's not like the better teams in the league were consistently shutting him down.[/quote]

So do you truly think you can take away two games from a gamebreaker receiver, that leaves him with 3 TD's on the year?
I guess since receivers aren't robots it's okay to drop a lot of 3rd down conversion passes?
Also, it's not fair to look at this year with TJ to be honest no matter how it goes, because the true factor is Carson Palmer Vs. Matt Hasselback, not as much to do with Chad imo. Again, i'm not saying I didn't like Chad, I did, but i'm very sick of his act, and just ready for him to be gone.

[quote name='mroby85' post='778010' date='May 21 2009, 06:40 PM']So do you truly think you can take away two games from a gamebreaker receiver, that leaves him with 3 TD's on the year?[/quote]

Why would you take away any of his games? Because you have to in order to discredit his season & stats. That's not going to fly. He played in those games & to just dismiss them to prove your point shows you're hell bent on trying to rationalize why he isn't (in your opinion) a good player. They play 16 games... count 16 f'ing games.

Lets put things in another perspective - which, at this point, I'm starting to believe is pointless. Just incase someone else is reading who's not already bias...

- In that same year, 2007, another Prowbowl receiver, Larry Fitzgerald, scored 6 of his 10 touchdowns in 3 games (that means 60% of his touchdowns came in 25% of his schedule). Those 3 teams were:

Lions - Caught 2 / D Ranked 32nd (last in NFL)
49ers - Caught 2 / D Ranked 20th
Rams - Caught 2 / D Ranked 31st 92nd to last in NFL)

Does this make Larry Fitzgerald "worthless" as well? Of course not. You just don't hate Larry Fitzgerald like you do Chad Johnson, which is my whole point!

[quote name='mroby85' post='778010' date='May 21 2009, 06:40 PM']I guess since receivers aren't robots it's okay to drop a lot of 3rd down conversion passes?
Also, it's not fair to look at this year with TJ to be honest no matter how it goes, because the true factor is Carson Palmer Vs. Matt Hasselback, not as much to do with Chad imo. Again, i'm not saying I didn't like Chad, I did, but i'm very sick of his act, and just ready for him to be gone.[/quote]

Define "a lot" of 3rd down passes? It's tough for me to judge this without some sort of watermark to compare it to.

Seahawks/Bengals is certainly a fair comparison (if not slanted in TJ's favor). Last year the Bengals offensive unit was dead last in the league. The Seahawks were 25th. They also both finished the season with similar records winning only 4 games.

Also, in 2007 (both players last healthy "normal" year) they each ranked in the top 10 NFL in most passing statistics. Accept Hasselbeck had a higher QB rating & threw less picks. Other than that, fairly close stats. I'd say it's an incredibly close scenario. TJ will be playing against much weaker teams in the NFCW then Chad will in the AFCN. I still would bet that, barring either of them or their QBs having major injuries, Chad has a better season & TJ drops off.

I totally get that a lot of fans hate Chad Johnson for his personality. I don't fault or really disagree with anyone on that. That's an individual's personal opinion. But, to let that carry over into discrediting him as a WR (which can be analyzed with stats & facts) isn't right.

[quote name='JC' post='778014' date='May 21 2009, 07:17 PM']Hopefully he doesn't pull the surgery trick with his shoulder when camp comes around..

I wouldn't put it out of the question though.[/quote]

You're not kidding, man. That would be terrible!

[quote name='Palmer9' post='778015' date='May 21 2009, 07:17 PM']Define "a lot" of 3rd down passes? It's tough for me to judge this without some sort of watermark to compare it to.

Seahawks/Bengals is certainly a fair comparison (if not slanted in TJ's favor). Last year the Bengals offensive unit was dead last in the league. The Seahawks were 25th. They also both finished the season with similar records winning only 4 games.

Also, in 2007 (both players last healthy "normal" year) they each ranked in the top 10 NFL in most passing statistics. Accept Hasselbeck had a higher QB rating & threw less picks. Other than that, fairly close stats. I'd say it's an incredibly close scenario. TJ will be playing against much weaker teams in the NFCW then Chad will in the AFCN. I still would bet that, barring either of them or their QBs having major injuries, Chad has a better season & TJ drops off.

I totally get that a lot of fans hate Chad Johnson for his personality. I don't fault or really disagree with anyone on that. That's an individual's personal opinion. But, to let that carry over into discrediting him as a WR (which can be analyzed with stats & facts) isn't right.[/quote]

I see your point, I really do, and I'm not trying to discredit him as a player he's had some really good years, which I think are behind him, at least as a Bengal.. What i'm really concerned about is how much helps the team, and I don't really think he does that. Larry FItzgerald has also improved since 2007, he was good in 2007 and Chad was too, but not the top tier WR he's considered to be which is what i'm talking about. Finally The Bengals offensive unit was last because they were missing Palmer, you know that as well as I do. I think you make valid points, i'm not saying you don't, but I don't like Chad Johnson, and I think he's gone downhill as a wide receiver mainly because of his lack of desire to be great. Thats my opinion, and you're probably right about me not changing it. I probably am biased because i'm sick of his act, and the crap he's said about the team that we all root for, it's a slap in the face when you root for a guy and drop a lot of $ on his stuff etc.

[quote name='mroby85' post='778022' date='May 21 2009, 07:45 PM']I see your point, I really do, and I'm not trying to discredit him as a player he's had some really good years, which I think are behind him, at least as a Bengal.. What i'm really concerned about is how much helps the team, and I don't really think he does that. Larry FItzgerald has also improved since 2007, he was good in 2007 and Chad was too, but not the top tier WR he's considered to be which is what i'm talking about. Finally The Bengals offensive unit was last because they were missing Palmer, you know that as well as I do. I think you make valid points, i'm not saying you don't, but I don't like Chad Johnson, and I think he's gone downhill as a wide receiver mainly because of his lack of desire to be great. Thats my opinion, and you're probably right about me not changing it. I probably am biased because i'm sick of his act, and the crap he's said about the team that we all root for, it's a slap in the face when you root for a guy and drop a lot of $ on his stuff etc.[/quote]

No worries, friend. I wasn't trying to bang on you for the reasons you stated on why don't like him. You have valid, legitimate points as to why you feel betrayed or let down by his attitude (off & sometimes on the field). I, like you, get frustrated as well. Also like you, I want Chad to help the Bengals for as long as he can. If that's on the field, great! If it's off (in a trade or something like addition by subtraction) that's great too! I realize that the Bengals will be here long after Chad is gone & that's who I'm pulling for... the team! It just irks me when fans bash on Chad for his play (which has been top tier in the league) when they really have the issues with his person.

As far as last year goes, Chad was hurt in preseason much worse then was let on. Fitzpatrick being unable to get the ball down field, bad OLine, ankle surgery, whatever. Look, it was a perfect storm for Chad to have a bad year & he was part of creating that.

[quote name='WhoDeyBabe' post='777823' date='May 21 2009, 01:25 AM']Yep, and soon you and all your kind will be trying to run Keith Rivers, Rey Maualuga, Andrew Whitworth, and lord knows who else out of town, calling them cancers. It is so predictable.[/quote]
Except for your glaring omission that the guys you mention...wait for it...AREN'T douchebags! What a revelation! You cannot possibly believe the shit you spew.

[quote name='Palmer9' post='777806' date='May 20 2009, 11:57 PM']Go, these statements you made are complete bullshit. You hate Chad, fine, but to drop this kind of poop onto your keyboard is... I don't even have a word for it.

Chad’s goofed off in practice & training camp for the past three years? Doesn’t keep pushing himself? Really? Why are there articles written about how they can’t get him to stop taking reps? About how he has to be limited in practice because he wants to do reps even with the 3rd team? He works his ass off every year. He has to to be that good. If anything, his ego & the image he made for himself to live up to won’t let him take a break & stop working.

I’ve never read about or heard about Chad being lazy. He’s always referred to as one of the hardest workers on the team.

Can’t run a route properly? That’s been one of his strengths. Are there instances he ran the wrong route or a route poorly? Sure. But there are those times with every WR. LOLOLOLOL @ you bashing Chad “diving all over” for passes. If he didn’t, you’d be bitching that he doesn’t. Why? Because you don’t like his personality. He catches passes in stride just fine. You talk as though he’s just a herky jerky mess out on the field. LOL at Henry being your poster boy for effort & smooth catches. Wasn’t it Henry’s face who Carson (of all people) had to get into after he gave up on a jump ball against Baltimore? That kind of stuff happens throughout the season to every team.

We’ll see this year if he’s helped make any teammates better. I bet your boy, Housh, crashes & burns in Seattle without Chad there to carry him.

By the way, since you mentioned fumbles…..
Housh has a career 9 fumbles in 16 less games (basically a season)
Chad has 5[/quote]
So what about 2008? We're expected to forget his "Superbowl Tour" of publicly whining to any and all media outlets that would lend him an ear that he felt unwanted, underused, underpaid and whatever else his pea-brain (and agent) could concoct as reasons why he hated it here? He just wanted to win, right?
Get the fuck outta here.

And what about when he DID finally show up for mandatories last year, remember that? "Oh yeah, I've got bone spurs, I can't practice, I need an operation". The operation he was advised to get in the offseason, he put it off...on purpose, so he'd have an excuse to not practice yet still get paid.

Oh yeah, boo-hoo, my supposedly torn labrum. Get that shit operated on too, Chad, you cocksucker.

Chad swings his dick around, has at least a few illegitimate kids with a few different women (a mark of manhood for a gangsta, to be sure), and likes to spend his money. I bet he's damn near broke. Or at least thinks he is.

I really don't care what he thinks. He's under contract and should play, and play hard. He didn't do shit last year, and from watching the games I can tell you...it wasn't just because Fitzpatrick was the QB. Chad just meandered around out there like a ship without a rudder. He absolutely loafed through the season and blamed his shoulder like the big fat pussy that he is. What a fucking wimp.

Draw your own conclusions, but that's what I saw, and there really isn't any denying his dickheaded, egomaniacal behavior.

The Bengals biggest mistake in this draft was not trading him...even a fifth rounder would have been nice.

Someone says Chad has goofed off for 3 years then points to Chris Henry as some light of hope.

I'm sorry, it's not hard to tell who's full of shit.

Henry, he's the textbook definition of great person, hardworker, and good attitude. :rolleyes:

Maybe Chad should just get suspended for half a season, return half assed but catch a 70 yard pass to have people praise his talent. Bizarro world.

[quote name='scharm' post='778038' date='May 21 2009, 07:45 PM']Someone says Chad has goofed off for 3 years then points to Chris Henry as some light of hope.

I'm sorry, it's not hard to tell who's full of shit.

Henry, he's the textbook definition of great person, hardworker, and good attitude. :rolleyes:

Maybe Chad should just get suspended for half a season, return half assed but catch a 70 yard pass to have people praise his talent. Bizarro world.[/quote]

the two players have switched placed.. one went from a juvenile misbehaving assclown to a mature, hard working great athlete.. and one went from a hard working well respected athlete to a self serving non factor assclown out for nothing but money..

how does this confuse you?

theres no doubt both are extremely skilled in many areas of the game....one had some great years...a few years ago... one is poised to do so now, promoted by a pro bowl QB, with nothing to gain by backing such a player with such a past.

seems pretty simple.

me, a head coach, oc, nfl owner and pro bowl QB agree...

[quote name='mroby85' post='777955' date='May 21 2009, 04:00 PM']Chad WAS a great player, I liked him, but you know as well as I do he didn't deserve his last pro bowl, and didn't go last year, which makes 2 years now. It's not his play that has made me not like him anyway, it's his annoying don't care about the team attitude. That's why I don't like him anymore.[/quote]

uh, for half the season he was on pace to reach Jerry Rice's single season record.

If you are a bengal and get a pro bowl you deserve it and most of the time it's a season or two overdue. Nobody is handing out free passes to the pro bowl for bengal players in a 7-9 season.

[quote name='scharm' post='778041' date='May 21 2009, 07:53 PM']uh, for half the season he was on pace to reach Jerry Rice's single season record.

If you are a bengal and get a pro bowl you deserve it and most of the time it's a season or two overdue. Nobody is handing out free passes to the pro bowl for bengal players in a 7-9 season.[/quote]

unless your really really popular player... dont the coaches and players count for 2/3 the votes in the popularity contest?? i mean pro bowl?

every year there are players who dont deserve it.. chad had equal pro bowl season to pro bowls, but that happened years ago.. and he went WAY downhill since then.. over the edge to say the least.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='778040' date='May 21 2009, 08:52 PM']the two players have switched placed.. one went from a juvenile misbehaving assclown to a mature, hard working great athlete.. and one went from a hard working well respected athlete to a self serving non factor assclown out for nothing but money..

how does this confuse you?

theres no doubt both are extremely skilled in many areas of the game....one had some great years...a few years ago... one is poised to do so now, promoted by a pro bowl QB, with nothing to gain by backing such a player with such a past.

seems pretty simple.

me, a head coach, oc, nfl owner and pro bowl QB agree...[/quote]

I guess I'm confused because Chris hasn't done anything you've claimed.

He worked so hard the coaches had him in the game plan so much that he finished with 19 catches in 12 games.

I'm not sure what they agree on. He hasn't played, He doesn't get the ball, the owner cut him once already, Chad is on the roster despite your inside information of trade offers. So yeah, I'm confused. Confused about your bullshit and your need to spew it.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='778043' date='May 21 2009, 09:02 PM']unless your really really popular player... dont the coaches and players count for 2/3 the votes in the popularity contest?? i mean pro bowl?

every year there are players who dont deserve it.. chad had equal pro bowl season to pro bowls, but that happened years ago.. and he went WAY downhill since then.. over the edge to say the least.[/quote]

Say what you will. Being 3rd in the NFL in yardage is Pro Bowl worthy. He was sooooo down hill only 2 players had more yards and his total from 2007 was better than what he led the league with in 2006.

Is Chris Henry ever going to do that? I doubt it.

[quote name='scharm' post='778047' date='May 21 2009, 08:12 PM']Say what you will. Being 3rd in the NFL in yardage is Pro Bowl worthy. He was sooooo down hill only 2 players had more yards and his total from 2007 was better than what he led the league with in 2006.

Is Chris Henry ever going to do that? I doubt it.[/quote]
A wideout with those kind of yardage numbers should at LEAST have double digit touchdowns. His inability to score underscores (hehe) his unwillingness to catch balls over the middle and make a play after the catch. Chad's YAC is not good, because he is generally falling into the fetal position after making a catch (many of which are amazing, I'll grant you).

I'll also agree that anyone pointing towards Chris Henry at this stage of the game as Chad's replacement are nuts. He may be poised to have a great year, and I certainly hope so, but history is not on his side. I would argue that it is Coles that will have a terrific year with Carson at the helm. Henry will likely contribute quite a bit, but there is no way he's ready to be the #1 wideout. I'd sure like to be wrong on that. I'm rooting for the guy to get his shit together on the field and put together a monster season. I just don't see it.

Archived