Latest Steelers cheap shot artist?

[quote]Scaife unhappy with Harrison hit

Posted by Mike Florio on September 11, 2009 8:49 AM ET
Count Titans tight end Bo Scaife among the NFL players who agree with Maurice Jones-Drew's recent tirade regarding low hits.

Of course, Scaife might not have cared much about the issue before Thursday night. But after he took a low hit on Thursday night from Steelers linebacker James Harrison, Scaife is singing a different tune.

"He dove at my leg," Scaife said, per the Tennessean. "It was a cheap shot."

At first, we thought Scaife was whining over a clean tackle that left him "badly limping" in the locker room. But after re-reviewing the play, we see his point.

Scaife ran a short out route to the left side of the field. Harrison, after disrupting slot receiver Justin Gage's pattern with a quick bump, covered the short zone into which Scaife hand entered.

As Scaife caught the ball, Harrison assumed full-blown torpedo mode, even though Harrison could have blown up Scaife, who had his back turned while catching the pass, at pad level.

The end result? Harrison went head first into Scaife's lower extremities, clamping onto his left ankle and apparently causing a hyperextension of the knee.

"I have been playing my whole life and no one has ever hit me like that," Scaife said. "So I know when it is real and when it is not real. So it was a cheap shot and I don't care if that gets back to him either.''

Harrison likely doesn't care about what Scaife thinks. It was a clean hit within the letter of the rules. But, still, it wasn't necessary for Harrison to go low in that specific case.

Low hits are a fact of life in football. In some circumstances, however, there's no need to aim for the joints most responsible for the player's ability to earn a living.[/quote]

I dont know if it was a cheap shot or not...but its funny how often these debates are brought up with regards to the steelers compared to other teams. They always find a way to make the questionable hits.

How long before the stealer fans come in to defend him. He could've hit him with a crowbar and the stealer fans would justify it. But, oh, how they whined when Odell hit Jen. Even after the slo-mo showed that Odell was tripped by an OL, the real cheap shot in the play.

The refs "missed" a few calls in that game, as usual.

Perhaps, but I certainly hear "within the rules" or "perfectly legal" a LOT when folks describe hits dished-out by Steeler players. And I give it the same reaction that I do when I hear a defense attorney say similar things about scum-bag clients - if the shot/action wasn't questionable, they'd be talking about that instead of hiding behind the "letter" of the law.

[quote name='Hooky' date='11 September 2009 - 02:23 PM' timestamp='1252689818' post='800742']
How long before the stealer fans come in to defend him. He could've hit him with a crowbar and the stealer fans would justify it. But, oh, how they whined when Odell hit Jen. Even after the slo-mo showed that Odell was tripped by an OL, the real cheap shot in the play.

The refs "missed" a few calls in that game, as usual.
[/quote]
[img]http://www.partiers.com/gobrowns/steelerssuck_comsuperbowlxl_pic8.jpg[/img]

[quote name='AmishBengalFan' date='11 September 2009 - 02:36 PM' timestamp='1252690614' post='800747']
Perhaps, but I certainly hear "within the rules" or "perfectly legal" a LOT when folks describe hits dished-out by Steeler players. And I give it the same reaction that I do when I hear a defense attorney say similar things about scum-bag clients - if the shot/action wasn't questionable, they'd be talking about that instead of hiding behind the "letter" of the law.
[/quote]

Yeah, I don't think that legal and clean are the same thing like stealer fans do.

One of the unfortunate things about living here is that our station that plays US sports shows nothing but highlights of games during commercial breaks. Which means while watching a college football/NBA/NCAA/NASCAR/NFL broadcast, every time the US goes to commercial, I get to watch clips from the NFL or NASCAR. More often than not the NFL.

And more often than not, last years playoffs. So that means AZ and Pissburgh. All game long..

Which means at least 10 times during a given broadcast, I get a full minute clip of Harrision. Shit from the SB, and during the regular season.

Why do I mention this? Because during that clip, a local Pissburgh commentator is doing play-by-play that is praising Harrison for his "patented" move of "going low" for the tackle.

I'm sure it's just a matter of time before his hit on Scaife makes the highlight reel <_<

[quote name='Jeff Blake' date='12 September 2009 - 07:26 AM' timestamp='1252754766' post='800900']
Here's an idea: How about the Bengals (or whoever) start busting their teeth in until their balls shrivel up? That way we can do the "within the rules" bit ourselves while fighting over playoff tickets.
[/quote]
Nah, because when we do it it's a personal foul for unnecessary roughness, and our player(s) would get fined and suspended.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='12 September 2009 - 09:51 AM' timestamp='1252759888' post='800904']
Nah, because when we do it it's a personal foul for unnecessary roughness, and our player(s) would get fined and suspended.
[/quote]

That's the truth of it.

When they play other big-market teams I'm always amazed at the shit that goes on. Last year vs. the Cowboys I think they would've had to draw knives before the refs called a foul.

[quote name='T-Dub' date='12 September 2009 - 08:26 PM' timestamp='1252801571' post='800989']
That's the truth of it.

When they play other big-market teams I'm always amazed at the shit that goes on. Last year vs. the Cowboys I think they would've had to draw knives before the refs called a foul.
[/quote]
Ref's thinking: "But it's the Bengals! There must have been a foul on that play for them to have achieved a first down! They are all criminals, after all!"

**throws flag**

-fin

[quote name='Bunghole' date='12 September 2009 - 09:54 PM' timestamp='1252803280' post='800992']
Ref's thinking: "But it's the Bengals! There must have been a foul on that play for them to have achieved a first down! They are all criminals, after all!"

**throws flag**

-fin
[/quote]

You know I think that does happen a lot, along with make-up calls that just compound an already poorly-officiated game.. But to be fair, it's really human nature and to some extent always going to happen. The successful teams are going to get the close calls.

What really bugs me though is the lack of full-time, well-trained officials. There is no excuse for the league not to have well-compensated, dedicated refs. What kind of money do they make? Somehow I doubt they're pulling down the kind of salary that'd prevent them taking a stuffed briefcase to shave a few points here and there.

Thing of it is, when you look at that and slimy fuckers like Goodell, you have to consider that the NFL itself was largely founded by a bunch of degenerate gamblers & bookies. There's been no "Black Sox" scandal and reform like in baseball to clean up the crooked shit.

I know that when one of my friends started informing me of the over/under for games, all of a sudden the "random" bullshit calls out of nowhere started making a lot more sense.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='12 September 2009 - 09:51 AM' timestamp='1252759888' post='800904']
[/quote]

The perfect example that still has me fuming is the Kaes hit on Reche Caldwell in a pivotal part of the game against New England. You all know what I'm talking about. Clean, but massive shoulder smash that jarred the ball loose and caused an incompletion, but drew a flag from Supreme Bengal fucker, Mike Carey. You may know him from such colossal fuck-ups like the Tampa Bay Justin Smith roughing the passer call. Both plays could've been all over ESPN as hit of the week, but since the bogus penalty was called and it was a Bengal, nothing.

[quote name='T-Dub' date='13 September 2009 - 06:13 AM' timestamp='1252833213' post='801065']

I know that when one of my friends started informing me of the over/under for games, all of a sudden the "random" bullshit calls out of nowhere started making a lot more sense.
[/quote]

Good point. I don't want to sound like Oliver Stone, but when I see some of the calls in any of the major sports that are so unbelievable, even after replay in football, it makes me wonder if something's rotten in Denver. (Yes, it's no accident that I chose that expression today.)

Archived