Bengals widen margin in AFC North today

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' date='23 April 2010 - 07:37 AM' timestamp='1272033433' post='881497']

As far as the argument that the Bengals don't use the tight end, I have to ask is that because of philosophy or lack of option (and attrition? Brat hasn't used the tight end because the Bengals haven't had a pass catching tight end. You can't be father of the year without being a parent.

[/quote]

A combination of both. The team has been able to live with lack of pass catching at TE because of high production at all 3 WR slots with Henry-Chad-TJ. And they have valued the blocking enough to not go get a H back type to improve the situation.

The press conference with Brat and Hayes indicated that they think his blocking now is reasonably good now, and will improve. And that he will be starting more or less from the start, and that they will change things some to use his skills.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='23 April 2010 - 07:48 AM' timestamp='1272034083' post='881507']
I read that the Ravens said they would have traded with the Broncos even
if Dez Bryant was there. They said the Broncos deal was too sweet.
[/quote]

I wouldn't think they would take Bryant at all - they added Boldin and Stallworth already.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='23 April 2010 - 10:30 AM' timestamp='1272033048' post='881488']
I'm indifferent to the pick and but please tell me your kidding? One of Matt Jones or Simpson are not going to be on the team this year, Bryant would easily replace Caldwell as the #3. I recall when we had a decent #3 in Kelly Washington and still drafter a first round talent in Chris Henry despite there being other needs, and that worked out well when Chris was playing.
[/quote]

I wouldn't say any of that at all. Won't be shocked if both Jones and Simpson make the team.

And I don't think rookie Bryant, out of football for a year, automatically beats out a 3rd year Caldwell. By the end of the year maybe, but not to start.

[quote name='The Scales' date='23 April 2010 - 09:10 AM' timestamp='1272031836' post='881472']
[quote name='scharm' date='22 April 2010 - 10:57 PM' timestamp='1271991440' post='881205']

Biggest hole on the team was TE. People can throw any amount Bullshit around it don't change Coffman and Coats with only Kelly on horizon.

The #1 player at his position group for the #1 hole, but it doesn't stop there.

[b]They could have gotten exceptional TE prospects later in the Draft. Kelly. Coffman. Foschi. Coats. Draft Pick (s) [/b]

Gresham isn't a run of the mill TE talent found in the 20s. More like one you find in the 9-15 pick range. Lucky Bengals.

[b][color="#FF0000"]He was projected around the 25th player[/color], so quit sugar coating it clarence. Now Dez Bryant on the other hand is a consensus top 10 talent - more like top 6. [/b]

Browns filled a big need because they can't cover shit although they may have reached but they got alot of ground to make up.

[b]Sounds kinda like what the Bengals did - reach to cover a need, instead of all this talk about depth and this draft being open for them to take the Best Player. [/b]
[/quote]

In one of the deepest drafts in NFL history. Any other draft and he's easily a top 15 pick.

I've come around to the pick after being initially frustrated by it. I still have reservations about it panning out, either due to injury/bad luck or improper use by Bob.

I hope I'm wrong. We need to score a LOT more points than we did last year, build on our foundation on defense and get back into the playoffs and make some noise.

I'll be dancing with the rest of you when/if that happens.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='23 April 2010 - 11:15 AM' timestamp='1272035727' post='881524']
I wouldn't say any of that at all. Won't be shocked if both Jones and Simpson make the team.

And I don't think rookie Bryant, out of football for a year, automatically beats out a 3rd year Caldwell. By the end of the year maybe, but not to start.
[/quote]

Chad, A. Bryant, Caldwell, Cosby are locks (Cosby because of his punt return skills)

If we do end up taking Riley Cooper as someone has mentioned then your left with either Simpson or Jones as the #6

If we did take Bryant I guarantee you he would have started the season spitting time with Caldwell, like Henry was, and likely would have taken the position outright by midseason.

But either way I dont hate the Gresham pick, I hope he can get his blocking skills up to Reggie Kelly level, then he will be a sick pick as opposed to a good pick.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='23 April 2010 - 11:35 AM' timestamp='1272036902' post='881540']
Chad, A. Bryant, Caldwell, Cosby are locks (Cosby because of his punt return skills)

If we do end up taking Riley Cooper as someone has mentioned then your left with either Simpson or Jones as the #6

If we did take Bryant I guarantee you he would have started the season spitting time with Caldwell, like Henry was, and likely would have taken the position outright by midseason.

But either way I dont hate the Gresham pick, I hope he can get his blocking skills up to Reggie Kelly level, then he will be a sick pick as opposed to a good pick.
[/quote]

I don't think Cosby is a lock. If they take Gilyard or Damian Williams today, Cosby may need to be looking over his shoulder. I have nothing against Cosby, but he's not needed if Gilyard is on the team.

I still won't be surprised if they don't take a WR before round 6.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='23 April 2010 - 11:38 AM' timestamp='1272037080' post='881542']
I don't think Cosby is a lock. If they take Gilyard or Damian Williams today, Cosby may need to be looking over his shoulder. I have nothing against Cosby, but he's not needed if Gilyard is on the team.

I still won't be surprised if they don't take a WR before round 6.
[/quote]

I dont see us taking Gilyard if Cooper is who they are targeting in 3, also in scout's video Marvin made mention they will only take a UC guy if he can help them, I saw that as a we arent taking Gilyard comment, besides Cosby was a pretty good return guy for us, and a damn fine teams blocker, that blocking on Benard Scott's kick return touchdown was silly.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='23 April 2010 - 11:41 AM' timestamp='1272037278' post='881548']
I dont see us taking Gilyard if Cooper is who they are targeting in 3, also in scout's video Marvin made mention they will only take a UC guy if he can help them, I saw that as a we arent taking Gilyard comment, besides Cosby was a pretty good return guy for us, and a damn fine teams blocker, that blocking on Benard Scott's kick return touchdown was silly.
[/quote]

he was also very praiseworthy of Gilyard in that vid.

Like I said, I have nothing against Cosby and think he can even contribute as a WR, but I don't see him as irreplaceable. If they grab a guy who can do what he does on special teams, they may pull the trigger.

I do think they are looking for a kick returner to replace Bernard Scott. Watch last season. When Scott and Caldwell returned kicks, they saw less snaps on offense. They've said they want to get Scott more involved on offense, so that likely means they are looking for someone who can take over returning kicks.

I personally don't think they need an early WR, but it won't shock me at all to see Gilyard taken and become the starting punt and kick returner, with limited time on offense. Cosby then either gets cut or replaces Simpson on the bench.

[quote name='ccartman2' date='23 April 2010 - 09:50 AM' timestamp='1272030632' post='881455']
But what Olinemen do you take in this spot? The top Guard was gone and a Center that can play Guard was gone. They weren't drafting a tackle here, because they love Whit at Left and have to give Andre a chance a RT. Bobbie is back at RG and I don't think the center was a problem last year either. That leaves an upgrade at LG and/or drafting Bobbie's replacement. Not something that was likely to happen in Round 1.
[/quote]

O i agree on all counts, i was just pointing out I still think it's a weakness.

[quote name='scharm' date='23 April 2010 - 05:46 AM' timestamp='1272023199' post='881374']
I'm gonna say yards and points will be on a major increase this year.
[/quote]

lol well duh. we had a buttfuck on the line last year, hampered damn near everything except the have 15 dudes block and run like a motherfucker... every palmer year before was a HUGE increase in yards over last year..

[quote name='turningpoint' date='23 April 2010 - 07:45 AM' timestamp='1272030340' post='881449']
I still don't trust our O line Pass protection, that's our biggest question mark.
[/quote]

we HAVE to add some depth if not a starter here.. a linemen in 2 helps a lot.... id also love if somehow spikes fell to us...

if we grab a linemen in 2.. our first three picks will be offensive ones..

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='23 April 2010 - 01:28 PM' timestamp='1272022113' post='881362']
gresham is a great talent but i dont trust brat to use him effectively
[/quote]
Yup, we are very bad in getting rookies on field. And we have no recent history with effective TE. However Brat being almost pure match up guy he might surprise us and get a lot out of Gresham. Brat can use talent very well but he is clueless when he has to get creative with less talent. I think that is something that everyone can agree...

[quote name='Nordman' date='23 April 2010 - 10:48 AM' timestamp='1272044894' post='881662']
Yup, we are very bad in getting rookies on field. And we have no recent history with effective TE. However Brat being almost pure match up guy he might surprise us and get a lot out of Gresham. Brat can use talent very well but he is clueless when he has to get creative with less talent. I think that is something that everyone can agree...
[/quote]

SHOVEL PASS TO GRESHAM! TOUCHDOWN BENGALS!!!!

Archived