Bengals widen margin in AFC North today

Biggest hole on the team was TE. People can throw any amount Bullshit around it don't change Coffman and Coats with only Kelly on horizon.

The #1 player at his position group for the #1 hole, but it doesn't stop there. Gresham isn't a run of the mill TE talent found in the 20s. More like one you find in the 9-15 pick range. Lucky Bengals.

Browns filled a big need because they can't cover shit although they may have reached but they got alot of ground to make up.

To the biggest challengers:

Steelers watch Iupati picked right before them and then picked a Center that would not have been in the top 3 last year. Low impact for 2010.

Ravens absolutely got punked. No Gresham, No Bryant, No Thomas, and No Wilson. No impact starter from round 1? Bunch of bitches.

[quote name='scharm' date='22 April 2010 - 07:57 PM' timestamp='1271991440' post='881205']

Ravens absolutely got punked. No Gresham, No Bryant, No Thomas, and No Wilson. No impact starter from round 1? Bunch of bitches.
[/quote]

I agree - a playoff contender needs its high picks to get a star. Dropping 20 slots to the mid second and getting a fourth may not be the same thing.

[quote name='unleashed' date='22 April 2010 - 10:49 PM' timestamp='1272001776' post='881331']
I think the Ravens will still be able to do some damage with extra 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks
[/quote]

They don't have extra 3rd and 4th round picks. They just recieved one. They had traded away theirs earlier.

[quote name='unleashed' date='23 April 2010 - 01:49 AM' timestamp='1272001776' post='881331']
I think the Ravens will still be able to do some damage with extra 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks
[/quote]

For the 2010 season? Plus Bengals still line up 5 picks in those same rounds.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='23 April 2010 - 07:28 AM' timestamp='1272022113' post='881362']
gresham is a great talent but i dont trust brat to use him effectively
[/quote]

I'm gonna say yards and points will be on a major increase this year.

[quote name='turningpoint' date='23 April 2010 - 09:45 AM' timestamp='1272030340' post='881449']
I still don't trust our O line Pass protection, that's our biggest question mark.
[/quote]

But what Olinemen do you take in this spot? The top Guard was gone and a Center that can play Guard was gone. They weren't drafting a tackle here, because they love Whit at Left and have to give Andre a chance a RT. Bobbie is back at RG and I don't think the center was a problem last year either. That leaves an upgrade at LG and/or drafting Bobbie's replacement. Not something that was likely to happen in Round 1.

[quote name='scharm' date='22 April 2010 - 10:57 PM' timestamp='1271991440' post='881205']
To the biggest challengers:

Steelers watch Iupati picked right before them and then picked a Center that would not have been in the top 3 last year. Low impact for 2010.

[/quote]

Other than our pick, watching Iupati pull a Sedrick Ellis on the Stealers made the whole night. I really wanted him..but at least the Stealers didn't get him--and we even got him out of the AFC!

The Rats will choose wisely...they always do.

[quote name='Le Tigre' date='23 April 2010 - 10:03 AM' timestamp='1272031406' post='881465']
Other than our pick, watching Iupati pull a Sedrick Ellis on the Stealers made the whole night. I really wanted him..but at least the Stealers didn't get him--and we even got him out of the AFC!

The Rats will choose wisely...they always do.
[/quote]

I think RATs Front office is overrated. They've had championship caliber defense for over a decade and can't get enough offense to get back. They've blown picks on McGahee trades. Wasted a bunch of crap on Boller, Clayton etc. I think they just got out foxed in this first round.

The Rats have picks in this draft, sure. Bengals sitting with 5 picks in the next 3 rounds.

If it weren't the Bengals, any defending division champ that added the best prospect at the biggest area of need would have the talking heads exploding with praise. The Bengals got a shitty history that will never change so people walk lightly.

Pats end up with Gresham and they are licking the balls of the organization.

No matter what happens from this point in the draft for the 2010 season the Bengals got the biggest impact from the draft in the AFC North. Any other team it would be phrased as the strong get stronger.

[quote name='scharm' date='22 April 2010 - 10:57 PM' timestamp='1271991440' post='881205']

Biggest hole on the team was TE. People can throw any amount Bullshit around it don't change Coffman and Coats with only Kelly on horizon.

The #1 player at his position group for the #1 hole, but it doesn't stop there.

[b]They could have gotten exceptional TE prospects later in the Draft. Kelly. Coffman. Foschi. Coats. Draft Pick (s) [/b]

Gresham isn't a run of the mill TE talent found in the 20s. More like one you find in the 9-15 pick range. Lucky Bengals.

[b]He was projected around the 25th player, so quit sugar coating it clarence. Now Dez Bryant on the other hand is a consensus top 10 talent - more like top 6. [/b]

Browns filled a big need because they can't cover shit although they may have reached but they got alot of ground to make up.

[b]Sounds kinda like what the Bengals did - reach to cover a need, instead of all this talk about depth and this draft being open for them to take the Best Player. [/b]

[quote name='The Scales' date='23 April 2010 - 10:10 AM' timestamp='1272031836' post='881472']

[b]They could have gotten exceptional TE prospects later in the Draft. Kelly. Coffman. Foschi. Coats. Draft Pick (s) [/b]

Gresham isn't a run of the mill TE talent found in the 20s. More like one you find in the 9-15 pick range. Lucky Bengals.

[b]He was projected around the 25th player, so quit sugar coating it clarence. Now Dez Bryant on the other hand is a consensus top 10 talent - more like top 6. [/b]

[b]Sounds kinda like what the Bengals did - reach to cover a need, instead of all this talk about depth and this draft being open for them to take the Best Player. [/b]
[/quote]

Completely wrong. The strongest arguement from Bengal fans about not drafting Gresham had nothing to do with his talent. Had everything to do with some bullshit about Brat.

The TE hungry teams traded out of their spots almost immediately once they found our Gresham was with the Bengals.

Gresham is the best player. Points and yards will go up dramatically next year. Gresham was #1 TE last year. #1 Te this year and his injury pushed him down to the Bengals. It is a time to be happy unless you have something against scoring TDs.

Dez Bryant is bad ass as well. Yet he didn't end up with the Ravens. The two players are not related in terms of improvement.

[quote name='The Scales' date='23 April 2010 - 07:10 AM' timestamp='1272031836' post='881472']

[/quote]

Apparently not to the twenty or so NFL teams that passed on him - one even took a WR.

[quote name='The Scales' date='23 April 2010 - 10:10 AM' timestamp='1272031836' post='881472']

[/quote]

Hardly a reach with Gresham at 21. Bengals already said they could see him being taken as early as 15. He fell in our laps and now makes the TE position relevant again in our offense. Bryant has ridiculous potential and not much work ethic. Gresham has ZERO character concerns, labeled a "gym rat", and can stretch the middle of the field. Is Dez better than Antonio right now? Most likely not, WRs rarely are large contributors in rookie years (sans Randy Moss) and he would be in a fight to overtake Antonio as the #2.

Gresham has the potential to start and immediately becomes a red zone and 3rd down threat. I'm still worried about the knee but trust he was poked and pulled enough that he is 100% and ready to go. I wasn't immediately sold on this pick in the run up to the draft but after doing some reading and listening to Gresham's conf. call I'm very impressed w/ this kid and what he gives us.

Here's another point about picking Dez. Lets say he is a top talent and plays well. Who is he replacing for us? Caldwell, who is pretty good, or Matt Jones, whos a first round pick, or Simpson, if he lives up to his pick. In all cases, he's replacing someone who is pretty good - the winner out of all of those will have some talent.

Who does Gresham replace? Dan Coats, or the aged Reggie Kelly coming off an injury.

I still don't understand the bitching about the pick.The Bengals had a huge gaping black hole at TE.The position KILLED us last year(two TD passes dropped in the 1st Ravens game alone),and it looks like we got a pick that is talented enough to warrant the pick,and fills a huge need.

We have 3 picks today.My hope is that two of them are OL and safety.

Unoffically Gresham will walk into May mini camp a starter. Bryant would not have.

The two players are not related. The goal is to improve the production of the offense and give Carson weapons. Consider it accompolished.

Adding gravey to this are these facts:

The interior line prospects were down from last year. Steelers went with Center, Ravens went with trades. Those drafts can still be solid but it unlikely to make an impact for next season.

The Bengals on paper added to the gap between them and the also rans in the AFC North. It's a great first round.

[quote name='Oldcat' date='23 April 2010 - 10:25 AM' timestamp='1272032751' post='881482']
Here's another point about picking Dez. Lets say he is a top talent and plays well. Who is he replacing for us? Caldwell, who is pretty good, or Matt Jones, whos a first round pick, or Simpson, if he lives up to his pick. In all cases, he's replacing someone who is pretty good - the winner out of all of those will have some talent.

Who does Gresham replace? Dan Coats, or the aged Reggie Kelly coming off an injury.
[/quote]

I'm indifferent to the pick and but please tell me your kidding? One of Matt Jones or Simpson are not going to be on the team this year, Bryant would easily replace Caldwell as the #3. I recall when we had a decent #3 in Kelly Washington and still drafter a first round talent in Chris Henry despite there being other needs, and that worked out well when Chris was playing.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='23 April 2010 - 07:30 AM' timestamp='1272033048' post='881488']
I'm indifferent to the pick and but please tell me your kidding? One of Matt Jones or Simpson are not going to be on the team this year, Bryant would easily replace Caldwell as the #3. I recall when we had a decent #3 in Kelly Washington and still drafter a first round talent in Chris Henry despite there being other needs, and that worked out well when Chris was playing.
[/quote]

I am not predicting who will win the #3 battle. But my point still stands - the difference between Dez and Caldwell is much less than between Gresham and a big fat 0 at tight end.

[quote name='Oldcat' date='23 April 2010 - 10:33 AM' timestamp='1272033229' post='881492']
I am not predicting who will win the #3 battle. But my point still stands - the difference between Dez and Caldwell is much less than between Gresham and a big fat 0 at tight end.
[/quote]

Well duh, but the difference between Caldwell and Dez is pretty big.

[quote name='scharm' date='23 April 2010 - 09:19 AM' timestamp='1272032354' post='881475']
ame='The Scales' date='23 April 2010 - 10:10 AM' timestamp='1272031836' post='881472']

Completely wrong. The strongest arguement from Bengal fans about not drafting Gresham had nothing to do with his talent. Had everything to do with some bullshit about Brat.

The TE hungry teams traded out of their spots almost immediately once they found our Gresham was with the Bengals.

Gresham is the best player. Points and yards will go up dramatically next year. Gresham was #1 TE last year. #1 Te this year and his injury pushed him down to the Bengals. It is a time to be happy unless you have something against scoring TDs.

Dez Bryant is bad ass as well. Yet he didn't end up with the Ravens. The two players are not related in terms of improvement.
[/quote]
This.

We hear that he isn't the speed threat that Dez is. True. But people forget that we picked up our deep threat in March. We also have a middle of the field threat that will require more than LB coverage. In fact, our previous TE's could probably be covered by some D-Lineman.

As far as the argument that the Bengals don't use the tight end, I have to ask is that because of philosophy or lack of option (and attrition? Brat hasn't used the tight end because the Bengals haven't had a pass catching tight end. You can't be father of the year without being a parent.

Aside from the aforementioned, Gresham gives us the red zone target we need. Plan on more play action and more scoring this year.

Archived