Gun control

oldschooler

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' timestamp='1295484857' post='963148']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2rzEtFvQLw[/media]

Took me a minute, but the movie was called Michael and Me.
[/quote]

ugh, can we stop with the "you hate america" stuff

i mean really

And Japan has about 3 times the suicide rate as USA. Let's do what they do. Their demographics are made up of almost one culture/language. They have an older population. What Japan does and what USA does should never be the same. It's comparing apples and oranges.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1295448001' post='963005']
So because something is tougher to obtain, that is somehow punishing people?
Really?

Are people punished because they have to have titles for cars? Or have to take classes
and get a drivers license, carry insurance, not drive impaired, be a certain age to operate
them ect? I also guess the Government shouldn't post speed limits, or other things that
pertain to driving for the users safety? All punishments, huh.

The guns laws and restrictions are way too lax. Innocent people are dying needlessly.

There are 90 guns for every 100 people in America. We are the most heavily armed Nation
on the planet. Gun manufacturers flood the market because they are easily obtained.
If they weren't so easily obtained, they wouldn't be pumping them out so much. And if
that was the case, then the black market wouldn't have a huge stockpile. And if guns
were destroyed after they were found on people that had them or obtained them illegally,
that would reduce the amount. Criminals would have to be rich to buy them. Young kids
in inner cities sure wouldn't be able to buy them ect.

Don't get me started on the marijuana debate. It was made illegal for racist reasons.
And remains illegal for asinine reasons. It is sad that adults can't buy something that
harms no one but themselves, but can buy something with ease that can harm multitudes
of people with the squeeze of a trigger.
[/quote]

You won't get an argument from me on the marijuana thing. I am for decriminalization.

Why should it be harder from me to obtain a firearm because a very few people misuse them?

That is punishing law abiding citizens. There is no way around that. Criminals will get guns either way just as a marijuana smoker gets his marijuana.

The type of individual that would commit a horrific crime clearly does not subscribe to the rules of society so I am not sure changing the rules that they all ready disobey would make a difference anyway.

You and I want the same thing. We just differ on our view of the way to go about it.

[quote name='fluhartz' timestamp='1295445409' post='962995']
I never said ban guns.... Just make them harder to get....

and there are over 127 million people in Japan.. a little less than half as many as the US... yet hardly any murders with guns...

2010... firearm murders...

USA 9369
Japan 47

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir-crime-murders-with-firearms

and murders in those countries

USA 16204
Japan 637

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur-crime-murders

% of murders committed with guns

USA 57%
Japan 7%

Yes guns are only a tool, but a hell of a tool....
Looks like stricter gun laws work.. I know it's only two countries... but the numbers are there...
[/quote]

The Swiss have the most lax gun laws in the world and one of the lowest murder rates. Take your numbers and look at them on a per capita basis. Then consider the other factors like racial strife etc. Statistics alone do not tell the story.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' timestamp='1295483917' post='963141']
Did you ever see the counter movie to Bowling for Columbine that interviewed the same people Michael Moore did and they said he edited everything they said to make it look the way Moore wanted it to?
[/quote]

no I haven't... and I know that Michael Moore does what he does. Spins things to look like he wants them to... That doesn't take away the fact that there is a serious problem with gun control in this country.. I know guns don't kill people.. people do...

There is no reason in the world for regular people like us to have machine guns, guns that can hold like 50 rounds of ammunition... and stuff like that.. What is the use of having it?

should people be allowed to have bazookas, tanks and things of that nature.. I mean sane people wouldn't do anything wrong with them..right?

[quote name='fluhartz' timestamp='1295529616' post='963204']
no I haven't... and I know that Michael Moore does what he does. Spins things to look like he wants them to... That doesn't take away the fact that there is a serious problem with gun control in this country.. I know guns don't kill people.. people do...

There is no reason in the world for regular people like us to have machine guns, guns that can hold like 50 rounds of ammunition... and stuff like that.. What is the use of having it?

should people be allowed to have bazookas, tanks and things of that nature.. I mean sane people wouldn't do anything wrong with them..right?
[/quote]

I agree... My point was quoting Michael Moore for substance is not a good thing....

[quote name='steggyD' timestamp='1295492567' post='963169']
And Japan has about 3 times the suicide rate as USA. Let's do what they do. Their demographics are made up of almost one culture/language. They have an older population. What Japan does and what USA does should never be the same. It's comparing apples and oranges.
[/quote]

I am quoting off the top of my head so don't shoot (no pun intended). Last studies I saw showed that Japan had about 24 per 100,000 while the US had about 11 per 100,000. However, for the 13th straight year there have been 30,000 suicides or more each year. My understanding from the newspaper, (Japan Today) they claim it's an economic thing.

In other words, its not 3 times but it's still bad. The breakdown of who commits suicide and how suicide is committed is interesting in a morbid sorta way. Lots of gun related suicide in America though that is needless.

[b]The above is my last statement about Japan[/b]. I realize that the problems in America are not going to solve theirself by comparing what another country does to what we do. We are a unique country and not many in the world can even closely compare to us and how we conduct ourselves. Right or wrong its who we are and what made us a great nation.

[quote name='fluhartz' timestamp='1295529616' post='963204']

[/quote]

I wouldn't mind having a tank. Imagine if we could paint it orange and black camo for the tailgate party. Instead of loading shells, put t-shirts in the tube for "air launch." Instead of gas tanks, beer kegs. Elevating the main gun would also provide quick tent setup. no more traffic jams getting out of the parking lots. Great for hostile stadiums... Load main gun with lots of orange paint...

[quote name='Numbers' timestamp='1295533463' post='963227']
I wouldn't mind having a tank. Imagine if we could paint it orange and black camo for the tailgate party. Instead of loading shells, put t-shirts in the tube for "air launch." Instead of gas tanks, beer kegs. Elevating the main gun would also provide quick tent setup. no more traffic jams getting out of the parking lots. Great for hostile stadiums... Load main gun with lots of orange paint...
[/quote]

I stand corrected....

We do need tanks... sounds awesome to me....

[quote name='John~Galt' timestamp='1295505209' post='963189']
Why should it be harder from me to obtain a firearm because a very few people misuse them?

That is punishing law abiding citizens. There is no way around that. Criminals will get guns either way just as a marijuana smoker gets his marijuana.

The type of individual that would commit a horrific crime clearly does not subscribe to the rules of society so I am not sure changing the rules that they all ready disobey would make a difference anyway.

You and I want the same thing. We just differ on our view of the way to go about it.
[/quote]

30,000 people dying a year is a lot more than a very few. That is like the
World Trade Center happening 10 times a year, as far as death tolls.
And it is a lot if even one of those 30,000 was someone you loved and cherished.

You keep saying punish. That is way too harsh of a word. Inconvenience would
be a much better word. Because you have a lack of ease of getting a gun.
Nothing more. Well, unless they taxed the hell out of them, like I proposed.
But I was just mentioning that. And I only mentioned that because the Goverment
taxes the hell out of tobacco and gas now.

People are killed by guns everyday.Everyday. You can't act like all that are doing the
shooting would go to the black market to find guns. Most use guns because they
are easily obtainable and get the job done quick with no physical exertion or confrontation
needed. Maximum damage.

And if we want the same thing, then how do you view we should go about it?
All I did was offer some resolutions. From the people that disagree, all I have
seen is no way, if the laws that were in place now were enforced ect. Like
status quo is OK, as long as they don't have someone they care about shot,
or they don't have to be inconvenienced.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1295541819' post='963262']
http://crooksandliars.com/karoli/lawrence-odonnell-takes-rep-trent-franks-wo
[/quote]

that was good stuff... Franks is annoying.... "lets just take the guns from everyone ..cops and all..." what is he a child?

Lawrence.....

"I blame the shooter for the first 10 bullets. I blame the law for the next 21."

[url="http://twitter.com/BreakingNews"][color="#0a0501"]
[/url][url="http://twitter.com/BreakingNews"][color="#0a0501"][b]BreakingNews[/b][/color][/url] [b] [/b][b] [/b][b]Miami shooting update: At least 2 killed; area schools on lockdown after suspect flees the scene [/b][url="http://bit.ly/dZGEzo"][b][color="#0a0501"]http://bit.ly/dZGEzo[/color][/b][/url]
[b] [/b][url="http://twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/28133985452298240"][b]about 1 hour ago[/b][/url][b] via [url="http://www.breakingnews.com/"]breakingnews.com[/url] [/b]

[url="http://twitter.com/BreakingNews"][b]BreakingNews[/b][/color][/url] One Miami-Dade police officer dies in shooting, one in surgery; at least one suspect killed - NBC [url="http://bit.ly/fOj4RA"][color="#0a0501"]http://bit.ly/fOj4RA[/color][/url]
[url="http://twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/28145021257519105"]4 minutes ago[/url] via [url="http://www.breakingnews.com/"]breakingnews.com[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1295535795' post='963237']
And if we want the same thing, then how do you view we should go about it?
All I did was offer some resolutions. From the people that disagree, all I have
seen is no way, if the laws that were in place now were enforced ect. Like
status quo is OK, as long as they don't have someone they care about shot,
or they don't have to be inconvenienced.
[/quote]

[quote]Basically, I am for any law and restriction that takes as many guns off the streets and puts them only in the hands of responsible people, or no one.[/quote]

I like most of your ideas. Especially the high tax on ammo idea. This reminds me of the cigarette tax and how it was supposed to be used to help those who have tobacco related illnesses and/or medical facilities that treat these things. ONLY if the taxes are accounted for and used in a manner that actually enforced some of these new laws and/or restrictions you are discussing. Who does the accounting ?

If you know someone who was personally affected by gun violence in one manner or another, who was responsible and did they do jail/prison time ? If they're letting people out of jail after one year that contrinuted to the Columbine massacre I don't have much faith that the powers that be will enact anything that is actually enforced.

• 4 weeks later...
I have a sword, and know how to use it...

Seriously... It may not be any good at searching around in the dark of my house looking for a burglar... But that is stupid anyway.. If someone breaks into my house, they can have my stuff.... But if they try to come into my room, they are going to get cut the fuck up.

I always remember a story my dad told me when I was a kid (he had 3 shotguns for duck hunting and a compound bow for deer).. A friend of his went drinking one night after work with some friends and stayed out too late.. He was also shit faced, and couldn't find his house key.. Since he and the wife had been going around about this very thing (staying out too late with the guys getting shit faced) he decided to try and "break into" his own house (through an unlocked window) rather than wake the wife up and get yelled at....

Since he was shit-faced he was making noise (and also, wasn't thinking about the pistol he had bought for home protection)... He slid open the window and started to climb in.. Only to discover he was looking down the barrel of his own gun!

Fortunately for him, he hadn't had a chance to take the wife to the range and get her acclimated to using it... She had tried to pull the trigger but the safety was on!!

Needless to say, he disposed of the pistol the next day.

I support gun ownership and gun control.. But I don't like the idea of one in the house. You never know when a situation (fight, accident) could go from bad to fatal in an instant.

I never used to care about gun control, then one day i went to a Cabella's in PA and saw a bunch of rednecks litereally waiting in line to buy assault rifels...since then i've done some thinking on the issue and arrived the following conclusions:

-i think hunting is retarded

-i think the vast majority of the population is too stupid to responsiblly own a firearm

-i think having one in a home is dangerous

[quote name='mullichicken25' timestamp='1297706343' post='970486']
I never used to care about gun control, then one day i went to a Cabella's in PA and saw a bunch of rednecks litereally waiting in line to buy assault rifels...since then i've done some thinking on the issue and arrived the following conclusions:

-i think hunting is retarded

-i think the vast majority of the population is too stupid to responsiblly own a firearm

-i think having one in a home is dangerous
[/quote]

1. You obviously never had to stretch your food dollar.
2. Irony.
3. *shrugs* So are countless things, but with a modicum of respect, training, and care, they can be as safe as any other tool.

[quote name='Xombie' timestamp='1297778037' post='970591']
1. You obviously never had to stretch your food dollar.
2. Irony.
3. *shrugs* So are countless things, but with a modicum of respect, training, and care, they can be as safe as any other tool.
[/quote]

1. curious how much money is saved after the offset of initial gun cost, ammunition, lincensing and fees...and i've never heard of anybody in this day and age who's actually HAD to hunt for the food they eat...its a sport, its entertainment and, in my opinion, retarded
2. see #3
3. generally speaking, i dont think people can do that on their own. Also, i dont think that enough emphasis could be placed on throughly enforcing this...take drivers licenses for example...you you have to be "trained" and pass a test, but really any moron can manuver a car in a parking with multiple opperitunities to get it right and the result is hundreds of thousands of horrible and recklace drivers on the road

[quote name='mullichicken25' timestamp='1297779524' post='970597']
1. curious how much money is saved after the offset of initial gun cost, ammunition, lincensing and fees...and i've never heard of anybody in this day and age who's actually HAD to hunt for the food they eat...its a sport, its entertainment and, in my opinion, retarded
2. see #3
3. generally speaking, i dont think people can do that on their own. Also, i dont think that enough emphasis could be placed on throughly enforcing this...take drivers licenses for example...you you have to be "trained" and pass a test, but really any moron can manuver a car in a parking with multiple opperitunities to get it right and the result is hundreds of thousands of horrible and recklace drivers on the road
[/quote]

There are hunters who, while doing a great service to both civilization and nature, donate the meat from their kills to food pantries. For these hunters, the cost can be negligible when compared to any other hobby. I have friends that spend more money on their cars, computers, season tickets, than other friends who choose to hunt.

And, at the risk of being Shitty Internet Guy, mayhaps you should take a long look in the mirror, or at least utilize spell check, before openly deriding the relative stupidity of groups of people and their legally allowed choices in which the spend their time, money, energy, and perhaps passion. Calling someone a stupid redneck in one breath and not being able to spell 'reckless' in the next does not do you a whole lot of credit. Just as guns are dangerous in the hands of the ill-trained, uneducated, and the knee-jerk reactions of weak-willed sheep, the same could easily be said about the internet.

[quote name='Xombie' timestamp='1297783172' post='970616']
There are hunters who, while doing a great service to both civilization and nature, donate the meat from their kills to food pantries. For these hunters, the cost can be negligible when compared to any other hobby. I have friends that spend more money on their cars, computers, season tickets, than other friends who choose to hunt.

And, at the risk of being Shitty Internet Guy, mayhaps you should take a long look in the mirror, or at least utilize spell check, before openly deriding the relative stupidity of groups of people and their legally allowed choices in which the spend their time, money, energy, and perhaps passion. Calling someone a stupid redneck in one breath and not being able to spell 'reckless' in the next does not do you a whole lot of credit. Just as guns are dangerous in the hands of the ill-trained, uneducated, and the knee-jerk reactions of weak-willed sheep, the same could easily be said about the internet.
[/quote]
Wow...pump the breaks there big guy

I think your combining some of my thoughts there....I said hunting is retarded, not hunters. And then I went on to say that the average Joe "is too stupid" to own and safely operate a gun...I should have done a better job of spelling it out but I wasn't referring to hunters (who have ample experience with firearms) as too stupid own them, I was saying that I think the reason they own guns is stupid (clearly a personal opinion)

To elaborate on the "stupid" comment, I'm referring to someone who gets a gun with little to.no knowledge or respect for this incredible powerful weapon and keeps it in their home...and no, I do not have enough faith in the general population to prepare themselves for gun ownership

Sorry you got so butt hurt about hunting and my stance on it....a lot of my close friends are hunters or gun owners or both, they love it and think its great, I just disagree, and its not like I'm advocating a ban on hunting, I just think its lame

And yes, my spelling is horrid, take as many shots at it as you'd like

[quote name='mullichicken25' timestamp='1297787341' post='970643']
Wow...pump the breaks there big guy

I think your combining some of my thoughts there....I said hunting is retarded, not hunters. And then I went on to say that the average Joe "is too stupid" to own and safely operate a gun...I should have done a better job of spelling it out but I wasn't referring to hunters (who have ample experience with firearms) as too stupid own them, I was saying that I think the reason they own guns is stupid (clearly a personal opinion)

To elaborate on the "stupid" comment, I'm referring to someone who gets a gun with little to.no knowledge or respect for this incredible powerful weapon and keeps it in their home...and no, I do not have enough faith in the general population to prepare themselves for gun ownership

Sorry you got so butt hurt about hunting and my stance on it....a lot of my close friends are hunters or gun owners or both, they love it and think its great, I just disagree, and its not like I'm advocating a ban on hunting, I just think its lame

And yes, my spelling is horrid, take as many shots at it as you'd like
[/quote]

Well, I feel paintbrushing people and using derogatory terms to describe them is lame, however many of my friends do it too... Makes it okay, I 'spose, right? And, please, if you can not differentiate between someone pointing out the hypocrisy of your views and someone being 'butt hurt', which is I assume is yet another derogatory slang term mocking another group of people, maybe you should step away from the screen and the keyboard and read a book.

[quote name='Xombie' timestamp='1297792528' post='970671']
Well, I feel paintbrushing people and using derogatory terms to describe them is lame, however many of my friends do it too... Makes it okay, I 'spose, right? And, please, if you can not differentiate between someone pointing out the hypocrisy of your views and someone being 'butt hurt', which is I assume is yet another derogatory slang term mocking another group of people, maybe you should step away from the screen and the keyboard and read a book.
[/quote]

books are lame too

Whatever your opinion on the sport of hunting, it is generally justified. Open season on particular animal types keeps them from running amok, since human civilization has wiped out many dominant predators.

As far as gun ownership, yes, a person who is probably "too stupid" to own a gun can get one. It's our constitutional right. Are there improvements to be made in the process of making guns available to people? Absolutely. My faith personally is not so shaken that I don't think the average American is intelligent and/or responsible enough to own a gun. On the contrary. It's easy to imagine Dumb Joe Redneck hooting and hollering and shooting his barn with his brand new AK-47, but that's not your average American. In any case, the average American is [b]far[/b] more dangerous to his fellow citizens simply by pulling out of the driveway in the morning than by having a gun in his house.

There are millions upon millions of people in America. The fact that a great minority abuses its rights in a large way does not make it proper or justified to restrict those rights to the rest of us.

Archived