Workout Routine

TheBeaverHunter

Maybe Crossfit is here to stay. When I go to the gym, I sometimes call it lifting weights, but usually just say "going to gym" or "going to lift". They go to the gym and Crossfit? The whole capitalization of Crossfit has me confused too. Wonder why it's called a box? Most other gyms are shaped like boxes in some way or another.

My personal opinion:

I have to respect it because there's some people on there that are complete beasts. Some women on there put me to shame... but that comes with being the regular Joe Schmoe and not being a professional, semi-professional, or competing athlete like some of these people are. It doesn't have to be Crossfit; someone can be a normal lifter, runner, whatever and still be able to put all of us to shame just because they're superior physically in one way or another. I don't like it and overall I think it's kind of less manly (but then again I've been doing a lot of bitch work lately around the house so who am I to speak?) in comparison to doing a normal workout or lifting. Maybe I wouldn't think that if they just said they were going to the gym... kind of seems like they need someone to know they are doing something that is "the craze" so they do refer to it as Crossfit or "going to the box" or however way they can let you know they don't go to a normal gym and do normal things but they're going to do Crossfit. It's just not ordinary to me I guess is what I am trying to say. But maybe the normal gym to us is not normal to them and we're dumb asses for putting our bodies at risk with 300 lbs over our heads? Who knows; just thinking outloud.

I'll probably never do it. 1) I am stuck in my ways 2) It seems like I wouldn't be good at it 3) I hear the membership fees are high and there isn't one around me 4) If I don't lift actual weights, like bench, curls, leg press, skull crushers, rows, etc. I get small and that can't happen again. I couldn't imagine sets of 30. f that

And naming things are weird to me too. If you do something so many times you achieve "Charlie" or whatever. We don't get an award for hitting 225 x 10 except for self satisfaction and maybe a little ribbing to your buddies about what you can do and they can't, maybe pride, sense of achievement, something like that.

"I achieved "Ferdinand" last Friday night, what did you do?" idk fellas...... that's different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMapkdLW0ZI

Froning is the 3 time champion of the Crossfit (which is just a brand name) games and called "The fittest man on earth", I posted the video because, and I dont mean this disrespectfully, he's right when he says people who are critical of crossfit have likely never done crossfit. (BTW, Froning has a 300lb snatch, so the guys at the top of the pyrmid can put up heavy weight)

Due to the fact that CF is cross-modality, you dont just lift (olympic lift), you dont just do cardio, you dont just do gymnastic type movments you do all of them to achive a goal of overal functional fitness.

Do we talk about it all the time? Sure, but no more so than the guys that go to normal gyms and talk about how much they lifted.

We call it a box not just because its shaped like a box but because there arent machines like you see in a normal gym, it's really just a marketing thing more than anything though and even amongst CF folks is a bit of contention about it.

Not all of them but many of the workouts are named for two reasons,

1. If it's a woman's name the owner of the CF brand Greg Glassman said this - “I want to explain the workout once and then give it a name.  I thought that anything that left you flat on your back, looking up at the sky asking ‘what just happened to me?’ deserved a females name.  Workouts are just like storms, they wreak havoc on towns.”

2. If it's a man's name that is usually in reference to what they call "Hero" workouts which are named after usually Soldiers who have lost their lives in the line of duty (but sometimes also police and fire) and they name a workout after them to pay homage to them.

Is it expensive? Yes, but not all that much more expensive than a normal gym membership adding in sessions with a personal trainer.

You do get coaching in group settings so if you compare the prices of normal gyms with group traning the costs are not that much higher.

Also to what Skins posted, the idea that  you have to be "fit enough" to do Crossfit is wrong, you have to be fit to compete yes, but to just do it nope, good coaches scale the workouts to peoples individual fitness levels, can't do a kipping pull-up? use a big rubber band to help you get up and then as you get stronger the band should be less thick until you dont need it. Cant lift the prescribed weight? Go lighter. Eventually youll get more in shape and better at it and beable to do more, but you dont have to be "in shape", some of my favorite people at our box are the out of shape people who come in and end up changing their lives, that is inspiring to watch.

A 300 lb. snatch would be tough to drag around, let alone lift.

LOL

Its like 5X a gym membership here and thats for like 3 times a week.  Who wants to work out 3 times a week for an hour when you can workout 7 times a week for two hours.

I pay 175 a month, the globo gym I was going to was 65 a month plus 100 a month if you wanted a personal trainer, so it's 10 bucks more for me to go to CF

Why a personal trainer though? If you were brand new to it, yeah, I could understand a little, but you've been talking on this for a while it seems.

I remember when I started messing around with the weights. I just went in and mocked what the big guys did, read up on things, and went from there... on the job training basically.

I could never justify the cost for Crossfit. I go to the World Gym on 747, $20/mo for an awesome midsize gym with all the equipment you could want. It's run by a married couple who were former pro bodybuilders, a lot of local semipro and amateur bodybuilders work out there. There's something to aspire to every time you walk in there, I love it. They're adding Crossfit classes as well.

I did a week of Crossfit....3 classes and it totally was not for me.  The form that they show is horrible.  It's all about momentum.  I wasn't sore at all, but the pace was rough and it did wear me out.  I'm pretty jacked up now, I have been eating clean since April and have went from 225 to 173, I just prefer the Arnold method of working out.  I like the controlled movements with focus on a certain muscle and crushing that muscle.  My diehard cross fit friends that have been doing it for 6+ months are finally starting to realize that some muscle groups are falling behind.  Don't get me wrong those dudes are pretty strong and their cores are crazy...but I prefer going to the gym and cranking out 225 35 times and feel my chest explode.  I wouldn't mind doing crossfit every now and then, but I can't justify paying $125 a month, when I am paying $16 a month for my gym.  One thing I have to give it props for....is the hot ass chicks that do it....YIKES boys.

I saw a video of a chick who was doing pull ups but she was swinging like a monkey. She was probably training for a competition. In competitions, of course you aren't really focused on form and forcing blood into the muscle as you are getting reps however you can.

Those are called kipping pull ups (though if you were watching a competitor she was probably doing butterfly pull ups), they are done that way so you can get more of them but also because they work out your core in addition to your upper body strength (granted you don't get as much upper body as you do from a dead hang pull up)

So for instance when I say you get more of them done, we have a Hero Workout called "Murph" that we do on Memorial Day every year which is

1 mile run

100 pull ups

200 push ups

300 air squats

1 mile run

With a 25lb vest

I "scaled it" and did it without the vest (though I did hand release pushup as opposed to normal pushups which makes the push up harder) next year ill do it with the vest but this was the first time I had done murph so...

I finished it in 48:22

Nobody gets that done in that time doing a normal dead hang pull up

Well top athletes maybe...

I saw a video of a chick who was doing pull ups but she was swinging like a monkey. She was probably training for a competition. In competitions, of course you aren't really focused on form and forcing blood into the muscle as you are getting reps however you can.

These dudes that own the place I went compete nationally. It's all about reps. They're beast at what they do, I'll give them that. But I want to feel my muscles rush with blood and pump. I workout to get strong and look good. I think traditional working out gives you better results than crossfit aesthetically. I was just as ripped as the trainers if not more and do zero cardio.

On a side note I've heard about the Murph...it's a killer from what my boys told me. Crossfit definitely gives you the total body and cardio workout.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't like it dude... it seems like when you could be gaining muscle in your back, you're just focusing on your bench. Or is this just a workout that you put into your regular routine to improve your bench?

I agree, it's cool to put a bunch of weight in front of people, but it's not worth it. I've been up to 330x2 on the bench and only weighed 190 pounds at 5'10". My joints were KILLING me - but it was cool as hell to outbench dudes that outweighed me by 30 pounds. I backed off the heavy and went with a heavy circuit.

Flat BB Bench x15
Incline BB x10

don't stop in between the two, superset them - a real superset. No breaks... jump right into it.

Take you about 45 seconds and do it again. Do that 4 times around...

3 times:

Incline DB x 15
Incline DB Fly x10

then

3 times:

Pec-Dec x15
Cables (bring them down to hit lower pecs) x10

***I will often make that second set of whatever heavy and hit between 5-6 reps. I can't get the heavy reps totally out of the system yet.

You'll be done in 45-50 minutes. Not only do you build muscle during the workout but it's somewhat a cardio too. I feel like a machine... only been on it for 4 weeks. Joints are pain free (except one shoulder and knee, they'll always hurt from previous injury). Maybe it's from this crap I'm taking, maybe it's from my diet, maybe it's from this... but I've gained a couple pounds in the past 4 weeks.

It is the best decision I've made regarding lifting.

This must have been the time of when I grew a vagina and became a bitch.

Archived