Workout Routine

TheBeaverHunter

I just don't want to reach a point where I"m consistently breaking down muscle rather than fat.  

I was only at about 1600 calories yesterday, which is a good 900 less than recommended, and that was with making myself have seconds at dinner just get to that point.  

Like I said, its not as if I'm starving, just that the stuff I'm eating isn't high in calories.  I usually eat 5-6 times a day, but unless I eat a big lunch, outside of dinner those "meals" are only anywhere from 80 to 200 calories.

Hence looking for some more ideas.  

Let your body dictate to you.....you don't have to meet a certain number of calories for the sake of meeting a number.  If your body is happy...who are you to override it's information? 

And Orange N Black.....I cringed reading your suggestions.   Chocolate milk?  Milk?  Peanut butter?  Come one man....dude's trying to lose weight and become healthy.  There is nothing health forming about pasteurized store milk, choc milk etc...rather creates allergens in your system.  We lack the enzyme necessary (after about age 5 or so) to digest milk.....it does nothing but cause inflammation in your gut.  

If you want to get extra calories.....if you're set on this, then you want healthy foods as the calories vs choc milk or peanut butter.   Go to a whole foods, get a freshly ground bottle of almond butter....you can do it yourself using organic almonds.  It contains calories and healthy fats.   Almonds are alkalizing.  Health forming.  You don't want to forego your digestive health because if you continue to do so, your digestive system won't function properly, equaling less absorption, less elimination, more retention, more unnecessary weight......not only unnecessary, but toxic as hell. 

If you go back and read the things people have taken the time to write out for you, you will see plenty of choices for good calories.   Avocado being among the best as Elflocko has pointed out.  Almonds, pistacchio, walnuts, pecans, apple slices dipped in almond butter.  Go grab a bag of blue corn chips, gluten free from Kroger and make some guacamole and snack on that if you feel hungry. 

If you find yourself feeling hungry, that's when your body is wanting, needing food.  Nourish it at that time but don't eat for the sake of eating, that would be my advice.  Drink a big glass of good water, allow your body to work its magic. 

If you cut out gluten (wheat, barley, rye) containing foods, you will shed weight like you wouldn't believe and there will be less inflammation within your gut, which is HUGE.    

We're going to have to chalk this one up to difference in philosophy, Khat. Milk, peanut butter, etc. are huge diet staples in the body building and fitness community, particularly for people who are trying to add calories. GOMAD is a very common diet for underweight, inexperienced weightlifters because it piles a lot of calories and protein into a relatively small serving size. 1181 asked for ways to up his calories, so I provided some very common examples. 

If you control your calories and macros, you will lose weight, period - that's why I qualified my suggestions as such. There's nothing magic about it. 

EDIT: Just to add, I noted this quote:

If your body is happy...who are you to override it's information?

That's the point, isn't it? The body is resistant to change - homeostasis. If we want to promote change, we have to induce it. Eating fewer calories than your body would otherwise desire leads to weight loss. Advising someone who wants to lose weight to ignore their specific caloric intake is not a good idea. 

• 3 months later...

Finally tried Crossfit & wow was I wrong I love it, I have seen the light. I just ran the Marine Corp Historic Half Marathon this past Sunday, figured why not try it now and wow do I like it. I'm feeling it my legs from the half & leg WOD, but loving it

Finally tried Crossfit & wow was I wrong I love it, I have seen the light. I just ran the Marine Corp Historic Half Marathon this past Sunday, figured why not try it now and wow do I like it. I'm feeling it my legs from the half & leg WOD, but loving it

:lol:

Welcome to the cult.

You gonna do Murph this weekend?

I plan on doing it with the 25lb vest this year.

Wait the historic half down in Fredricksburgh VA?

Where do you live?

What box did you go to?

Yeah I did that one, was fun hilly course. I currently live in Augusta, GA I got family in Nova I had to come up for interviews and other stuff it worked out perfectly was able to knock it all out, moved down here in April. I goto the Underbox here in Augusta, Ga I know the people that own it, they just opened up. 

• 4 months later...

Khat or anyone:

I am dealing with shoulder impingement.  Holy shit this sucks.  Anyone have experience with it?  I've found some exercises online to help it.  I can't afford PT, so thats kind of out of the picture.  Doing a lot of icing.  Really trying to stretch it out. Just starting to do shoulder dislocations everyday. I'm trying to get the inflammation to go down which from what I have read about is pretty deep down in the muscle.  Does my diet have anything to do with this (which is somewhat clean)?  I've been dealing with it for about 6 months and will do anything to be able to do heavy push exercises again.

Should I try to do shoulder/rotator cuff exercises every day?  Or is that counterproductive?  

JC, this is out of my area of expertise...sorry bro.  But foods can help to reduce inflammation, that's for sure.  Turmeric is great at reducing joint pain, you can buy some ground turmeric from somewhere, add it to warm coconut or almond milk and drink straight like that.  You want to heat the turmeric though, thus the warm milk.   I can send you a list of good foods for this purpose if you'd like.....let me know.   

JC, this is out of my area of expertise...sorry bro.  But foods can help to reduce inflammation, that's for sure.  Turmeric is great at reducing joint pain, you can buy some ground turmeric from somewhere, add it to warm coconut or almond milk and drink straight like that.  You want to heat the turmeric though, thus the warm milk.   I can send you a list of good foods for this purpose if you'd like.....let me know.   

No worries man.  I figured I'd try and since it dealt with inflammation, I thought you may know something.  Would eating non-inflammatory food help inflammation in deep tissue go down?  Like I said, I'm willing to do anything at this point.  A list would be great if you think it would help.

Currently during the week I eat:

Cereal

Banana

greek yogurt

lunch meat on whole wheat thin sliced bagel

beef jerky

carrots

peanut butter crackers

(dinner consists of)

Baked chicken

Turkey burger

eggs/egg whites

Have two protein shakes every day with a little bit of milk in both.  My stomach is pretty weird.  I have some really bad reactions to certain foods at times.  I used to be able to take my shake sans milk to save calories but eventually i started feeling so crummy I had to put some milk in there.  Weekends I get off track a little.  For right now, since Sam Adams Oktoberfest is out, I indulge in those on the weekends, but not really to the point where I become intoxicated.  Will cut down on alcohol big time once that goes out of stock.

yeah no idea with regard to this, I would suggest if you can that you at least see a doc about it

Yeah, I've seen two.  First one told me shoulder spasms, which I didn't really believe.  Put me on a painkiller.  Never went away.  Saw a doc that specializes in sports medicine and he did x-ray and ultrasound and I've got some impingement.  Got a cortisone shot.  Started feeling better for awhile and while it's not as bad as it was, it still bothers me.  Went back and he referred me to some PT, but insurance doesn't cover it until it reach $1,000 and then it only covers 70%.  First session would have been $500 AKA way too f'ing much.  Found some shoulder strengthening exercises online from people that have dealt with it.  Going to try that route before I go back.

No worries man.  I figured I'd try and since it dealt with inflammation, I thought you may know something.  Would eating non-inflammatory food help inflammation in deep tissue go down?  Like I said, I'm willing to do anything at this point.  A list would be great if you think it would help.

Currently during the week I eat:

Cereal

Banana

greek yogurt

lunch meat on whole wheat thin sliced bagel

beef jerky

carrots

peanut butter crackers

(dinner consists of)

Baked chicken

Turkey burger

eggs/egg whites

Have two protein shakes every day with a little bit of milk in both.  My stomach is pretty weird.  I have some really bad reactions to certain foods at times.  I used to be able to take my shake sans milk to save calories but eventually i started feeling so crummy I had to put some milk in there.  Weekends I get off track a little.  For right now, since Sam Adams Oktoberfest is out, I indulge in those on the weekends, but not really to the point where I become intoxicated.  Will cut down on alcohol big time once that goes out of stock.

You're going to have to rest it from what I've read.  (limited reading I did out of curiosity).  Foods will help, hurt your body's ability to heal and reduce inflammation naturally so staying on a good diet is very good as a supplement.  Greek yogurt, beef jerkey, peanut butter crackers, cereal, lunch meat on whole wheat bagel......those things are actually anti health.....greek yogurt is made from pasteurized dairy, has sugars from the fake fruit added to it ....both pasteurized dairy and sugars inflame your body.  Peanut butter crackers have no nourishment in them.  Peanut butter in those things is laced with added B.S. and the crackers themselves are poison, literally, to your body.  Lunch meats are some of the worst things you can consume and when you put it on a gluten filled wheat bagel......well that's all stuff that adds inflammation to your body.  

Poop.  That's pretty much my entire lunch lol.  I could do eggs/egg white with tuna if you think that would be better.  I need some carbs for before my workouts as well, and thats why I kind of turned to the crackers.  I'll stop purchasing those once I run out.  Any high protein idea's to help me replace some of that?

I am going to take time off from any kind of bench press as much as it might suck.  I'm going to continue to do lowerbody without restrictions.  I've read strengthening the lats and rear delts is a good way to help the shoulder so I'll do that.  I'll probably keep some light shoulder/RC exercises in there to try to fix it.

This sucks so bad I wouldn't wish it on Hines Ward.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.sfgate.com/health/article/Body-weight-training-projected-as-top-fitness-5867118.php

If you’re thinking of trying a new fitness craze in 2015, get ready for push-ups, planks, lunges and squats. This type of training, which uses your own body weight for resistance, is projected to be the top fitness trend in the coming year, according to a report from the American College of Sports Medicine.

Body weight training, which first made the top 20 list in fitness trends two years ago, doesn’t require equipment and can be done at home, making it accessible to the masses, the report says.

These are the college’s ninth annual fitness trend rankings, published in the Health and Fitness Journal. They’re based on survey responses of more than 3,400 personal trainers, fitness instructors, doctors and exercise experts around the world.

Body weight training takes over the No.1 spot from this year’s champ, high-intensity interval training, which involves short bursts of intensive cardio exercise followed by short periods of rest. Though high-intensity interval training has fallen to second, some survey respondents questioned whether this training has staying power because it’s been linked to more injuries than less-intensive activities.

• 9 months later...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/in-the-nations-capital-a-new-business-to-regulate-dcs-personal-trainers/2015/08/23/f86bb0b8-3a1b-11e5-8e98-115a3cf7d7ae_story.html

After decades of unregulated existence in all 50 states, the booming field of personal trainers is braced for a wave of scrutiny that is expected to transform the industry and could make or break some of the biggest fitness companies in the country.

The new regulations, being written by and for the nation’s capital city, will create a registry of all personal trainers in the District only. But they are expected to become a model that winners and losers in the fight believe will be replicated elsewhere.

The credit — or blame — for the newfound urgency can be traced in part to President Obama’s Affordable Care Act. A variety of workplace wellness programs and preventive health-care initiatives called for in the law could soon translate into rivers of billable hours for those with credentials to keep American waistlines in check.

And that means the race is on to be eligible for those credentials, which could eventually lead to the ability to bill insurance companies for services, much like such professionals as dieticians and physical therapists. With billions of dollars potentially at stake, lawyers and lobbyists are engaged in a no-holds-barred fight to shape the nation’s first-ever rules over who has the right to tell someone else how to exercise.

The problem for personal trainers is that no standards currently exist. Instead, dozens of competing descriptions have been written by gym owners, for-profit training companies and self-proclaimed fitness experts. There are even competing organizations that certify competing tests.

• 5 months later...

Anyone ever try an ECA stack?  Just fractured my foot and I'm going to be looking at doing no cardio for awhile but I'm still trying to lean out.  Just curious.  Also, is it possible to get bronkaid/primatene in Ohio?  I didn't think it was, but see this shit selling for 45 bucks a pack on ebay.  Wanting to make sure I can't mosey down to Walmart and grab a box without looking like I'm trying to become the next Walter White.

Archived