Workout Routine

TheBeaverHunter

• 4 weeks later...

for those health nuts out there, which is better, calories burned or feeling of exhaustion?

For example, I can hop on the exercise bike for well over an hour, burn a ton of calories, and feel relatively fine afterward.  Conversely, 15 minutes on the treadmill can kick my ass but only burn half of the calories I would on the bike in the same timeframe.

So what's better, calorie burning or exhaustion?

for those health nuts out there, which is better, calories burned or feeling of exhaustion?

For example, I can hop on the exercise bike for well over an hour, burn a ton of calories, and feel relatively fine afterward.  Conversely, 15 minutes on the treadmill can kick my ass but only burn half of the calories I would on the bike in the same timeframe.

So what's better, calorie burning or exhaustion?

Depends on your goal. Are you training for something? Or trying to lose weight? If you're training, you want to work as hard as possible (without hurting yourself) and eat a ton. If you're trying to lose weight, you need to eat less calories than you burn. 

In reality all changes are made in the kitchen, not in the gym. You can lift weights all day every day but you won't gain strength or muscle if you don't eat enough. And you cannot outwork a bad diet if you're trying to slim down. 

I would personally ignore the calorie counters on the machines and do what exercise fit my goals.

Depends on your goal. Are you training for something? Or trying to lose weight? If you're training, you want to work as hard as possible (without hurting yourself) and eat a ton. If you're trying to lose weight, you need to eat less calories than you burn. 

In reality all changes are made in the kitchen, not in the gym. You can lift weights all day every day but you won't gain strength or muscle if you don't eat enough. And you cannot outwork a bad diet if you're trying to slim down. 

I would personally ignore the calorie counters on the machines and do what exercise fit my goals.

well yea I get all that, just trying to figure out which is more effective as far as weight loss.

I try to mix it up for the most part.  Lifting, bike, treadmill, situps, planking, and I also get a nice little workout from Wii Boxing believe it or not.  Also the diet aspect.

well yea I get all that, just trying to figure out which is more effective as far as weight loss.

I try to mix it up for the most part.  Lifting, bike, treadmill, situps, planking, and I also get a nice little workout from Wii Boxing believe it or not.  Also the diet aspect.

If your goal is weight loss you want to burn more calories. However, you really don't burn that many calories in a given workout. A really good weightlifting session might burn 300cal. Not a whole lot when you need a 500cal daily deficit to lose 1lb a week. And cardio is a really inefficient way to burn calories. People have different preferences though, so honestly the most effective workout is the one you like to do the most. But if you don't eat a caloric deficit, you won't lose weight if you run 10 miles a day.

Cutting right now training for my first half marathon. Running to me is effortless and fun, did my first 10 mile race last month the Navy Classic in Augusta, GA it was a blast! I've gotten a lot better on my diet, soda is my weakness I weaning myself off it with chai tea

I'm training for another Tough Mudder right now so I'm eating a fuckload. It sucks. I can't wait to start cutting again.

Tought mudder isnt that bad, just long, a few obstacles are tough but overall its not that hard. Oh wait you said another...

I dont have anything Im training for at the moment having just finished the one of the biggest crossfit team competitions on the east coast. Kind of weird not training for something.

Tought mudder isnt that bad, just long, a few obstacles are tough but overall its not that hard. Oh wait you said another...

I dont have anything Im training for at the moment having just finished the one of the biggest crossfit team competitions on the east coast. Kind of weird not training for something.

I added a lot more running to my usual strength routine, so I'm eating about 3300kcal a day. I mostly hate running and it was my biggest weakness last time I ran a Mudder. But if I don't stuff my face I have a lot of trouble recovering, since I'm working my legs basically every day.

I'm trying to get into a serious lifting routine for the first time ever. I really could use a lifting partner though. I can do cardio for days, but my motivation to lift is crap.

Don't know how much info you have, but I highly recommend reading the Reddit /r/fitness FAQ. It has literally everything you need to know to get started.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/wiki/faq

I added a lot more running to my usual strength routine, so I'm eating about 3300kcal a day. I mostly hate running and it was my biggest weakness last time I ran a Mudder. But if I don't stuff my face I have a lot of trouble recovering, since I'm working my legs basically every day.

Do you do fish oil?

1181, I would do whatever is the hardest. Sounds horrible, I know, but if it's hard, you're working. I'm not a big bike guy; I'd go treadmill. But if you're just trying to lose weight, eat better. Weight Watchers works. My mom shed 80 pounds with it.

I did a boot camp class last night (I usually don't do these things, I'm a lifter, but for what I want to accomplish, I need to do things I don't normally like) and it killed me. I lasted 48 minutes and called it quits. It was an hour class... I'm like CP!!

1181, I would do whatever is the hardest. Sounds horrible, I know, but if it's hard, you're working. I'm not a big bike guy; I'd go treadmill. But if you're just trying to lose weight, eat better. Weight Watchers works. My mom shed 80 pounds with it.

I did a boot camp class last night (I usually don't do these things, I'm a lifter, but for what I want to accomplish, I need to do things I don't normally like) and it killed me. I lasted 48 minutes and called it quits. It was an hour class... I'm like CP!!

haha I think that's likely true.  I'm hoping to keep a mix of everything, but was just wondering if one should dominate my time more than another.  

Do people mix up their calorie intake so that your body doesn't adjust, or try to keep a consistent number?

haha I think that's likely true.  I'm hoping to keep a mix of everything, but was just wondering if one should dominate my time more than another.  

Do people mix up their calorie intake so that your body doesn't adjust, or try to keep a consistent number?

Your body doesn't really "adjust" to calorie intake - the amount you burn per day is based on your height/weight, body fat percentage, and total activity. Weight and BF% combine to give what is called Basal Metabolic Rate, or BMR - this is the amount of calories you burn just by existing. If you sat on the couch all day long and didn't move you would still burn your BMR (so yes, it's possible to lose weight without actually exercising). Total activity includes everything you do physically from moving around to climbing stairs to working out. The sum of all these calories is called Total Daily Energy Expenditure, or TDEE.

There are tons of calculators online that will give a ballpark estimate of your TDEE - just google "TDEE calculator." Take that TDEE estimate, track everything you eat, and eat 500cal less than that number every day. A 3500cal total deficit is needed to burn 1 lb of fat, so -500cal a day = 1 lb weight loss per week. Weigh yourself consistently, then evaluate after a few weeks - if you lost more or less you can use that weight loss rate to zero in on what your real TDEE is. You can go a little bigger deficit if you want to lose weight faster, but 500cal is a pretty widely used number. If your deficit is too big, your body will burn muscle before fat. Also, if you start a new workout program, you tend to lose a lot in the first few weeks due to retained water weight and a few other factors.

Whatever you've heard about metabolism contributing to ease of weight loss - forgettaboutit, the total variation in metabolic rate in healthy adults is only about 5%. It really is mainly about food.

TL;DR for your question, find your TDEE and eat 500cal less. The calculators usually average it out across a week time period, so you would eat the same number of calories every day. Once you have some weeks of data you can adjust it. 

Tigris is correct, whichever method 'kicks your ass', you want to continue because your body is working.....and the exhaustion is proof.  Here are a few tips, feel free to PM any questions or ask here if you prefer. 

If you're overweight, significantly, I'd recommend the following:

Run on treadmill for at least 20 mins after a 5 min walk warm up, but make sure you haven't eaten anything in 3.5 - 4 hrs.  This way, your body is burning strictly stored energy (fat) to power you.  Ensure you're properly hydrated by drinking LOTS of water.  Not tap water either....that shit's poison. 

After you've done this a few times and have worked up a little endurance to it, start interval training at the end.  For 30 seconds, run as fast as you can then rest by walking for 1 min 30 secs.   So....5 mins warm up, 20 mins jogging on treadmill at a steady, comfortable pace...doesn't matter if that's 3.5 on the treadmill....let your body dictate how fast/slow you would like to go....then at the end of 20 mins jogging, run as hard as you can for 30 secs, rest by walking for 1.5 mins then another interval.  I'd probably start with 1 interval one week, next week move on to 2 intervals or 3 intervals at end until you can work yourself up to doing 7 all out exertions at the end of your 20 mins.   You just may burn close to 600 calories doing this when you move up to the higher number of sprints at end.   Fastest way to lose weight IMO. 

A current client of mine has gone from 285 lbs to 215 lbs by doing the following:

He'll warm up on treadmill, get oxygen moving to body then jog for 30 mins.  Immediately after the jog, he starts to lift.  He doesn't take any breaks between sets but ensures he's working different muscle groups as to not hurt himself.  Works out a total of 1 hr or so every other day.   He's lost 70 lbs in 9 months now.    Before, you would mistake him for a Golden Corral addict....whereas now when he walks in to the gym, ladies take notice.   He's transformed his body by this lifting routine and the dietary changes I've suggested for him. 

General changes to help anyone lose weight/become healthier:

-Cut out all carbonated drinks....IMMEDIATELY.

-Start the day with a fiber rich breakfast, helping to control appetite throughout the day.

-Drink LOTS of water

-Incorporate healthy fats into your diet...i.e...avocado, almonds (and other healthy nuts.....no homo), hemp seeds (one of most nutrient dense foods found, with protein that's easily absorbed by the body), extra virgin olive oil, extra virgin coconut oil etc.....eliminate vegetable oils, they're poison. 

-Reduce/eliminate intake of enriched flour, even rice isn't good for you, at all.  The body knows not how to process it as all its nutrients have been stripped.  Brown/wild rice should be option.  Quinoa is a healthy substitute for rice, packed with nutrients, amino acids.  Has complete amino acid profile. 

-Become more active in general

And in regards to your caloric intake so your body doesn't adjust....IMO the stomach is one area you don't want to 'shock'....ever.  Eat plenty of nourishing foods and it won't matter what your caloric intake is....it will become energy and you will burn it off. 

Good luck man. 

Good stuff.

Ive changed my diet up a little bit to add in carbs before and after my workouts then but paleo otherwise, the carbs from what ive read are supposed to help fuel and recover from the workouts.

Nutrient timing is a bit of a pseudoscience from what I've seen -  but if it works for you, it works. Fitness is super hard to generalize. I find that as long as you eat enough, sleep enough, and work a plan that fits your goals, 90% of the battles are won. The rest is just min/maxing. 

And Khat - agreed on all except the last! You cannot outwork a caloric excess if weight loss is the goal, period. 

Just to expound on the last point (and as an FYI if you're interested) - the body doesn't convert food mass directly into energy. We aren't nuclear reactors. The body breaks down carbohydrates, fats, and occasionally proteins into glucose, which cells burn to produce small amounts of energy (calories!) in a chemical reaction. The vast majority of that mass is still present after the reaction, in the form of…. carbon dioxide and water. Two of the primary mechanisms of weight loss are breathing and pissing. 

The idea then is to force the body to burn the glucose stored within body fat, instead of that taken in from food. That can only happen when the net calories produced from consuming food are less than the body requires to function across a given period of time. The calories listed on your food are fairly accurate estimates of the net calories you get once you have completely processed and burned the product glucose from the food. A calorie is simply a unit of energy - there are no "fat calories" or "empty calories" (though the SOURCE of that calorie may have other health effects). 

EDIT: Just to give you an idea...

1 thermochemical calorie = 4.184J. A calorie as we know it in food is actually a kilocalorie, so 1kcal = 4184J. If we hold E=mc^2 to be true, we have 4184J = m(299792458m/s)^2 where m is the mass consumed every time your body produces one kcal. m = 4184/(299792458)^2 = a really fucking small number.

EDIT: Just to give you an idea...

1 thermochemical calorie = 4.184J. A calorie as we know it in food is actually a kilocalorie, so 1kcal = 4184J. If we hold E=mc^2 to be true, we have 4184J = m(299792458m/s)^2 where m is the mass consumed every time your body produces one kcal. m = 4184/(299792458)^2 = a really fucking small number.

Oh, okay, I get it now......

:)

Nutrient timing is a bit of a pseudoscience from what I've seen -  but if it works for you, it works. Fitness is super hard to generalize. I find that as long as you eat enough, sleep enough, and work a plan that fits your goals, 90% of the battles are won. The rest is just min/maxing. 

And Khat - agreed on all except the last! You cannot outwork a caloric excess if weight loss is the goal, period. 

You can if those calories become immediate energy, short and medium chained fatty acids...as found in good fatty foods.   I agree with your point in general, but if eating the foods that are recommended, doesn't matter how much you eat.   At all :)    Results bear this out.  The thing is though, that when your body is nourished....you won't want to overeat as your bodies needs are being met.  There is no craving after a week/2 wks or so of 'clean' eating.  

That's why I say you can eat whatever amount of GOOD FOODS that you like....after a week or 2, your body will adjust automatically and your intake will only be what's required. 

Your body is a wonderful thing, miraculous even.   Keep a diverse, nourishing diet...and eat all you want.   But you have to also realize this is said within reason.  You don't want to overburden your digestive system.  No Nutritionist is going to tell a client to "eat how ever much you want" without qualifying the statement....which I should have done and expounded on.  The approach has to be a holistic one......nothing in your body works independently...it's all a part of a fantastic system.   The Digestive System is the most important in the body.....immune system is based in gut, gut has more nerve endings than your brain.   Gut feelings are called so as the gut is also called your 2nd brain.  All this should lead one to realize that gut health has to be a priority.   The priority.  

Archived