Workout Routine

TheBeaverHunter

Here is my slightly-informed $.02. If you can do cardio at any other point in time it would be far superior. Example; aerobic in the am, anaerobic in the pm. Even something simple like flipping the two would probably net you better results. Run, then lift. Also, try taking whey as soon as you wake up, then eat something ASAP. Save the casein for when you know you'll be without food for awhile or night time. Also, casein tastes like ass.

This - I browse fitness forums and the fitness subreddit when I'm bored at work, general consensus seems to be it's best to split cardio and lifting up. Different times of day if not separate days altogether. I can't tell you exactly why. I personally don't feel like doing shit else after a good lifting session - and my lifts aren't as good if I do a bunch of cardio beforehand - so that's what I do.

My friend use to run in the mornings and lifted at night.

Cut. To. Shreds.

Looked like Anquan Boldin.

Cardio in the morning on an empty stomach is the best by far.  I have quite a few bodybuilding friends and when they start their prep mode they do this.  45 minute in the morning 4-5 times a week.  Of course their diet is spot on and they get crazy results.

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any experience with carb cycling?  I'm looking to cut up more but continue to keep my strength.  I suppose I could do this by just adding more cardio to my daily routine, but I have trouble finishing my workout with it..

Anyone have any experience with carb cycling?  I'm looking to cut up more but continue to keep my strength.  I suppose I could do this by just adding more cardio to my daily routine, but I have trouble finishing my workout with it..

I have not. I'm pounding th carbs now though trying to gain some weight. And it's amazing!!

I have not. I'm pounding th carbs now though trying to gain some weight. And it's amazing!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've done the Warrior Dash (easy) and the  the Tough Mudder (not horrible)

This is in a whole other world.

It was 11 hours of a complete mind fuck.

An event run by current and former special forces guys.

I've done the Warrior Dash (easy) and the  the Tough Mudder (not horrible)

This is in a whole other world.

It was 11 hours of a complete mind fuck.

An event run by current and former special forces guys.

They would be good for zombie apocalypse training.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/24/i-lost-weight-john-m-brown_n_3496994.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009&utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

Name: John M. Brown
Height: 6'1"
Before Weight: 370 pounds

How I Gained It: For as long as I can remember I have been overweight. As a child I never thought I was inactive. I played baseball, rode bikes. I was always outside with my friends. It was my diet that led me to be overweight. I would consume pizza, fast food, chips, cookies and everything else under the sun. It really got out of control when I got my license. I had a job and a car, so I could buy anything I wanted to eat. It was like this through high school and college, and continued after I got a job on a tugboat, which can be a very sedentary lifestyle. There is not much walking around on a 100-foot boat. With access to all of the boat’s food, I was eating a lot with not much exercise. I work on the boat for three weeks, and then I am home for three weeks. I spent my time at home sleeping, eating and drinking. That was all I did.

Breaking Point: I had always thought about losing weight but never gave it a fair try. I thought about it every day. The hardest part for me was trying to find clothes. I would have to order them online or go to big and tall stores. There are only so many styles at those stores, and I definitely didn't like many of them. On January 1, 2012, I decided I needed to change, not just to be able to buy nicer clothes, but for my health. The U.S. Coast Guard has been cracking down on BMIs in the industry. I had my annual physical coming up in March 2012. I figured if I jumped into a healthier lifestyle I would have three months to shed some weight.

How I Lost It: My close friend Ryan suggested I read a book by the name of Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson about the paleo lifestyle. I figured I could eat meat and veggies and be happy with it. After diving headfirst into the book, I adopted a paleo way of eating. I found it to be very easy, and read every paleo book I could get my hands on. By my March physical, I had lost 40 pounds with little effort. In fact, my doctor and nurse were shocked when I walked in. I decided to hold off on exercise while I focused on my diet. By September, I was down 100 pounds! I started to exercise after that.

Isn't paleo the same as Atkins diet for the most part? Low carbs???

Not completely no, you can eat carbs on paleo from things like Sweet Potatoes. It's more concern you get your carbs from good carb sources, as opposed to bad ones. (though if your trying to lose weight, as opposed to get better in the gym, you want to keep your carbs low)

Paleo is concern with the quality of foods you eat, and where they came from if your really strict about it, for instance Atkins doesn't care about what kind of meat you eat, it could be factory farmed, GMO, pesticide ridden, corn fed, beef. Paleo at minium suggests you only eat lean cuts of beef, and if your super strict, grass fed local farmed beef. I'm somewhere between lax and super strict in that most of my beef is grass fed, but isnt nessasarly local as I get it from Whole Foods.

Atkins also is ok with vegtible oils, Paleo suggests staying away from them because they have too many Omega 6 fatty acids, they sugget cooking with Coconut oil (skins I know you arent a fan of coconut, but cooking with it doesnt make your food taste like it, if you decide to give Paleo a go)

Atkins is ok with things like Splenda, Paleo doesnt want you doing anything that would spike your blood sugar & insulin levels.

Atkins is ok with grains (ie: bread, ect), Paleo is not (there is a whole book called wheat bellies that suggests wheat is a big reason why we stay fat)

In short Paleo is a lot more "clean" of a diet than Atkins is.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure if that's it entirely, it is eating carbs before a workout and apparently right after too.

We're about to do another Paleo challenge at my box but this one isn't going to be as strict in that there will be some of us who are looking to get performance gains as opposed to lose weight doing carb back loading.

I'm only starting to read about it and signed up for this website to get as much detail as I can, but wondered if any one else has done it here.

http://eattoperform.com/

• 4 weeks later...
The gym I use to be at had classes for kids. It was just basically moving around but they'd try to make it fun. No one is gonna ask a 3-4 year old to squat a bar or anything. I like it. Better than them sitting at home eating fish sticks and French fries all day. I'd send my kids.

• 1 month later...

Archived