Workout Routine

TheBeaverHunter

You can if those calories become immediate energy, short and medium chained fatty acids...as found in good fatty foods.   I agree with your point in general, but if eating the foods that are recommended, doesn't matter how much you eat.   At all :)    Results bear this out.  The thing is though, that when your body is nourished....you won't want to overeat as your bodies needs are being met.  There is no craving after a week/2 wks or so of 'clean' eating.  

That's why I say you can eat whatever amount of GOOD FOODS that you like....after a week or 2, your body will adjust automatically and your intake will only be what's required. 

Your body is a wonderful thing, miraculous even.   Keep a diverse, nourishing diet...and eat all you want.   But you have to also realize this is said within reason.  You don't want to overburden your digestive system.  No Nutritionist is going to tell a client to "eat how ever much you want" without qualifying the statement....which I should have done and expounded on.  The approach has to be a holistic one......nothing in your body works independently...it's all a part of a fantastic system.   The Digestive System is the most important in the body.....immune system is based in gut, gut has more nerve endings than your brain.   Gut feelings are called so as the gut is also called your 2nd brain.  All this should lead one to realize that gut health has to be a priority.   The priority.  

I can attest this is absolutely true.

As well as the rest of it...

Christ.  Where do you guys learn stuff like this?  I know this kind of thing wasn't taught in my science classes.

I'm getting ready to do a cutting diet and it looks like I'm going to be consuming about 1900 calories at my current weight.  Lets call it 2000, because I spent a lot of time at the gym every day and it is mostly weight training.  I don't want to burn off the muscle I have put on the past two months, which has been quite a bit.  

From what I have read online: 1900 calories.  I need to get about 1-2 G of protein per my 180 pounds.  20% of this needs to be through healthy fats.  The rest from carbs or something to that effect.  I took excerpts from this article---->http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek88.htm .

Does this sound about right?  

I have healthy fats listed as: olive oil, seaseme oil, avacados, fish, fish oil, leafy vegetables, almonds, various nuts (LULZ).  Anything I am missing or wrong on?

Carbs: Rice, beans, yams, whole grain bread, potatoes, granola.  Any other real good ones? 

As for protein, I take 3 shakes at 26 g of protein a day.  Probably will have some kind of chicken at some point during the day.  I know talapia and salmon are good sources.  May eat scrambled eggs for breakfast every day.  Any other really good choices?

Sorry didnt meant to just drop and leave with the link. That website is used by tons of CFers to include Elizabeth Akinwale who is one of the top CFers in the world and is always at the CF games. Mike T Nelson wrote the Metobolic flexibility for fat loss, he

Michael T Nelson, MS CSCS, RKC is a PhD Candidate in Kinesiology

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoD0z_zxl1s

Without giving my copy of the book away, the basic idea is 

Basic Idea of Metabolic Flexibility
To help you understand the basic idea of metabolic flexibility, remember these two
simple facts:

Under high intensity exercise ---> use carbs
 Under lower intensity exercise ---> use fats

We can push this a bit by altering insulin levels. Insulin is probably the one hormone under the most control through nutrition.

Increased insulin ---> use carb metabolism for high intensity exercise
 Low insulin ---> burn more fat during low and moderate intensity exercise

This is definitely not a fly by night website, elite athletes are doing this stuff.

Christ.  Where do you guys learn stuff like this?  I know this kind of thing wasn't taught in my science classes.

I'm getting ready to do a cutting diet and it looks like I'm going to be consuming about 1900 calories at my current weight.  Lets call it 2000, because I spent a lot of time at the gym every day and it is mostly weight training.  I don't want to burn off the muscle I have put on the past two months, which has been quite a bit.  

From what I have read online: 1900 calories.  I need to get about 1-2 G of protein per my 180 pounds.  20% of this needs to be through healthy fats.  The rest from carbs or something to that effect.  I took excerpts from this article---->http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek88.htm .

Does this sound about right?  

I have healthy fats listed as: olive oil, seaseme oil, avacados, fish, fish oil, leafy vegetables, almonds, various nuts (LULZ).  Anything I am missing or wrong on?

Carbs: Rice, beans, yams, whole grain bread, potatoes, granola.  Any other real good ones? 

As for protein, I take 3 shakes at 26 g of protein a day.  Probably will have some kind of chicken at some point during the day.  I know talapia and salmon are good sources.  May eat scrambled eggs for breakfast every day.  Any other really good choices?

You have your healthy fats correct....except extra virgin is key with oils...least processing the better.   Sesame oil I'm not too sure about though.....For eggs, make sure they're not store bought eggs for the most part as they aren't healthy based on the treatment of the hens as well as the shit that's injected into them.  Get good eggs from a farmer or go to Findlay Market downtown on the weekends and stock up on local, quality, health forming eggs.   If you can find some good quality butter...preferably raw, that's ideal.   One of the best fats out there and helps in assimilation of so many other nutrients.  Coconut oil, for as 'heavy' as it is, will cause you to lose weight.   It regulates thyroid function, helps digestion.....wide range of benefits. 

Fish is a good option but you have to ensure it's not farmed fish.  Just like everything....it's teh source the food is coming from that is most important.   Same with fish oils.....make sure they're minimally processed and from chemical free fish.   Krill oil is what I would recommend for those who currently take fish oil.  

Eat a fiber rich breakfast to help you avoid overeating in the day, especially if you're cutting. 

Sorry not very comprehensive, sick as shit right now so not feeling very attentive. 

Yeah Coconut oil is all I use to cook with.

Not tried the Krill, I'm using liquid fish oil from here, expensive yes but most fish oil is garbage and has too much garbage in it. The capsules if you look at most of them have soy in them.

Yup, the source of what you're taking is amongst the most important factors when considering a supplement.   Coconut oil doesn't break down at high temps like other oils do.  

Check the krill out.....it's fantastic. 

You have your healthy fats correct....except extra virgin is key with oils...least processing the better.   Sesame oil I'm not too sure about though.....For eggs, make sure they're not store bought eggs for the most part as they aren't healthy based on the treatment of the hens as well as the shit that's injected into them.  Get good eggs from a farmer or go to Findlay Market downtown on the weekends and stock up on local, quality, health forming eggs.   If you can find some good quality butter...preferably raw, that's ideal.   One of the best fats out there and helps in assimilation of so many other nutrients.  Coconut oil, for as 'heavy' as it is, will cause you to lose weight.   It regulates thyroid function, helps digestion.....wide range of benefits. 

Fish is a good option but you have to ensure it's not farmed fish.  Just like everything....it's teh source the food is coming from that is most important.   Same with fish oils.....make sure they're minimally processed and from chemical free fish.   Krill oil is what I would recommend for those who currently take fish oil.  

Eat a fiber rich breakfast to help you avoid overeating in the day, especially if you're cutting. 

Sorry not very comprehensive, sick as shit right now so not feeling very attentive. 

No dude, I appreciate the shit out of it.  You know your stuff.  I figured kind of mapping it out and letting someone over here look at it would be a good idea.  

Great stuff. Just remember that whenever you lose weight, the core reason is a caloric deficit. The deficit is usually a side effect of making wholesale diet/lifestyle changes. Some people are intimidated by jumping into a massive diet change - but you certainly don't have to do that to lose weight. You can lose weight eating at McDonald's every day... you just won't feel very good doing it.

so what are some good high calorie but healthy food options?

I'm finding that my calorie intake and appetite aren't matching up.  In better words, I'm eating healthier stuff, but I'm struggling to meet my recommended daily caloric intake.  

It's not as if I'm not eating, but rather the things I'm eating (bananas, nuts, dried fruit, yogurts, salads, etc...) don't have a lot of calories.   

Peanut butter is awesome for getting lots of calories in small portions, I toss 1 or 2 tablespoons into a shake or just eat it out of the jar. Milk is a great way to add more calories, especially chocolate milk if you like it - a lot of people swear by the gallon-of-milk-a-day method when they're bulking. You can be liberal with the oil or butter when you cook. A lot of snack nuts are loaded with calories too. If you can put your meal on a sandwich, there's an extra 2 slices of whole wheat bread to add. 

I don't mind having some pizza, ice cream, etc. to hit my calories if needed. Eating 3k+ is not easy for me since I rarely am hungry. But making sure I get enough to properly recover and gain is more important than strictly ensuring everything I eat is "healthy."

Peanut butter is awesome for getting lots of calories in small portions, I toss 1 or 2 tablespoons into a shake or just eat it out of the jar. Milk is a great way to add more calories, especially chocolate milk if you like it - a lot of people swear by the gallon-of-milk-a-day method when they're bulking. You can be liberal with the oil or butter when you cook. A lot of snack nuts are loaded with calories too. If you can put your meal on a sandwich, there's an extra 2 slices of whole wheat bread to add. 

I don't mind having some pizza, ice cream, etc. to hit my calories if needed. Eating 3k+ is not easy for me since I rarely am hungry. But making sure I get enough to properly recover and gain is more important than strictly ensuring everything I eat is "healthy."

yea I do a lot of nuts already.  Peanut Butter is an easy one to do, just usually associate it with "unhealthy".  

Would the sugars in the chocolate milk negate the advantage of the calories?

yea I do a lot of nuts already.  Peanut Butter is an easy one to do, just usually associate it with "unhealthy".  

Would the sugars in the chocolate milk negate the advantage of the calories?

If you don't have an allergy, no reason to consider peanut butter unhealthy. And the sugars in the milk are just another carbohydrate. If it fits into the carb/fat/protein amounts you plan to eat every day, eat it.

If your goal is weight loss or general health, I would not worry about getting up to X number of calories if you don't have the appetite for it. 

If you don't have an allergy, no reason to consider peanut butter unhealthy. And the sugars in the milk are just another carbohydrate. If it fits into the carb/fat/protein amounts you plan to eat every day, eat it.

If your goal is weight loss or general health, I would not worry about getting up to X number of calories if you don't have the appetite for it. 

I just don't want to reach a point where I"m consistently breaking down muscle rather than fat.  

I was only at about 1600 calories yesterday, which is a good 900 less than recommended, and that was with making myself have seconds at dinner just get to that point.  

Like I said, its not as if I'm starving, just that the stuff I'm eating isn't high in calories.  I usually eat 5-6 times a day, but unless I eat a big lunch, outside of dinner those "meals" are only anywhere from 80 to 200 calories.

Hence looking for some more ideas.  

Archived