Tressel knew players were selling memorabilia

BigDawgBengal

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1300476628' post='978059']
In the grand scheme of things this is not a serious violation. No competitive advantage was gained. No recruiting rules were violated. Heck, this isn't even as big a deal as the over-signing that just about, if not every SEC school does every year with no punishment at all. This is something that had these guys been on an academic scholarship instead of an athletic scholarship there would have been no punishment at all.

Yes, a rule was broken. But this is not a rule that creates any competitive or recruiting advantage for OSU, and no law was broken. A severe punishment would not fit this "crime".
[/quote]

I tend to agree with you regarding how major this infraction actually was...but AJ Green got 4 games for selling his jersey and Dez Bryant got almost a full season suspension due to him lying to the NCAA. Essentially, Tressel lied to the NCAA or thats how they're going to view it IMO. Couple that with the fact that Tressel is a HC and not a 20 yr old kid (player) who is held to a (much) higher standard, and you have a serious violation in the eyes of the NCAA.

• 2 weeks later...
[b][url="http://twitter.com/SportsCenter"][color="#0a0501"]SportsCenter[/color][/url][/b] [url=""] [/url] [url="http://twitter.com/search?q=%23CFB"][color="#0a0501"]#CFB[/color][/url]: [url="http://twitter.com/search?q=%23OhioState"][color="#0a0501"]#OhioState[/color][/url] announces assistant Luke Fickell will coach the team during Jim Tressel's suspension.
[url="http://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/53146184205873153"]less than a minute ago[/url] via web

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1301506348' post='980837']
[b][url="http://twitter.com/SportsCenter"][color="#0a0501"]SportsCenter[/color][/url][/b] [url=""] [/url] [url="http://twitter.com/search?q=%23CFB"][color="#0a0501"]#CFB[/color][/url]: [url="http://twitter.com/search?q=%23OhioState"][color="#0a0501"]#OhioState[/color][/url] announces assistant Luke Fickell will coach the team during Jim Tressel's suspension.
[url="http://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/53146184205873153"]less than a minute ago[/url] via web
[/quote]

Zero surprise there.

I want to know who will call the offensive plays. Bolman?

[b][size="5"]Tressel Stands Firm, Apologizes for Mistakes
[/size][/b]By Brandon Castel

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State coach Jim Tressel met with the media Wednesday for the first time since his press conference to address his NCAA violations earlier this month.
[b][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="2"]
[/size][/font][/b]Unlike the last one, where he was dressed in black with a look of sadness in his eye, Tressel came wearing his usual Scarlet and Gray sweater vest to Wednesday's press conference at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center.

It had much more of a traditional Tressel press conference feel, although understandably lacking his dry humor. He opened by saying he could not talk about the NCAA's ongoing investigation, but did apologize for what he had done to bring shame to the university.

"The largest regrets I've had in my life have been when I've disappointed people, when I've let people down," Tressel said after calling it "a difficult past couple of months."

"The mistakes I've made are very disappointing. I'm sorry for that, as I've mentioned many times."

Tressel will hand the interim head coaching job to linebackers coach Luke Fickell, but said to give no credence to the rumors swirling around that he might give up the head coaching job at Ohio State completely.

"I don't know where those were swirling, or whatever. I never had that thought," said Tressel, who enters his 11th season in Columbus.

"We think what's important here is these kids. Whether you have some personal discomfort going on, or you make personal mistakes, or whatever. That wouldn't be something that would jump in my mind, unless there came a point in time where I felt the best thing for those kids would be if I do (step down). I don't feel that way."

Tressel was then asked if recent events might weigh heavily on his decision to continue coaching at Ohio State after his current contract expires in 2015.

"Sometimes in the off-season you have those reflective times, I haven't really had many reflective times in the last couple months that have those types of discussions," the 58-year old said.

As far as Tressel is concerned, it will be business as usual when the Buckeyes open spring practice Thursday. They will have 15 practices, including the annual Scarlet and Gray Spring game, during which time Tressel will continue his duties as the head football coach at Ohio State.

"Spring practice and the teaching and the things that go on on the day-to-day basis have not change, and will not change," Tressel said.

He also doesn't expect things to change much in the fall, except for of course on the first five Saturday's of the season.

"I haven't seen Gene (Smith) for, I don't know when the last time he was here, so I haven't sat down with him about any of that," Tressel prefaced.

"What I perceive for the front of the season, it won't be 24/7 it will be 24/6, and the seventh day is the one you love."

Tressel will not be allowed on the field, or even in the stadium, for the first five games of the season—which includes a trip to Miami—assuming the NCAA accepts Ohio State's self-imposed sanctions for Tressel's violation.

Although he is typically involved in the offensive play-calling, Tressel doesn't expect a huge change on Saturday's, even with the departure of former assistant head coach Darrell Hazell to Kent State.

"Play-calling wise is so much by committee. If we haven't figured that out by Wednesday night, Thursday morning at the latest, coach Jim Bollman is a wreck," Tressel said of his offensive coordinator.

"Do we adjust? Yeah. I'm 5-foot-9, I'm on the sideline, I can't see much. That typically comes from up there. I don't foresee – we don't have that many different plays. I don't see that being that big a deal."

As the linebackers coach, and a former OSU defensive lineman, Fickell doesn't bring much to the offensive game plan. That means Bollman will likely be assisted by running backs coach Dick Tressel, Jim's older brother, along with tight ends coach John Peterson and new receivers coach Stan Drayton, who replaced Hazell after he took the head coaching job at Kent.

The 37-year old Fickell said he plans to build upon the foundation laid by Tressel over the past 10 seasons, but recognized the awkwardness of the situation he will find himself in for the first five games of the season.

"It'll be difficult," Fickell said.

"We have to know whose team it is. It's our team. It's the seniors' team."

Fickell, who played for the Buckeyes from 1992-96, has never been a head coach at any level, but his star has been on the rise for quite some time. He was promoted to co-defensive coordinator in 2005, and is now replacing Hazell as the assistant head coach under Tressel.

"Ohio State football never has been and never will be about one person. It's about something bigger than that," he said.

"It's about Ohio State football and right now it's about these 2011 Buckeyes."

[url="http://www.the-ozone.net/football/2011/SpringFootball/tresselfirm.html"]http://www.the-ozone.net/football/2011/SpringFootball/tresselfirm.html[/url]

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1301537761' post='980998']
A former Auburn football player named Stanley McClover said on HBO Sports that he received money from the boosters at OSU as well as sexual services. He did name a couple other schools he received money from also.
[/quote]

" Chizik said late Wednesday. "It's very sad to me, very sad, that HBO is going to run something that, admittedly, they've got no proof. I think that's pathetic and I think it's pure garbage."

[url="http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/03/auburn-chizik-allegations-garbarge/1"]http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/03/auburn-chizik-allegations-garbarge/1[/url]

I'm probably being dense... And admit that I don;t really follow college football that much, but am I missing the reason why a player for Auburn would be receiving pay and sexual services from Ohio State?

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1301670586' post='981384']
I'm probably being dense... And admit that I don;t really follow college football that much, but am I missing the reason why a player for Auburn would be receiving pay and sexual services from Ohio State?
[/quote]
The guy claimed it was on a recruiting trip.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1301670586' post='981384']
[/quote]

It happened when he was on a recruitment visit, at least in this particular case.

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1301671071' post='981387']
It happened when he was on a recruitment visit, at least in this particular case.
[/quote]

As I suspected all along of course.

I was being dense....

:crazy:

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1301664669' post='981357']
" Chizik said late Wednesday. "It's very sad to me, very sad, that HBO is going to run something that, admittedly, they've got no proof. I think that's pathetic and I think it's pure garbage."

[url="http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/03/auburn-chizik-allegations-garbarge/1"]http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/03/auburn-chizik-allegations-garbarge/1[/url]
[/quote]
Not saying it's true or not but of course Auburn's coach would say it's wrong. He does not want the NCAA investigating his program.

• 4 weeks later...
[quote][size="5"]NCAA alleges Tressel lied to hide NCAA violations[/size]

COLUMBUS, Ohio – In a sharply worded rebuke of Ohio State's Jim Tressel, the NCAA on Monday accused the 10-year coach with withholding information and lying to keep Buckeyes players on the field who had accepted improper benefits from the owner of a tattoo parlor.

In a "notice of allegations" sent to the school, the NCAA said Monday that the violations relating to the coach are considered "potential major violations."

Ohio State was not cited for the most serious of institutional breaches since Tressel hid information from his superiors for more than nine months. The university has 90 days to respond to the ruling body of college sports' request for information before a scheduled date before the NCAA's committee on infractions on Aug. 12 in Indianapolis.
In a 13-page indictment of Tressel's behavior, the NCAA alleged that Tressel had "permitted football student-athletes to participate in intercollegiate athletics while ineligible." It also said he "failed to deport himself ... (with) honesty and integrity" and said he was lying when he filled out a compliance form in September which said he had no knowledge of any NCAA violations by any of his players.

Athletic director Gene Smith said he would have "no comments until the case is resolved." The university issued a statement that the allegations were consistent with what it had already self-reported to the NCAA on March 8.
Tressel's troubles began with an April 2, 2010, email from Columbus lawyer Christopher Cicero. Cicero, a former Ohio State walk-on player, informed Tressel that a federal agency had raided the house of tattoo-shop owner Eddie Rife and discovered a multitude of autographed Ohio State jerseys, cleats, pants and helmets, Big Ten championship rings and the "gold pants" trinkets given to Buckeyes players for beating archrival Michigan.
Tressel responded, "I will get on it ASAP."

Yet he did not notify Smith or Ohio State President E. Gordon Gee, anyone else in the athletic department, the NCAA compliance department, or anyone in the university's legal department. Instead, he forwarded the email to Jeannette, Pa., businessman Ted Sarniak, a friend and mentor to star quarterback Terrelle Pryor, who was subsequently discovered to be one of the players involved with Rife.

The Columbus Dispatch reported Monday that Tressel went on to exchange at least 12 emails with Cicero, and also had numerous lengthy telephone conversations with Sarniak over the weeks and months ahead. Tressel still did not tell any of his superiors, anyone at the NCAA or his own compliance or legal departments.

In September of 2010, Tressel even signed a mandatory and rather routine Ohio State compliance form which clearly and simply asks if he the coach has knowledge of any NCAA violations. By signing and dating it, he said that he did not.
The U.S. Attorney contacted Ohio State in December to notify the university that it had come across the memorabilia. That prompted a cursory investigation — Smith conceded to The Associated Press last week that the effort was rushed — that did not turn up the telltale emails between Cicero and Tressel but did uncover the players' involvement with Rife. After consulting with the NCAA and the Big Ten, Pryor and four other top players were handed five-game suspensions — curiously not including the next game, the Sugar Bowl, but beginning with the first five games of the 2011 season.

Tressel was asked at a news conference if the players knew they were doing something wrong.

"I suppose that would be something rattling around inside the head of each of them individually," he said. "We all have a little sensor within us, 'Well, I'm not sure if I should be doing this.'"

At the same time he said that, Tressel later admitted he was covering up his own knowledge of the players' violations.
The NCAA and Ohio State say the case against the players is closed.

It was only when Ohio State began appealing the players' suspensions that it uncovered the emails, leading to Tressel ultimately receiving a five-game suspension and a $250,000 fine. Smith said last week that the fine given to Tressel — who makes around $3.5 million a year — would not cover Ohio State's costs of the investigation.
Tressel has a record of 106-22 at Ohio State and won the 2002 national championship, the Buckeyes' first in 34 years. His team went 12-1 last season, including the 31-26 win over Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl.

[b]The NCAA could accept Ohio State's suggestion of sanctions — the five-game suspension and the fine — or could levy much more severe penalties. Since the NCAA says that Tressel knowingly used ineligible players, it would seem probable that the 2010 regular season would be vacated — ending the Buckeyes' run of Big Ten titles at six in a row. The NCAA could also come down hard on Tressel, compelling Ohio State to add to Tressel's suspension or issue sanctions leading to the school firing him.[/b][/quote]

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110425/ap_on_sp_co_ne/fbc_ohio_st_tressel

Tressel, you [b]fucking idiot[/b].

You had your dream job. You were a [b]GOD[/b] in Columbus making millions of dollars per year, and you piss it all away trying to protect what amounts to a single season? Maybe 2 if you have to plug in different players?

You should be fired just for being that fucking stupid.

Tressel is a dead-man walking.

He's about to turn a 12-1 season into a vacated season for knowingly playing ineligible players and then he has to explain to the NCAA's satisfaction why he lied about what he knew and when he knew it. He can't do that.

The odds on Tressel being OSU's coach to start the season are a little bit better than my odds of being their coach.

The NCAA took a ton of heat for their decision to let the Ohio State kids play in the Sugar Bowl and serve their penalties next year - and Tressel lied to them during that investigation.

They are gonna fucking level him.

He's gonna be Bruce Pearl'd.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' timestamp='1303799343' post='985847']
Tressel is a dead-man walking.

He's about to turn a 12-1 season into a vacated season for knowingly playing ineligible players and then he has to explain to the NCAA's satisfaction why he lied about what he knew and when he knew it. He can't do that.

The odds on Tressel being OSU's coach to start the season are a little bit better than my odds of being their coach.

The NCAA took a ton of heat for their decision to let the Ohio State kids play in the Sugar Bowl and serve their penalties next year - and Tressel lied to them during that investigation.

They are gonna fucking level him.

He's gonna be Bruce Pearl'd.
[/quote]

Yup

I fully expect them to vacate the Sugar Bowl as well as the season.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1303835860' post='985924']
Because college football is corrupt.

He should be fired on the spot.
[/quote]

why? for telling a lie?

He broke a rule, no doubt, and should be punished for it.

But let's not pretend it was some egregious moral and ethical violation.

What Tressel did isn't nearly as bad as say all of the schools and coaches who PURPOSELY oversign players and offer more scholarships than they have, and then screw over players already on the team who they don't think highly of anymore. And that's legal.

You're right, the system is corrupt, but what Tressel actually did is pretty low down on the corrupt meter.

Oversigning is legal. Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

Using illegal players is not allowed. He did it on purpose. He covered it up. He lied to hide violations.

Fire his ass. Fire Gee too for being a d-bag. Hire Leach to be AD and head coach.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1303836726' post='985937']
Bruce Peral was fired at UT for lying. The official ruling won't be in till some time in September so it would not shock me to see Tressel fired after next season especially if tOSU knows they can land Urban Meyer.
[/quote]

right, but that was UT and UT's boosters. And if I'm not mistaken, Pearl wasn't beloved by them to begin with.

I don't see the OSU administration or boosters turning on Tressel anytime soon.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1303836941' post='985938']
Oversigning is legal. Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

Using illegal players is not allowed. He did it on purpose. He covered it up. He lied to hide violations.

Fire his ass. Fire Gee too for being a d-bag. Hire Leach to be AD and head coach.
[/quote]

I'm thinking you should probably not comment until you know the actual names of those involved and what positions they hold. :lol:

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1303837083' post='985940']
I'm thinking you should probably not comment until you know the actual names of those involved and what positions they hold. :lol:
[/quote]

:) I don't like facts that much. I just mainly don't like Tressel's face. And that guy Gee is a h-moe.

Archived