2011 Reds Gameday Thread!

JBandJoeyV

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1301880044' post='981714']
I love the coaching staff on this team. This may be the best staff since the 1976 team.
[/quote]

Uh, maybe the '90 team.

Until they dominate the NL and win a couple of championships '76 is a bit of a reach.

Just sayin'...

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1301887512' post='981721']
Uh, maybe the '90 team.

Until they dominate the NL and win a couple of championships '76 is a bit of a reach.

Just sayin'...
[/quote]

Lou was [s]probably[/s] a batter manager than Dusty, but as far as the rest of the staff, I REALLY like what this team has put together.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1301863975' post='981685']
3 games up on the Brewers, 2 games up on the Cards.

yes its early in the season, but IMO every game counts.
[/quote]

CENTRAL [b]GB[/b]
Cincinnati [b]-[/b]
Pittsburgh [b].5[/b]
Chicago Cubs [b]1.5[/b]
St. Louis [b]2.5[/b]
Houston [b]3[/b]
Milwaukee [b]3.5[/b]

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1302051293' post='982015']
Mike Leake is a stud. Wonder what they're going to do when Bailey and Cueto come off the DL. Great problem to have.
[/quote]

why I can't believe they even considered moving chapman to the rotation. They don't have room for all of their starting pitchers as it is.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1302052215' post='982018']
why I can't believe they even considered moving chapman to the rotation. They don't have room for all of their starting pitchers as it is.
[/quote]
It also depends on how it shakes out. Volquez was on the verge of being a disaster on Opening Day before he pulled it together some. He could easily be that guy all year long and the coaches might want to make a change along the way if it does. Bailey is also kinda an unknown right now too, and Cueto is still hurt (and can be inconsistent as well). Really the only solid starters we have are Arroyo and Wood. Leake had a great start last season but flamed out bigtime. Lets hope that doesn't happen again. Its early.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1302055433' post='982031']
It also depends on how it shakes out. Volquez was on the verge of being a disaster on Opening Day before he pulled it together some. He could easily be that guy all year long and the coaches might want to make a change along the way if it does. Bailey is also kinda an unknown right now too, and Cueto is still hurt (and can be inconsistent as well). Really the only solid starters we have are Arroyo and Wood. Leake had a great start last season but flamed out bigtime. Lets hope that doesn't happen again. Its early.
[/quote]

I'm not really worried about Volquez other than him getting to antsy. He just had no business starting opening day. Dusty should have known that Volquez would have been too hyped up. I think he'll pitch well tomorrow.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1302056433' post='982037']
I'm not really worried about Volquez other than him getting to antsy. He just had no business starting opening day. Dusty should have known that Volquez would have been too hyped up. I think he'll pitch well tomorrow.
[/quote]

I think volquez is gonna pitch great tomorrow too...he better pitch decent in his next few starts because theres gonna be an odd man out at some point when Bailey and Cueto are healthy. At this point I dont even know who I want that odd man out to be I like them all.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1302056433' post='982037']
[/quote]

I hope he pitches well. He very well might not.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1302056890' post='982040']
I think volquez is gonna pitch great tomorrow too...he better pitch decent in his next few starts because theres gonna be an odd man out at some point when Bailey and Cueto are healthy. At this point I dont even know who I want that odd man out to be I like them all.
[/quote]

Lets discuss the "odd man out". Arroyo is a starter, so is Wood, Cueto too, Bailey for now when healthy and also Volquez for the time being. That's five. Excuse my ignorance, but whom is breaking down the door in AAA or elsewhere that will supplant one of these guys when/if they struggle or get hurt?

ETA: besides Leake, whom may not be reliable himself?

I don't think you can let a guy like Aroldis sit in the bullpen and only get one inning out of him every few nights. I think he is a guy that could give 6-7 innings every 5 days and 17-18 wins a year. The guy is just dominant when he wants to be. He would and should be our number 1 starter in the next two years.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1302057074' post='982042']

Lets discuss the "odd man out". Arroyo is a starter, so is Wood, Cueto too, Bailey for now when healthy and also Volquez for the time being. That's five. Excuse my ignorance, but whom is breaking down the door in AAA or elsewhere that will supplant one of these guys when/if they struggle or get hurt?

ETA: besides Leake, whom may not be reliable himself?
[/quote]

Leake, Maloney.

Why is Leake all of a sudden no longer reliable? He was the best pitcher in the spring from what I hear.

Archived