2011 Reds Gameday Thread!

JBandJoeyV

They need to look at Volquez real closely and see what needs to be fixed. Something is wrong.

2 straight hits to lead off the game, a walk, then hits the next batter to force in a run.

Only gave up 2 runs but it would have been worse had it not been for an excellent diving catch by Heisy in center.

[quote name='BengalRep85-9' timestamp='1302576071' post='983094']
They need to look at Volquez real closely and see what needs to be fixed. Something is wrong.

2 straight hits to lead off the game, a walk, then hits the next batter to force in a run.

Only gave up 2 runs but it would have been worse had it not been for an excellent diving catch by Heisy in center.
[/quote]

I wouldn't freak out just yet. He's certainly not where we'd all like him to be, but in each of his three outings he's progressively gotten better from outing to outing.

I don't know how much his visa issue cut into his spring training, but maybe he just needed a few extra games.

[quote name='BengalRep85-9' timestamp='1302581376' post='983096']
Whatever was done or said after the 1st needs to be the way it is the rest of the year.

He was LIGHTS OUT after the 1st.

Leaves after 6 (88 pitches) with a 3-2 lead.
[/quote]

I think he just needs to throw another 20 or so pitches warming up. He comes out to jacked up and over-throws. Throw more while warming up and he'll get past some of that.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1302611084' post='983119']
I think he just needs to throw another 20 or so pitches warming up. He comes out to jacked up and over-throws. Throw more while warming up and he'll get past some of that.
[/quote]

I don't know that warmup pitches will necessarily solve that, but rather than that, maybe have him warmup throwing some pitches to Votto and Rolen, who have good eyes and won't just swing at anything. Even if they don't swing I think it would be good for him to face a live batter down in the bullpen.

Not that the offense needs any help, but Jay Bruce could really use some help. He is at 8 hits and 15 strikeouts this year. He was really starting to come on at the end of last year and now he has seemed to regress to a terrible pitch selection. His defense is great, but Jay could be right there with Joey V in the MVP discussion if he just takes better pitches.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1302662071' post='983311']
Not that the offense needs any help, but Jay Bruce could really use some help. He is at 8 hits and 15 strikeouts this year. He was really starting to come on at the end of last year and now he has seemed to regress to a terrible pitch selection. His defense is great, but Jay could be right there with Joey V in the MVP discussion if he just takes better pitches.
[/quote]

Bruce and Stubbs mean a lot to this offense. With them not playing great, we still have a decent offense. With them playing well we have the best offense.

Its early but it would be nice if they start to get on a lil role.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1302662071' post='983311']
[/quote]
I am starting to think he is just trying to hard to live up to the new contract which is causing him to swing at bad pitches.

Archived