Bengals’ Andre Smith says he weighs “a lot less”

Bengals’ Andre Smith says he weighs “a lot less”
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 9, 2011, 9:10 AM EDT
Smith_Andre

Andre Smith, the No. 6 overall pick in the 2009 NFL draft who has started just five games in two seasons, says he’s finally rounding into shape.

Smith, whose decision to conduct a pre-draft workout shirtless is still burned into the eyes of all who saw it, told the Cincinnati Enquirer he’s slimming down.

“I love where my weight is right now. I’ve dropped a bunch and it’s a lot less than it was at training camp last year,” Smith said.

Smith, who has broken his left foot twice in the last 15 months, is still in a protective boot, so it’s probably safe to say he’s not in playing shape. But if he can get down to his listed weight of 345 pounds from his reported actual weight of 375 pounds, there may be a chance of Smith starting to shake the bust label in 2011.

I don't know how believable this is if he is still in a walking boot, but if somehow it is true I'd say this obviously improves his chances of being our everyday RT of the future.

An encouraging sign from Wednesday's Bengals workout at Nippert Stadium was seeing Andre Smith on the field. Smith mainly did conditioning work as he still has the boot on his left foot.

The offensive tackle from Alabama, the team's first-round selection in 2009, broke his left foot for the second time in 15 months last Nov. 10. He said the rehab from the injury is going well and that he hopes to be out of the boot by the end of the week.

Another positive was a noticeable drop in Smith's weight. He said his major goal during the offseason has been better nutrition and getting healthy.

"I love where my weight is right now. I've dropped a bunch and it's a lot less than it was at training camp last year," Smith said.

There were estimates during last season's training camp that Smith was near 375 pounds.

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110608/SPT02/106090337/Smith-field-foot-still-boot?odyssey=tab|topnews|text"]http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110608/SPT02/106090337/Smith-field-foot-still-boot?odyssey=tab|topnews|text[/url]|

Good for him. He's completing his first step. Now he has to rebuild his strength. Then he's got to get into football shape . Lastly, he got to stay on the field and produce like a first round pick is expected to produce . Long way to go for young Andre'.

[quote name='Patmo' timestamp='1307641340' post='996722']
Good for him. He's completing his first step. Now he has to rebuild his strength. Then he's got to get into football shape . Lastly, he got to stay on the field and produce like a first round pick is expected to produce . Long way to go for young Andre'.
[/quote]

Said another way, just as the journey of 2,000 miles starts with a single step... for Andre, the journey to being an All-Pro tackle starts (and ends, hopefully) with a single chicken wing, or pancake, or hamburger, or....

7 months and still in a boot. I hope to God it's a measure of how carefully they
are proceeding, and not a measure of how severe his injury was/is. I want to know
they've kept him immobilized because they were able to give it extra time to heal,
and not because he's just fucked.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1307661267' post='996781']
How he got to TC at 375, when Solomon Wilcots viewed Bengals facilities and they showed Andre and he looked about 330-335, I will never know. That's unreal.
[/quote]

I agree. It was shocking.

Great news about the weight.

The weight might just be what is keeping him in the boot. Extra protection. You and I putting 180 pounds down on our feet is not a big deal, Double that and the pressure with every step has to be overwhelming. Maybe they will just give him some Iron feet.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1307635350' post='996703']
A lot less than what? A cargo jet? :rsju31uh9:
[/quote]

...actually they just left off the word "often". He "weighs a lot less often." Instead of weighing himself daily, he weighs himself once a month.

:pooh_go:

Archived