*UPDATE* Bengals and Cards talking trade so Bengals can draft Richardson?

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1330559473' post='1100772']

There may not be any 21 year old prospect RBs in free agency, [b]but there are some proven NFL running backs in free agency.[/b] The Bengals should stay put and draft Kirkpatrick/Jenkins and DeCastro/Glenn in the first and then work from there.

FYI All-Pro running backs get bigger contracts than All-Pro tackles.
[/quote]

not really. Realistically Foster, Rice and Forte aren't going to be going anywhere. Probably Lynch too. That leaves the next set of guys as Bush and Tolbert and while I like both, neither have experience being the primary back on their former teams.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1330559473' post='1100772']

There may not be any 21 year old prospect RBs in free agency, but there are some proven NFL running backs in free agency. The Bengals should stay put and draft Kirkpatrick/Jenkins and DeCastro/Glenn in the first and then work from there.

FYI All-Pro running backs get bigger contracts than All-Pro tackles.
[/quote]

[b]2011 Franchise Tag Value[/b]

[b]RB [/b]$9.6 million
[b]O-linemen [/b]$10.1 million (this includes ALL O-linemen. Guards actually water the numbers down. Tackles are some of the highest paid in the NFL.

The only position that was lower for the Franchise tag than O-linemen was Safety.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1330559889' post='1100778']

[b]2011 Franchise Tag Value[/b]

[b]RB [/b]$9.6 million
[b]O-linemen [/b]$10.1 million (this includes ALL O-linemen. Guards actually water the numbers down. Tackles are some of the highest paid in the NFL.

The only position that was lower than O-linemen was Safety.
[/quote]

Color me pink. You need to go read the article I posted in the Jenkins thread.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1330559751' post='1100775']
Hell no, especially when their comparing him as the next Adrian Peterson.
[/quote]
Gonna disagree with you there. Cleveland could easily take RG3 and Tampa Claiborne both of which would be rated higher than Richardson. Those are the only 2 teams in the top 12 picks that would even be considering a RB.

[quote name='starkesn' timestamp='1330559944' post='1100780']
Gonna disagree with you there. Cleveland could easily take RG3 and Tampa Claiborne both of which would be rated higher than Richardson. Those are the only 2 teams in the top 12 picks that would even be considering a RB.
[/quote]

From what I have read on several sources, Tampa is thinking of taking T-Rich to team up with Blount. Of course with Blount's history he could be a ticking time bomb and T-Rich would give them some insurance.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1330560042' post='1100781']

From what I have read on several sources, Tampa is thinking of taking T-Rich to team up with Blount. Of course with Blount's history he could be a ticking time bomb and T-Rich would give them some insurance.
[/quote]

Im not saying it is or isnt going to happen....but I think its crazy to spend a top 5 pick at RB when you already have a young, 1000 yard back on your roster. Just doesnt make sense to me.

I just don't see how we come out of this world's better than we were before. We currently have an absolutely dreadful run blocking offensive line. We had 2 guys back there who had previously had success running the football and neither could break a run of any kind. I don't think Ced and Scott are all that great, but they certainly weren't as bad as that line made them out to be.

Richardson is probably better than both combined, but how good will that be behind that line. For that trade to look good he has to become a guy who is in the top 5 at his position. I'm not sure anyone could behind that line the way it is. If he;s there at 17, then that's fine, but to trade up when your not going to block for him doesn't make sense, and to to draft Richardson and a guard with your first round picks leaves you very vulnerable defensively.

I say, keep the pick. If he;s there at 17 and you like him that much go for it and then go defense at 21, then guard in the second. If he's gone, see if DeCastro is there, if not, see if Kirkpatrick is there (underwhelming combine), if not look at guys like Gilmore, Glenn, or Poe. Then at 21, there will be guys like Jenkins, Konz, Randle, Hill, Barron, and the other RB prospects available. Preferably Miller please.

[quote name='starkesn' timestamp='1330559944' post='1100780']

[/quote]

All those teams that passed on AP they didn't need a running back. But just my opinion they wish they could go back and take him.

[quote name='Madieu Superstar' timestamp='1330560250' post='1100784']
I just don't see how we come out of this world's better than we were before. We currently have an absolutely dreadful run blocking offensive line. We had 2 guys back there who had previously had success running the football and neither could break a run of any kind. I don't think Ced and Scott are all that great, but they certainly weren't as bad as that line made them out to be.

Richardson is probably better than both combined, but how good will that be behind that line. For that trade to look good he has to become a guy who is in the top 5 at his position. I'm not sure anyone could behind that line the way it is. If he;s there at 17, then that's fine, but to trade up when your not going to block for him doesn't make sense, and to to draft Richardson and a guard with your first round picks leaves you very vulnerable defensively.

I say, keep the pick. If he;s there at 17 and you like him that much go for it and then go defense at 21, then guard in the second. If he's gone, see if DeCastro is there, if not, see if Kirkpatrick is there (underwhelming combine), if not look at guys like Gilmore, Glenn, or Poe. Then at 21, there will be guys like Jenkins, Konz, Randle, Hill, Barron, and the other RB prospects available. Preferably Miller please.
[/quote]

No offense to you, cause it happens a lot, but why just because we draft Richardson does it mean we cant upgrade the line? Hell we could go out, sign a guy like Grubbs or Jake Scott in FA, draft Glenn or Decastro with our other 2nd rounder and now you have two new guards and a new RB. Could potentially completely change our running game around.

Then you can sign a solid FA or two on defense and spend a few draft picks on D as well.

Not that we will do this, but drafting richardson doesnt mean we are going to go into 2012 with Hudson and boling as our starting Gs.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1330562997' post='1100807']
All I know is, I will feel more comfortable about this trade if the Bengals address OG/WR/CB in free agency first.
[/quote]

Yep.

I see RB, OG, WR, and CB as priority needs for the first 3 rounds. If they get a quality starter at one of those positions in free agency I'd be ok with that trade.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1330562714' post='1100804']
[img]http://www.supersportscenter.com/images/product/medium/2841.jpg[/img]

[size=6][b]=[/b][/size]

[size=5][b][img]http://www.oddbounces.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Oddbounces-Pic-Threengles.jpg[/img][/b][/size]
[/quote]

I think I just jizzed in my pants looking at this post. Is that a bad thing ^_^

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1330561837' post='1100796']

No offense to you, cause it happens a lot, but why just because we draft Richardson does it mean we cant upgrade the line? Hell we could go out, sign a guy like Grubbs or Jake Scott in FA, draft Glenn or Decastro with our other 2nd rounder and now you have two new guards and a new RB. Could potentially completely change our running game around.

Then you can sign a solid FA or two on defense and spend a few draft picks on D as well.

Not that we will do this, but drafting richardson doesnt mean we are going to go into 2012 with Hudson and boling as our starting Gs.
[/quote]

I'm not saying you can't, I just believe no matter what, you are going to end up overpaying for whatever you get. We don't know that guys like Nicks or Grubbs won't ease up (or worse, fatten up) once they hit the big payday. Free Agency is a very costly and risky endeavor because you have to wonder about why, if we consider them to be absolute game-changers for us, their original team would let them go. A guy like Nicks has already stated he wants to be paid more than his teammate Evans. While not inflammatory, statements like this worry me.

If you were able to grab a guy like DeCastro and then one of the second tier RB's, and also keep your 3rd and 5th round picks, I don't see that as a bad thing. I've always viewed free agency as a place where you can look for real good fits at decent prices to improve your team.

We eventually have to pay guys like Nelson, Atkins, Dunlap, (maybe Rucker), green, Dalton, Shipley, Gresham, and maybe Andre so why not try and save some money if you can, while still being able to possibly get similar productivity, while also keeping our young core together.

I am 100% on board with this trade and I think can be done with swapping the firsts a 3rd and 6th or swap the firsts and 4th round and 5th(one we got from trading chad)

Its time to get over the hump and TRich will help massively for that and we can always fill other needs in draft and FA

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1330562714' post='1100804']
[img]http://www.supersportscenter.com/images/product/medium/2841.jpg[/img]

[size=6][b]=[/b][/size]

[size=5][b][img]http://www.oddbounces.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Oddbounces-Pic-Threengles.jpg[/img][/b][/size]
[/quote]
Thats what im envisioning too
Make it happen marvin and mike!
Fuck what everyone else say

I love how people are making the comparisons of Green, Dalton, and T-Rich to Aikman, Smith, and Irvin. Do you guys realize the Offensive linemen they had when they won their first Superbowl in 1992?

Try Nate Newton, Mark Stepnoski, Mark Tuinei, and Erik Williams. I think Kevin Gogan was the other guy. So you are talking about 4 guys that went to multiple Pro Bowls. You know the number of Pro Bowls gone to by members of the Bengals current offensive line? Zero...Build with the line!

Even Kevin Gogan went to 3 Pro Bowls.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1330565277' post='1100824']
I love how people are making the comparisons of Green, Dalton, and T-Rich to Aikman, Smith, and Irvin. Do you guys realize the Offensive linemen they had when they won their first Superbowl in 1992?

Try Nate Newton, Mark Stepnoski, Mark Tuinei, and Erik Williams. I think Kevin Gogan was the other guy. So you are talking about 4 guys that went to multiple Pro Bowls. You know the number of Pro Bowls gone to by members of the Bengals current offensive line? Zero...Build with the line!

Even Kevin Gogan went to 3 Pro Bowls.
[/quote]

Once again, its not a one or the other type thing. You can upgrade the line and get T Rich.

My plan...sign Jake Scott, Tyvon Branch and Robert Meachum.

Trade your 3rd or 4th rounder up a few spots to snag TRich if hes available.

Draft Trich, Decastro or Glenn at 21, the top CB available at 53. Stephen Gilmore or something.

So now you have in 2012 compared to 2011
Trich > Benson
Decastro/Glenn> Nate Livings
Jake Scott> 2011 Bobbie Williams/McGlynn/Boling combo
Branch> Chris Crocker
Meachum> Simpson (or at least hopefully more reliable)

So now we improved the running game with a better line and RB.
Improved the passing game with a better line, more consistent number 2 WR, and a threat out of the backfield in TRich.
Improved the secondary with a solid FA S and a good potential 3rd CB behind Clements and Hall.

All of this while not really spending that much, as I see Branch being the biggest FA we signed and I dont think he will be breaking the bank at all.

Game over. Return to energizer.

(Now if you like a different FA G over Scott thats similar money or S over Branch, fine feel free to adjust, but the ideas are all the same.)

No reason we cant get this done, IMO.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1330566105' post='1100827']
Why must they tease me with things like this.
[/quote]

This is finally the year its gonna happen...even Jamie B is going to be predicting Super Bowl! Well, maybe predicting 8-8 but thats equivalent to SB for most fans.

:ninja: ?

[quote name='Elijah15' timestamp='1330551143' post='1100702']
Richardson, Dalton, and green?
Man that will be sick
[/quote]

Dude... Richardson, Dalton, Green, and Gresham.
It wouldnt be fair, and I like it.

But Im not getting my hopes up.

Archived