Who do we pick at 17 if first round goes like this...

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who do we select?

• WR Kendall Wright, Baylor
    • MLB Luke Kuechly, Boston College
    • CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama
    • CB Janoris Jenkins, Florida
    • OG Cordy Glenn, Georgia
    • S Mark Barron, Alabama
    • Other

I think I'm an Alabama boy on both17 and 21. Kirkpatrick at 17, and Hightower at 21. I know with the makeup of the dbackfield, Dre isn't going to start early, but you could let him learn from 4 1st rounders and he'll start in 13. Hightower gives you a mike if Rey doesn't continue to grow, and he can play SLB next year. Plus, his size fits more of what they like at MLB or SLB.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1332705454' post='1111934']

time out. just because they didn't spend money in free agency, doesn't mean they aren't too concerned about filling the #2 WR spot. you're stating things as fact, when you have no idea if they truly are fact.

maybe the guys they had targeted and thought to be worthy in free agency received offers they thought were outragous, so they moved on to the draft. this thing will have to play out before you can make any statements of surety like that.
[/quote]

I'm not stating it as fact, I'm saying the suggestion supports it. They didn't go out and get a #2 WR. By all indications, they didn't even bring in a single WR for a visit. So no its not a fact, but at least is some kind of indication on how concerned they are with the #2 spot. We've seen them go out and address it in the recent past when they thought it was an issue.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1332706056' post='1111936']

I'm not stating it as fact, I'm saying the suggestion supports it. They didn't go out and get a #2 WR. By all indications, they didn't even bring in a single WR for a visit. So no its not a fact, but at least is some kind of indication on how concerned they are with the #2 spot. We've seen them go out and address it in the recent past when they thought it was an issue.
[/quote]

ahem:

The fact that they aren't too concerned about filling the #2 WR spot supports that.

i get what you mean, though. sometimes we use words inappropriately. yeah, we all do it. but the bottom line is this...this is a very deep WR draft and i'm pretty sure they'll add at least one.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1332706056' post='1111936']

[/quote]

That's because they're going to sign Wallace.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1332705704' post='1111935']I think I'm an Alabama boy on both17 and 21. Kirkpatrick at 17, and Hightower at 21. I know with the makeup of the dbackfield, Dre isn't going to start early, but you could let him learn from 4 1st rounders and he'll start in 13. Hightower gives you a mike if Rey doesn't continue to grow, and he can play SLB next year. Plus, his size fits more of what they like at MLB or SLB.[/quote]

Hightower at 21 wouldn't surprise me. He's got the size/speed combo that's surely got Marvin's attention.

Athletically, he's a lot like Odell Thurman, but he appears more disciplined. 'Violent' and 'explosive' are two words that come to mind.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1332707238' post='1111938']

ahem:

The fact that they aren't too concerned about filling the #2 WR spot supports that.

i get what you mean, though. sometimes we use words inappropriately. yeah, we all do it. but the bottom line is this...[b]this is a very deep WR draft and i'm pretty sure they'll add at least one.[/b]
[/quote]

touche'. Replace "fact" with "notion" as far as what was meant.

And I agree wholeheartedly with the bolded.

I'm so surprised that so many fans have fallen for the Binns spin job.

It's done two distinct things: given a deflection off the fact the Bengals made zero effort to sign a free agent WR, even Jerome, AND that the Bengals just might be throwing up a smokescreen as to what they are taking in the draft.

Really though...how many of you guys believed this whole Binns story? Really? REALLY?

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1332708375' post='1111943']I'm so surprised that so many fans have fallen for the Binns spin job. It's done two distinct things: given a deflection off the fact the Bengals made zero effort to sign a free agent WR, even Jerome, AND that the Bengals just might be throwing up a smokescreen as to what they are taking in the draft. Really though...how many of you guys believed this whole Binns story? Really? REALLY?[/quote]
LMAO

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1332708375' post='1111943']
I'm so surprised that so many fans have fallen for the Binns spin job.

It's done two distinct things: given a deflection off the fact the Bengals made zero effort to sign a free agent WR, even Jerome, AND that the Bengals just might be throwing up a smokescreen as to what they are taking in the draft.

Really though...how many of you guys believed this whole Binns story? Really? REALLY?
[/quote]

I think you have to look at the whole situation. I'm not sold that it will be Binns, but when you combine the Binns coachspeak with the lack of action towards WR's in free agency, its makes you go hmmmm.

[quote name='Big Alice' timestamp='1332707807' post='1111940']

Hightower at 21 wouldn't surprise me. He's got the size/speed combo that's surely got Marvin's attention.

Athletically, he's a lot like Odell Thurman, but he appears more disciplined. 'Violent' and 'explosive' are two words that come to mind.
[/quote]
Hightower is really nothing like Odell. Odell had sideline to sideline speed. Hightower tested well running the 40 but really struggles laterally. He has no coverage ability. Hightower is a 2 down LB in a 4-3, just like Rey. He is at his best in a 3-4 where he can blitz and have someone else cover.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1332708375' post='1111943']I'm so surprised that so many fans have fallen for the Binns spin job.
Really though...how many of you guys believed this whole Binns story? Really? REALLY?[/quote]

Spin job...

There are few things that I know for certain. One of them is that Mike Brown doesn't give a good God Damn about what anyone thinks of his 'efforts'. The stories about Armon Binns are much more fluff than they are conspiracy. Do they mean anything? Hell, I don't know. I remember reading the same stuff about T.J. Houshmandzadeh - for three years!

[quote name='Big Alice' timestamp='1332709604' post='1111959']
Spin job...

There are few things that I know for certain. One of them is that Mike Brown doesn't give a good God Damn about what anyone thinks of his 'efforts'. The stories about Armon Binns are much more fluff than they are conspiracy. Do they mean anything? Hell, I don't know. I remember reading the same stuff about T.J. Houshmandzadeh - for three years!
[/quote]

Journalist that follow a team can only have SO many things to write about over a years time. A lot of the time these stories will dip into the 'Cinderella story' theme where they will try to hype up a guy low on the roster in hopes it will draw some buzz for the team. In the Binns case...

Hobson jumped the shark.

What fan in their right mind is going to believe a guy that couldn't make an NFL roster last year and then ended up the Bengals practice squad was going to be somehow viewed as the next sure thing #2 WR for Dalton THIS year.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1332709133' post='1111951']
Hightower is really nothing like Odell. Odell had sideline to sideline speed. Hightower tested well running the 40 but really struggles laterally. He has no coverage ability. Hightower is a 2 down LB in a 4-3, just like Rey. He is at his best in a 3-4 where he can blitz and have someone else cover.[/quote]

I think your assessment's too harsh. 'No coverage ability'? In a 3-4, he'd be better inside, stuffing the run.

Your analysis sounds more like you're talking about Courtney Upshaw.

[quote name='Big Alice' timestamp='1332709998' post='1111962']

I think your assessment's too harsh. 'No coverage ability'? In a 3-4, he'd be better inside, stuffing the run.

Your analysis sounds more like you're talking about Courtney Upshaw.
[/quote]
No it's Hightower. They are pretty similar prospects. Hightower is a good pass rusher and is even being looked at as a 3-4 OLB. He is a good run stuffer up the middle but he struggles setting the edge when it's taken outside.

In my mind he doesn't give us much more than what we already have in a healthy Rey. Big, struggles in coverage and setting edge and fits better in a 3-4.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1332709133' post='1111951']

Hightower is really nothing like Odell. Odell had sideline to sideline speed. Hightower tested well running the 40 but really struggles laterally. He has no coverage ability. Hightower is a 2 down LB in a 4-3, just like Rey. He is at his best in a 3-4 where he can blitz and have someone else cover.
[/quote]

Agree 100%

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1332711407' post='1111972']
Honestly this is a pretty weak draft class for edge rushers, DEs, and LBs.

Probably one of the worst I can remember in recent years.
[/quote]

It's really good for lb's. There might be 10 picked in first two rounds

[quote name='SocalBengalEd' timestamp='1332711904' post='1111974']
It's really good for lb's. There might be 10 picked in first two rounds
[/quote]

I disagree. There might be alot of second round or later LBers drafted but there are very few that are well rounded every down guys. Most are guys are tagged with sayings such as: "Has not been tested yet", "Lacks ideal size", "Has potential but...", "Can he transition to the speed of the NFL game?..."

I think you get the point.

[quote name='SocalBengalEd' timestamp='1332712674' post='1111986']
Kuechly, Hightower,Wagner, Upshaw Brown David Bradham Ingram Branch and Kendricks will get picked pretty high.
[/quote]

upshaw, ingram and branch aren't really LB's though. They may end up as ones, but they aren't at the moment, and certainly wouldn't be LB's in the Bengals system.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1332681348' post='1111798']

down the stretch Gruden started to. Keep in mind that we've only seen the tip of the iceberg of Gruden's offense, which was held back last year by a shortened offseason and a rookie QB.

IMO Gresham becomes a lot bigger part of the passing game next year. The fact that they aren't too concerned about filling the #2 WR spot supports that.
[/quote]

Also, line problems made it a priority to hold back the TE to help out at times.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1332707238' post='1111938']

ahem:

i get what you mean, though. sometimes we use words inappropriately. yeah, we all do it. but the bottom line is this...this is a very deep WR draft and i'm pretty sure they'll add at least one.[/quote]

I've read where there are many more WRs with draftable grades coming out than in recent memory. Given the fact that Mike likes them so much, there's no doubt they'll take one, and probably more.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1332712916' post='1111992']

upshaw, ingram and branch aren't really LB's though. They may end up as ones, but they aren't at the moment, and certainly wouldn't be LB's in the Bengals system.[/quote]

Hard to say what Ingram and Upshaw are, as they lined up as DEs at times, OLBs at times, and in the case of Ingram, at DT on occasion. Branch was recruited as a LB but he played mostly end, with some time at LB, but more limited than the other two guys. They will play 3-4 OLB most likely, unless they end up at end.

[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1332718786' post='1112019']
Hard to say what Ingram and Upshaw are, as they lined up as DEs at times, OLBs at times, and in the case of Ingram, at DT on occasion. Branch was recruited as a LB but he played mostly end, with some time at LB, but more limited than the other two guys. They will play 3-4 OLB most likely, unless they end up at end.
[/quote]

I'd say that in a 4-3 its a very safe bet that all 3 would be DE's.

Archived