Who do we pick at 17 if first round goes like this...

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who do we select?

• WR Kendall Wright, Baylor
    • MLB Luke Kuechly, Boston College
    • CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama
    • CB Janoris Jenkins, Florida
    • OG Cordy Glenn, Georgia
    • S Mark Barron, Alabama
    • Other

I don't know much about Kuechly except that he's touted so highly. So I looked at some video. This one is admittedly from 2010. Had some nice plays, some real stinkers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbpNkBiLDeU

Know who he reminds me of. Rey. Not so excited by all the whiffs.

I voted Glenn because I think #17 should be a starter and if we took a CB he would likely be a role player this year. Plus Glenn gives us insurance next year at OT.

The only criticism I have of that kid from BC is he doesn't seem to make big plays. Granted he doesn't seem to miss many routine plays which could be an improvement. But if he just comes here and can't cover TEs and just makes routine tackles he's going to be run out of town in 3 years. If the coaches see him as someone who can improve our LB and help make us dominant then I could get behind that too. Glenn seems more like a sure bet to be a consistent upgrade from last years starter.

I like the idea of thinking of who would be an immediate starter coming in as a rd 1 draft choice.

By position:

Guaranteed:
RG (assuming the hyperbole about Otis Hudson is just that)
WR2 (same for Binns)
SLB (until Manny resigns which I'm really pulling for)

Possible:
CB (an elite talent would start over one of Clements or Allen if Hall is not ready/NG - and maybe even if he weren't)
MLB (Rey is problematic, but historically you can get guys like David Harris in Rd 2)
S (same for Crocker, though this is where the team's developmental work may be paying off (Mays, Miles, Sands)

Gravy:
DT - most people wonder why we would because they'd just go into rotation, but I'd argue this guy could start and actually be a three downer. He'd come in for Geno on running downs and then Peko on passing downs. I'm starting to warm to Brockers, who is just oozing with potential.
DE (There's an argument for an elite DE to start in front of MJ)
RB- Sure, TRich or Doug Martin would be great, but do we need them that badly for a rd 1 pick. I'm of the school that you don't hunt for RB in this draft, just take one if they unexpectedly fall into your lap in a can't loose situation.

So, from all of this I have my first round positional list to.....

RG, WR2, DT

(assuming Lawson re-signs)

Wow. Not what I thought I wanted.

But I'd still be thrilled with BPA :)

EDIT: Looking a little further, given that you can almost always (historically) get day 1 starting caliber guards in Rd 2, I'd have to limit my list to:

WR2, DT

Again, not what I've expected (I'm an OL guy all the way)

If you want it to be best player available the way I see it we have 7 needs left

WR-Resign Simpson
Backup TE-Resign Lee
RG-Vernon Carey is still available and a stud at the spot
Backup C-I like Scott Mruckowski but there might be other options
SLB-Lawson hopefully
S-No idea

Then we could truly go best player available. Right now we have to nock out those 6 spots somewhere in the draft.

I would also go after Matt Roth at DE and Jordan Senn at WLB because i think they are very good players not because there is a need.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1332629158' post='1111678']

yep.

You have to keep in mind that Gresham and Fleener aren't your grandpa's tight ends. They're big receivers who can block.
[/quote]

Just like the system they use in New Orleans that we are trying to emulate? Another TE is a luxury pick in the first round. Lets get a legitimate 2nd WR before we start jazzing up the areas that are already ok.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1332629256' post='1111680']

Just like the system they use in New Orleans that we are trying to emulate? Another TE is a luxury pick in the first round. Lets get a legitimate 2nd WR before we start jazzing up the areas that are already ok.
[/quote]

you're too wrapped up in what the receiving threats are called, and not what they do. Green/Gresham/Fleener/Shipley is just as dangerous of a foursome as Green/Gresham/Wright/Shipley.

Who's the #1 receiving threat in Baltimore? A running back.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1332629556' post='1111683']

you're too wrapped up in what the receiving threats are called, and not what they do. Green/Gresham/Fleener/Shipley is just as dangerous of a foursome as Green/Gresham/Wright/Shipley.

[/quote]

Then Green goes down and we got nothing. Quit telling me what i am or what I am not. If we want to be the Saints we need more wideouts. Even the Pats have more WR options and they have 2 stud TEs.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1332630066' post='1111684']

Then Green goes down and we got nothing. Quit telling me what i am or what I am not. If we want to be the Saints we need more wideouts. Even the Pats have more WR options and they have 2 stud TEs.
[/quote]

Meachum is still out there and cheap right? What would it hurt?

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1332629556' post='1111683']

[/quote]

two questions...

do you think another tight end threat will pull double coverage off AJ green?

how many snaps do you REALLY expect gruden to send gresham out wide?

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1332630157' post='1111686']

two questions...

how many snaps do you REALLY expect gruden to send gresham out wide?
[/quote]

Towards the end of the year I saw Gresham get split out wide one on one probably 5 snaps or so a game. I remember one whole series he did it and had like 2 catches for 30 yards including a 20 yarder in traffic for a first down.

With that being said, don't put me in the camp of ignoring the #2 WR spot in exchange for a rookie TE.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1332630157' post='1111686']

two questions...

how many snaps do you REALLY expect gruden to send gresham out wide?[/quote]

NOTHING will pull double coverage off a guy like AJ green in the future...

[quote name='spicoli' timestamp='1332622092' post='1111630']

why because one went to a MAC school and the other the SEC? other than that, there really isn't much of a difference.
[/quote]

right, that's why one has consistently been considered a top 20 pick, maybe even being gone before our #17 pick. the other leaped out of 4-5 round status in the post season, not even invited to the combine, and elevated himself into possibly the 3rd round based on a good performance against a sub par lineup in the shrine game, then had an excellent pro day.

ok, i like brandon brooks a lot as a prospect, but let's keep our feet on the ground while discussing of him. he's not nearly the finished product cordy glenn is. and yes, you do get tested more going up against the SEC pass rushers vs the likes of teams like bowling green. like it or not, that's why glenn's projected to be an instant starter, and brooks will likely take some work before he gets to that point.

[quote name='membengal' timestamp='1332630906' post='1111696']The TEs in NE keep their WRs from being doubled, by and large. It's one of the reasons Chad was such a disappointment up there, he couldn't even beat single coverage.[/quote]

Not sure if it was that so much as he didn't know the plays.

I don't like the value of a LB in the 1st round unless he is an absolute stud and I don't quite see that with Kuechly. Also, the Bengals only play 2 LBs over half of the snaps on D, so again it just doesn't seem like that huge of a need either.

I'm hoping the draft doesn't play out like this because the 2 guys I really like for #17 are David Decastro and Fletcher Cox. If those two are gone, I think Cordy Glenn or Kendall Wright would both make sense in terms of value and need.

Tried posting a new topic about 21st pick but my phone is being a dick.

Who you see at 21 if next few picks are:
17. Bengals - Kuechly
18. Chargers - OT Jonathan Martin, Stanford
19. Bears - OG Cordy Glenn, Georgia
20. Titans - CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama

?

One other thing that I think is critical for the Bengals in deciding who to pick early this year is determining where the big dropoffs are. For example, do they see a big dropoff after the top 3 WRs? the top 5 WRs? Same with RB. Do they see 5 potential difference makers? 6? 8?

I remember an early interview with Gruden where he mentioned there were 5 great guard prospects in this draft. Obviously, they will have those guys ranked 1 thru 5 and like some better than others. But its also possible they just want to make sure they come out of the draft with one of the 5.

Anyway, that's where I think it gets interesting. I personally see a decent sized drop off after the top 4 WRs (though I'm intrigued by Stephen Hill, who is my 5th guy). So I think it makes sense to grab one of those 4 guys in the 1st.

At OG, I think it may depend on if they think they can get one of their top 5 in the 2nd round. Looking at the mock drafts, it is possible but not sure how likely. Really, it depends on if Gruden was counting guys like Konz, Reiff, Osemele, etc. as OGs or other line positions (C, OT, etc.).

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1332634536' post='1111713']Tried posting a new topic about 21st pick but my phone is being a dick. Who you see at 21 if next few picks are: 17. Bengals - Kuechly 18. Chargers - OT Jonathan Martin, Stanford 19. Bears - OG Cordy Glenn, Georgia 20. Titans - CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama ?[/quote]

Kendall Wright or Rueben Randle

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1332634536' post='1111713']
Tried posting a new topic about 21st pick but my phone is being a dick.

Who you see at 21 if next few picks are:
17. Bengals - Kuechly
18. Chargers - OT Jonathan Martin, Stanford
19. Bears - OG Cordy Glenn, Georgia
20. Titans - CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama

?
[/quote]

Jenkins (on my phone can't remember if he is still an option) great talent and little pressure given our CB situation. If they can trade down to 27-29 I'd do that and target Martin.

Archived