Positions you think we could target in the Draft

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1332852813' post='1112465']
BPA all the way! (Best Polynesian Available)... At the very least, I like that Silatolu in maybe the 2nd.

Losing Fanene hurt our Polynesian mojo. Gotta fix that ASAP.
[/quote]

The Johnson number is pretty low as well.

Needs or BPA: I have four needs that i think need to be addressed

1. WR - we should draft one in the first three picks (round one or two)
2. OG - should come out of the first three picks( round one or two)
3. S - should come in the Second or Third round -
4. CB - should come out of The first three picks if you can't address the S issue..

Round 4 5 and 6 - should be BPA for a DT or DE, RB, WR, LB

I see the draft like this
Round one: Gaurd, WR - Would love Floyd and Castro
Round Two: S/CB - BPA- Would love Barren
Round Three: CB /S - BPA - Unsure best CB on the table....
Round Four: RB/LB - BPA -
Round Five: WR/LB/RB - BPA
Round Six: DE/DL- BPA

What i see... unrealistic - but i'd be happy

[quote name='mhfinks' timestamp='1332864209' post='1112539']
I see the draft like this
Round one: Gaurd, WR - Would love Floyd and Castro
Round Two: S/CB - BPA- Would love Barren...

What i see... unrealistic - but i'd be happy
[/quote]

It's hard to imagine anyone here that wouldn't be happy with that. Unrealistic? Yeah, but stranger things have happened.

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1332787211' post='1112274']
I think the first 4 picks come from CB, G, WR, RB, LB.

I think Boling would be comparable to any 2nd-3rd rounder.
[/quote]

i'd have to diagree with that statement. this year's guard class is stronger both at the top, and overall, than last year's was. boling was taken as the 6th guard and 101st pick in that 2011 class. i can't see how he'd hypothetically move higher if he was placed in this year's group... possibly not even as high as was selected.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1332866035' post='1112549']

no way. this guard class is stronger both at the top, and top to bottom than last year's. boling was taken as the 6th guard and 101st pick in that 2011 class. i can't see how he magically move higher in this year's group, and possibly not even as high as was selected.
[/quote]
Meaning we could.wait to draft a guard until round 4 and still get an upgrade, not in terms of immediate production though

no way. this guard class is stronger both at the top, and top to bottom than last year's. boling was taken as the 6th guard and 101st pick in that 2011 class. i can't see how he magically move higher in this year's group, and possibly not even as high as was selected.
[/quote]

Scouts Inc gave Boling a second round grade last year.

[/quote]

My comments are more geared to 2012. I think for this upcoming year, Boling with 1 year under his belt would be comparable to a rookie 2nd-3rd rounder even if Boling has less pure talent. I don't want to waste a high pick on a marginal upgrade so if it's not one of the studs, I think it becomes a much lower need.

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1332866899' post='1112554']

My comments are more geared to 2012. I think for this upcoming year, Boling with 1 year under his belt would be comparable to a rookie 2nd-3rd rounder even if Boling has less pure talent. I don't want to waste a high pick on a marginal upgrade so if it's not one of the studs, I think it becomes a much lower need.
[/quote]

ahhh, that gives everything an entirely different meaning. i didn't read it that way (obviously).

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1332872871' post='1112617']

well they were obviously wrong. the NFL Inc gave him a 4th round grade, and they know more than scouts inc does.
[/quote]

And the NFL gave Tom Brady a 6th round grade. They can be wrong too.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1332873375' post='1112631']

And the NFL gave Tom Brady a 6th round grade. They can be wrong too.
[/quote]

of course they can, but i'll trust their collective judgement over scouts inc, since they're actually professionals at what they do.

for every scouts inc 2nd round rating, you can/could go to a walterfootball and the like, and find boling rated as the 7th best guard for that year, which pretty much coincides with where he was picked....better than scouts inc, anyway.

[quote name='OneHeartBeat' timestamp='1332875946' post='1112680']
With all the rule changes favoring the passing game, I don't think you need to go WR early unless another superstar like AJ is there when we pick. I could see us going after Deveir Posey in the later rounds. In the first I think you have to go CB and OL.
[/quote]

i've been saying that all along. it's a very deep draft for wide receivers. we don't need the best guy in the field, just someone who can competently take pressure off AJ and add the the overall mix of the receiving corps. take advantage of the deep positions in the draft if you're able to.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1332876954' post='1112693']

i've been saying that all along. it's a very deep draft for wide receivers. we don't need the best guy in the field, just someone who can competently take pressure off AJ and add the the overall mix of the receiving corps. take advantage of the deep positions in the draft if you're able to.
[/quote]

The thing is, given the state of the Bengal's WR corps after Green, you can't put it off the table that the Bengals won't draft 2 WRs. So even if they got Floyd in the first, they could still come back and take a guy like Posey in the 5th, or Broyles for that matter in the 6th.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1332877121' post='1112694']

The thing is, given the state of the Bengal's WR corps after Green, you can't put it off the table that the Bengals won't draft 2 WRs. So even if they got Floyd in the first, they could still come back and take a guy like Posey in the 5th, or Broyles for that matter in the 6th.
[/quote]

we argued on floyd earlier, but i can see the value in what he brings to the field of play as being probably higher than any other WR out there. he opens up the passing game in all areas of the field. i was admittedly surprised by the times he ran at the combine... always noticed his physicality more. different guys bring different things to the table, but he'd bring a scary component to this offense when matched with what we already have.

i don't see where broyles would fit in, unless shipley's done, which i have no reason to believe. on top of which, broyles is the same player baby hawk is, though obviously more talented. posey could play the #2 for us, i think. but he'll be gone long before the 5th round, despite the mocks you've seen that show him there.

the main things i'd look for in a #2 is decent speed, sharp in their routes, ability/strength to get off the LOS and beat press, and reliable hands. there ought to be quite a few guys who legitimately could stake a claim to doing that in this draft.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1332877947' post='1112699']

we argued on floyd earlier, but i can see the value in what he brings to the field of play as being probably higher than any other WR out there. he opens up the passing game in all areas of the field. i was admittedly surprised by the times he ran at the combine... always noticed his physicality more. different guys bring different things to the table, but he'd bring a scary component to this offense when matched with what we already have.

i don't see where broyles would fit in, unless shipley's done, which i have no reason to believe. on top of which, broyles is the same player baby hawk is, though obviously more talented. posey could play the #2 for us, i think. but he'll be gone long before the 5th round, despite the mocks you've seen that show him there.
[/quote]

This is off Walter's:
[list=1]
[*]
[quote][img]http://walterfootball.com/college/OhioState_logo.gif[/img] [b] DeVier Posey, WR, Ohio State [/b] [b]
Height: 6-2. Weight: 211.
40 Time: 4.50. 10-Yd Split: 1.45.
Vertical: 36.5.
Broad: 10-3.
Arm: 31 3/8. Hand: 9 5/8.
Projected Round (2012): 5-7. [/b]
[i] 3/12/12: [/i] Posey only played in three games this season, catching 12 passes for 162 yards and two touchdowns. He was suspended to start 2011 and missed 10 games. Posey looked terrible at the Senior Bowl. He wasn't getting open and looked disinterested. Posey performed better at the Combine, but he has a lot to prove off the field to NFL teams.

[i] 8/19/11: [/i] DeVier Posey is probably regretting not declaring early for the NFL draft after the scandal that has rocked the Ohio State program. With a new quarterback, it will be a challenge for him to improve on his production from 2010. Posey caught 53 passes for 848 yards and seven touchdowns. He was very consistent with his sophomore year production of 60 receptions for 828 yards and eight scores. With size and speed, Posey has a nice skill set to potentially be a second or third receiver in the NFL. [/quote]
[/list]
They actually have Broyles at #17 in their WR rankings.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1332878173' post='1112701']

This is off Walter's:
[list=1]
[*]
[/list]
They actually have Broyles at #17 in their WR rankings.

[/quote]

that shows something very clearly to me....something i really don't agree with. devier is not a character risk. that bullshit with the NCAA isn't something that most teams are going to be all that concerned with. this isn't a bad egg.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1332878469' post='1112708']

that shows something very clearly to me....something i really don't agree with. devier is not a character risk. that bullshit with the NCAA isn't something that most teams are going to be all that concerned with. this isn't a bad egg.
[/quote]

He didnt stop doing it after he was caught. He is a moron risk.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1332879394' post='1112722']

He didnt stop doing it after he was caught. He is a moron risk.
[/quote]

I disagree. I think posey could be a steal in the late rounds and would allow us to focus on other needs. He did terrible at the senior bowl- so did dalton from what I hear. He's not a character risk at all. If he's there in the 4th which I think is a good possibility, I would take him.

[quote name='OneHeartBeat' timestamp='1332906410' post='1112929']
I disagree. I think posey could be a steal in the late rounds and would allow us to focus on other needs. He did terrible at the senior bowl- so did dalton from what I hear. He's not a character risk at all. If he's there in the 4th which I think is a good possibility, I would take him.
[/quote]

How can you disagree with a fact

[quote name='OneHeartBeat' timestamp='1332906410' post='1112929']
[/quote]

I like Posey a lot as a late round option. I don't think he's a bad kid at all. I'm as big an OSU fan as anyone you'll ever meet.

But taking cash in an envelope while OSU was in the midst of an NCAA investigation (and he was suspended for 5 games already) was beyond stupid. It almost has to be a strike against him in terms of his draft ranking to some extent because it shows extremely poor judgement.

Archived