Romney/Ryan

Jamie_B

Those who cry foul about the corporate tax levels never seem to point to specific tax increases that have caused problems. They just constantly say its too high. If they were too high and were at the root of poor job growth...couldn't we identify specific tax laws that have been enacted in the past 4, 8, 12 years that have crushed job growth? I know we can identify plenty of cuts, and yet we still see businesses not spending, not hiring, and recording record profits. Seems fishy to me.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' timestamp='1345024261' post='1146468']
Here's a decent starting point:

[url="http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/tentrillion/"]Ten Trillion and Counting[/url]
[/quote]

Makes me wish Shrub had been smothered in his crib.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' timestamp='1345058556' post='1146612']
Actually...bullshit. The point is not to take credit for material others have written. I'm pretty sure that if you managed to type "The same guy who said" on a cell phone, you could just as easily have typed, "Wikipedia says this about Stockman:"

And in my case, I knew Stockman for an asshat back in the early 80s, and later I read his book after he split with the Reagan admin. Same old supply-side nonsense then as now--the only difference is that 30 years of supply-side econ has helped to functionally ruin the Republican party. It's one reason old-time fiscal conservatives are in the process of being pushed out of the party.

And btw, this Ryan cat is a supply-sider and gives Jack Kemp a reach-around, too.
[/quote]

Wikipedia is not a reliable source. As Wikipedia is wrote by individuals who get the info from somewhere else. In other words, Wiki didn't build it but the individual ( s ) did. The sources are listed on the bottom of the page and there were over 20 references. I checked a couple just to verify some form of accuracy. I try to post a link so that the individual poster can verify this info easily but in this case I didn't and left it in quotations. Doing this on a smart phone makes it difficult to continually go back to post links. Without the link I could continue to say so and so said without any independant verification. Independent verification on these videos which are posted takes alot of time and very seldom contain links to verify what the speaker is spouting off about.

If this is the norm for posting I suggest checking the umpteen number of posts here with no verification whatsoever of where the info comes from. Economics can be skewed any which way as long as the numbers match what the individual poster wants them to be. Without a credible source, of which is difficult to ascertain who or what is deemed credible, all this info is just BS.

In regards to the Jack Kemp reach around, do you have a reference ? or is this a form of rhetoric ? In which case you could say "Homer says this about Jack Kemp" ... :ninja:

Don't be so silly, Numbers. It's really quite simple. When you use your own words, it's one thing. When you deliberately copy/paste something that is not your own words, and don't give attribution thereby allowing others to believe that the words are yours, then that's something else. There's a term for that. It isn't a nice one.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' timestamp='1345124446' post='1146880']
Don't be so silly, Numbers. It's really quite simple. When you use your own words, it's one thing. When you deliberately copy/paste something that is not your own words, and don't give attribution thereby allowing others to believe that the words are yours, then that's something else. There's a term for that. It isn't a nice one.
[/quote]

Not intentionally silly. The statement you are referring to started with "The same guy who said:" not to be confused with something I said in other words. Plagarism would have began with anything to hide the fact it was someone else's words and certainly the use of quotes was a giveaway that these were not my words. However, technically my inability to cite references in itself could be considered plagarism but I guess that would also mean quite a few others are guilty as well.

[quote name='Numbers' timestamp='1345125608' post='1146899']
Not intentionally silly. The statement you are referring to started with "The same guy who said:" not to be confused with something I said in other words. Plagarism would have began with anything to hide the fact it was someone else's words and certainly the use of quotes was a giveaway that these were not my words. However, technically my inability to cite references in itself could be considered plagarism but I guess that would also mean quite a few others are guilty as well.
[/quote]
[url="http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=65142&st=150#entry1146390"]You didn't use quotes.[/url]

I chided you because you were sloppy. Don't make it any worse.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' timestamp='1345126808' post='1146916']
[url="http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=65142&st=150#entry1146390"]You didn't use quotes.[/url]

I chided you because you were sloppy. Don't make it any worse.
[/quote]

Oh my... I usually try to be an ethical writer and gererally try to list the correct citation of sources. I just don't agree that anybody could construe those words as being mine. Nobody here runs proper citations. Please check you previous writings to determine that you also use proper citations. It makes no sense why mine were singled out unless you had an agenda to discredit someone who does not believe in what has been said on this forum.

Not trying to make it worse, just trying to understand why my posting was singled out of all the other posters which have no sources whatsoever to include your posts as well. In other words, this is somewhat hypocritical.

[quote name='Numbers' timestamp='1345128329' post='1146929']
Oh my... I usually try to be an ethical writer and gererally try to list the correct citation of sources. I just don't agree that anybody could construe those words as being mine. [b]Nobody here runs proper citations.[/b] [b]Please check you previous writings to determine that you also use proper citations.[/b] It makes no sense why mine were singled out unless you had an agenda to discredit someone who does not believe in what has been said on this forum.

Not trying to make it worse, just trying to understand why my posting was singled out of all the other posters which have no sources whatsoever to include your posts as well. In other words, this is somewhat hypocritical.
[/quote]
I pointed it out because it was an obvious case of plagiarism. Even so, I did it gently. [url="http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=40881&st=25#entry636596"]It's not the first time I've noticed plagiarism.[/url]

Actually, most people here cite properly when they quote another source.

I have no need for me to review my thousands of posts to see if I have plagiarized. I know the answer. You, however, are welcome to review my postings to see whether or not I have any scruples in this regard.

Finally, I don't think you are unethical. Careless, yes. Sloppy, yes. Deliberately use the words of others without citing them? Not in any vain way, but still, there are rules to the game. I didn't make them up.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' timestamp='1345129461' post='1146937']
I pointed it out because it was an obvious case of plagiarism. Even so, I did it gently. [url="http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=40881&st=25#entry636596"]It's not the first time I've noticed plagiarism.[/url]

I have no need for me to review my thousands of posts to see if I have plagiarized. I know the answer. You, however, are welcome to review my postings to see whether or not I have any scruples in this regard.

Finally, I don't think you are unethical. Careless, yes. Sloppy, yes. Deliberately use the words of others without citing them? Not in any vain way, but still, there are rules to the game. I didn't make them up.
[/quote]

I remember that thread! Ah, how naive I was back in those halcyon days! Now, thanks to my exposure to the likes of you, I am cynical and jaded. So thanks!

:lol:

[quote name='Homer_Rice' timestamp='1345129461' post='1146937']

[/quote]

Yes. Most people don't use proper citations. The rules of the game are defined nicely. Which should we use ? WPA guidelines ? I understand you didn't make them up but its the first time I've ever seen an attempt to adhere to them on a sports board that has a political sub forum. Depending upon which guidelines we are to follow would determine whether or not anybody uses proper guidelines. I could look at all the posts but I too know the answer.

APA, MLA, CHICAGO... Your call.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1345129987' post='1146940']
I remember that thread! Ah, how naive I was back in those halcyon days! Now, thanks to my exposure to the likes of you, I am cynical and jaded. So thanks!

:lol:
[/quote]
I took a few minutes and skimmed through that thread. I"m thinking that I've become more tired these past years. I don't take as much time as I used to talking about econ, etc... Sorry about that. I also miss BZ. Hope he's doing well up in Canada.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1345130010' post='1146941']
This is the first time I've ever seen anyone get shat on for plagiarism on the internet,this is master level trollage, Homer +1
[/quote]

Lol. Trolling is for you young whippersnappers. Me, I'm just a curmudgeon. Seriously, though, all my academic and writing training took place in the pre-Internet days. Back then, it was more work to plagiarize. I talk to friends of mine who teach and apparently this has become a pretty serious problem over the years. Much more frequent.

[quote name='Numbers' timestamp='1345130498' post='1146945']
Yes. Most people don't use proper citations. The rules of the game are defined nicely. Which should we use ? WPA guidelines ? I understand you didn't make them up but its the first time I've ever seen an attempt to adhere to them on a sports board that has a political sub forum. Depending upon which guidelines we are to follow would determine whether or not anybody uses proper guidelines. I could look at all the posts but I too know the answer.

[/quote]

Stop. Just stop. You keep displaying both ignorance and a sort of stupid stubbornness in defending an indefensible position. I'd like to think that you are better than this. Don't ruin my appreciation for your comments.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' timestamp='1345130986' post='1146950']

Stop. Just stop. You keep displaying both ignorance and a sort of stupid stubbornness in defending an indefensible position. I'd like to think that you are better than this. Don't ruin my appreciation for your comments.
[/quote]

Your education is to be commended. It's not an indefensible position as long as there are two opinions left. I enjoy our discussions but do not agree with your position. Since there is no compromise on this I agree to stop. Simply agree to disagree.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' timestamp='1345130599' post='1146946']
I took a few minutes and skimmed through that thread. I"m thinking that I've become more tired these past years. I don't take as much time as I used to talking about econ, etc... Sorry about that. I also miss BZ. Hope he's doing well up in Canada.
[/quote]

I miss [b]BZ[/b] too. I wonder whatever happened to him? I always do that. When you have a internet spot like this one and have very active members just disappear, it makes you wonder what occurred to cause that to happen. [b]Catscratcfever[/b] is another one of the early guys I don't see anymore. At least [b]BlackJesus[/b] pops in from time to time.

[quote name='Numbers' timestamp='1345130498' post='1146945']

[/quote]

Really? You're going to stoop to the level of talking about proper citations in paper writing vs just saying where you got the info if your using a direct quote? Really?

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1345133277' post='1146966']
I miss [b]BZ[/b] too. I wonder whatever happened to him? I always do that. When you have a internet spot like this one and have very active members just disappear, it makes you wonder what occurred to cause that to happen. [b]Catscratcfever[/b] is another one of the early guys I don't see anymore. At least [b]BlackJesus[/b] pops in from time to time.
[/quote]

I miss [b]CHD[/b] he always was able to chime in with some knowledge that made me think.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1345135778' post='1146993']

Really? You're going to stoop to the level of talking about proper citations in paper writing vs just saying where you got the info if your using a direct quote? Really?
[/quote]

I did not correct someone's post for grammatical correctness and then go on to say their are rules to the game in reference to citations. There are rules but I did not try to say this is place for them because it would have been bad form unless it is brought up by others. I'm assuming you enjoy when others don't stay on topic and would rather tell you how to spell. Much the same here.

[quote name='Numbers' timestamp='1345136435' post='1147005']
I did not correct someone's post for grammatical correctness and then go on to say their are rules to the game in reference to citations. There are rules but I did not try to say this is place for them because it would have been bad form unless it is brought up by others. I'm assuming you enjoy when others don't stay on topic and would rather tell you how to spell. Much the same here.
[/quote]

:facepalm:

Archived