2012-2013 TV Discussion

Go Skins

[quote name='Actium' timestamp='1355858800' post='1195294']
I spend Tuesday morning usually reading recaps/commentaries on the show, and I've seen the theory tossed around quite a bit, so that may have blunted the surprise factor.

However, it did not diminish the impact. Also, while I guessed that Ted would spill the beans to Robin (and that Barney told him for just that reason) I did not surmise that he factored in a psychological fail-safe (that Ted would not tell Robin about the proposal to Patrice unless Ted had let her go, thus tacitly giving his blessing)
[/quote]

I also really enjoyed the double meaning behind the toasting of Ted, "without whom none of this would be possible," since he put/kept together Lily & Marshall and Barney & Robin. Plus the poetic image of him alone in a crowded room at the end. Truly a brilliant episode that almost, almost makes up for the pile of crappy ones.

[quote name='Actium' timestamp='1355859163' post='1195299']
I also really enjoyed the double meaning behind the toasting of Ted, "without whom none of this would be possible," since he put/kept together Lily & Marshall and Barney & Robin. [b]Plus the poetic image of him alone in a crowded room at the end.[/b] Truly a brilliant episode that almost, almost makes up for the pile of crappy ones.
[/quote]

I really thought they were going to have him meet someone in that scene. Also got the impression from the shot that he's maybe not actually over Robin, but I really hope they don't go down that road again.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1355859336' post='1195300']
I really thought they were going to have him meet someone in that scene. Also got the impression from the shot that he's maybe not actually over Robin, but I really hope they don't go down that road again.
[/quote]

Not sure if I've mentioned it before...I've seen it theorized, and half-believe, that in the future Barney/Robin are broken up as are Ted and the Mother. In that scenario Ted is most likely a widower, and he's telling his kids the story of his life before he met the Mother because he wants to reveal to them how much Robin means to him. He is going to tell them that he and Robin are going to get together.

For that reason, I don't expect Marshall to give up on his bet to Lily about Robin and Ted getting together. I believe the last scene will incorporate in some way Lily paying up to Marshall. Also maybe a slap to Barney (if he's still alive LOL).

Of course, the whole theory above would be quite bittersweet, so it is probably unlikely. However, it seems like something the show might do so I'm keeping it in the back of my mind until something occurs to make it impossible

[quote name='Actium' timestamp='1355859732' post='1195305']
Not sure if I've mentioned it before...I've seen it theorized, and half-believe, that in the future Barney/Robin are broken up as are Ted and the Mother. In that scenario Ted is most likely a widower, and he's telling his kids the story of his life before he met the Mother because he wants to reveal to them how much Robin means to him. He is going to tell them that he and Robin are going to get together.

For that reason, I don't expect Marshall to give up on his bet to Lily about Robin and Ted getting together. I believe the last scene will incorporate in some way Lily paying up to Marshall. Also maybe a slap to Barney (if he's still alive LOL).

Of course, the whole theory above would be quite bittersweet, so it is probably unlikely. However, it seems like something the show might do so I'm keeping it in the back of my mind until something occurs to make it impossible
[/quote]

I've seen variations of that theory (with the mom being dead, hence why he's telling the story), and don't think its far-fetched, but I see robin/barney lasting.

[quote name='Actium' timestamp='1355859732' post='1195305']

[/quote]

[b]TVLINE [color=#999999]|[/color] Before we get to Monday’s romantic episode, the buzz is that you were hoping to get an answer to the looming renewal question by the end of this month so you can start planning for a season or series finale.[/b]
[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]We’re right in the middle of it. If you had any idea the kind of white-knuckled, nail-biting going on… It’s very exciting. But we’re all very confident it will work out. We’re hoping to announce something at the TCAs [winter press tour in January]. Our goal is say one way or the other by then.[/size][/font][/color]
[b]TVLINE [color=#999999]|[/color] Is there an absolute drop-dead date by which you have to know?[/b]
[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]We’d love to know today. We’d love to know tomorrow. But the drop-dead date for us is the TCAs in January, when we make that announcement.[/size][/font][/color]
[url="http://tvline.com/2012/12/18/how-i-met-your-mother-season-8-spoilers-carter-bays-barney-robin-engaged/"]http://tvline.com/20...-robin-engaged/[/url]

I think that episode was a great way for Ted to finally let go of robin. Just like Barney said, if he tells robin it means he is finally giving his blessing and moving on.

With that being said, after the wedding he is obviously upset right before he meets the mother. So not sure exactly why he is upset, but I really hope it's not due to still having feelings for robin.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1355870176' post='1195385']
I think that episode was a great way for Ted to finally let go of robin. Just like Barney said, if he tells robin it means he is finally giving his blessing and moving on.

With that being said, after the wedding he is obviously upset right before he meets the mother. So not sure exactly why he is upset, but I really hope it's not due to still having feelings for robin.
[/quote]

Maybe Robin asked Ted to leave the wedding because of the "no exes at weddings" rule? And it caused a fight amongst all the friends, before Ted, being the selfless friend he is, acquiesced to the request? I could see accounting for him being upset/hurt without going back down the Robin road.

[quote name='Actium' timestamp='1355872850' post='1195396']

Maybe Robin asked Ted to leave the wedding because of the "no exes at weddings" rule? And it caused a fight amongst all the friends, before Ted, being the selfless friend he is, acquiesced to the request? I could see accounting for him being upset/hurt without going back down the Robin road.
[/quote]

Possibly but he's the frickin best man.

I think it's more likely that by the end of the night, no matter how bad the wedding goes (which apparently it does go bad, but they do get married) Ted sees Barney and robin leave happily together and in love, same with Marshall and lily, and then just gets super depressed and feels alon similar to the end of last nights episode.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1355873582' post='1195402']
Possibly but he's the frickin best man.

I think it's more likely that by the end of the night, no matter how bad the wedding goes (which apparently it does go bad, but they do get married) Ted sees Barney and robin leave happily together and in love, same with Marshall and lily, and then just gets super depressed and feels alon similar to the end of last nights episode.
[/quote]

I really enjoyed Barney's meta-comment last night that his friends "have no boundaries." In real life, the gang's incestuousness and almost pathological closeness would be creepy indeed. In a way the show (and sitcoms in general) are very unhealthy in the way they treat "outsiders" (read: love interests not a part of the group)

Happy with the news. Hasn't been a great season, but I don't know how much the being in limbo had to do with that. Also, more HIMYM is better than no HIMYM regardless of if its still at its peak. It would have been cool to see Cobie Smulders in the new S.H.I.E.L.D. show though, but that was never a sure thing and could still happen at a later date.

[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)][url="https://twitter.com/TVLineNews"][b]TVLine.com[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]TVLineNews[/b][/size][/url][/background][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Report: HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER Renewed for Season 9 After Jason Segel's Last-Minute Reversal [url="http://t.co/wfpCOZsX"][size=1]http://[/size]tvline.com/2012/12/21/how[size=1]-i-met-your-mother-renewed-season-9/[/size]…[/url][/background][/font][/color]

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1356908116' post='1201311']
1181 and others in the know. What shows are starting up in January and would it be fun/possible to do a thread that served as a kind of fantasy footballesque prediction game where we guess if they will be renewed or not
[/quote]

looking forward to The American's on FX. Set in the cold war, about russian spies posing as an American couple in the suburbs who happen to move in next to an FBI agent.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1356963219' post='1201727']
looking forward to The American's on FX. Set in the cold war, about russian spies posing as an American couple in the suburbs who happen to move in next to an FBI agent.
[/quote]

So lets do this fantasy league!!! Where is the list of new shows?

[quote name='Actium' timestamp='1357667711' post='1206400']
Anyone watch that Deception show? It was completely corny, as expected, but I have a soft spot in my heart for bad whodunnits.
[/quote]

was that on last night? I was going to at least check it out, but it seems like a cheap rip off of Revenge.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1357668139' post='1206405']
was that on last night? I was going to at least check it out, but it seems like a cheap rip off of Revenge.
[/quote]

Yes, the BCS game was abysmal so I watched it instead of recording it.

I didn't see Revenge but Deception does have this cheesy aura that suggests cashing in on another show's success

[quote name='Actium' timestamp='1357668452' post='1206409']
Yes, the BCS game was abysmal so I watched it instead of recording it.

I didn't see Revenge but Deception does have this cheesy aura that suggests cashing in on another show's success
[/quote]

wonder if it was a sneak peek. I can't imagine they'd be stupid enough to debut any show against the national championship.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1357668656' post='1206410']
wonder if it was a sneak peek. I can't imagine they'd be stupid enough to debut any show against the national championship.
[/quote]

It was the pilot.

I think they were that stupid, but strangely enough it worked out (at least for me)

Archived