Marvin's horrible decision

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1349644250' post='1167662']
Dude the sky isn't falling. The Bengals were in the playoffs last year and are 2-2 this year. Did you expect this team to go undefeated or something? They are still very young, sure you don't hope they lose games, but you have to still expect some growing pains. You have to take into account this team has had a lot of injuries and some of the guys are spending more time out on the field than usual.

I repeat, the sky is not falling.
[/quote]

yeah but I wanted them to win against the dolphin,and the game against Cleveland doesn't look like it's going to get any easier.

[quote name='bigboi' timestamp='1349645409' post='1167681']
yeah but I wanted them to win against the dolphin,and the game against Cleveland doesn't look like it's going to get any easier.
[/quote]

Ha! I want see them win every game, but we can't always get what we want right? Ask Jason, he still hasn't hooked up with Kim K. yet!

Everyone know the Packers are a great team, but they lost to the Colts today.

The call to go for the 2 point conversion would not have been convention.. It's not a bad idea to go for it, but you can hardly lambast someone for not in that situation. I know people want to be able to point the finger at a singular event or person. But the reality is the players failed to execute. The offense should have got more than 6 points off those 2 TO's, Nugent should have made the kick, and Andy threw a game sealing INT in the final drive.

Guys had a bad game. It happens in the NFL to everyone. This is still a young offense and will continue to get more consistent. They just need to dust themselves off, move on to next week and beat the fucking Browns.

[quote name='NYbengals' timestamp='1349646179' post='1167695']
He should have went for 2. The PAT was meaningless.
[/quote]

With still a qrtr to play you simply don't know that. There were several scenarios that could have made getting that point important.

[quote name='Orange 'n Black' timestamp='1349646530' post='1167701']
No way. That was a shit call. There is no difference between a 4- and a 5- point deficit, especially that late. You go for the 2 - if you miss it, it's the same 2 score game as it is with the XP. Marvin blew that call, no question.
[/quote]

A call like that dictates the rest of the game. When you start having different part differentials it doesn't just affect your own team's plays, but also the play calling and decisions of the other team. I know that sounds simple, but most coaches don't like being put in 'have to' situations. You save game changing decisions for the end of the game.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1349646730' post='1167706']
A call like that dictates the rest of the game. When you start having different part differentials it doesn't just affect your own team's plays, but also the play calling and decisions of the other team. I know that sounds simple, but most coaches don't like being put in 'have to' situations. You save game changing decisions for the end of the game.
[/quote]

I don't think it changed anything - like I said there's no difference being down 4 or 5. You go for the 2, you can tie with a FG. Take the XP, you still need a TD, just the same as if you miss the conversion. Aside from the early 4th down conversion, there was not much aggression on O from the Bengals, and they've done very well taking risks this year.

[quote name='Orange 'n Black' timestamp='1349646530' post='1167701']
No way. That was a shit call. [b]There is no difference between a 4- and a 5- point deficit[/b], especially that late. You go for the 2 - if you miss it, it's the same 2 score game as it is with the XP. Marvin blew that call, no question.
[/quote]

It matters unless you think your d is going to pitch a shutout. If bengals score another TD, it's 20-17 with Miami driving to tie instead of win on a fg with a missed 2-pt. Of course you could follow a missed 2-pt with another 2-pt attempt on the next TD to get back to even.

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1349647222' post='1167712']
It matters unless you think your d is going to pitch a shutout. If bengals score another TD, it's 20-17 with Miami driving to tie instead of win on a fg with a missed 2-pt. Of course you could follow a missed 2-pt with another 2-pt attempt on the next TD to get back to even.
[/quote]

yep. That's why you don't go for 2 until you HAVE to.

[quote name='Orange 'n Black' timestamp='1349646976' post='1167709']
I don't think it changed anything - like I said there's no difference being down 4 or 5. You go for the 2, you can tie with a FG. Take the XP, you still need a TD, just the same as if you miss the conversion. Aside from the early 4th down conversion, there was not much aggression on O from the Bengals, and they've done very well taking risks this year.
[/quote]

I want to point out, there are a lot of people wrongly accusing Marvin of coaching not to lose, instead of coaching to win. Has everyone forgotten Marvin's decision to do a Wildcat play with Sanu on the first play of the game? How about the fake punt? The failed fake FG? Damn if you guys want some crafty play calling coaches, become an LSU fan.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1349647293' post='1167714']
yep. That's why you don't go for 2 until you HAVE to.
[/quote]

That has been the point I have been trying to make. Force the other team into those tough decisions. Make them be the one that does something silly that can lose the game.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1349647398' post='1167717']
That has been the point I have been trying to make. Force the other team into those tough decisions. Make them be the one that does something silly that can lose the game.
[/quote]

I don't think it would have been a risky or silly call at all - it was totally justified in that situation. It didn't decide the game but it would have been the right call.

[quote name='Orange 'n Black' timestamp='1349647711' post='1167719']
I don't think it would have been a risky or silly call at all - it was totally justified in that situation. It didn't decide the game but it would have been the right call.
[/quote]

you are missing the point though. Yes it might have been the right call if there was 5 or less minutes left in the game, but at that point there was enough time that the scoring could have flopped in the Bengal's favor, and left Miami to make a tough decision. I think that is a clear way of summing up the situation.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1349647979' post='1167721']
you are missing the point though. Yes it might have been the right call if there was 5 or less minutes left in the game, but at that point there was enough time that the scoring could have flopped in the Bengal's favor, and left Miami to make a tough decision. I think that is a clear way of summing up the situation.
[/quote]

I think that's "Marvin logic" - we'll do this because it could go our way afterward. They've had success this year - and most good football teams have success - by being decisive and taking opportunities when they come. It doesn't always go your way (fake FG earlier this season), but as they say, the football gods smile on that kind of thing. I wanted them to go for it.

[quote name='Orange 'n Black' timestamp='1349648177' post='1167725']
I think that's "Marvin logic" - we'll do this because it could go our way afterward. They've had success this year - and most good football teams have success - by being decisive and taking opportunities when they come. It doesn't always go your way (fake FG earlier this season), but as they say, the football gods smile on that kind of thing. I wanted them to go for it.
[/quote]

You are still not seeing what I am saying. If you take your logic, teams might as well go for 2 everytime, if you are going to do it that early in the game. The success percent fo a 2 point conversion isn't that high, especially when the Bengals running game sucks. So why do it that early when you can hopefully score enough to flip positions with Miami, setting them up for a tough decision that against the percentages?

[quote name='High School Harry' timestamp='1349648839' post='1167733']
According to you NOTHING is ever Marvin's fault.

Look at this thread... you are defending and rationalizing everything he did.

Seriously.
[/quote]

You see it that way because you don't like Marvin.. I see people trying to hang the loss on something that wasn't the problem.. It may not have been the "gutsy" call. but it's the one made in the NFL almost every time in that situation. This is just typical post loss finger pointing by pissed off fans.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1349648378' post='1167729']
You are still not seeing what I am saying. If you take your logic, teams might as well go for 2 everytime, if you are going to do it that early in the game. The success percent fo a 2 point conversion isn't that high, especially when the Bengals running game sucks. So why do it that early when you can hopefully score enough to flip positions with Miami, setting them up for a tough decision that against the percentages?
[/quote]

I do see what you're saying - and I'm saying that it would have been a good call in that situation. Again, there's very little difference between being down 4 versus 5. The risk vs. reward in that situation is very favorable to you, and why hope the other team will make decisions that benefit you?

[quote name='Orange 'n Black' timestamp='1349649076' post='1167736']
I do see what you're saying - and I'm saying that it would have been a good call in that situation. Again, there's very little difference between being down 4 versus 5. The risk vs. reward in that situation is very favorable to you, and why hope the other team will make decisions that benefit you?
[/quote]

It's simple. If you and I were playing a game, would you rather force me to try and win with a move that only works 35% or the time, or would you rather be forced to do the same thing? Plus, you haven't been good at the talent you need to convert all day long.

What move do you make? Its a no brainer.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1349649023' post='1167734']

You see it that way because you don't like Marvin.. I see people trying to hang the loss on something that wasn't the problem.. It may not have been the "gutsy" call. but it's the one made in the NFL almost every time in that situation. This is just typical post loss finger pointing by pissed off fans.
[/quote]
I don't agree. It's one loss no big deal.
I see a problem with Marvin's in game decisions. It's been a problem through his tenure here
Just like his challenges in the playoff game last season.
I worry about the long term and big game with Marvin as head coach.

Archived