We're locked into the 21st pick in the 1st round

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1357450548' post='1205239']
Can't imagine we go WR in first or second day of the draft. I think the idea will be to ride Sanu and Jones into their second year.
[/quote]

I think this is the idea.

No reason to draft someone when you have Green, Jones, and Sanu to build around

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1357451122' post='1205242']
Tavon Austin could play both WR and RB. I like that.
[/quote]

If there was anyone to draft at WR it would be Austin to replace Hawkins and become a returner, but think we can find someone else like a RB like Benard or Barner to do that job

You know, looking at our 2012 draft picks, we didn't get a lot out of them, other than Zeitler and Marvin Jones.

[b] Draft Tracker[/b]

[b] [/b]

[url="http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012"]NFL Draft[/url]
Round Pick Player Position
1 17 (17) Kirkpatrick, Dre CB (From Raiders)
1 27 (27) Zeitler, Kevin G (From Saints through Patriots)
2 21 (53) Still, Devon DT
3 20 (83) Sanu, Mohamed WR
3 30 (93) Thompson, Brandon DT (From Patriots)
4 21 (116) Charles, Orson TE
5 21 (156) Prater, Shaun CB
5 31 (166) Jones, Marvin WR (From Patriots)
5 32 (167) Iloka, George FS (From Giants)
6 21 (191) Herron, Dan RB

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1357478422' post='1205281']
You know, looking at our 2012 draft picks, we didn't get a lot out of them, other than Zeitler and Marvin Jones.

[b] Draft Tracker[/b]

[b] [/b]

[url="http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012"]NFL Draft[/url]
Round Pick Player Position
1 17 (17) Kirkpatrick, Dre CB (From Raiders)
1 27 (27) Zeitler, Kevin G (From Saints through Patriots)
2 21 (53) Still, Devon DT
3 20 (83) Sanu, Mohamed WR
3 30 (93) Thompson, Brandon DT (From Patriots)
4 21 (116) Charles, Orson TE
5 21 (156) Prater, Shaun CB
5 31 (166) Jones, Marvin WR (From Patriots)
5 32 (167) Iloka, George FS (From Giants)
6 21 (191) Herron, Dan RB
[/quote]

Yeah, but Dre's injuries made it pretty much a washout, and the play of the backup DL like Gilberry and Sims meant that the pups got a redshirt year. I think Still needs to play lower/get stronger for next fall.

Charles made some plays and got some snaps, Sanu showed he'll be a key part going forward, and Boom showed he has something, at least as a ST guy.

I still think they had a nice haul and it'll show up more next year and beyond.

[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1357479912' post='1205286']
Yeah, but Dre's injuries made it pretty much a washout, and the play of the backup DL like Gilberry and Sims meant that the pups got a redshirt year. I think Still needs to play lower/get stronger for next fall.

Charles made some plays and got some snaps, Sanu showed he'll be a key part going forward, and Boom showed he has something, at least as a ST guy.

I still think they had a nice haul and it'll show up more next year and beyond.
[/quote]

Oh I know. I guess I should have expounded on my post.
I didn't mean it in a bad way. I meant we won 10 games
and made the Playoffs without much from our 2012 draft.

Would not draft a RB in 1. There isn't one that is truly a first round pick and we don't need one badly enough to reach for one. I do want to add a back with speed though.

Rey sucked yesterday in coverage. I am off his bandwagon, and would move Burfict inside, hope Howard is ready to go at WLB next year and draft Chase Thomas for SLB.

Note to BJ, from what I have seen, Elam is not a good tackler. He too often goes for the hit instead of making the sure tackle. That won't work in the NFL.

I would not object to drafting a WR at any point if he is the BPA, but I don't think that will "fix our problem" Young WRs struggle. We will get better at WR by Jones and Sanu getting better.

I was against drafting another WR but the offense clearly needs more/better weapons. Sanu is going to be a good slot WR but I'm not sure if Jones is the answer at the other outside spot. If we can replace Tate with a beast #2 guy it would make Dalton and Green even better.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1357482870' post='1205303']
I was against drafting another WR but the offense clearly needs more/better weapons. Sanu is going to be a good slot WR but I'm not sure if Jones is the answer at the other outside spot. If we can replace Tate with a beast #2 guy it would make Dalton and Green even better.
[/quote]

I agree and if they get a WR, I'd prefer a vet with some skins on the wall, who has shown an ability to get separation and make plays. As it is, you have a very green WR corps.

[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1357483470' post='1205309']
I agree and if they get a WR, I'd prefer a vet with some skins on the wall, who has shown an ability to get separation and make plays. As it is, you have a very green WR corps.
[/quote]
A vet #2 WR would be nice but in today's free agency they get huge contracts. I don't see anyone not on the team already getting a big contract. That's why I think if they want to add a stud #2 they'll do it via draft.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1357484017' post='1205314']

A vet #2 WR would be nice but in today's free agency they get huge contracts. I don't see anyone not on the team already getting a big contract. That's why I think if they want to add a stud #2 they'll do it via draft.
[/quote]

For a stud, yes I agree. I think they need a vet WR to be part of their top 4. I think Jones or Sanu will emerge as the starter but they need another guy.

You're right - the team's history is that they will pay $ to keep their own talent, and find reasonably priced FAs. Not sure who the WRs are, but hopefully, there are some who could fit that requirement.

The receiving corps needs a safety valve. Tom Brady has about 4. Brees has at least 2. We may be able to call AJ one, but he gets so much attention, there is no chance you can go to him every play. Gresh is so inconsistent. Hawkins had one game over 6 catches, and pretty much disappeared after the big game in Washington, it seemed.

Wes Welker and Julian Edelman will both be FA's. Tavon Austin is quick enough to be a factor at the next level. Giovanni Bernard looks like he can catch out of the backfield. Regardless, they need someone to help alleviate pressure on third down. That was the big story of the day. They were getting Rey on Foster and Daniels on third down over the middle. While I can only remember throwing to a covered Gresham over the middle. We need more playmakers on offense.

Also, PLZ take Honey Badger.

Can't imagine we go WR in first or second day of the draft. I think the idea will be to ride Sanu and Jones into their second year.
[/quote]

I could see a WR as high as the 3rd round to replace Tate on special teams and to be a potential starter down the line.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1357451122' post='1205242']
Tavon Austin could play both WR and RB. I like that.
[/quote]

yea he's the only WR I'd take high because he also is your starting punt and kick returner, and can be your change of pace RB for another 5-8 snaps a game.

I don't think they need to take a first round WR, but he's a guy with world class speed who would be touching the ball roughly 20-25 times a game between WR, RB and KR/PR. That IMO warrants a first round pick.

Also, while he played a lot of slot at WVU, I'm not worried about him playing outside. Small guys not being able to play outside is overrated IMO. It's about running good routes and getting separation. Do those things and it doesn't matter if you're 5'9" like Austin, or 6'5".

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1357485871' post='1205334']
The receiving corps needs a safety valve. Tom Brady has about 4. Brees has at least 2. We may be able to call AJ one, but he gets so much attention, there is no chance you can go to him every play. Gresh is so inconsistent. Hawkins had one game over 6 catches, and pretty much disappeared after the big game in Washington, it seemed.

Wes Welker and Julian Edelman will both be FA's. Tavon Austin is quick enough to be a factor at the next level. Giovanni Bernard looks like he can catch out of the backfield. Regardless, they need someone to help alleviate pressure on third down. That was the big story of the day. They were getting Rey on Foster and Daniels on third down over the middle. While I can only remember throwing to a covered Gresham over the middle. We need more playmakers on offense.

Also, PLZ take Honey Badger.
[/quote]

Hawkins should have been that safety valve. Poor gameplanning IMO.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1357482207' post='1205296']
Skov is returning to school
[/quote]

skov is a senior.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1357490645' post='1205394']
skov is a senior.
[/quote]
Right... but he was granted an extra year of eligibility since he missed all but 3 games of his junior season with an injury. I'll look for the link.

[/quote]

I could easily see the Bengals taking a WR in one of the first three rounds depending on who is there when they pick. I am not so sure they are really happy with what they have at WR. Just in the last two weeks they have added Sanzenbacher and Tueni and they already had two WRs on the practice squad. If they were completely happy with what they have WR, I am not sure they would be stockpiling WRs headed into the off season.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1357491619' post='1205404']
I could easily see the Bengals taking a WR in one of the first three rounds depending on who is there when they pick. I am not so sure they are really happy with what they have at WR. Just in the last two weeks they have added Sanzenbacher and Tueni and they already had two WRs on the practice squad. If they were completely happy with what they have WR, I am not sure they would be stockpiling WRs headed into the off season.
[/quote]

I wouldn't count on him, but I'm intrigued by Tuinei. He's 6'4" 220 and probably runs a 4.5 40. He's lanky like Henry.

Don't know why he hasn't stuck with a team but I'm guessing its that he needs to add muscle, be a better blocker, and polish his route running. If he can improve those things, he can be a weapon.

no doubt in my mind I'd take Kenny Vaccaro (#4). Team Captain, big enough to cover backs and Tight Ends, fast enough to consistently cover a speed WR like Tavon Austin in the slot. Texas moves him all over the place kind of like Polamalu. He'll play in the slot, play deep, line up at MLB, blitz, everything.

I only hope he's still there at pick 21 after he goes through the pre-draft process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4-UnlJzLoc

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1357490992' post='1205399']
[url="http://www.mercurynews.com/stanford-cardinal/ci_22317912/shayne-skov-ben-gardner-announce-theyre-returning-stanford"]http://www.mercuryne...urning-stanford[/url]

Announced via his twitter so wouldn't say it's 100% official
[/quote]

This as well. From what I've read, he doesn't grade out as a top pick, more like round 2 or 3... but with him coming back from injury, I think he will be a 1st round guy in another year.

http://www.stanforddaily.com/2013/01/05/football-after-winning-rose-bowl-shayne-skov-and-ben-gardner-will-return-to-stanford-to-pursue-2013-national-championship/

Archived