• DE Sam Montgomery, LSU
    • DE Dion Jordan, Oregon
    • DE Ezekial Ansah, BYU
    • OLB Alec Ogletree, Georgia
    • MLB Kevin Minter, LSU
    • S Kenny Vaccaro, Texas
    • S Matt Elam, Florida
    • Other (name them)

I didn't include any quarterbacks, tight ends, offensive line, defensive tackles or corners because I don't think there's much chance we draft one in the 1st round. That could obviously change if Andre isn't re-signed but I'm making a huge hopeful assumption that he is.

[b]Running backs[/b] - I like Bernard much better than Lacy based on what our team needs. Gio would give us that change of pace back that Bernard Scott was supposed to be. He can also return punts/kicks which allows us to get rid of Tate.

[b]Receivers [/b]- I think Allen and Patterson will be gone by 21. Both are great players but I actually like Hopkins a little more. I don't think Austin is what we need should we chose to get a WR in the first.

[b]Ends [/b]- I don't really like any of the ends too much and hope we don't draft one in the first but I could see it since only Dunlap is under contract for next season. If I had to pick one it would be Jordan because he is a great athlete.

[b]Linebackers [/b]- I've been thinking about this a lot lately and earlier in the season I was convinced we would be drafting one in the first round. I like Ogletree but he doesn't really fit what we need. He's a weakside linebacker in the NFL. I'm convinced we either a.)re-sign Rey and leave Burfict at WLB (please God no) or b.)re-sign Howard and move Burfict to his natural position. I hope they chose B and will assume so since it's a better idea. Either option we would need a SLB, not a WLB like Ogletree. I don't think we go into the season with 2 new linebackers. Minter doesn't look like a 1st round pick to me.

[b]Safeties [/b]- I really like what Vaccaro can do. Elam is a better athlete but he has a lot more work to do with his technique. I'd take Vaccaro in the first. If we don't get Vaccaro I'd be cool with Elam at 37 if we sign a vet (re-sign Crocker?) to rotate with him.

So between Bernard, Hopkins, Jordan and Vaccaro... I think the most likely pick is Vaccaro. He fits a need and wouldn't be a reach with the 21st pick. Pray to God that Bernard is there at 37 :)

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1358044084' post='1207684']
Unless T'eo drops, give me vaccaro. Exactly what this defense needs. A young talented safety that can line up and be a nickel corner in the slot.
[/quote]
I didn't think about it but we could probably put Te'o at SLB

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1358044435' post='1207688']

I didn't think about it but we could probably put Te'o at SLB
[/quote]

I'd put him in the middle. Burfict has been a nice story and all, but I don't see moving him unless you have to. They need a rock solid guy in the middle and IMO burfict still has things to prove about his mental makeup.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1358045947' post='1207694']
I'd put him in the middle. Burfict has been a nice story and all, but I don't see moving him unless you have to. They need a rock solid guy in the middle and IMO burfict still has things to prove about his mental makeup.
[/quote]
He scares me though because he's so much like Rey. Polynesian, tats, same size. He even played exactly like Rey in the bowl game. I think he's a little better version of Rey.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1358046419' post='1207698']
He scares me though because he's so much like Rey. Polynesian, tats, same size. He even played exactly like Rey in the bowl game. I think he's a little better version of Rey.
[/quote]

I don't think there's a question he's a higher rated prospect than Rey was.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1358046804' post='1207703']

I don't think there's a question he's a higher rated prospect than Rey was.
[/quote]
I think half the board wanted us to draft Rey with the 6th pick at this point of the offseason. Don't see Te'o falling to round 2 but he's not a top 10 pick. Mid-late 1st is what I'm thinking.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1358056154' post='1207723']
I think there is almost no way they go C [s]in the first round[/s] [b]at all[/b]. I could be wrong I just highly doubt it.

LB, S, or RB is my guess. Unless they dont sign MJ or Andre, which could open up DE or RT if they dont.

Obviously FA will go a long way in determining everything.
[/quote]

Fixt.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1358180582' post='1208037']
I think at 21 it will be a tossup between Bernard and Vacarro. I have a guess that Bernard may be the guy, going by the 2004 draft when we took Chris Perry. I hope we get both these guys with our first two picks. This would be a wet dream come true!
[/quote]

Agreed. I think it's between those two, and probably leaning Bernard if Jay comes back. I think there are more guys that fit in the first 5 safeties, than there is among the first 5 RB 's.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1358252059' post='1208272']
Unless they plan on making the draft pick "The Guy" and make BJGE a specialty back, I don't see them using a first round pick on a back. I think they would use the 1st pick on a guy they see as an every down player.
[/quote]
Isn't that what they did with Chris Perry though? I can't remember if Rudi was established or not when Perry was drafted.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1358262964' post='1208304']
Isn't that what they did with Chris Perry though? I can't remember if Rudi was established or not when Perry was drafted.
[/quote]

Rudi had started for 1 year. I don't see them going that route again this year. Also worth noting that part of what allowed them to go RB first round that year was because they traded down and picked up a starting CB and a 4th round pick as well as Perry.

I just don't see a surefire first round RB this year, which I think will keep most teams from taking one.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1358252059' post='1208272']
Unless they plan on making the draft pick "The Guy" and make BJGE a specialty back, I don't see them using a first round pick on a back. I think they would use the 1st pick on a guy they see as an every down player.
[/quote]

They are going to have a RBBC approach probably. Similar to what they did with Perry and Rudi. I think Bernard fits that spot better than anyone else I have seen, and at 21 would not be a reach. If they can get him at 37, all well and good, but the way I see it, there are three S that I think would work with Zimmer, and only one RB that truly fits Gruden.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1358269389' post='1208344']
They are going to have a RBBC approach probably. Similar to what they did with Perry and Rudi. I think Bernard fits that spot better than anyone else I have seen, and at 21 would not be a reach. If they can get him at 37, all well and good, but the way I see it, there are three S that I think would work with Zimmer,[b] and only one RB that truly fits Gruden.[/b]
[/quote]

why only one? I see like 5 or 6.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1358269956' post='1208345']
why only one? I see like 5 or 6.
[/quote]

I think he's the total package. He seems to be a guy that can go between or outside the tackles, is a willing pass protector, catches the ball well, has speed and quickness, and has good size at 510, 205. some of the other guys have some of these attributes, but I like the way he plays better than some of the others in the limited amount of film I've seen. I also like the fact that he can return punts and kickoffs. Just my opinion.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1358270786' post='1208347']
I think he's the total package. He seems to be a guy that can go between or outside the tackles, is a willing pass protector, catches the ball well, has speed and quickness, and has good size at 510, 205. some of the other guys have some of these attributes, but I like the way he plays better than some of the others in the limited amount of film I've seen. I also like the fact that he can return punts and kickoffs. Just my opinion.
[/quote]

oh I'm not knocking him. However, I think Randle, Gillislee, Taylor, Michael, Ball, Franklin Graham, and Ellington show a lot of traits of complete backs too. I'd almost put Bell in with them as well. I like Diggy's Michael Bush comparison of Bell.

Let's be honest, it shouldn't be hard for the Bengals to dramatically improve their RB situation which currently consists of an undrafted RB (BJGE) and two 6th round RB's (Peerman and Herron).

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1358271075' post='1208348']
oh I'm not knocking him. However, I think Randle, Gillislee, Taylor, Michael, Ball, Franklin Graham, and Ellington show a lot of traits of complete backs too. I'd almost put Bell in with them as well. I like Diggy's Michael Bush comparison of Bell.

Let's be honest, it shouldn't be hard for the Bengals to dramatically improve their RB situation which currently consists of an undrafted RB (BJGE) and two 6th round RB's (Peerman and Herron).
[/quote]

That's true, but the way I see it, based on the players I expect to come back from FA, the only two glaring needs are Safety and RB. Considering the D was rated in the top ten, and the O was rated over 20, I just think if you can get the best player at a position at a position of need, you do it, and I think Bernard at this point is. That could change, based on FA, and combines. I also feel that Bernard just looks the part when you watch him. He kinda gives me that Buffalo(Kelly, Reed, Thomas) or Cowboy(Troy, Micheal, Emmitt) vibe. Hell, I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, I'm just telling you how I feel.

Archived