Anyone have a plasma TV?

Jason

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1360119952' post='1213270']
You know how I choose the better TV? I go to Walmart or Best Buy and pick out the screen most appealing to me. I then search for the cheapest ones in my area.

Bam!

And you're done.
[/quote]

well, that works to an extent, but when i went to best buy, i had a model picked out online, went to check it out, it looked kinda shitty, but so did a few to the left of it, but the older lower hrz model to the right was crisper, not a huge difference but one i noticed.. soo much to the concern of the staff, i pulled the hdmi out of the one on the right and switched it with the one on the left... and BOOM, they switched quality....

thats probably not something that happens TOO often, but something to think about. i like to have the hardware knowledge and a general expectation of what should look the best before i get distracted by the pretty colors.

[quote name='Jim Finklestein' timestamp='1359951201' post='1212911']
Are the new plasmas as prone to image burn from video games? I have heard they are a lot better than they used to be.
[/quote]

I have owned three plasmas... never had this problem...

Every plasma I have owned have had zero problems and have had the best pictures out of any TV's I have owned....

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1360119952' post='1213270']
You know how I choose the better TV? I go to Walmart or Best Buy and pick out the screen most appealing to me. I then search for the cheapest ones in my area.

Bam!

And you're done.
[/quote]

This is both good and bad advice at the same time. I agree with the idea of just picking which TV looks best to you for the price instead of getting hung up on the specs.

However, you can't trust how a TV looks at places like Walmart and Best Buy. As already stated, you first have to trust that they're all hooked up correctly using the same type of cable. Second, you know they likely aren't calibrated correctly. In stores they're always on a dynamic mode to conteract the lighting used in stores and also have brighter colors that pop, drawsing more attention to that set. However, this mode generally looks like crap at home. Third, you have to hope the store isn't being paid a kickback from manufacturers to adjust settings so that theirs looks good while the one next to it looks bad. You could also have the manager making the one on sale look bad in order to upsell you to a better one.

If you're going to go physically look in stores, try to look in the higher end stores or at least check out the same set in multiple stores as it won't look the same. If you know what you're doing, you can also do a little calibrating of your own in store assuming the controls are accessible.

Shop around the stores, pick 2-3 that you like, then go to Newegg and buy it there. It will almost definitely be cheaper. I got a 42" 120Hz Toshiba LED for $500 a couple years ago, it's still sharp as a tack. It has built-in wireless too. The apps on it suck though, so if that's your thing don't go with Toshiba.

The most recent issue of CR reviewed televisions, and most of their top-rated models were plasma. They also stated that many of the concerns and issues of older models such as burn-in, heat, and energy efficiency had been addressed. They also stated that reliability was the same for both plasma and LCD.

We'll be looking for a new TV at the end of the year and had been focusing solely on LED LCD, but will probably put plasma back on the list.

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1360340164' post='1213534']
The most recent issue of CR reviewed televisions, and most of their top-rated models were plasma. They also stated that many of the concerns and issues of older models such as burn-in, heat, and energy efficiency had been addressed. They also stated that reliability was the same for both plasma and LCD.

We'll be looking for a new TV at the end of the year and had been focusing solely on LED LCD, but will probably put plasma back on the list.
[/quote]

Also, if you can hold out they say the best day to buy a new tv is on black friday...

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' timestamp='1360347653' post='1213551']
Also, if you can hold out they say the best day to buy a new tv is on black friday...
[/quote]

You can get better deals throughout the year, you just have to keep an eye out for them. Slickdeals is a great place to watch if you're searching.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' timestamp='1360347653' post='1213551']
[/quote]

The TV I have in the living room isn't going to last that long.

And I get my bonus on March 12, so that's my target time to buy.

I bought a Plasma back in the day, when a 42" cost $2300. I never had any MAJOR burn in problems, despite countless hours on the xbox.

Unfortunately, the TV only lasted 4 years before the power board went bad, and repairing it wasn't worth the cost.

I now have a 52" Samsung LCD (really nice), 42" 3D LG LED (really nice), and a 37" Insignia LCD (junk).

Archived