Black Louisiana senator flees Democratic party: ‘Free at last’

Numbers

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jun/18/black-louisiana-senator-flees-democratic-party-fre/

Black Louisiana senator flees Democratic party: ‘Free at last’

Louisiana State Sen. Elbert Guillory said in a video message delivered to constituents — and particularly, his fellow black voters — that he’s finally come to his senses and realized the Democratic Party disguises an all-consuming quest for control as concern and aid for minorities.

The senator announced his defection from the Democratic Party for the Republican Party a few weeks ago. But just recently, he released a video explaining his reasons, titled “Why I Am a Republican.”

In short, he says Democrats routinely push a social justice and welfare aid agenda to control blacks — rather than help them move from poverty, The Blaze reported.

Some of his video statements: “You see, in recent history, the Democratic party has created the illusion that their agenda and their policies are what’s best for black people. Somehow, it has been forgotten that the Republican Party was founded in 1854 as an abolitionist movement, with one simple creed — that slavery is a violation of the rights of man.”

Mr. Guillory reminded, the Blaze reported, that Frederick Douglass referred to the GOP as “the party of freedom and progress,” that former Republican President Abraham Lincoln was the one to sign the Emancipation Proclamation, and this it was the Republican Party that created the Thirteenth, Fourteenth and Fifteenth amendments — outlawing slavery, granting citizenship to descendants of slaves and abolishing race-based voting prohibitions.

“The Democrats, on the other hand, were the party of Jim Crow,” he said. “It was the Democrats who defended the rights of slave owners.

He then said that welfare and food stamps were never aimed at helping the poor, but rather controlling them. The proof? Blacks and minorities are still “as poor as they’ve ever been,” he said.

“At the heart of liberalism is the idea that only a great and powerful big government can be the benefactor of social justice for all Americans,” Mr. Guillory said, in the video. “But the left is only concerned with one thing: control. And they disguise this control as charity.”

The real leader of destiny — including the destinies of poor and minorities — is not government, but God, Mr. Guillory said.

He said, in the video: “These are the ideas at the core of the Republican Party. My brothers and sisters of the American community, please join me in abandoning the government plantation and the party of disappointment — so that we may all echo of one Republican leader who famously said, ‘Free at last, free at last, Thank God almighty, we are free at last

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_YQ8560E1w[/media]

I think he has a point about people having forgotten about the Dixiecrats and that the Republicans were the civil rights party, not just from the Civil War era but through Nixon's presidency. I would counter, however, that the modern Republican party seems to have forgotten all this as well.

I think he has a point about people having forgotten about the Dixiecrats and that the Republicans were the civil rights party, not just from the Civil War era but through Nixon's presidency. I would counter, however, that the modern Republican party seems to have forgotten all this as well.

If it was still the party of lincoln, I would be a republican.

Its the party of Reagan now and he has done extreme harm to it.

If it was still the party of lincoln, I would be a republican.

Its the party of Reagan now and he has done extreme harm to it.

There are elements of both in the rep party... Rand Paul is more of a equal rights rep where most of the conservative base isn't. Like him or hate him, Paul is not like most Republican's and that is a good thing.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jun/18/black-louisiana-senator-flees-democratic-party-fre/

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_YQ8560E1w[/media]

Hard to argue with his reasoning for leaving the Democratic party...  moving clear across the aisle doesn't make a whole lot of sense though either.  When I first saw thought for sure he'd have gone independent.

There are elements of both in the rep party... Rand Paul is more of a equal rights rep where most of the conservative base isn't. Like him or hate him, Paul is not like most Republican's and that is a good thing.

No he isnt like some, he's an anarchist, and no that's not a good thing.

The ideal that social justice is a disguise for control, is completely absurd and completely ignorant to the notion of structural poverty, he was doing well with the Lincoln/Eisenhower stuff then veered off into Glen Beck moronicism, if you agree with the first part ok then you also should recognize what Reagan did to the minorities when he was in office that shifted the black vote to the democrats, if you agree with the 2nd part I would question if you understand the notion of structural poverty.

No he isnt like some, he's an anarchist, and no that's not a good thing.

lol ok... So I guess that is your code word for libertarian? I am out of the loop with these political code words.

I also believe that the gov't is too large and shouldn't have so much control over our lives. Do I fit the bill as an anarchist?

lol ok... So I guess that is your code word for libertarian? I am out of the loop with these political code words.

I also believe that the gov't is too large and shouldn't have so much control over our lives. Do I fit the bill as an anarchist?

Libertarian, anarchist, yeah pretty much.

Was government too large when the banks were deregulated? If you answer yes, then yes. If you blame the CRA then yes.

I also believe that the gov't is too large and shouldn't have so much control over our lives.

Can you give me an example of how government is negatively controlling your life?

There are elements of both in the rep party... Rand Paul is more of a equal rights rep

Dafuk? Are you really unaware of he & his pappy's extensive & documented connections to the white supremacist movement or are you just choosing to ignore all that?

More on the reason for the black shift from republicans to democrats...

Nixon first - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

then Reagan http://www.salon.com/2011/02/03/reagan_southern_strategy/

While a significant amount can be attributed to Nixon and Reagan, I believe the most can be attributed to Truman.  Truman went against the grain and tried pushing the Anti-lynching bill through.  Although Truman never succeeded in doing so and (anti-lynching) didn't actually pass the Senate until 2005.  Truman may have been one of the first to actually make civil rights (anti-lynching, abolishing poll taxes, and other civil rights issues...) part of his agenda while in the presidency.  Even though Truman himself was a democrat it was the democrats who blocked him at his every turn just as they had done at every previous attempt to pass any civil rights reforms up until this time frame.

I am not as politically minded as many are here but I have to admire people like Truman who did many things that would have been considered career suicide but he did them anyway because it was the right thing to do.  P.S. I don't admire ALL of the things Truman did but for his day and age he did what he could. 

Archived