Carson Palmer trade

bengals8580

I would love to know how this trade went down. I didn't think we would even get 1 pick in the 1st 4 rounds for him. We had no leverage. He was damaged goods, a quitter, high salary, and said he would never play for the Bengals again. I'd love to know what the 1st proposed deal was and how it got to the finished deal. 

I'd actually like to know a lot about the end of Carson's career with us. Should've been a bigger national story than it was. 

Raiders/Al Davis.. they were desperate and Al was crazy.. Kind of a perfect storm.

Probably the only organization that would have given anything for him.

actually Al was already passed if I'm not mistaken.  Their front office was in a bad place and as you say desperate and a little bit delusional.

actually Al was already passed if I'm not mistaken.  Their front office was in a bad place and as you say desperate and a little bit delusional.

I was curious after I saw this. I looked it up....the trade and Al's passing both happened in October of 2011.

IIRC:

It was the middle of the season. Raiders were actually doing very well under HC Hue Jackson and they were contending for a playoff berth with Jason Campbell playing well at QB. Right before the trade deadline, Campbell got hurt (broken collarbone?) that took him out for the season. Al Davis had just passed away so it was a combination of Hue Jackson and Mark Davis calling the shots for the Raiders. They desperately needed a competent QB with a chance to make some noise in the playoffs for the first time in forever. Due to Hue's relationship with the Bengals/Carson as well as CP's stated desire to play for a West Coast team, they were able to open talks. The Raiders desperation allowed Mike Brown and the Bengals to demand a king's ransom for CP - they had already given up on him and were prepared to move on getting nothing for him. 

It was a perfect storm in the Bengals' favor and one of the times that Mike Brown's notorious hardass negotiations worked out amazingly for the team.

IIRC:

It was the middle of the season. Raiders were actually doing very well under HC Hue Jackson and they were contending for a playoff berth with Jason Campbell playing well at QB. Right before the trade deadline, Campbell got hurt (broken collarbone?) that took him out for the season. Al Davis had just passed away so it was a combination of Hue Jackson and Mark Davis calling the shots for the Raiders. They desperately needed a competent QB with a chance to make some noise in the playoffs for the first time in forever. Due to Hue's relationship with the Bengals/Carson as well as CP's stated desire to play for a West Coast team, they were able to open talks. The Raiders desperation allowed Mike Brown and the Bengals to demand a king's ransom for CP - they had already given up on him and were prepared to move on getting nothing for him. 

It was a perfect storm in the Bengals' favor and one of the times that Mike Brown's notorious hardass negotiations worked out amazingly for the team.

yea the Raiders were 4-2 when Campbell got hurt and then the trade went down.  Carson came in halfway through the next game, which was a mess no matter the QB.  Carson ended up being 4-5 as a starter that year and they finished 8-8

Even with them needing a qb because they were 4-2, I don't see how we got a 1st and a 2nd out of a guy we were willing to get nothing for. The only thing that makes any sense is that whoever was running the Raiders FO was completely delusional or had no idea how to negotiate a trade. No matter the reason, the Raiders FO was/is a pile of hot garbage. I thought we used to have problems, wow. 

I'm also convinced it would not have happened had Hue not been Oakland's HC at the time.  He and Carson knew and thought highly of each other - there is little doubt in my mind that he AND Carson campaigned Mike Davis and talked him into it.  Doubly so due to the looming trade deadline and Oakland's lack of a competent backup, having only Kyle Boller at the time and no 3rd QB (IIRC).

Perfect Storm?  Hell - it was better than that.

I'm also convinced it would not have happened had Hue not been Oakland's HC at the time.  He and Carson knew and thought highly of each other - there is little doubt in my mind that he AND Carson campaigned Mike Davis and talked him into it.  Doubly so due to the looming trade deadline and Oakland's lack of a competent backup, having only Kyle Boller at the time and no 3rd QB (IIRC).

Perfect Storm?  Hell - it was better than that.

Yeah, it took like 20 scenarios perfectly aligning for that even to happen.  Once in a lifetime opportunity and MB cashed in this time, unlike the Ricky Williams trade offer.

Even with them needing a qb because they were 4-2, I don't see how we got a 1st and a 2nd out of a guy we were willing to get nothing for. The only thing that makes any sense is that whoever was running the Raiders FO was completely delusional or had no idea how to negotiate a trade. No matter the reason, the Raiders FO was/is a pile of hot garbage. I thought we used to have problems, wow. 

Leverage. The Bengals didn't NEED to get anything for Carson, but because he was basically the only above-replacement-level QB available, they were able to demand basically whatever they wanted for him. 

Yep and it's quite honestly why we have the talent that we do have here sort of.

I mean we got Kirkpatrick and Bernard for Palmer.

all bernard has to do is have a 1000yd season at some point in his career and i think we come out ahead, kirkpatrick is just an added bonus, but i really do want him to come into his own soon, very soon.

Archived