The Duggars being too controlling over their kids?

Go Skins

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/jessa-duggar-ben-seewald-dating-family-involved-relationship-jim-bob-duggar-article-1.1458423?comment=true

Jessa Duggar, the third daughter of Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar, is officially dating. The 20-year-old reality star’s new boyfriend is Ben Seewald, 18, whom she met at church.

“We are so excited for Ben and Jessa,” Jim Bob told People. “They are enjoying getting to know each other and are recommending sermons to one another.”

But in order to win over the young Duggar’s heart, young men pursuing her had to go through her papa first, and Seewald seems to have passed the test.

Due to the Duggar’s strong Christian beliefs, they strongly feel a couple should wait until the wedding to engage in even a kiss. After all, Jessa and her beau are currently in a courtship, which the Duggar’s define as a couple who are deciding whether marriage is right for them with the support of both sides of their families.

“Dad allowed them to do a side hug when they were officially courting,” the matriarch of the Duggar family, Michelle, revealed. “They agreed that would be the only contact they should have.”

That is the paragraph that bothered me.  Kids need to grow up, experience dating, whether it works out or not, and the parents need to step back. 

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/jessa-duggar-ben-seewald-dating-family-involved-relationship-jim-bob-duggar-article-1.1458423#ixzz2fGYcSpyt

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/jessa-duggar-ben-seewald-dating-family-involved-relationship-jim-bob-duggar-article-1.1458423?comment=true

Jessa Duggar, the third daughter of Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar, is officially dating. The 20-year-old reality star’s new boyfriend is Ben Seewald, 18, whom she met at church.

“We are so excited for Ben and Jessa,” Jim Bob told People. “They are enjoying getting to know each other and are recommending sermons to one another.”

But in order to win over the young Duggar’s heart, young men pursuing her had to go through her papa first, and Seewald seems to have passed the test.

Due to the Duggar’s strong Christian beliefs, they strongly feel a couple should wait until the wedding to engage in even a kiss. After all, Jessa and her beau are currently in a courtship, which the Duggar’s define as a couple who are deciding whether marriage is right for them with the support of both sides of their families.

“Dad allowed them to do a side hug when they were officially courting,” the matriarch of the Duggar family, Michelle, revealed. “They agreed that would be the only contact they should have.”

That is the paragraph that bothered me.  Kids need to grow up, experience dating, whether it works out or not, and the parents need to step back. 

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/jessa-duggar-ben-seewald-dating-family-involved-relationship-jim-bob-duggar-article-1.1458423#ixzz2fGYcSpyt

To each their own. 

God forbid we don't let kids have sex and learn if their partner is any good in the sack. That is MUCH more important than teaching kids good values and not getting pregnant before they are married. I cannot believe these crazy Christians are not letting them get it on....

So a kiss causes pregnancy?

These parents need to look at what relationships are based on now a days, not what it was back in their day.  Things have changed a lot.

Getting married because you're not allowed to fuck otherwise is a guaranteed recipe for long-term marital stability.  Emancipation from one's parents is one of the great hurdles of becoming an adult.  Until they are both allowed to make their own decisions this is just an arranged marriage wrapped up in bible-thumping & the soapbox moralizing of the parents. The only thing missing is the dowry.

DGAF really but it's still pretty stupid.

Who gives a shit how they choose to raise THEIR kids.  Why is this even a story?   This is the stupidest thing I've heard....American public, as stupid as it is, telling people how their kids should be raised?  Fuck that. 

Why is it that anything associated with Christianity is ridiculed these days? 

Who gives a shit how they choose to raise THEIR kids.  Why is this even a story?   This is the stupidest thing I've heard....American public, as stupid as it is, telling people how their kids should be raised?  Fuck that. 

Cuase they're shitting out more kids than they can care for.  They rely on their kids to take care of the infants.  The kids should be focused on school and other kid stuff, not being nannies.  

PS:  Jesus would probly want them to adopt some pre-existing kids and help their life get better instaed of making new ones.  

Do you think it might have something to do with the fact they are on a reality T.V. show?  It surprises you that people have an opinion on that?

Kind of hard to take the "Get out of their private lives!" stance seriously when they are getting paid to have cameras in their house broadcasting on TV...

:shrug:

Do you think it might have something to do with the fact they are on a reality T.V. show?  It surprises you that people have an opinion on that?

Kind of hard to take the "Get out of their private lives!" stance seriously when they are getting paid to have cameras in their house broadcasting on TV...

:shrug:

They're still on tv?  Wow....I thought that was 5 yrs ago.  OK, I get the attention then.  My bad. 

Who gives a shit how they choose to raise THEIR kids. 

I'll take a stab at that.  People care how others raise their kids because those kids don't exist in a bubble.  I'd say we all have a stake in whether someone grows up thinking the Earth is 6,000 years old or that people from Uruguay spit in your food.  Maybe it'd be great if we could all have our own private islands where we could live our lives without having to interact with anybody else, but that's not how it is. If someone raises a mean, shitty dog the negative impact is more obvious, but it's the same kind of situation. 

I'm not saying the government needs to step in there but it definitely sucks for society at large to have some kids growing up in a culture that thinks a couple of teenagers stealing a kiss is a mortal sin in the eyes of God so they need to get married first.  Unfortunately, ignorance is not a victimless crime.

So a kiss causes pregnancy?

These parents need to look at what relationships are based on now a days, not what it was back in their day.  Things have changed a lot.

Its laying a proper foundation. Would you tell your kids its cool to smoke weed but don't ever do coke? 

Look I agree it is a little bit harsh and not realistic in this day in age, but you hope that your kids only kiss and not screw before their married. you hope your kids only smoke weed and don't get into coke and heroin in high school. Its kind of like negotiating, you have to start on a playing field that will give you the best odds of getting what you want. 

I agree things have changed a lot in society, but not for the better...

I'll take a stab at that.  People care how others raise their kids because those kids don't exist in a bubble.  I'd say we all have a stake in whether someone grows up thinking the Earth is 6,000 years old or that people from Uruguay spit in your food.  Maybe it'd be great if we could all have our own private islands where we could live our lives without having to interact with anybody else, but that's not how it is. If someone raises a mean, shitty dog the negative impact is more obvious, but it's the same kind of situation. 

I'm not saying the government needs to step in there but it definitely sucks for society at large to have some kids growing up in a culture that thinks a couple of teenagers stealing a kiss is a mortal sin in the eyes of God so they need to get married first.  Unfortunately, ignorance is not a victimless crime.

Who decides what set of morals the kids should be raised on. Why are your morals better than theirs?

You raise the mean dog example, but in what way does this have a negative impact on others? I don't see how a bunch of people staying virgins is going to impact my life.

Its laying a proper foundation. Would you tell your kids its cool to smoke weed but don't ever do coke? 

Look I agree it is a little bit harsh and not realistic in this day in age, but you hope that your kids only kiss and not screw before their married. you hope your kids only smoke weed and don't get into coke and heroin in high school. Its kind of like negotiating, you have to start on a playing field that will give you the best odds of getting what you want. 

I agree things have changed a lot in society, but not for the better...

A proper foundation?  People should be connecting romantically on several levels, whether it is physical (for example) or things they have in common or communicate well (just throwing out a few examples). 

A kiss is not going to harm anything.  You can teach your children to abstain from sex before marriage but it doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to do other things while "courting" in the words of the Duggars. 

A proper foundation?  People should be connecting romantically on several levels, whether it is physical (for example) or things they have in common or communicate well (just throwing out a few examples). 

A kiss is not going to harm anything.  You can teach your children to abstain from sex before marriage but it doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to do other things while "courting" in the words of the Duggars. 

They arent your kids, they have the right to raise them however they see fit and so long as how they raise them isnt effecting society on the whole it's none of your business.

I'm more concern with what are their views towards how to treat others in society than I am what their beliefs on courtship are.

Only time will tell, but I haven't seen anything about the ones that are grown up.

They are in the public eye thanks to TV, so they will be judged regardless.

Only time will tell, but I haven't seen anything about the ones that are grown up.

They are in the public eye thanks to TV, so they will be judged regardless.

Their contribution to society is relatitive to that of Snookis....

Hell Snooki gets more ratings (which is a sad statement on society that either of these fools get any ratings, but I digress)

Who decides what set of morals the kids should be raised on. Why are your morals better than theirs?

You raise the mean dog example, but in what way does this have a negative impact on others? I don't see how a bunch of people staying virgins is going to impact my life.

It's not a question of my morals being better or worse.  I'm not buying the moral relativism crap so let's not go down that road.  The negative impact? Have you never heard of someone being mauled by a neighbor's dog? At least in those cases it's (usually, hopefully) an accident.  The neighbor didn't mean for their dog to leave the yard/house to begin with.  With children this obviously isn't the case (usually, hopefully).  Of course they are going to leave the house, and in fact will spend the majority of their lives (usually, hopefully) making their own decisions.  Which, like their parents, are theirs to make.  This does not, however, absolve them from responsibility for the outcome of those decisions, no more than it's ok for their parents to potentially raise fundamentalist religious wackos. IDK if that's necessarily the case here but the evidence is not encouraging. It's amazing to me how tolerant we are of such beliefs in Christians yet are so quick to condemn other cultures for equally backwards ideas re: women, sex, and relationships.

Their contribution to society is relatitive to that of Snookis....

Hell Snooki gets more ratings (which is a sad statement on society that either of these fools get any ratings, but I digress)

Haha.....as much as I like reality TV, it amazes me that some people watch garbage like Snooki. 

"The Real World" is what started this reality TV craze, which in the early seasons were well done, now it is just kids drinking as much as possible and starting fights. 

yea fuck touching, the non stop orgy level sex to pop out 37 kids shouldnt happen until after you sign a paper at the court house and pay a marriage license fee!!!!!111

i could care less what these nutbag fucks do....

you can see the lost level of crazy in their eyes...

the blind following of whatever they think they believe...

its fucking creepy.

How is your life being impacted by their kids not going out and fucking everything they want?   Who's to say that their methods aren't right and 'yours' are?   What if each of their kids went out and fucked whoever their dicks/vaginas pleased?  Is that the society you would rather have than one with no sex until marriage?  Sex is a major thing, it changes chemicals, hormones with in someone.  It can lead to STD's, unwanted pregnancy, it can destroy lives when two irresponsible people have a child and are unable to nurture it, to nourish it.   What kind of society do we really want to live in?   We're judging others for their insistence on doing something that was done throughout history for the most part?  Just because our new age fucked up society of today does things a certain way, doesn't mean it's the right way to do them. 

No thanks.....this sort of thinking, deciding what's best for all, is a very evil slippery slope I'd rather not navigate. 

Sure, I think T-Dub's views are fairly sensible....but what about the next guy who decides others should live as he thinks they should.  It's just not a good precedent to set.   It doesnt have to be about everyone having their own private island, it's about each and every family having sovereignity so that they can live how THEY want, not how YOU or someone else wants them to live. 

How do we go from "side hugs are stupid" to "letting your children go out and fuck anything they want"?

Look, my mom's side of the family is really fucking Christian.. I mean, I think they would count as fundamentalist.  They don't eat foods forbidden in the Old Testament, they fast and observe the feast of tabernacles (for example).  My grandmother almost let my uncle die of blood poisoning when he was a kid because the minister told her medicine was evil and if he died it was god's will (thank god she broke down and took him to the hospital when he was on deaths door).  It's because of this craziness my mom became a Buddhist and raised me that way (though I spent summers with my family in Texas, so I am very familiar with their beliefs).

And even I had never heard of anything like a "Christian Side Hug".  Even my completely bat-shit crazy family doesn't see anything obscene in two fully clothed people giving each other a simple hug.  I think the mindset of someone who finds that obscene should be questioned.. It says a lot about the person who is offended by such a simple natural human gesture of affection, IMO.

I think part of the reason people get offended by this is that it really comes off as some sort of display of piety to others who are observing.. Standing up and showing everyone how virtuous you are is in some ways a strange boast.  What is the intent?

Matthew 6:

16 “Moreover, when you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, with a sad countenance. For they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 17 But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, 18 so that you do not appear to men to be fasting, but to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.

Earlier in the scripture public prayer is also addressed, as well as charitable works.  All address that piety is something that is kept between you and God.  I think it is made apparant that public displays of piety in order to impress your fellow man is at the least frowned apon

Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.

This is the problem I have with some of this stuff.. Zealotry and it's affects aside.

Archived