Who Are The Bengals Looking At 2013/2014

means absolutely nothing for this draft, but maybe he's doing some advanced scouting or catching up with some draft eligible bearcats for this year's draft since a lot of alum come to the spring games.

Or just had nowhere else to be.

#Bengals OC Hue Jackson in attendance at #UCSpringGame. Said he was impressed by #Bearcats wide receivers in first half #BearcatsVoice

#Bengals Running Backs Coach Kyle Caskey Chatted With Prospect Terrance West http://sbn.to/1oHXL3k 

West would be a really good fit as the thunder to Gio's lightning.

Hard to figure exactly where guys are going to go, but from what I've seen, he is right in that round 4 to 5 area that is (in my opinion) the sweet spot for the Bengals to find a power back.

Looking through the 1st page at coaches and pro days, here are a few that jump out to me a little bit:

RB coaches at Oklahoma to see Damian Williams and Trey Millard- Both of these guys fit the mold of the types of players the Bengals have targeted in the past in terms of big school, multiple years of production, etc.

DL coach to see Aaron Lynch at USF- Lynch just seems like the type of project DL we have had a ton of success with in the past. Bet he's on our radar.

Lots of Offensive coaches at OSU- Jack Mewhort is a guy who makes a ton of sense to me in round 2. Carlos Hyde also would make a lot of sense, though I think they would prefer RB in round 3 or later and I don't know if Hyde lasts that long.

DL coach to see Caraun Reid- Reid is another guy who really fits what the Bengals do as a penetrating interior pass rusher. Has some poor man's Geno Smith to his game and is expected to go fairly late. Could see him as a Bengal.

TE coach to see Utah TE Jake Murphy- For what we need, Murphy really fits the bill. He is a big guy who isn't a great blocker yet, but could be. Kind of like a poor man's Gresham when he was coming out. He's expected to go pretty late and a 3rd TE (who could eventually move up to #2 if Gresham leaves) is probably on the wish list for the 3rd day.

OL Coach at Texas and Miami- Donald Hawkins is a guy who I like as a late round OT project. We lost Fragel off the PS and I think we may be looking very late in the draft for a possible replacement for him as an end of the roster or PS project. Seantrel Henderson is another guy who seems like he could be an offensive version of Vontaze Burfict. He's kind of a mess and I don't think we'd consider a decent pick on him, but with a 7th round comp. pick or as a priority FA if he falls that far, he would be a great addition to roll the dice on. Again, a Fragel replacement.

Special teams coach at Oregon- DeAnthony Thomas is a guy who would be a great fit as a replacement for Andrew Hawkins and competition for Brandon Tate. Fits the mold of guys we've looked at in the past with multiple years of big time production at a major program. We reportedly had a lot of interest in Lamichael James if he fell to the 3rd round a few years back. A dynamic guy whose value is hard to pinpoint. In round 4 or later? Might be worth a shot. Hue and Simmons are both looking to add more speed to the offense and special teams.

West would be a really good fit as the thunder to Gio's lightning.

Hard to figure exactly where guys are going to go, but from what I've seen, he is right in that round 4 to 5 area that is (in my opinion) the sweet spot for the Bengals to find a power back.

West is a tough one for me given the low level of competition.

It'd be cool to see the list by position rather than school.  It might be hard since basically any player who was present where a coach was gets listed, but 1181's red/greed color scheme gave me the idea.

Might be interesting to see positions we've scouted heavily/lightly... or which players at which positions intrigue us.

Looks Darqueze Dennard will be visiting Cincy, if he makes it to 24 I think #Bengals reps would sprint to the podium http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000339983/article/michigan-states-darqueze-dennard-has-met-with-steelers?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cb 

It'd be cool to see the list by position rather than school.  It might be hard since basically any player who was present where a coach was gets listed, but 1181's red/greed color scheme gave me the idea.

Might be interesting to see positions we've scouted heavily/lightly... or which players at which positions intrigue us.

get on it!

I think I may just have to take a stab at it later night if I get a free moment...

yea it definitely would be interesting to see, but keeping the current list up to date itself is already a pain in the butt.

If you do it, don't go just off of my front page.  I listed every prospect from each school, but a lot of those guys will be undrafted or never make a team.  I'd maybe go to cbs sports and just do it for prospects that show up on say their top 250-300.

I look at Dennard and I see a good NFL corner but a possible pro bowl free safety

He's an excellent tackler, but I think his physical style of play is well suited to CB, as long as he can learn how his tendencies in college to get a bit hands-y are going to be called in the pros, and adjust accordingly.

I don't see him so much as a center fielder type, as I don't think he's got great range, a la Clinton-Dix. His long speed was a concern but he ran around high 4.4/low 4.5.... Not great, but solid. It's his ability to play man and his physical style of play, along with his intensity and toughness that I really like. Not saying he wouldn't be a good safety, and maybe that's an eventuality for him, but for now, I see him as a really good CB prospect.

He's an excellent tackler, but I think his physical style of play is well suited to CB, as long as he can learn how his tendencies in college to get a bit hands-y are going to be called in the pros, and adjust accordingly.

I don't see him so much as a center fielder type, as I don't think he's got great range, a la Clinton-Dix. His long speed was a concern but he ran around high 4.4/low 4.5.... Not great, but solid. It's his ability to play man and his physical style of play, along with his intensity and toughness that I really like. Not saying he wouldn't be a good safety, and maybe that's an eventuality for him, but for now, I see him as a really good CB prospect.

Agreed. He is basically really good at one thing, playing press coverage. Other than that, he's just okay. Wouldn't make sense to move him to Safety, where he'd be just a guy back playing CF. Wouldn't even make sense to draft him if your team plays a lot of zone. 

I think if you are going to press a lot, you just take him and live with the penalties that he's likely to rack up. 

I think he'd be a good pick for us at 24. However, I think the transition from the B1G with a lot of crappy QBs and mediocre WR talent to the NFL is going to be tougher than many are assuming. The MSU scheme usually called for him to be right up on his man so he wouldn't give up the short pass. He was good at that aspect of things. When teams tried to beat him over the top, they were able to make some plays and get some penalties (though college doesn't do spot of the foul, so they didn't hurt too bad). He didn't get beat deep so much that it is a huge concern, but it did happen despite the fact that he didn't really face much in the way of legit NFL talent at QB or WR. And I say that as a B1G fan and defender of the conference usually, but level of competition is a bit of a concern...

Checking out Hill maybe? LSU has a lot of offensive talent, so maybe seeing all of those guys (Hill, Mettenberger, Landry, Beckham).

Random side note, the guy who owns/runs Roster Watch is in one of my dynasty fantasy football leagues and his team is pretty terrible. 

Agreed. He is basically really good at one thing, playing press coverage. Other than that, he's just okay. Wouldn't make sense to move him to Safety, where he'd be just a guy back playing CF. Wouldn't even make sense to draft him if your team plays a lot of zone. 

I think if you are going to press a lot, you just take him and live with the penalties that he's likely to rack up. 

I think he'd be a good pick for us at 24. However, I think the transition from the B1G with a lot of crappy QBs and mediocre WR talent to the NFL is going to be tougher than many are assuming. The MSU scheme usually called for him to be right up on his man so he wouldn't give up the short pass. He was good at that aspect of things. When teams tried to beat him over the top, they were able to make some plays and get some penalties (though college doesn't do spot of the foul, so they didn't hurt too bad). He didn't get beat deep so much that it is a huge concern, but it did happen despite the fact that he didn't really face much in the way of legit NFL talent at QB or WR. And I say that as a B1G fan and defender of the conference usually, but level of competition is a bit of a concern...

Level of competition isn't really a significant concern for me... there are plenty of good players in the Big Ten. No, it's not the SEC, but there are guys he played against with size and speed that provide a good enough gauge to suggest that he'll match up fine. I remember people being very concerned when Leon Hall had a sub-par game against Ohio State in his last year - I think it was Brian Robiskie, who was drafted by Cleveland, I believe - and he hasn't done a damned thing in the NFL, whereas Leon's been an excellent player. 

Re: Dennard, I actually think he can turn and run well... he plays with good technique overall. And he's a very smart, instinctive player. He's not a speed demon, so catch-up speed isn't in his arsenal like, say, Justin Gilbert has. But I'd also argue that Gilbert doesn't play with the same smarts and technique that Dennard does, so he needs to use his speed when he does get burned (which happened quite a bit two seasons ago, but he rebounded to have an excellent last year). 

Archived