Martez Wilson Cut

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/23/saints-waive-martez-wilson/

Normally I wouldn't start a thread about a cut, but I hope we put a waiver claim in on him.  Wilson, who went to Illinois, never found the right fit in New Orleans (especially with Ryan's 3-4), but he's an ideal SLB guy who has the size and speed we like (4.42 at 6-4, 250? Yes, please...).  He was a third round pick (72 overall):

Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 6036
Weight: 250
40 Yrd Dash: 4.42
20 Yrd Dash: 2.53
10 Yrd Dash: 1.56 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 23
Vertical Jump: 36
Broad Jump: 10'04"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.28
3-Cone Drill: 7.04
4.54/4.59/4.67 40 range before Combine

It could save us a draft pick next year...

Normally I wouldn't start a thread about a cut, but I hope we put a waiver claim in on him.  Wilson, who went to Illinois, never found the right fit in New Orleans (especially with Ryan's 3-4), but he's an ideal SLB guy who has the size and speed we like (4.42 at 6-4, 250? Yes, please...).  He was a third round pick (72 overall):

Combine Invite: YesHeight: 6036Weight: 25040 Yrd Dash: 4.4220 Yrd Dash: 2.5310 Yrd Dash: 1.56 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 23Vertical Jump: 36Broad Jump: 10'04"20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.283-Cone Drill: 7.04

Yeah, saw that. He fits as far as the measurables go, for sure.

Next year, they get back Lamur and Porter, but it definitely wouldn't hurt to put a claim in and see what he's got. Could fit on the PS, too.

Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 6036
Weight: 250
40 Yrd Dash: 4.42
20 Yrd Dash: 2.53
10 Yrd Dash: 1.56 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 23
Vertical Jump: 36
Broad Jump: 10'04"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.28
3-Cone Drill: 7.04

We have a lot of SLB, not so much WLB

True, but ultimately, are they saying he's a strong because his skills and resume show this, or are we calling him a strong just because he's ideally the right size of one?

There are plenty of LBs that play in space pretty decently and they are in the 245 range...that's something a weak-side would be ideal at...hell we might already have a couple in Lamur and surprisingly Mays.

He was mainly a pass rusher in college. NO couldn't find a place for him and they were more desperate than us. 

He had 4 sacks last year in limited playing time.  He's had one this year and only been ACTIVE for 4 games.  So he has that ability. 

He actually played MLB at Illinois, but he has excellent speed and agility.  The problem is, he's not a power rusher type, so he's limited in a 3-4.  But he'd be a very versatile LB to have in a 4-3 IMO.

We don't have many SLB's who can run with a TE.  Harrison is not that guy.  Rey M is DEFINITELY not that guy.  DiManche MAY be that guy, but historically he's really been an edge rusher.

Still, I don't think the team makes quite the distinctions we do, and it's no secret that they prize LB's who can play all of the position.  Even Dimanche has said that he has trained for all three.

My biggest concern with Lamur is that that particular injury is a bad one for a LB.  That shoulder popped so easily that I could definitely see it being an ongoing issue.

We've made hay in recent years by taking guys around this point in the season, and giving them time to ease in.  By the time next year rolls around, they are often up to speed and have really contributed...

This guys looks like a pass rusher, not a LB that can cover.

Smartest thing i've seen in years was what the bears did with urlacher. He was a college safety they converted to LB and he dominated. 

I'm sick of converting DE's to LB, find a big safety that can move and convert him to LB, like what they're doing with Mays.

This guys is a dontay moch without the migraines i guess.

This guys looks like a pass rusher, not a LB and can cover.

Smartest thing i've seen in years was what the bears did with urlacher. He was a college safety they converted to LB and he dominated. 

I'm sick of converting DE's to LB, find a big safety that can move and convert him to LB, like what they're doing with Mays.

This may be the new way,. what with Ray Lewis and Rey M dropping weight to keep up with receivers.  You started with DEs before because your LB would be tangling with OL and 250 pound RB/FBs a lot. 

Read & React: Not the most instinctual player. A step or two late to recognize run or pass, and will be fooled by misdirection. Excellent reaction speed once he sees it develop. Finds a crease to attack the backfield or slice through a stretch play.

Run defense: Gap-attacking defender who uses his length to bring down most backs in the hole. Lanky-framed linebacker with fair upper-body development. Extends his long arms to keep offensive linemen at an arm's length as they try to reach him. Works his way through traffic near the line. Better when he sling-shots around blockers than trying to stack-and-shed. Good speed to get the angle down the sideline to minimize big plays. Willing to hit backs head-on in the hole and stand them up. Needs to get stronger in pro strength and conditioning and be more violent with his hands to shed blocks. Overpursues and is too aggressive reading angles.

Pass defense: Gets a hand on receivers crossing over the middle to knock them off their routes. Good speed to get deep in his drop. Runs the seam with receivers, sometimes 40-50 yards downfield. Great length and speed to affect passing lanes when focusing on the quarterback. Good hustle to the ball in zone coverage. Should handle man coverage against tight ends. Only adequate anticipating routes into the flat, too often gets caught in no-man's land between pass rush and defense. Must improve his ability to read routes. Susceptible to cut blocks in run and pass defense.

Tackling: One of the leading tacklers in the country, relying on his length and speed. Not usually explosive upon contact but slows down backs and makes a lot of ankle tackles when other linebackers would not even get a hand on the ballcarrier. Shows good hustle, comes off blitz to pursue 15-20 yards downfield. His height hinders his ability to drop his hips and get low, rolling off ballcarriers instead of sticking them. Only average flexibility, which could limit his 3-4 role to the inside rather than a pass-rushing outside 'backer. Nice range allows him to help teammates bring down receivers and can beat the ball to the sideline.

Pass Rush/Blitz: Uses his slim frame to get skinny through holes inside to regularly bring down running backs in the backfield. Also uses length and speed to beat tackles outside with swim or rip moves. Very good closing speed to the quarterback. Lines up with his hand on the ground occasionally, flashing get-off but lacking great flexibility to turn the corner.

Intangibles: Relied purely on athleticism early in his career. Began watching film before 2010 season. Had surgery on a herniated disk in his neck after the first game of the 2009 season, redshirted. Still wears neck protector. Suffered knife wound coming to the aid of teammate De'Angelo McCray, who was being beaten outside a Champaign bar in December 2008. Focused more on academics and football after the incident.

Compares to: Karlos Dansby, Dolphins - Like the Dolphins' steady inside 'backer, Wilson is tall and has long arms. He said in his ideal role, he'd also play outside at times and be allowed to rush off the edge.

I've always had the impression, at least watching him in college, that he was a little soft. He was a big recruit who wanted to be a big fish in a small pond. Never seemed to lure up to his measurables.

Maybe worth a flier, but I think he is most likely a Derrick Harvey/Aaron Maybin type than anything.

I've always had the impression, at least watching him in college, that he was a little soft. He was a big recruit who wanted to be a big fish in a small pond. Never seemed to lure up to his measurables.

Maybe worth a flier, but I think he is most likely a Derrick Harvey/Aaron Maybin type than anything.

Harvey/Maybin were high 1st round picks. Wilson was a 3rd rounder. Wilson is also a natural LB. For depth and STs you could do a lot worse.

Archived