NFL: BenJarvus Green-Ellis wrongly awarded score

This is where Kenneth's logic is invalid. That is not how the mechanics of the replay system works. It does not matter at all what the orginal ref saw or didn't see or told or didn't tell Triplette. This was not a coaches challenge, no one told Triplette what to look at. His charge was to observe the entire play and determine if BJGE was clearly down by contact (as called on the field) or clearly not. Neither was clear, therefore the call should have stood. I agree that is what Triplette's thought process was, but just because that is what he thought, doesn't mean he correctly applied the mechanics, which he did not.

To me, it is pretty clear what happened. Triplette didn't see the trip and no one else did either (or the one who did, didn't tell him about it) and so he didn't even bother to look at that part of the play under the hood. Which follows along with Kenneth's logic, but it was still not the correct call.

I'm not sure anyone has stated that he made the right call.. Am I missing something?  For example I say this in my first post...

It was obviously a missed call, because it's easy to surmise that he was tripped, which is confirmed to the press by both BJGE and the DT after the game.  However, the conclusion reached by replay makes sense in this context..

Mine and Kenneth's contention was that if none of the officials saw the trip in the backfield, it would explain in what way the call was missed.  It explains what Triplett means when he says they only looked at the possible goal line contact (which never made sense to me).  It's a blown call in this instance, but not quite as outrageous as it first appeared.. Which at the time seemed pretty unfathomable.

If no one saw the contact in the backfield, wouldn't you need irrefutable proof to decare him down by that contact in the video review?  I am not sure on how that works.. I have a feeling it's not terribly black and white.

So, let me see If I understand this correctly.  No official on the field made a call, they just let him fall to the field and the guy in the booth made the call.  Or was it that an Official on the field made a call, and that the person in the booth thought it was worth taking a look at it, because the call made by the OFFICIAL ON THE FIELD might have been wrong?  It wasn't a scoring play or a turnover, so it wasn't done automatically, the person in the booth made a decision that the call on the field might not quite be right.  So you think Tripplette didn't talk to anyone on HIS CREW?  About a call one of them had just made?  I kinda think you're just arguing to argue right now.

By the way, I am in no way saying I'm right, I'm simply giving you an option that would have allowed Tripplette to make the decision he did, whether that decision was right or wrong.  Either way, I'm just happy a call went our way.

You added this after I responded. We are now in complete agreement.

You added this after I responded. We are now in complete agreement.

I really think we were the whole time.. I think we were just in different areas of the process.  Kenneth and I had moved on from right or wrong and were trying to figure out why.

» Lewis, a member of the competition committee, doesn't see the group passing a resolution to funnel instant replay to a central official in New York instead of going under the hood in each stadium. Lewis says it has the danger of the "Wizard of Oz."

"The guy on the field should be in charge of the game. You want to put somebody else in charge of the game?" Lewis said. "What if we have three at once? What are we going to do? Who makes that decision? You're defeating your purpose. It's like Wizard of Oz. You've got Oz. Some guy behind the curtian."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Friday-update-Newman-out-Sunday-Harrison-ill-again-but-probable-Dye-back/27449dda-a064-4108-9277-0cb02ccac48d

» Lewis, a member of the competition committee, doesn't see the group passing a resolution to funnel instant replay to a central official in New York instead of going under the hood in each stadium. Lewis says it has the danger of the "Wizard of Oz."
"The guy on the field should be in charge of the game. You want to put somebody else in charge of the game?" Lewis said. "What if we have three at once? What are we going to do? Who makes that decision? You're defeating your purpose. It's like Wizard of Oz. You've got Oz. Some guy behind the curtian."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Friday-update-Newman-out-Sunday-Harrison-ill-again-but-probable-Dye-back/27449dda-a064-4108-9277-0cb02ccac48d

I don't know...this process has worked pretty decent for the NHL. Granted...smaller playing area, less players, less things to review. It gets just as frustrating for fans in arena though...everyone on ice milling about while some ref is on the phone to Toronto. And I have seen circumstance where there is more than one game with a review going on at the same time. It does drag.

Archived