McShay's 2014 Mock 1.0

UCJT

Oregon State actually.

Scott Crichton*

COLLEGE: Oregon State
HT: 6-3
WT: 260
POS: DE

Analysis: This pick is dependent upon whether the Bengals decide they want to pay Michael Johnson this offseason. If they let him go, then Crichton fits the bill as a replacement. We'll have to see whether he comes out early or not, but he has been unbelievably productive at Oregon State and one of the best D-linemen in college football the past couple of years. He isn't an elite athlete but he has a quick first step, is a relentless pass-rusher and recorded 16 tackles for loss and 6.5 sacks this season even while facing a ton of double-team attention. If the Bengals choose to go in another direction, LB and CB are two other need areas.

Oregon State actually.

Scott Crichton*

COLLEGE: Oregon State
HT: 6-3
WT: 260
POS: DE

Analysis: This pick is dependent upon whether the Bengals decide they want to pay Michael Johnson this offseason. If they let him go, then Crichton fits the bill as a replacement. We'll have to see whether he comes out early or not, but he has been unbelievably productive at Oregon State and one of the best D-linemen in college football the past couple of years. He isn't an elite athlete but he has a quick first step, is a relentless pass-rusher and recorded 16 tackles for loss and 6.5 sacks this season even while facing a ton of double-team attention. If the Bengals choose to go in another direction, LB and CB are two other need areas.

Can't see it with so many other D linemen on the roster and Mangus Hunt being groomed for a fast entry into the mix.  Drafted too high just to sit and have a draftee come in over him.

Linebacker, Cornerback sound good.

If a killer Wide Receiver drops... Mike is queer for them.

Love Shazier

:eek2:

You know he plays for Ohio State, right?

:lol:

I would love to draft Shazier or Van Noy (or Mosley if he's there - he won't be) and put one of them at WLB, move Burfict inside and Maualuga to SLB.

I just don't see it.  It seems to me they like Burfict at WLB too much.

:eek2:

You know he plays for Ohio State, right?

:lol:

I would love to draft Shazier or Van Noy (or Mosley if he's there - he won't be) and put one of them at WLB, move Burfict inside and Maualuga to SLB.

I just don't see it.  It seems to me they like Burfict at WLB too much.

I like reality! Van Noy seemed to drop off this year a bit. What he was thinking not leaving after that game last year is beyond me. He was crazy good. I entirely agree with the way you outlined the LB position but I also agree that they won't do it. I think Vincent Rey should play a bigger role as well and Lamur is coming back.

Can't see it with so many other D linemen on the roster and Mangus Hunt being groomed for a fast entry into the mix.  Drafted too high just to sit and have a draftee come in over him.

Hunt is actually better suited to play Dunlap's spot, as well as take some snaps at DT.  We want a guy with a real speed rush to replace MJ (quick first step, good body lean).  That guy is not currently on the team, and that includes MJ.

Hunt is actually better suited to play Dunlap's spot, as well as take some snaps at DT.  We want a guy with a real speed rush to replace MJ (quick first step, good body lean).  That guy is not currently on the team, and that includes MJ.

personally, I've always thought the opposite to work better, in part.

IMO RT's tend to be bigger guys as most teams load up the right side to run right.  So you want your best Speed/Power guy over there to get around the RT quickly, but also hold his own in run D. 

LT's tend to be more finesse and agile.  They are trained to handle speed guys.  So you put a big strong brute against them and bull rush.  

I think Hunt could work well there.  Big frame, power guy.  Long arms to negate the long arms of the LT.  He can be MJ with an extra 15lbs.  

Archived