Who are you watching? 2014

Just watched a highlight film for James Wilder Jr. and I really like him.  Runs angry and runs through contact really nice.  Looks like he can catch the ball a little too.  Looks like he was the third-string guy?  Hmm.  He looked pretty good to me..

Would be a nice alternative to Hyde.

Just watched a highlight film for James Wilder Jr. and I really like him.  Runs angry and runs through contact really nice.  Looks like he can catch the ball a little too.  Looks like he was the third-string guy?  Hmm.  He looked pretty good to me..

Would be a nice alternative to Hyde.

I'm not sure what they are, but apparently he has some character red flags.

Bryan Stork - Underrated I feel. Holds the poa really well. Played well against some tough competition.

Weston Richberg - Very athletic and dances around a lot. Not sure if he would hold up against really big defensive tackles.

Marcus Martin - I like him a lot. Saw the video of him containing a very good Notre Dame defense and holding up well. The thing that worries me about him is that he seems sluggish in space and sometimes doesn't get to the second level as effectively as one would like.

Honestly, the only center I would want in this draft is Martin.  I think he has the most upside.  I'm not convinced anyone else in this draft would be much better than Cook.

With that in mind, better stay clear of Travis Swanson then.  I've seen one or two web sites comparing him to Kyle Cook.

Big fan if Borland but would probably have to use a 2 on him unless his lack of speed drops him.

Chris Borland, Jared Abbrederis continue to impress at pro day
Posted by Gil Brandt
Linebacker Chris Borland and wide receiver Jared Abbrederis arent among the prospects projected to be selected in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft, but their intrigue as NFL prospects in the buildup to the draft continued at Wisconsins pro day Wednesday.

A total of 20 NFL teams gathered in Madison, Wis. to see 10 Badgers prospects work out indoors on FieldTurf. A defensive backs coach from the Philadelphia Eagles and a linebackers coach from the Baltimore Ravens were on hand for the workout.

Borland, LB (247 pounds) Borland ran the 40-yard dash in 4.84 and 4.87 seconds. He had a 35-inch vertical jump and a 9-foot-8 broad jump. He moved really well in the positional drills, a lot better than his times would indicate. He displayed really good anticipation, which was a hallmark of his college career. Borland will be a very interesting player in terms of where hell get selected in the draft.

Abbrederis, WR (he didnt get measured or weighed) Abbrederis stood on his numbers from the NFL Scouting Combine and just went through the positional drills. He worked out great, having a pro day that was classified as great. One of the Oakland Raiders scouts on hand for the pro day threw passes to Abbrederis, who ran good routes, displayed good speed and caught the ball well.

James White, RB (206) White stood on his combine numbers and just worked out in the running back drills. He caught the ball well, but otherwise had the sort of workout that would indicate hes more of a backup than a starter at the NFL level.

Ryan Groy, G (320) Groy also stood on his combine numbers and had a good workout in the line drills.

Jacob Pedersen, TE (238) Pedersen ran the 40 in 4.87 and 4.89 seconds. He also caught the ball well from the Raiders scout on hand to play quarterback in the passing drills.

Dezmen Southward, FS (6-foot-0 7/8, 212) Southward was in Indianapolis for the combine, but did not work out due to a medical exclusion. At Wisconsins pro day, he ran the 40 in 4.41 and 4.38 seconds (times that would have placed Southward at the top of his position group at the combine). He had a 42-inch vertical jump and a 10-4 broad jump (the vertical number would also have been the best among safeties at the combine). He had a 4.41-second short shuttle, a 11.50 60-yard long shuttle time, and did the three-cone drill in 6.73 and 6.50 seconds.

Wisconsins pro day was very well organized and everybody was very pleased with how smoothly it went.

Like both Abber and Borland.  Think Abber would be a great slot guy for us.  Unfortunately we won't be taking a WR high.  Bryant out of Clemson would be kind of cool, too.

Dezmen Southward, FS (6-foot-0 7/8, 212) Southward was in Indianapolis for the combine, but did not work out due to a medical exclusion. At Wisconsins pro day, he ran the 40 in 4.41 and 4.38 seconds (times that would have placed Southward at the top of his position group at the combine). He had a 42-inch vertical jump and a 10-4 broad jump (the vertical number would also have been the best among safeties at the combine). He had a 4.41-second short shuttle, a 11.50 60-yard long shuttle time, and did the three-cone drill in 6.73 and 6.50 seconds.

Anyone know about this guy? Those are some pretty good numbers and I've never heard anything about him. Curious if anyone else had insight?

Anyone know about this guy? Those are some pretty good numbers and I've never heard anything about him. Curious if anyone else had insight?

I've had my eye on him since the senior bowl.

He was listed at CB for a while but played safety for most of the year. I liked his size and he showed pretty well at the SB. I'm blown away by his 40 times but the rest of his measurements seem to back up his explosiveness. He's a tweener and a great fit to replace Crocker. I think he made a lot of money at his pro-day.

Been reading up on Southward, sounds like an intriguing late round pick.  Apparently, he only started playing football in his senior year of high school.  But he sounds like a fast learner with a high ceiling.

He's getting pub as a top 100 guy now.

DT/DE Dominique Easley - not sure what to make of him.  Too small to be a DT (at his current weight), but not fast enough to be a DE.  He has a heck of a knack for knifing through Olines and causing problems though.  Plays with great leverage and power.  He kind of plays like Geno.

6'2" 288lbs.  Also plays with a lot of energy and a high motor.  

Like Geno, coming off of an ACL tear (his second in college - one to each knee)

Chris Smith, DE Arkansas is the guy I'm starting to get interested in.  Doesn't have the measurements, but he's extremely athletic and has an amazing first step and motor.  Draft-only sites have been chattering about him for a while and I'm only just now checking him out.

Chris Smith, DE Arkansas is the guy I'm starting to get interested in.  Doesn't have the measurements, but he's extremely athletic and has an amazing first step and motor.  Draft-only sites have been chattering about him for a while and I'm only just now checking him out.

I watched him awhile ago.  He's a lot like Gilberry, maybe even a tick faster.

DT/DE Dominique Easley - not sure what to make of him.  Too small to be a DT (at his current weight), but not fast enough to be a DE.  He has a heck of a knack for knifing through Olines and causing problems though.  Plays with great leverage and power.  He kind of plays like Geno.

6'2" 288lbs.  Also plays with a lot of energy and a high motor.  

Like Geno, coming off of an ACL tear (his second in college - one to each knee)

Love Easley. Relentless player, always seems to show up.

Knees are an issue for sure but if he checks out I'd be all over him early in day 3.

Gonna start diving into some videos with QBs. Who should I look at first? I am most interested in Garrapalo, Aaron Murray and Mettenberger. I expect us to start looking at a QB atleast as early as round 2.

Mettenberger has a cannon. He struggled reading defenses, etc. early on, but got better. Has a lot of physical ability - more than Murray, but Murray has a lot more playing experience. He's got an above-average arm, can run and seems like a good leader, too. Dalton-like in some ways, IMO.

DE Jackson Jeffcoat, Texas - just a guy. Average speed and power, can only bullrush.

He measured smaller than I thought (weight) but I think he's a guy who has very good physical ability... Just hasn't put it together, except for flashes here and there. He timed faster than I thought he would, so much so that he could get some looks as a 3-4 rush LB.

Until recently, Texas DL have had a pretty big bust factor, but guys like Orakpo, LaMarr Houston, and Sam Acho have all done some good things in the league. Personally, I wouldn't go high for Jeffcoat, but for a 3rd day pick, you could do worse. He's got tools to work with, but he's been hurt a fair amount so he hasn't played a ton.

Archived