Who are you watching? 2014

A bunch of QBs that seem interesting in my first once over that I would love some insight into.

3rd+

Jimmy Garrapolo

6th+

Zach Mettenberger

Aaron Murray

Brett Smith

Logan Thomas

Tom Savage

Stephen Morris

Casey Pachall

Just learning about some of these guys. All are interesting for different reasons. Some would just be UDFAs but still interesting.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2014/03/12/alex-bayer-getting-close-look-from-buccaneers/

Gates can play the Mays role pretty easily. He played at about 215-220 at BG. Essentially played a rover position and was disruptive his Jr year and then moved to safety as a SR. 

Bayer is a poor mans Heath Miller. Not a stud athlete but will catch everything and find spots in the zone. 

A bunch of QBs that seem interesting in my first once over that I would love some insight into.

3rd+
Jimmy Garrapolo
6th+
Zach Mettenberger
Aaron Murray
Brett Smith
Logan Thomas
Tom Savage
Stephen Morris
Casey Pachall

Just learning about some of these guys. All are interesting for different reasons. Some would just be UDFAs but still interesting.

A lot of folks seem to like Savage.

Mettenberger and Murray are coming off significant injury. Morris doesn't impress me.

Pachall is a knucklehead but he's pretty talented.

Seen a lot of blurbs lately on Isaiah Crowell and how talented he is, despite his past.  Seems to have good size.  Is he a potential UDFA or will some team bite the bullet late?

Someone will bite the bullet IMO, but late, as you say.  He's got bell-cow attributes.

Anyone watch anything on Dom Easley from UF?  I see a cat from rotoworld says he has the best explosion off the line, but is coming off his second ACL surgery and is probably going to drop into the second round.  I can't find any highlights..

Anyone watch anything on Dom Easley from UF?  I see a cat from rotoworld says he has the best explosion off the line, but is coming off his second ACL surgery and is probably going to drop into the second round.  I can't find any highlights..

really like Easley.  I call him "Geno Atkins lite".  I think he'd be great for the oline, a guy who can line up at both DT and DE.

can't decide what to make of OT Antonio Richardson. He's considered a top 2 round pick, but doesn't always play like it.  He has prototypical size, and seems like a good athlete, but he loses more than you'd think he should, particularly in the run game where you'd think he'd dominate. He has a tendency to whiff on blocks at the 2nd level.  At the same time, he played well against Jarvis Jones in 2012.  I think Jones only beat him once.  

I'd be hesitant to take him in the 2nd round, but at the same time if he drops 15lbs, works on his technique and takes up yoga he could turn into a very good tackle.

can't decide what to make of OT Antonio Richardson. He's considered a top 2 round pick, but doesn't always play like it.  He has prototypical size, and seems like a good athlete, but he loses more than you'd think he should, particularly in the run game where you'd think he'd dominate. He has a tendency to whiff on blocks at the 2nd level.  At the same time, he played well against Jarvis Jones in 2012.  I think Jones only beat him once.  

I'd be hesitant to take him in the 2nd round, but at the same time if he drops 15lbs, works on his technique and takes up yoga he could turn into a very good tackle.

I heard a couple OL scouting experts (Lance Zeirlein and somebody I think?) talking about him on a podcast and they were saying that the problems he had athletically weren't fixable and they didn't think he could make it at OT in the NFL. They were saying that his teammate Jawuan James is the better prospect despite getting a little less early hype. 

Not sure how true all that is. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to trying to evaluate OL... 

I heard a couple OL scouting experts (Lance Zeirlein and somebody I think?) talking about him on a podcast and they were saying that the problems he had athletically weren't fixable and they didn't think he could make it at OT in the NFL. They were saying that his teammate Jawuan James is the better prospect despite getting a little less early hype. 

Not sure how true all that is. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to trying to evaluate OL... 

yea his issue seems to be bending and running at the same time when trying to block on the second level, lol.  I suggested yoga and weight loss (335 is big for a LT anyway IMO).  Who knows if that would actually be enough.

Most of these have been mentioned before, but these are notes from their pro days.  I would love to have any of these guys in stripes...

Fresno State - Davante Adams' marks included 4.47s/4.48s in the forty, 37 inches in the vertical jump and 10-6 broad. He caught the ball unbelievably well, effortlessly making a number of deep receptions and showing he could run to the long ball.

West Virginia - From all accounts, Charles Sims looked brilliant in position drills. He was fluid, quick and balanced. Sims looked terrific in pass-catching drills, displaying soft and strong hands. Many left the workout with the feeling Sims is a multi-scheme running back who can carry the load at the next level when he's focused.

Missouri - Fast times were run on a speedy track today as a number of players improved their draft stock, starting with defensive lineman Kony Ealy. His marks included 32 inches in the vertical jump, 10-1 broad and a forty time which ranged from 4.56s-to-4.63s. Ealy completed both linebacker and defensive line drills and looked really good. I'm told his athleticism stood out during linebacker drills as he quickly moved in every direction of the field and caught the ball well. As someone told me, it was a "productive day" for Ealy. 

Virginia Tech- Cornerback Kyle Fuller stood on his combine numbers, but stood out in position drills, catching everything thrown to him. I'm told prior to the workout, Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Bill Davis made a point of introducing Fuller to the teams head coach, Chip Kelly. 

Virginia - Finally defensive lineman Brent Urban did not participate in the workout and has been walking around with a boot on his foot. The word I'm hearing, which has not been confirmed, is Urban may have a stress fracture in his foot besides the ankle issue which bothered him all last season.   (assuming he's healthy I think he could be a late round pickup)

BYU- Kyle Van Noy stood on his combine numbers and took part in position drills. The San Diego Chargers, who sat down with Van Noy yesterday for a film/chalkboard session, put the linebacker through his workout. People I spoke with were impressed and they've come away with the same feeling Van Noy gives on film; he's a scheme versatile linebacker who can play three downs.

Oregon State - Scott Crichton sat on his combine numbers, running only the 60-yd shuttle. He did both linebacker and defensive end drills, and I'm told he did a lot of linebacker drills. The Philadelphia Eagles and Indianapolis Colts worked Crichton through the battery of linebacker drills and the 270-lb athlete looked exceptional, easily changing direction and effortlessly moving around the field.

Oregon - Receiver Josh Huff ran terrific routes after timing the forty in the mid 4.4s. In a draft full of receivers, scouts I spoke with fully expect Huff to be one of those guys who slips through the cracks, ends up under-drafted only to go on and have a splendid NFL career.  

Colorado State - Tight end Crockett Gillmore, who's been moving up draft boards, had a swift start to the day timing 4.78s in the forty. Unfortunately for Crockett, that was the end of his pro-day as he pulled/hurt his hamstring during the run. Crockett is a massive player, measuring 6057/260lbs at the combine. He projects as a third tight end at the next level and some feel he will eventually grow into an offensive tackle.  

OT Brandon Thomas, Clemson - now this is a left tackle.  Next to maybe Zack Martin, the best one I've watched.  This is the guy the Bengals should want, expecially if they want to improve the running game.

He could likely come in and start right away at every spot except center.

OT Brandon Thomas, Clemson - now this is a left tackle.  Next to maybe Zack Martin, the best one I've watched.  This is the guy the Bengals should want, expecially if they want to improve the running game.

He could likely come in and start right away at every spot except center.

LOVE LOVE LOVE him.

WR Donte Moncrief, Ole Miss - outside of his speed, he doesn't really impress me.  Not a great blocker or route runner.  I'm much more impressed with a guy like Josh Huff from Oregon.  Huff may be shorter and not as fast, but he's a very solid route runner and gets physical in the run game.  

Just watched Kyle Fuller vs Marshall.  A couple nice plays, but he got burned deep once, and got beat a couple more times where the ball was incomplete.  He did block one punt and almost got another though.

Archived