2014 Opponents Thread

Was Harbaugh-to-CLE Lombardi's idea? in.gif

April, 28, 2014
By Tom Carpenter | ESPN.com

Since being terminated as Cleveland Browns GM, Mike Lombardi has moved on to join the New England Patriots as a special assistant to coach Bill Belichick. Per ESPNCleveland.com's Tony Grossi, CBS announcer Jim Nantz is a friend of Lombardi and told Grossi that Lombardi was the man behind the Browns' attempt to "trade" for San Francisco 49ers coach John Harbaugh.

"Nantz indicated it was Lombardi who made a last-ditch stab for power by back-channelling the discussions between the Browns and 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh in January," wrote Grossi.

“I’ve never had this discussion with Mike, but you know, this whole thing about Jim Harbaugh being entertained by the Browns … you know that was Mike being the one trying to execute that,” Nantz told Grossi. “That’s one of his closest friends, Jim and John Harbaugh. (Jim was) first brought into the NFL by Mike Lombardi. That was a real out-of-the-box move, just like the (Brian) Hoyer thing. That actually had a pulse. I think that was closer than we ever … can you imagine had they pulled that one off?”

Nantz said he would not "confirm" Lombardi was the catalyst of the deal that fell through, but noted, “Jim Harbaugh’s personal assistant was Mike’s son Micky. Jim Harbaugh was hired as a quarterbacks coach for the Oakland Raiders by Mike Lombardi."

If Lombardi was the front-office person behind the attempt, then it's safe to assume this is the last we will hear of Harbaugh-to-Cleveland rumors going forward, since Lombardi is with the Pats and Ray Farmer is now the Browns GM.

How is this possible?  Didn't these guys get caught right after the act?

3 found not guilty in stabbing case
Updated: April 30, 2014, 6:29 PM ET
Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- A jury has found three men not guilty in connection with the stabbing and attempted carjacking of Pittsburgh Steelers lineman Mike Adams last year.

The Allegheny County jury on Wednesday returned not guilty verdicts on all charges against Dquay Means and Michael Paranay. Jerrell Whitlock was found not guilty of the most serious offenses but convicted of a charge of flight to avoid apprehension.

Prosecutors argued that Adams was stabbed during an attempted carjacking in June, but defense attorneys said a fight began after Adams knocked food out of Paranay's hands.

Adams, a 6-foot-7, 325-pound offensive lineman, was hospitalized for four days.

How is this possible?  Didn't these guys get caught right after the act?

3 found not guilty in stabbing case
Updated: April 30, 2014, 6:29 PM ET
Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- A jury has found three men not guilty in connection with the stabbing and attempted carjacking of Pittsburgh Steelers lineman Mike Adams last year.

The Allegheny County jury on Wednesday returned not guilty verdicts on all charges against Dquay Means and Michael Paranay. Jerrell Whitlock was found not guilty of the most serious offenses but convicted of a charge of flight to avoid apprehension.

Prosecutors argued that Adams was stabbed during an attempted carjacking in June, but defense attorneys said a fight began after Adams knocked food out of Paranay's hands.

Adams, a 6-foot-7, 325-pound offensive lineman, was hospitalized for four days.

So if someone knocks food out of my hand, I can wait until he gets in his car awhile later and stab him?  Who would have thought.

Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 18m

The #Browns are expected to sign QB Vince Young to a one-year deal after his tryout, source says. Very cool comeback story

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 12m

The #Browns also just signed QB Tyler Thigpen, source said. Sounds like they liked both QBs in minicamp

Lets hope both fail miserably.   I hate comeback stories that don't involve the Bengals.

I heard that they cut him the day he was reinstated from the suspension

Probably has something to do with the CBA and way the cap works for guys like this.  Cut after re-in-statement and resign sounds like a cap move to me.  Either that or they didn't want to lose him so kept him signed even though they didn't have to pay him.  Worked out deal with agent then the cut and resign.

I heard that they cut him the day he was reinstated from the suspension

Posted Yesterday, 06:18 PM

ESPN - Redskins cut safety Tanard Jackson, who was reinstated by NFL on Monday after drug-related suspension

Probably has something to do with the CBA and way the cap works for guys like this.  Cut after re-in-statement and resign sounds like a cap move to me.  Either that or they didn't want to lose him so kept him signed even though they didn't have to pay him.  Worked out deal with agent then the cut and resign.

When he was reinstated, his old contract from a couple years ago went back into effect. They probably didn't want to pay him however much it called for so they cut him. As a vet he didn't go through waivers so they re-signed him today to a cheap deal. Basically they're telling him he's a long shot to make the roster.

Not sure where else to stick this observation...your living in Baltimore update...Ravens fans are pretty underwhelmed to kinda pissed over the Mosley pick in the 1st round. Accusing Ozzie of too much Alabama bias (they are still mad over how shit Cody has been) at this point and for drafting to a spot where there was not a lot of need to pass up spots where there was.  And having Dallas snatch Zach Martin one spot ahead of them is really pissing them off (goes back to Baltimore losing a coin flip for picking order in the first round). 

In any event, not the usual high fives and happiness from Ravens fans that you tend to get around here (they have always been Ozzie kool-aid drinkers, altho that is waning at this point)...

the steelers fans and ravens fans I've seen, are not happy that the Bengals got Dennard.

What happened last night was like a reversal of the 2000s...when the Steelers/Ravens would be picking in this area and fall into a stud defensive player who fell but shouldn't have while the Bengals were busy reaching for a player and befuddling the fanbase. Man it felt good to see the board come to them again, and the team confidently grab the guy that shouldn't have been there (and fits a need, which is a bonus)...

Archived