2014 Opponents Thread

Hopefully this year we take advantage of Haden.  I do think he's better than that article gives him credit for.  He's not Revis or Sherman, but he's still really good.

Well for god sakes, at least make him work for it.  If we do the 'have the WR stand there for a second waiting' pattern while Haden hangs around I'll go ballistic.  I already noticed that Green did much better against him when going deep or in patterns where he needs to be hit in stride.

I've always felt that Haden was overrated and this article does a decent job of calling that out.  Sure he was a player the Browns probably have to keep becuase he's one of the few good young ones on the roster, but at that price?  No thanks.  I guess it's one of those offers you can't refuse though even if it does mean you have to continue your career in Believeland.

And adding to this why people act like Joe Thomas is God's gift to the left tackle position I have no idea.  I never felt he was anything all that oustanding either.

Early projected AFC standings  

By Aaron Schatz | Football Outsiders

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10963554/new-england-patriots-denver-broncos-top-early-projected-afc-standings-nfl?addata=2009_insdr_mod_nfl_xxx_xxx

AFC North

Pittsburgh Steelers: 9-7 (9.2 mean wins; SOS: 30)
Cincinnati Bengals: 9-7 (8.7 mean wins; SOS: 25)
Baltimore Ravens: 8-8 (7.6 mean wins; SOS: 26)
Cleveland Browns: 6-10 (6.3 mean wins; SOS: 28)

Cincinnati actually comes out slightly better than Pittsburgh in our mean DVOA projections, but that small difference in strength of schedule is enough to predict Pittsburgh as the more likely division champion. The injury assumptions here may be a little off because while Cincinnati had a low number of injuries, they were to very important players like Leon Hall and Geno Atkins. Nonetheless, while Atkins is one of the best defensive tackles in the game, getting Maurkice Pouncey back probably means more to the Steelers than Atkins' return means to the Bengals, because the Bengals had more depth behind Atkins.

Baltimore followed up its Super Bowl-winning season by plummeting to 30th in the Football Outsiders offensive ratings, and it would take a lot of rebound for the Ravens to have another winning season.

Cleveland did very well in this year's draft, but we likely won't see immediate results on the field, especially if Josh Gordon gets suspended for the entire season.

Not sure that I agree that Pouncey coming back is bigger than Atkins returning, but I do agree that it'll be a tight race in the AFCN.

He's just saying that out depth allowed us to handle the loss of Geno better than the Steelers depth did for Pouncey. I think the fact that we stayed the #3 D bares that out.

Not sure what the hell that has to do with projecting next year.  Saying Geno is one of the best in the game, but getting Pouncey back means more makes absolutely no sense.  Getting a 50% Geno back on any team would outweigh a Pouncey return by 100 fold.

Shit I even remember one of the Steelers fans coming on here recently saying he thinks Pouncey is overrated.

He's just saying that out depth allowed us to handle the loss of Geno better than the Steelers depth did for Pouncey. I think the fact that we stayed the #3 D bares that out.

That's all about last year and this article is written about next season.  So I don't really care whose depth helped out last year.  I'm saying going forward I think Geno has as much value to our team if not more than Pouncey.  He frees up the rest of the D-Line and gives the DBs an easier job. 

but it is really hard to grade out non-stat performance lie I'm giving Geno credit for and Pouncey certainly can't be graded on stats either.  So it's an option thing... but my point is really the coerage and depth of last year is irrelevant to the article's intent - a prediction to next season's record.

Not sure what the hell that has to do with projecting next year.  Saying Geno is one of the best in the game, but getting Pouncey back means more makes absolutely no sense.  Getting a 50% Geno back on any team would outweigh a Pouncey return by 100 fold.

Shit I even remember one of the Steelers fans coming on here recently saying he thinks Pouncey is overrated.

Because they are suggesting that getting Pouncey back for them helps them more because they have less behind him, its not a direct comparison on talent so much as it is the respective teams ability to absorb the losses and their depth. Obvisouly Geno is a better DT than Pouncey is a C, it's just a statement on depth is all.

Because they are suggesting that getting Pouncey back for them helps them more because they have less behind him, its not a direct comparison on talent so much as it is the respective teams ability to absorb the losses and their depth. Obvisouly Geno is a better DT than Pouncey is a C, it's just a statement on depth is all.

I guess I look at is as if he's back why do I care who is (or was) behind him?  They're saying when Pouncey is back it will have a more positive impact than when Geno is back, that's it.

They're not saying this is a +/- in wins from last year, they're simply projecting w/L record based on who is on the team and our schedules.   No need to read into what the depth chart looks (or looked) like. 

We don't play the cowboys this year and I hate them almost as much as the stealers..but this is brutal....

First day of OTA's....I don't root for this kind of shit....damn

Well.. I mean since Hines Ward retired..

https://twitter.com/DMN_George/status/471412534033936387

Got a good laugh out of that and then I remembered....Me too.

Ravens having a stellar offseason.  All hail Ozzie!

RB Taliaferro: Drunk in public charge
Updated: May 27, 2014, 5:02 PM ET
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

Rookie running back Lorenzo Taliaferro became the fourth Baltimore Ravens player to get arrested this year when he was charged with being drunk in public and destruction of property early Saturday morning in Williamsburg, Virginia.

Police told the Virginia Gazette that Taliaferro was charged with breaking a window in a taxi cab that was located a block away from the incident after leaving the scene. Both charges are misdemeanors.

A team source said Taliaferro has admitted to breaking the window accidentally and paid to repair it.

"We're aware of the situation and have discussed with Lorenzo," read a statement from the Ravens. "He will have his due process and the opportunity to talk about what happened."

This incident occurred two weeks after the Ravens selected Taliaferro in the fourth round of the NFL draft. He is expected to be the team's No. 3 running back this season and was drafted as insurance in case Ray Rice was suspended for his off-the-field issue.

Taliaferro produced 1,729 yards and 27 touchdowns last season at Coastal Carolina. The Ravens haven't commented publicly on Taliaferro's arrest.

He becomes the latest Ravens player to be arrested, joining Rice, wide receiver Deonte Thompson and offensive lineman Jah Reid. Only Reid's legal issue remains unresolved. His misdemeanor battery case is set for June 4.

Rice avoided prosecution last week by being accepted into a pretrial intervention program after being indicted on one count of third-degree aggravated assault. Thompson had misdemeanor drug charges dismissed in April.

Archived